Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Boise State To MWC Could Happen By Next Week

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_15207026

Interesting article about the MWC wanting to be more aggressive than previously thought.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should bring Fresno State with them
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the baseball thing could really kill this. But I guess not. I'm ******* absolutely loving this!!!

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this happens...

MWC >>> Big East

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
If this happens...

MWC >>> Big East
That's what I was thinking too

like I said, I'd love to see Fresno State come with them because Hill runs a great program that is consistently competes and plays well in bowl games.

And it certainly gives the MW a powerful argument for getting an automatic bid
Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
That's what I was thinking too

like I said, I'd love to see Fresno State come with them because Hill runs a great program that is consistently competes and plays well in bowl games.

And it certainly gives the MW a powerful argument for getting an automatic bid
Yeah I would love to see Fresno State in the Mountain West. Their offense is prototypical for the MW.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Yeah I would love to see Fresno State in the Mountain West. Their offense is prototypical for the MW.
I disagree with that part sort of. Fresno State was a really interesting matchup with Boise State last year, because so many people don't buy that Boise State's defense could stop a big, power running team. Well, Fresno State brought Ryan Mathews and Lonyae Miller, who were both big, big backs at about 230lbs each and Mathews obviously very fast and Boise State won.

Pat Hill is good at adapting his offense to his talent and as a result, he can usually provide a good measuring stick for a team like Boise State and I think they'd do very well in the MW.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I disagree with that part sort of. Fresno State was a really interesting matchup with Boise State last year, because so many people don't buy that Boise State's defense could stop a big, power running team. Well, Fresno State brought Ryan Mathews and Lonyae Miller, who were both big, big backs at about 230lbs each and Mathews obviously very fast and Boise State won.

Pat Hill is good at adapting his offense to his talent and as a result, he can usually provide a good measuring stick for a team like Boise State and I think they'd do very well in the MW.
You lost me.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The case can be made for Fresno State to join the MWC but the case could also be made for Houston, who I feel is the slightly better choice if the Mountain West chooses to add one more team.

Houston has a larger endowment ($491 million compared to Fresno State's $91.4 million), better research facilities, boast a similar W-L record since 2002 (57-45 compared to Fresno's 63-41), and offer the Houston TV market. While Fresno State is more competitive in baseball, Houston is more competitive in basketball. Both offer the ability to serve as travel partners: Houston with TCU and Fresno State with San Diego State.

What pushes Houston above Fresno State is that their endowment is much larger, they have better research facilities, and offer a larger market. The Mountain West, even with the addition of Boise State, would still sit at ten teams which still leaves the possibility open of inviting two more teams which very well could be both Houston AND Fresno State.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
The Mountain West, even with the addition of Boise State, would still sit at ten teams which still leaves the possibility open of inviting two more teams which very well could be both Houston AND Fresno State.
I just came

Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
You lost me.
I don't think anyone in the MW can boast 2 running backs like Fresno State had last year in terms of size/speed.

Personally, I'd take Fresno State over Houston, both because it's in California as opposed to another team in Texas and has been more consistent year to year in football, but if you can get both, do it
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this happens, the Mountain West could become the best football conference in the country. They are vastly under-rated as is. They're better than the Big East, already.

If they don't get an automatic bid, I will be mad. They have 4 great teams last year. A 5th team would be unbelievable.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
If this happens, the Mountain West could become the best football conference in the country. They are vastly under-rated as is. They're better than the Big East, already.

If they don't get an automatic bid, I will be mad. They have 4 great teams last year. A 5th team would be unbelievable.
Not even close, but nice try
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't think anyone in the MW can boast 2 running backs like Fresno State had last year in terms of size/speed.
awww ok I got you. But again, I think their high powered offense would be a nice fit in the MW.

Also Utah has a pair of very nice RBs in Wide III and Asiata. and TCU always has good RBs. BYU just lost their ******* RB to unprotected sex but they got some very talented players waiting in the wings.

No one really on Matthews level though.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not even close, but nice try
Don't be jealous that they would have 5 teams that outperformed the other conferences last year, in spite of not being given fair chances at bowls due to TV ratings.

The SEC and the Big 12 are the only two conferences you could even argue that were better last year.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Don't be jealous that they would have 5 teams that outperformed the other conferences last year, in spite of not being given fair chances at bowls due to TV ratings.

The SEC and the Big 12 are the only two conferences you could even argue that were better last year.
A. I'm not jealous. I'm all for them getting an automatic bid and I think they are underrated and disrespected constantly.

B. The idea that the MWC with Boise State and let's throw in Houston and Fresno State just to bolster them are still 4th at best in terms of conference strength behind the SEC, Big XII, and Big Ten. And if the Big Ten gets Notre Dame and Nebraska, suddenly it's the SEC and the Big Ten as #1 and #2.

Boise State is a great program, but if they had to play a full schedule against the SEC, they'd get worn down by SEC Defensive Tackles, which is the entire reason they are the best conference in the country. Boise just doesn't have the size to match up week in and week out. When they are in a one game match up, it's an any given sunday situation, but that leads me into my third point.

C. The Mountain West was 5-1 last year in Bowls? Somewhere around there. They earned it. No question. However, in a game like where Utah beat Alabama, there is a factor that cannot be ignored. When a mid major gets into a game like that, it's the Super Bowl for them. They are playing for their several conferences and it's the biggest game of their lives. When a team like Alabama or another big time program with big expectations every year ends up in a game like that, it's a dissapointment and at times, the play on the field looks like it. They just do not see the game the same way. This is not even up for debate. It's a reality. The team that wins, wins, but it's still a factor.

D. How do TV ratings enter this discussion. First, the WAC I believe outperformed the Big East and ACC in TV ratings. Second, that would have no impact on how the teams play on the field. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make there.

The Mountain West with those teams would be a great conference, but the idea that you have them over the SEC is just outrageous and I'll take the Big XII and Big Ten over them.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They should bring Fresno State with them
If they go, Fresno St. will stay & own the place. And if they go it will make Fresno St, San Jose St, etc. very happy indeed.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Totally off topic but San Jose State does such a terrible job recruiting in the San Jose are. Like they could have it ON LOCK if they so choose to (along with the Monterey, Salinas, and Santa Cruz areas. It pisses me off. Just thought I would put that out there.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
If they go, Fresno St. will stay & own the place. And if they go it will make Fresno St, San Jose St, etc. very happy indeed.
The Mountain West, whether Boise State goes or not, is going to get an automatic bid for BCS games eventually and they will get more money. If Boise State does go, the MW is going to make huge money in TV sooner than later. The WAC without Boise State might as well be the MEAC or Sun Belt. Fresno State both from a competitive standpoint and a financial standpoint would benefit greatly from the move. And the MW would get into California for TV and for recruiting. Win, win
Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
The Mountain West, whether Boise State goes or not, is going to get an automatic bid for BCS games eventually and they will get more money. If Boise State does go, the MW is going to make huge money in TV sooner than later. The WAC without Boise State might as well be the MEAC or Sun Belt. Fresno State both from a competitive standpoint and a financial standpoint would benefit greatly from the move. And the MW would get into California for TV and for recruiting. Win, win
The Mountain West is already in California for tv and recruiting. They have San Diego State.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
The Mountain West is already in California for tv and recruiting. They have San Diego State.
I guess... they kinda suck, but I'll refine that to Northern California
Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this really happens, then the MWC is about to become the third best conference in football.

No joking.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
If this really happens, then the MWC is about to become the third best conference in football.

No joking.
I'm assuming you have SEC and the Big XII as the top 2.

So easy to be down on the Big Ten but let's compare the top teams from each conference

Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Iowa

compared to...

Boise State
TCU
Utah
BYU

You're telling me you're taking the MW over the Big Ten? Seriously?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Totally off topic but San Jose State does such a terrible job recruiting in the San Jose are. Like they could have it ON LOCK if they so choose to (along with the Monterey, Salinas, and Santa Cruz areas. It pisses me off. Just thought I would put that out there.
Not to hijack the thread, but the SJ St. FB program is hanging on by its fingernails. It has to schedule national powers (open @ Alabama in September) & Pac 10 teams (opened at USC last yr) for the big paychecks to keep their other athletic programs floating. I sometimes think the NCAA rule allowing players to transfer & play immediately if their school drops FB or goes down an NCAA division level is the only thing keeping their roster intact.

There is a determined effort by SJSU faculty & others here in San Jose to eliminate FB, just too costly, & losing teams can't recruit as Yay pointed out. The whole Cal St. University system is is serious budget trouble, not rich like the UC system, & when professors get laid off they can't justify retaining the FB & other athletic coaches. So the Spartans FB team has to play these outmanned games, lose by 4-50 points/game, & collect the paycheck. But it's just a matter of time before they drop down Div. II or go the zero-sum route, just eliminate FB altogether, IDK what they'll do with the Jeff Garcia Sports Auditorium though....
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Yeah or DI-AA.