Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-04-2010, 02:35 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe
While that idea is good on paper, it just wouldn't work.

First off, the number 1 deciding factor in conference expansion is how much more money are you going to bring in with said team. And how do you get that money? With TV Market and fan base. I don't see how Houston and TCU add to that with the juggernaut Texas and also Texas A&M occupying the state. And even then, TCU and Houston don't have all that large of fan bases to begin with.

Also, the Texas Division looks like fun, but odds are it would hurt recruiting. One of the biggest advantages of playing big time college football is being able to visit new places and go to different states and such. However, in this Texas Division, you are talking about at least 8 or 9 games in the state of Texas every year. And while it seems like it could be fun and would be nice for parents, it could also get boring. Other schools can offer an athlete the chance to travel around the country to 5 or 6 different states every year. While the major texas schools can offer a lot of texas and 2 or 3 games in different states.

I just don't see it working. But you definitely need to split up OU and Texas.
It worked in the old Southwest Conference which lasted for 82 years before folding due to scandal and recruiting violations. When that conference was alive there was only one non-Texas team and that was Arkansas. Here you have four other states joining (Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa). While you are not adding much of a recruiting base or expanding tv markets, you are adding competition which leads to tv viewers. Colorado and Nebraska are not hot beds for recruiting and who would the Big XII looks to add outside of schools already in that conferences footprint? New Mexico? Utah (BYU)? They really do not have many options and Houston and TCU provide some of the best competition in basketball and football and would fit into what worked for them for over eight decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I don't know how the Big XII is set up, but if it's like the SEC, if there really is this bad blood between Baylor and TCU, regardless of what TCU wants, couldn't Baylor cockblock them?
Yes, Baylor could but would they? It's conceivable but why would they? Adding TCU would only help the Big XII. If the political connections behind Baylor are that dumb as to block one of the best non-BCS schools from joining then the Big XII deserves to be on the back burner of BCS conferences.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
You are being naive if you don't think religion plays a factor. The main reason why Baylor didn't get an invite to the Pac-16 wasn't because they sucked, but rather all the california schools were against adding a christian university. Given that the casual fan doesn't even know that Baylor is a christian university, what chance do schools like TCU and BYU have when their names clearly give it away?
Do you have any idea how conservative Texas A&M is? They got an invite.

TCU is barely religious at this point. Yes, they have a seminary school, but tons of people attend TCU because it's a nice school, not because it's religious. TCU (as well as SMU) are hardly heavily religious any more, it's more in name than in practice.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Do you have any idea how conservative Texas A&M is? They got an invite.

TCU is barely religious at this point. Yes, they have a seminary school, but tons of people attend TCU because it's a nice school, not because it's religious. TCU (as well as SMU) are hardly heavily religious any more, it's more in name than in practice.
Texas A&M isn't a private christian school though. And even if they were a christian-private school, you wouldn't know it by their name, and they would bring quite a rather large fanbase that would negate any christian affiliations in the eyes of the California schools.

And I know TCU isn't religious, most private-christian schools aren't anymore (Notre Dame is about Catholic as a chicago public school). However, they still have the connection to the religion and their names, which is a huge turnoff for a lot of the more liberal universities.

It really has nothing with the private-christian schools being conservative or not (I would hardly call ND conservative at all, not sure about TCU, but they are in Texas, and we all know about BYU), its the association with religion that turns off liberal universities.

Like I stated with ND, it really doesn't matter, they can join whatever conference they want to. But otherwise, most private-christian schools will have a tough time getting invites to major conferences, no matter how good they are. BYU and TCU have a shot with the Big XII because it is Texas and they already have 1 Private-Christian university. However, they have no chance with the Pac-12 because of the California schools. And those are really the only major conferences that would have any interest in TCU or BYU, except maybe the Big East would think about adding TCU, but that is quite a geographical stretch.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
It worked in the old Southwest Conference which lasted for 82 years before folding due to scandal and recruiting violations. When that conference was alive there was only one non-Texas team and that was Arkansas. Here you have four other states joining (Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa). While you are not adding much of a recruiting base or expanding tv markets, you are adding competition which leads to tv viewers. Colorado and Nebraska are not hot beds for recruiting and who would the Big XII looks to add outside of schools already in that conferences footprint? New Mexico? Utah (BYU)? They really do not have many options and Houston and TCU provide some of the best competition in basketball and football and would fit into what worked for them for over eight decades.
To be honest, the most likely scenario I see is the Big 12 dissolving into the Pac-12, SEC, and maybe the Big 10 (even though I think they are more likely to add ND and a Big East School, unless they somehow get Texas).

However, instead of super conferences of 16, I hope they are of 14 instead. 16 team conferences would be just too much, IMO, and hopefully the NCAA can step in and prevent schools from having more than 14 teams for football conferences. 4 16 team super-conferences would have just too much power and those 4 conferences would completely take over college football and all the money as well. 14 team power conferences could work though without completely screwing over the mid-majors though.

The Big 10 would likely begin the conference expansion talk again, and they add ND and Rutgers.

Then the Pac-12 and SEC would want to match the Big 10 and lets say Texas and Oklahoma leave to the Pac-12 and Texas A&M and Florida St or perhaps WVU. to the SEC. I could see that working out good for both conferences as they will both get a share of the Texas A&M-Texas game.

Without Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is dead. I could see the formation of a new conference with the 7 left overs, and 5 more schools added, taking the best from the MWC, WAC, MAC, Sunbelt, and C-USA.

This would be more beneficial for the majors teams in the MWC because they get into a power conference without having the lesser schools like Wyoming drag them down. This new conference would consist of:

Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Houston
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Iowa St.
BYU
Boise St.
Missouri

and 1 more team from the list of: Cincinnati, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St., Fresno St., San Diego St., Nevada, UNLV, LA Tech, NIU, CMU, Tulsa, Hawaii, Memphis, Southern Miss, Louisville, ECU, USF, or UCF. For now, lets say Air Force or Colorado St. because they both would connect BYU and Boise St. to the rest conference. Most of the other schools I listed are a pretty decent stretch geographically. Hell, you could even expand this conference to 14 as well, if you wanted to. But lets leave it at 12 for now.

The only big losers in this situation would be the Big East because there really aren't any scenarios in which they could gain. However, I think the Big East and ACC should join forces to create their own 14 team power conference. As it stands right now, they are both hurting in ratings, get their dicks handed to them by the MWC. I think the ACC and Big East can improve their ratings and status as a power conferences if they joined forces. The Big East just lacks in football for several reasons, and the ACC is little bro to the SEC and the SEC gets all the attention.

If you combined them, the ACC loses the little bro effect, and the Big East becomes a much better national power because the conference up and down is just better:

New Big East:
Clemson
Boston College
Maryland
Georgia Tech
Miami, FL
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
WVU

And 4 More OF:
Syracuse
Connecticut
North Carolina St.
Wake Forest
Virginia
UCF
ECU

(Lousiville and Cincinnati aren't far enough east)

Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
To be honest, the most likely scenario I see is the Big 12 dissolving into the Pac-12, SEC, and maybe the Big 10 (even though I think they are more likely to add ND and a Big East School, unless they somehow get Texas).

However, instead of super conferences of 16, I hope they are of 14 instead. 16 team conferences would be just too much, IMO, and hopefully the NCAA can step in and prevent schools from having more than 14 teams for football conferences. 4 16 team super-conferences would have just too much power and those 4 conferences would completely take over college football and all the money as well. 14 team power conferences could work though without completely screwing over the mid-majors though.

The Big 10 would likely begin the conference expansion talk again, and they add ND and Rutgers.

Then the Pac-12 and SEC would want to match the Big 10 and lets say Texas and Oklahoma leave to the Pac-12 and Texas A&M and Florida St or perhaps WVU. to the SEC. I could see that working out good for both conferences as they will both get a share of the Texas A&M-Texas game.

Without Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is dead. I could see the formation of a new conference with the 7 left overs, and 5 more schools added, taking the best from the MWC, WAC, MAC, Sunbelt, and C-USA.

This would be more beneficial for the majors teams in the MWC because they get into a power conference without having the lesser schools like Wyoming drag them down. This new conference would consist of:

Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Houston
Oklahoma St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Iowa St.
BYU
Boise St.
Missouri

and 1 more team from the list of: Cincinnati, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado St., Fresno St., San Diego St., Nevada, UNLV, LA Tech, NIU, CMU, Tulsa, Hawaii, Memphis, Southern Miss, Louisville, ECU, USF, or UCF. For now, lets say Air Force or Colorado St. because they both would connect BYU and Boise St. to the rest conference. Most of the other schools I listed are a pretty decent stretch geographically. Hell, you could even expand this conference to 14 as well, if you wanted to. But lets leave it at 12 for now.

The only big losers in this situation would be the Big East because there really aren't any scenarios in which they could gain. However, I think the Big East and ACC should join forces to create their own 14 team power conference. As it stands right now, they are both hurting in ratings, get their dicks handed to them by the MWC. I think the ACC and Big East can improve their ratings and status as a power conferences if they joined forces. The Big East just lacks in football for several reasons, and the ACC is little bro to the SEC and the SEC gets all the attention.

If you combined them, the ACC loses the little bro effect, and the Big East becomes a much better national power because the conference up and down is just better:

New Big East:
Clemson
Boston College
Maryland
Georgia Tech
Miami, FL
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
WVU

And 4 More OF:
Syracuse
Connecticut
North Carolina St.
Wake Forest
Virginia
UCF
ECU

(Lousiville and Cincinnati aren't far enough east)
Need to think of basketball as well, Big East won't give up Georgetown and Villanova and all of those schools which makes this all unlike.y

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Need to think of basketball as well, Big East won't give up Georgetown and Villanova and all of those schools which makes this all unlike.y
I was hoping the catholic basketball schools would leave and form their own non-football, christian athletic conference.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Texas Division: Baylor, Houston, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech
Glad to see diabsoule too was reminded of the old Southwest Conference, the quoted list above sure reminds me of it too. All it needs is the SMU Mustangs....

Interesting that the SW Conference was disbanded b/c it was so corrupt, see the SMU Death Penalty from the NCAA if your memory needs refreshing. And SMU is a Christian religious school too btw, didn't stop them from paying Eric Dickerson lots of $ when he played there, & when their school President (who was later Governor of Texas) was caught denying paying players when they obviously were even while on probation, he said "But there wasnt a Bible in the room..." True story from 1987.

Given the blatant greed being exhibited by the schools in the ongoing conference reshuffle it makes the old SW Conference look like Sunday School Bible Camp.

Last edited by LizardState : 07-06-2010 at 02:29 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
There are rumors out there that the basketball only schools of the Big East are contemplating a split from the football schools of the conference. If that were to happen I think it would be beneficial for both sides as it would open up avenues of expansion that would help both conferences.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Building a 12 Pac

Good article on the new & improved Pac 10.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-he...nclick_check=1

Utah begins play in the Pac 12 in 2011, Colorado has to wait for 2012. Biggest issue is how to divide into 2 divisions of 6 teams each, maybe for fb only. This article illuminates the previously obscure issue of the recruiting magnet of LA, & how the schools distant from SoCal want to remain tied there.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
There are rumors out there that the basketball only schools of the Big East are contemplating a split from the football schools of the conference. If that were to happen I think it would be beneficial for both sides as it would open up avenues of expansion that would help both conferences.
I really hope this doesn't happen as I think it would really hurt basketball recruiting since the conference would basically become a mid-major conference, but it's a really realistic possibility. The Big East has approached Villanova about becoming a football school ('Nova's football program won the FCS national championship last year and beat Temple who finished 9-4 last year, they're a solid team) but administration doesn't want to. Apparently they're not big on athletics and don't see the obvious connection between sports and interest in the school, or that the basketball team would probably suffer if forced to join a Catholic schools league.

It's actually in Villanova's best interest to make the move up to FBS as they can end up in one of the bigger conferences during expansion, but it's a move they won't make. Other teams (St. Johns, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, I'm sure there are more in the Big East but that's all I've got off the top of my head) don't have the same option since their football programs are non-existant or not competitive enough to make the move up to FBS, so the Catholic league would be alright for them but still worse than being in a major conference. Better competition and TV deals help get players noticed by the pros and that's the best way to recruit.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MWC needs to stop steeling my conference's schools.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fresno St and Nevada are headed to the MWC . Utah St is rumored as well and Hawaii is rumored to go indy...the WAC is out of Whack!

Sig by Bone Krusher
frubulubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Villanova is reportedly strongly considering a move to the Big East and there is a mutual courtship going on...I think it would be an enormous mistake not to make the jump. There are some downsides but with the uncertainty of the current collegiate sports landscape having an FBS football program is critical, and the team is obviously very strong for their level. Given all of the chatter that's going on right now it seems like a definitely possibility. Would also be nice for the Big East since 'Nova does everything else in that conference basically so other sports stay intact and there's no 17th team in other sports and it would allow a more balanced football schedule with 9 teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5553575

Last edited by derza222 : 09-12-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898 so looks like the big east is looking to expand the football and get 2 more programs... is anyone else amused that tcu(lol east?) and ucf(oh man i could go on forever about this mainly they have NO fans one of the largest schools in the country and they cant even half fill their stadium) are on the list cause i certainly am, but you all know where im going the obvious choice for one of them is ecu, huge fan base sells out 50+ thousand seat stadium for about every game, and a vast new tv market seeings how the fan/alumni base goes from charlotte nc to hampton roads /rant
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The MWC should go after Kansas and K ST. The Big East should merge with the MAC and form a Big Middle American East Conference.
dannyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansCJftw View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898 so looks like the big east is looking to expand the football and get 2 more programs... is anyone else amused that tcu(lol east?) and ucf(oh man i could go on forever about this mainly they have NO fans one of the largest schools in the country and they cant even half fill their stadium) are on the list cause i certainly am, but you all know where im going the obvious choice for one of them is ecu, huge fan base sells out 50+ thousand seat stadium for about every game, and a vast new tv market seeings how the fan/alumni base goes from charlotte nc to hampton roads /rant
All about markets for a TV deal. TCU gives you Dallas/Fort Worth, and UCF gives Orlando. Apparently the Big East thinks ECU doesn't offer as much for the TV deal that you do.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ucf and usf are about 100 miles apart so as far as tv markets that doesnt make much sense to me and i would like to add
"Today, our Board of Directors affirmed a set of key strategic initiatives, including expansion, designed to enhance membership stability and maximize our value," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement.

Marinatto said the conference will refrain from commenting further on the expansion process. "
aka this is reporter speculation about tcu/ucf/nova
Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansCJftw View Post
ucf and usf are about 100 miles apart so as far as tv markets that doesnt make much sense to me and i would like to add
"Today, our Board of Directors affirmed a set of key strategic initiatives, including expansion, designed to enhance membership stability and maximize our value," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement.

Marinatto said the conference will refrain from commenting further on the expansion process. "
aka this is reporter speculation about tcu/ucf/nova
Still doesn't help the perceived lack of market at ECU. USF and UCF also cover two different "markets" - Tampa and Orlando. There's a ton of TV markets in Florida, so I think that's the rationale there.

Also, 'Nova isn't speculation, they were invited earlier in the year and have been working on coming up with a decision.

Last edited by derza222 : 11-03-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Personally, I don't think it would be in Villanova's best interest to move up to FBS. A small school (9500 enrollment) that would have to increase it's current stadium or rent out the MLS stadium in Philadelphia as well as offer more scholarships to get to the FBS mandated level. If the Big East was targeting at gaining the Philadelphia market the obvious choice would be a team they voted out several years ago: Temple.

The Owls program has seen a resurgence since Al Golden has taken over, have a stronger and bigger alumni base, are a stronger draw then Villanova in Philadelphia, have an ironclad lease at Lincoln Financial Field, are a state-affiliated school much like most of the "football" schools currently in the Big East, and lastly they can be just as competitive in basketball in the Big East as Villanova.

Also, I feel it is mutually beneficial for TCU to join the Big East. The Horned Frogs give the Big East credibility since they are one of the top non-AQ schools out there, have been ranked in the top 25 in eight of past ten years, ranked in the top 10 in four of the past five years, and expand the Big East's footprint. While at first they seem like a geographical anomaly for the Big East, the distance from Fort Worth, TX to Syracuse is 1500 miles and to Storrs, CT is roughly 1700. The distance from Syracuse to Tampa, FL where current Big East school USF is located is 1300 miles.

The other two schools that would seem to be the best fit in the Big East are UCF and Houston. UCF helps expand the television market by adding the Orlando area and helping secure a foothold in Florida for recruiting purposes. It also helps that the Big East is now affiliated with the Champs Sports Bowl which is located in Orlando. Houston would serve as a travel partner of sorts with TCU, has a strong tradition in basketball and is a solid football program, and again would help put a foothold in Texas recruiting while also offering the Houston market for Big East football and basketball.

Why not East Carolina who is one of the best teams in C-USA? While they are on the Big East's radar, they have to be towards the bottom of the list. The Pirates are very competitive in football, which is what is needed in the Big East, but they are wretched in basketball and don't offer much of a television market. Greenville, NC is the tenth largest city in North Carolina which doesn't say much, however, they still are on their radar but there are better choices that offer more than ECU can offer.

If Temple, TCU, Houston, and UCF are invited then the conference could be divided as such:

West
TCU
Houston
UCF
USF
Louisville
Cincinnatti

East
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
UConn
West Virginia
Temple

To stay more in line with the Big East, they could invite UCF, ECU, Temple, and then ask for Villanova to secure the East coach but I don't see how that helps their case as a BCS conference which runs out in 2013. They need to make a splash and land a big name school and offering TCU does just that.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-10-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
While at first they seem like a geographical anomaly for the Big East, the distance from Fort Worth, TX to Syracuse is 1500 miles and to Storrs, CT is roughly 1700. The distance from Syracuse to Tampa, FL where current Big East school USF is located is 1300 miles.
Whilst the distance difference is minimal it is the "stupidity" of considering TCU "East" that makes it a really poor match geographically. Tampa is 1300 miles south of the other places, meaning it is still firmly in the east of the US.

Also... did everyone see that San Antonio, Denver and Texas State are to join the WAC over the next few years, effectively saving the conference. Has a lot of work but they are at least in good area's to build strong teams.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Whilst the distance difference is minimal it is the "stupidity" of considering TCU "East" that makes it a really poor match geographically. Tampa is 1300 miles south of the other places, meaning it is still firmly in the east of the US.

Also... did everyone see that San Antonio, Denver and Texas State are to join the WAC over the next few years, effectively saving the conference. Has a lot of work but they are at least in good area's to build strong teams.
If four teams are added to the Big East then I would think that conference would split along basketball schools and football schools. Right now only eight teams play football in the Big East while eight others plays basketball. A split between those would allow the football schools to grow by adding two to four teams while the basketball schools could grow as well by inviting other teams. A split would also allow the football schools to rename their conference and an idea that has been tossed around, which I like, is by taking the name of an older conference whose rights could more than likely be cheaply purchased: The Metro Conference.

The basketball only schools could retain the Big East name and also Madison Square Garden could be used to play their basketball tournament in. In order to become a signature basketball conference, the new Big East could invite teams such as Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, and UMass to go alongside mainstays Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, and Notre Dame. The Metro Conference could in turn play their basketball tournament in Philadelphia at the Wells Fargo Center (current home of the Philadelphia 76ers).

Using the Metro Conference name would fit the former Big East football schools since most of the universities would exist in metro markets (Philadelphia, Fort Worth, Houston, Orlando, Tampa, Pittsburgh, etc.). I think this is the road that you will see the Big East eventually take since football is where the money is made an to maintain a BCS status then it will have to expand to make itself more viable in the market of big conferences.

With the Pac-10 and Big Ten expanded, the former Big XII and the Big East will be the only BCS conferences that lack a conference championship game. If the Big East wants to stay in the hunt then they need to be proactive and aggressively pursue at least two universities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Conference

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Default The New WAC

Looks like the new WAC as of 2012 will be the least desirable conference of college FB, new FB programs, a program moving up a division + a b-ball only program will be filling slots left by departing Boise St., Fresno St., & Nevada. All the schools with winning traditions & rcds. seem to be leaving.

It's an expensive goodbye, the 3 programs leaving are paying $900K each to the conference. Clearly the long term lucrative membership in the Mtn. West more than compensates for the fees in their estimation.

Montana has declined to join the WAC & move up to the FBS. New UM Pres. Royce Engstrom made the announcement in Missoula < a month after taking office, citing additional expenses & the need to maintain their cross-state rivalry with Montana St. In Butte. The Montana Griz, a longstanding FCS (formerly Div. II-A) FB powerhouse in the Big Sky Conference, had been the primary target for the WAC to add.

The new WAC (as of 2012) will be at this time:

Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico St.
San Jose St.
Texas-San Antonio
Texas St.
Utah St.
U. of Denver -- B-ball only

Texas St. (Bobcats) is the former Southwest Texas St. U. in San Marcos, 30 mi. SW of Austin & 55 mi. NE of San Antonio, & is in the FCS.

UTSA (Roadrunners) will begin FCS play next yr. & move into the FBS WAC in 2012. Former Miami Canes HC Larry Coker who won the 2001 NC with them will be the1st UTSA program HC.

http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in...onference-2012

Last edited by LizardState : 11-12-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I have to disagree with you on Villanova's interests diab. You are correct, Villanova would have to probably rent out PPL Park, but that's essentially the biggest downside. The upsides are money, protection of the basketball program, and national recognition. The Big East is interested in TV markets, if they don't get Villanova then they may look to get Temple, as you mentioned, as an all sports member. Temple in the Big East would certainly hurt basketball recruiting, and basketball at Villanova is a huge deal. 'Nova does not want Temple in the Big East, and if they decline that invite then the Big East may invite Temple. Villanova's football program also currently loses about $4 million annually, and no Big East football school loses more than $1 million on their program, and only 2 do lose money. Additionally, with conference expansion and the uncertainty that the college landscape has right now, having a FBS football program would make Villanova much more appealing to, say, the ACC if the Big East gets picked apart and has to disband. Wake Forest makes it work with about half the enrollment of Villanova, I'm sure 'Nova could make it work as well. It's tough to estimate the importance of protecting the basketball program for anyone who isn't a 'Nova student or alum, but I guarantee you if the Big East splits and 'Nova ends up in a Catholic schools basketball conference that's basically what the A-10 is now and Jay Wright leaves alums are going to be really, really upset.

That said, I think the administration is going to make, what in my opinion is the wrong move, and decline. Also, FWIW, based on what the Big East seems to want to do (increase markets, keep the conference at 16 schools, etc) if Villanova does join I hope they invite TCU even if they demand to have all sports invited, and kick out DePaul (or Seton Hall) to keep basketball membership at 16. Doing that and adding 2 other schools (ECU, UCF, Houston) to bring basketball to 18 and football to 12 wouldn't be a bad move either.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The MWC needs to get Huston.
dannyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Twitter rumors saying TCU will join the Big East tomorrow.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote