Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannatalktoSampson View Post
Im really starting to come around to the Titus Young and Leshoure picks. Of course like every other Lions fan, i wanted them to get linebackers and corners with those picks. BUT, if you look at who was available, there wasn't really much talent with those positions. Overall this was a very weak draft class and i believe Mayhew really got some of the best players. Leshoure reminds me of Mendenhall, Titus Young reminds me of a poor man's Percy Harvin. I can tell we're going to be very excited with these picks when we see em on the field. Stafford...please stay healthy.
I agree looking at 2nd round pick there weren't many guys who I am like I can't believe we passed on this guy. The guys I wanted Ayers,Dowling and Carter were gone. Possibly Martez Wilson in the 2nd round but he went mid 3rd before the Lions 3rd round pick and Mason Foster if we stayed at the 3rd round pick he went later 3rd so we could have taken Foster. Orlando Franklin would have been a nice pick too but Titus Young defintiely fits our team. I mean our 3rd-5th Wrs combined for 21 receptions and we have nobody with deep speed other than Calvin. Burleson isn't young, Derrick Williams is a bust and Bryant Johnson is a FA bust. Young fits plus punt return bonus although Logan did decent at punt return but is a better KR.

Once Ras I Dowling went off the board, that was the last plug in starter quality CB in this draft. I think Brandon Harris is a good nickel in this league given his size and the rest of the corners in Rounds 3-4 I don't see being better than Alphonso Smith in 2011(a second round pick by the way) along with Houston(2nd round pick corner). We're fine at nickel IMO and one starter with Houston.

If we get a solid CB in free agency I think we're better off with a veteran for 2011 due to the lockout. Houston,Richard Marshall for example, Alphonso Smith, Aaaron Berry and Vasher works with Delmas,Spievey and Coleman at safety. Our pass D got better by the way last year once we switched to Alphonso Smith and got rid of the garbage known as Jonathan Wade until the Patriot game where we all know what happened to Smith. But thats Tom Brady. We were torched way more in the beginning of the year with Wade as our second corner.

As for LeShoure, it's a 2 back league and if we stuck at Pick 75, LeShoure, Daniel Thomas and Murray could have been off the board. Miami would have taken LeShoure, Dallas took Murray both ahead of us, so if some teams takes LeShoure before Miami, we miss out on all 3 backs and are relying on Maurice Morris to spell Best who hasn't proven he can be a 200 plus carry back. Are we reaching for Ridley and Alex Green in the 3rd or taking Mason Foster or Oline in the 3rd without the trade up.

Fairley,Young and LeShoure(losing only a 4th) were good picks.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm counting on one of Stephen Tulloch/Nicholas, and one CB. I think we should offer everything to Asomugha, I doubt he'll come here but it's worth a shot.

Or maybe we can get ALL THREE.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I'm also still skeptical on the young and leshoure picks simply just because I feel as if we drafted our 3 biggest strengths with our first 3 picks.
Detriot was 23rd in the NFL in rushing last year. Best has yet to prove he can stay healthy and even if he can he isnt an every down HB and the team knew that.

Last edited by georgiafan : 05-03-2011 at 07:50 AM.
georgiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 (potential) imapct players in this draft is good for me not great. I like the players, & a bruiser back & #3 WR were totally on my shopping list for Detroit as well.

* I say only "good" not great b/c it's well noted on here that I think RB's are sort of interchangeable in the NFL. Detroit now has a 1st & 2nd rd (& 4th?) pick invested at that spot & are in the bottom third in rushing. Here is to improving that area quickly! The investment needs to pay off ...

* Another "good" not great realization is Titus Young will likely shine not by his stats but what his presence potentially can do for BP & CJ (Burelson too). Face it, those our Detorit's most potent weapons in the pass game & seemingly Stafford's favorite targets. A speedy deep threat will catch a few but his impact will not come from catches likely, it wil be in allowing the other weapons to win 1 on 1 match ups. I think 44th pick could be utilized else where (to me Mayhew loved this kid & slipped in his BPA once it was their pick & Young was stil lavailable) Often teams take a field stretcher or a "decoy" like this in later rounds, that is how I would apporached the value for the position... Just my opinion.

* Lastly, "good" not great b/c teh 5th & 7th were head scratches. Got it, verdict still out on a small school T & a LB who was a RB 2 yers ago who will paly special teams for sure. BUT teams like GB (Ted Thompson) slays those late rounds! Just quickly & some fo these rds may be off but the point is made: impact palyers like RB Starks (6th), WR Driver (7th), T Tauscher (7th), C Wells (7th), DE Kampman (5th), Chamura, Levens, Schroeder on & on ... late round guys who not only crack th line up but some that wil lbe in the Packer H of F some day! Detroit needs to get better at utilizing late round picks. Bottom line.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard to say on the late round picks until they are given time to develop. I really like Hogue. He seems very athletic and instinctive. I think if he has the time to develop for a year or two he could become a very good backer. I like our draft because we went for the best players available at the time. I love how we didnt reach for CBs and Linebackers in a weak class for those positions. There is no point in filling a need if you dont feel like the player will be a gamebreaker for years to come. I think with our top 3 picks, we drafted gamebreakers. Next years draft is gonna be heavy in CBs and LBs, thats when we need to load up. This class also set us up for years to come. We can focus primarily on CB, LB and O-line. Gotta draft with the strength of the draft and not reach on need, we did a great job at that.
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At first I really didn't like the lions draft due to passing on Amukamara and Quinn as well as not addressing CB and getting a developmental OLB and OT. But then I looked at it again.

What is the greatest weakness of the Green Bay Packers?
What is the greatest weakness of the Chicago Bears?
What is the greatest weakness of the Minnisota Vikings?

If you aske me it is interior OLine has got to be one of the major weaknesses for all three. Enter Fairley and Suh. Instead of trying to compete with the strengths of those teams we are going hard after their weaknesses.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Savage View Post
Hard to say on the late round picks until they are given time to develop. I really like Hogue. He seems very athletic and instinctive. I think if he has the time to develop for a year or two he could become a very good backer. I like our draft because we went for the best players available at the time. I love how we didnt reach for CBs and Linebackers in a weak class for those positions. There is no point in filling a need if you dont feel like the player will be a gamebreaker for years to come. I think with our top 3 picks, we drafted gamebreakers. Next years draft is gonna be heavy in CBs and LBs, thats when we need to load up. This class also set us up for years to come. We can focus primarily on CB, LB and O-line. Gotta draft with the strength of the draft and not reach on need, we did a great job at that.
I agree with the 2nd half of your point, have some issues with the first half ...

Agree that CB talent will be a plenty next draft ... so maybe Detroit focuses there or finally they target the LT to replace Backus for 2012 on. I read up to 6 CB's gone in the top 20 in several mocks for 2012. I also agree with your point that the top 3 this draft are potential gamebreakers. (It's just unfortunate we really only got 3 players)

Disagree with the part about you saying that an entire class of a certain position (CB/LB) is weak in a draft. Would you be saying that if Amukamara/Foster were our #13 & #44 picks? No way, we all would expect both to step in & start, right?
So then in the next sentence you say with some development our 5th round selection (like the 20th overall LB taken in your definiton of a "weak" class ) can become a "very good backer"? I don't get that ...
So we may have reached for a WR in Young (my opinion) but b/c Detroit did not reach for a CB/LB (probably a bigger position of need) in weak classes it's okay. I'm willing to bet several of those 2/3/4 rd CB's we passed on like Harris/Carmichael/Burton/House/Brown could be starters in this league. I think that (starting CB) has more value than #3 WR especially in the double TE sets Linehan always runs!
If you go there on labeling 2 positions as weak, by your definition, RB was clearly weak this draft. Proof was in how many were taken Day 1, & Ingram was it right? So didn't Detroit then take a player from a weak position in this draft in Leshoure? I don't think they did, but that is sort of my point. Painting an entire position as weak in a draft is tough b/c there will be starters/possibly Pro Bowlers/possibly H of F in those groups of CB/LB's. History has proven that to be right.

On a seperate note, I just felt Titus Young was a guy Mayhew & crew targeted from the all star circuit & combine forward, really liked him, but also maybe overvalued him ... With Calvin, Pettigrew, Burleson & Scheffler, along with a healthy Best out of the back field, & Leshoure pounding the rock more up the gut, realistically how many touches will a guy like Titus Young get a game? He's a top 50 pick ... I would rather get a guy who would get you 90 solid tackles a year (6/game) (Mason Foster) & be in on every defensive play, than a guy gettting approx. 35 catches a year (2-3/game) with maybe a couple TD's.
Face it, BP, Best, CJ, Leshoure, Scheff, Burelson get the TD's in this offense. I know B. Johnson & D. Williams were awful at #3 last season, but partially it is b/c the offense does not flow to them. RB out of the backfield or TE are check downs before the slot WR in Linehan's offnese since in Detroit.
Does anyone else see it this way?

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 05-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I agree with the 2nd half of your point, have some issues with the first half ...

Disagree with the part about you saying that an entire class of a certain position (CB/LB) is weak in a draft. Would you be saying that if Amukamara/Foster were our #13 & #44 picks? No way, we all would expect both to step in & start, right?

Quote:
We might expect it but it doesn't mean they were great prospects. The CB and LB class were terrible in this year's draft. It was forcing teams to overestimate the Prince but in the end, his talent level got him drafted at #19 where in my opinion is exactly where he belonged.
So then in the next sentence you say with some development our 5th round selection (like the 20th overall LB taken in your definiton of a "weak" class ) can become a "very good backer"? I don't get that ...

Quote:
5th to 7th round picks are always developmental, they can do 1 thing well but need a lot of work on the rest of their game. That doesn't equate to a bad class, that is formulated by the top 3 rounds of the draft, after that it is even more of a crap shoot although I completely agree that some teams are superb at finding talent there.
So we may have reached for a WR in Young (my opinion) but b/c Detroit did not reach for a CB/LB (probably a bigger position of need) in weak classes it's okay. I'm willing to bet several of those 2/3/4 rd CB's we passed on like Harris/Carmichael/Burton/House/Brown could be starters in this league. I think that (starting CB) has more value than #3 WR especially in the double TE sets Linehan always runs!

Quote:
I think you'll see that the CB's you mentioned will almost to a man only be starters through injuries. Again, this CB class was extremely weak forcing teams to overdraft them if they wanted one. I clearly see Mayhew as targeting one or even possibly 2 in FA whenever it takes place.
I think you are underestimating Young's impact. WR's like Young even in a worse case scenario, open up the field for other receivers by creating space in which they can operate. Reggie Bush is another example of a players who accomplishes this. His stats as a RB may be mediocre but he has to be accounted for on every passing play and he opens up the field for the rest of NO's WR's.
If you go there on labeling 2 positions as weak, by your definition, RB was clearly weak this draft. Proof was in how many were taken Day 1, & Ingram was it right? So didn't Detroit then take a player from a weak position in this draft in Leshoure? I don't think they did, but that is sort of my point. Painting an entire position as weak in a draft is tough b/c there will be starters/possibly Pro Bowlers/possibly H of F in those groups of CB/LB's. History has proven that to be right.

Quote:
RB was not considered a weak position in this year's draft, true there wasn't one great RB prospect in this year's draft but the depth of the position was superb with many potential starters to be found in rounds 2 and even 3. Mikel carried a lot of 1st round grades but the position pushed him down like it does for OC's and OG's.
The draft doesn't concern itself with what might possibly happen down the line at any position, it looks at each prospect individually, and rates him against a standard that each scout and GM has established over years. By those standards they rated the LB and CB crop exceptionally weak. They cannot see the future on how hard a prospect might work to improve himself, they can only see the prospect as he is today.
On a seperate note, I just felt Titus Young was a guy Mayhew & crew targeted from the all star circuit & combine forward, really liked him, but also maybe overvalued him ... With Calvin, Pettigrew, Burleson & Scheffler, along with a healthy Best out of the back field, & Leshoure pounding the rock more up the gut, realistically how many touches will a guy like Titus Young get a game? He's a top 50 pick ... I would rather get a guy who would get you 90 solid tackles a year (6/game) (Mason Foster) & be in on every defensive play, than a guy gettting approx. 35 catches a year (2-3/game) with maybe a couple TD's.
Face it, BP, Best, CJ, Leshoure, Scheff, Burelson get the TD's in this offense. I know B. Johnson & D. Williams were awful at #3 last season, but partially it is b/c the offense does not flow to them. RB out of the backfield or TE are check downs before the slot WR in Linehan's offnese since in Detroit.
Again, I'll reiterate, WR's like Young in a worse case scenario, open up the passing lanes for their teammates even if they have mediocre stats and I'm not saying Young will have mediocre stats. They are invaluable on an offense.
Watch how open NO's WR's get because teams have to account for Reggie Bush on passing downs. I've heard a # of former NFL HC's on NFLN, talk about how when they had to game plan for NO, Reggie Bush was the focus of their attention, on how they were going to defend NO's passing attack. People get caught up in stats and often don't recognize other aspects of a player's abilities when talking about players.
I strongly believe Young will be one of those players who has to be accounted for on every play opening up the passing lanes for Johnson. Johnson is going to love this guy for what he will do to opponents pass defense.
I recognize that you believe in this as well, but you weren't mentioning it here.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 05-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Agree that CB talent will be a plenty next draft ... so maybe Detroit focuses there or finally they target the LT to replace Backus for 2012 on. I read up to 6 CB's gone in the top 20 in several mocks for 2012. I also agree with your point that the top 3 this draft are potential gamebreakers. (It's just unfortunate we really only got 3 players)

Harris,Carmichael,Burton,House,Brown and Allen were not BPA over Young or LeShoure. Harris and Young were close but I think Harris is nothing more than a nickel in this league and the Lions have plenty of them.

I think Martez Wilson or Orlando Franklin were about equal to Titus Young BPA wise but we went with the burner who is a polished route runner. I just feel Ras I Dowling was the last plug in starter at CB.

Bryant Johnson and Derrick Williams have been given 2 years and they have failed. 3rd WR is still important even with other weapons but the most important thing as mentioned is we should have another deep threat opposite Calvin. This will open things up. Burleson isn't a deep threat but is our number 2 WR and will move to the slot when Young is on the field to be the deep outside threat. Bryant and DWill didn't have the catches because they didn't get open or in DWills case wasn't on the field and didn't deserve to be on the field. If Young gets open he will get catches. One more guy getting open is a good thing instead of forcing the ball into double coverage. Calvin will still get his touches and Pettigrew too and we will find ways to get him open but it will hopefully be nice if Young works out not to rely on Calvin in double coverage or a check down or intermediate route to Pettigrew. Calvin and Pettigrew will be the redzone targets but Young has big value(worth Round 2) for this offense if he proves to be a deep threat which we have never had since Calvin has been here. Even as a decoy that other teams defenses have to respect helps. But first Young has to prove he can get open and make big plays.

As for the late round gems mentioned. Most of those Packers were not Ted Thompson picks. Driver and Tauscher were Ron Wolf and Kampman,Jenkins were Sherman. Starks, Grant(through trade) and Jolly were late round Thompson guys though. Mayhew has been utilizing late round picks as well. 5th rounder for Sims and 5th for Corey Williams, 6th/7th for Houston, 7th for Hill, 6th for Jackson and 6th/Gronkowski(7th rounder) for Alphonso Smith. I think the lockout hurt us some as Mayhew could have gotten a decent veteran for that 5th round pick on par with Sims or Corey Williams. But I like Hogues potential. Follett started for us, Murtha was scooped up from the Dolphins(so maybe Cullbreath has potential we don't know about), Gronkowski was turned into Alphonso Smith,and Aaron Brown is hanging around for now and Willie Young had a good preseason last year and was put on the active roster so he wouldn't be taken. Mayhew does well in late rounds too with trades or guys people at least want on their roster.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

And another note with both Young and Leshoue on the field at the same time. On 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 2, you really can't tell if we are going to run or pass with Stafford,Oline,Pettigrew,Calvin,Burleson,Young,Pet tigrew and the bruiser LeShoure now. With Best, defenses had to be thinking pass since Best doesn't move piles or Morris sucking not being relied upon in 3rd and short.

So many different formations possible.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Again, I'll reiterate, WR's like Young in a worse case scenario, open up the passing lanes for their teammates even if they have mediocre stats and I'm not saying Young will have mediocre stats. They are invaluable on an offense.
Watch how open NO's WR's get because teams have to account for Reggie Bush on passing downs. I've heard a # of former NFL HC's on NFLN, talk about how when they had to game plan for NO, Reggie Bush was the focus of their attention, on how they were going to defend NO's passing attack. People get caught up in stats and often don't recognize other aspects of a player's abilities when talking about players.
I strongly believe Young will be one of those players who has to be accounted for on every play opening up the passing lanes for Johnson. Johnson is going to love this guy for what he will do to opponents pass defense.
I recognize that you believe in this as well, but you weren't mentioning it here.
Seriously New Orleans? You are going there with an offensive comparison to Detroit/TD Young?! I understand how THEY utilize Bush, but THE offensvie guru in football in Sean Payton calling plays with Drew Brees chucking the ball around the yard ... & you are comparing a guy who played ball at Boise State (who has yet to play in the league) to Reggie Bush? Even if Stafford can get 100% he is not Brees (yet) & Scott "vanilla" Linehan calling plays (only in my dreams) would look like what Payton is doing in NO's.
A rising tide raises all ships ... got that, Bush's skills set does as much for his teamates as the crafty play calling or the QB or the talented WR's they have. But Titus Young is only 175 lbs & only a 4.5 guy .. it's not like he can not be be jammed at the los (he's a bean pole!) or caught if he makes a move (most CB's also run 4.4 - 4.6 40's) not to mention he played sub par competition week in & week out on the blue turf in Idaho. Would he have looked that dyanmic in the SEC? Bush was on a team that took on all comers who won the NC, he took home the Heisman, he played in the Pac 10 etc. Titus Young has big shoes to fill. I know he talks a big game, we'll see.

I know what you want to see but really is that the same comparison? If any player is Detorit's poor man's Reggie Bush it's now Jahvid Best.

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 05-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Seriously New Orleans? You are going there with an offensive comparison to Detroit/TD Young?! I understand how THEY utilize Bush, but THE offensvie guru in football in Sean Payton calling plays with Drew Brees chucking the ball around the yard ... & you are comparing a guy who played ball at Boise State (who has yet to play in the league) to Reggie Bush? Even if Stafford can get 100% he is not Brees (yet) & Scott "vanilla" Linehan calling plays (only in my dreams) would look like what Payton is doing in NO's.
A rising tide raises all ships ... got that, Bush's skills set does as much for his teamates as the crafty play calling or the QB or the talented WR's they have. But Titus Young is only 175 lbs & only a 4.5 guy .. it's not like he can not be be jammed at the los (he's a bean pole!) or caught if he makes a move (most CB's also run 4.4 - 4.6 40's) not to mention he played sub par competition week in & week out on the blue turf in Idaho. Would he have looked that dyanmic in the SEC? Bush was on a team that took on all comers who won the NC, he took home the Heisman, he played in the Pac 10 etc. Titus Young has big shoes to fill. I know he talks a big game, we'll see.

I know what you want to see but really is that the same comparison? If any player is Detorit's poor man's Reggie Bush it's now Jahvid Best.
It depends on whose judgment you believe, Mayock called him a poor man's DeSean Jackson, a prospect, who is an excellent route runner with great hands. His a 1st round talent who fell to round 2 like DeSean because of his size. I don't care where he played, that is what the post season decides and in the post season, this guy stood out.
I think Detroit's offense can approach NO's, of course, Stafford has to stay healthy but all the weapons are in place.
Last year, I saw real glimpses of an offense with tremendous potential even with Hill at QB and Best injured, this year should be even better with Stafford and a healthy Best.
Sure, by the following season, the OL may have to be rebuilt because of age and or retirement but the pieces are in place for something special IMO for this coming season.
I even expect a vastly improved defense because our DL should be another monster, taking a lot of pressure off of our LB's and DB's.
I say I'm expecting an 8-8 season but if health goes our way, we could potentially go even higher and this draft could provide the extra pieces to put it together.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Young reminds me of a young, 10 lbs underfed Chad Ochocinco. He's a deep threat who will beat you with speed and technique, but not necessarily super speed. He also is highly entertaining and we will have 3 years before he realizes how good he really is.

We have depth for our scheme. Our offense could be great with Shaun Hill leading it, let alone Stafford. Our defense is driven by the line play and we have made changes to help next to Delmas. I seriously do think that we can just bully people with a manlier version of the Colts. We will score points, force other teams into the hole, then unleash Suh, Fairley, Williams, Avril, KVB, etc. The combo of Stafford and Shaun Hill will determine our team's success. Avoid mistakes, run the score up, and we should be good.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Here are the draft picks viewed by NFL writer Rick Gosselin as the best values in each round:

First round - NICK FAIRLEY, DT, DETROIT: The Lions had a choice between DTs Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy with the second overall pick in 2010. They took Suh. Fairley is better than McCoy, and the Lions got him at 13. A dynamic pass rusher.

Wow, One man's opinion ... but the only man I saw that actually mocked Fairley to Detroit @ 13.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Young reminds me of a young, 10 lbs underfed Chad Ochocinco. He's a deep threat who will beat you with speed and technique, but not necessarily super speed. He also is highly entertaining and we will have 3 years before he realizes how good he really is.

We have depth for our scheme. Our offense could be great with Shaun Hill leading it, let alone Stafford. Our defense is driven by the line play and we have made changes to help next to Delmas. I seriously do think that we can just bully people with a manlier version of the Colts. We will score points, force other teams into the hole, then unleash Suh, Fairley, Williams, Avril, KVB, etc. The combo of Stafford and Shaun Hill will determine our team's success. Avoid mistakes, run the score up, and we should be good.
Much better comparison than Reggie Bush.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Lions made a play for Patrick Peterson

Not sure if anyone posted about this yet. Interesting that the Lions put together a huge package for PP, but gotta be pretty happy with the way it turned out when you consider the value they got at 13 (along with getting Young and Leshoure).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...medium=twitter

Also interesting to note Angelo trading up the 2nd time in 10 years. Gives me a warm fuzzy that we have a competent GM in Detroit. Angelo is such a knob.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
Not sure if anyone posted about this yet. Interesting that the Lions put together a huge package for PP, but gotta be pretty happy with the way it turned out when you consider the value they got at 13 (along with getting Young and Leshoure).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...medium=twitter

Also interesting to note Angelo trading up the 2nd time in 10 years. Gives me a warm fuzzy that we have a competent GM in Detroit. Angelo is such a knob.
Would have been interesting if Cards accepted. Not enough value though, Cards probably wanted our 3rd and liked Peterson of course.

Patrick Peterson and Mason Foster in 3rd would have been interesting. Needs on D would be taken care of but we have one less good prospect on our team losing Young and LeShoure but gaining a Foster. I would feel really good about our D but still have questions on offense that I would want addressed in free agency mainly solid RB to carry some of the load and speed WR. Either way we are addressing 2 positions in free agency but not trading we make our Dline much stronger too for the future plus finish off the offense.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
IwannatalktoSampson
Rookie

IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.IwannatalktoSampson is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id gladly have Patrick Peterson and Mason Foster than Nick Fairley, Young, and Leshoure
IwannatalktoSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's funny, I was all for going all in on Patrick Peterson too. I'm more than happy with our draft though.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
That's funny, I was all for going all in on Patrick Peterson too. I'm more than happy with our draft though.
So was Mayhew. I agree WMD, I like our draft the way it turned out.
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannatalktoSampson View Post
Id gladly have Patrick Peterson and Mason Foster than Nick Fairley, Young, and Leshoure
Me too but that deal wasn't offered I guess though when I think about it. Cards didn't accept. Cards wanted more than 1st, 2nd and 4th. So it would have been Peterson and 4th round LB/WR/RB/Tackle(not Foster) if we gave up 1st,2nd and 3rd rounder. I guess we could have used the 4th and 5th to trade up to get Foster though. Patrick Peterson,Mason Foster,Cullbreath and go RB and speed WR in FA.

Or stay pat at 4th and 5th. Peterson,(Kendall Hunter, Delone Carter or Edmond Gates based on the board), Doug Hogue,Cullbreath and go LB and either RB or speed WR(not taken in Round 4) in FA.

Every possibility we still need two solid/good players somewhere in free agency to have a more complete team but in the scenario that happened we got an extra future stud on the Dline and still only 2 major holes on the team. Not counting what people think of the Oline. Although if we took Prince we would only have one hole for free agency as a solid OLB would be needed plus whatever Hogue/Palmer/Carpenter/Dizon/Follett can muster at the other spot. No stud Dline but only one major hole anywhere and issues at Right Tackle IMO with Gosders injury.

All in all I still would rather have 3 good prospects even if Fairley wasn't a need. Down the line it's a good pick as Corey Williams will be gone after 2012 season or able to be traded after 2011 season for value.

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 05-04-2011 at 01:46 PM.