Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
So Texas A&M is leaving the Big 12 to go independent?
They just formally told the Big 12 that they intend to leave if they have an offer from another league.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They wouldn't be leaving if they didn't have a conference to go to. It's doubtful they're going independent or to the Big East

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry, was being sarcastic.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A&M wouldn't be issuing an official statement like this unless they were already guaranteed and invitation into the SEC

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewAr...B_OEM_ID=27300

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-31-2011, 01:09 PM    (permalink
billybeejr
Rookie

billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.billybeejr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this mean someone is gonna get kicked out the SEC?
billybeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:12 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybeejr View Post
Does this mean someone is gonna get kicked out the SEC?
Absolutely not. It means they're going to be the first major conference to expand past the 12 team threshold for football playing teams.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Absolutely not. It means they're going to be the first major conference to expand past the 12 team threshold for football playing teams.
I'll be interested to see if the B1G makes a last ditch effort to invite A&M and Texas.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt it. A&M to the SEC seems like a pretty solid lock at this point. No way they'd say this kind of stuff in public if they didn't have some assurance from a conference already.

This could really spark some mass reallignment depending on what schools do. The Big 12 could collapse, and have Texas and co start looking back to the Pac 12. If the Big 12 wants to survive, it could easily just add 3 teams and let the conference truly be Texas, Oklahoma, and scrubs. I think thats more likely. If that happens, it won't spark massive reallignment.

I'm assuming the SEC will want to add more than just A&M, so that could prompt more meaning much more reallignment. The SEC isn't gonna add teams from minor conferences, they're gonna steal good schools from the ACC. Any ACC team moves to the SEC and we'll see some major moves made.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't think that much will change, at least not for a few years. This massive freakout everyone seems to be predicting probably won't happen. I think the Big Ten would prefer to stay pat, ditto the ACC.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
This could really spark some mass reallignment depending on what schools do. The Big 12 could collapse, and have Texas and co start looking back to the Pac 12. If the Big 12 wants to survive, it could easily just add 3 teams and let the conference truly be Texas, Oklahoma, and scrubs. I think thats more likely. If that happens, it won't spark massive reallignment.

TCU would compete for the Big 12 every year if they were added. Arkansas could be added and get back the Ark/UT rivalry again, SMU would do very well with June Jones and right in the heart of Dallas too. A Big conference is probably all they need, they wouldn't be any worse then your typical Iowa State and K State finish, plus they would dominate those schools in recruiting after a few years.

I know most of this is just me throwing out names so for all I know none of these schools are even up for moving or interested. I was just saying I don't think it would be Texas, OU, and scrubs. Maybe as it is now yes that's true, but that wouldn't be any different then it always has when it's seemingly an upset if Texas or OU doesn't win the Big 12.

Just seems like more teams are interested in leaving then joining, which would suck that this would be the 2nd Texas conference that fell apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see any big programs trying to get into the Big 12 at this point. If they do manage to bring in 3 teams and get back to 12, they won't find 3 teams on any kind of high level.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Arkansas will never leave the SEC, especially to go to the Big 12. It just won't happen.

I think Boise State would jump at an opportunity to join the Big 12. I know Dan Beebee and his minions have been talking to BYU but I don't see that university leaving football independence so soon after declaring for it. They're doing well with their scheduling, found a solid home for their non-football sports, and seem content to follow along the path of Notre Dame.

I feel that getting back to 12 teams is a must for the Big 12 and if BYU is ruled out that leaves the only options as being Boise State, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Southern Miss, Central Florida, and New Mexico.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

BYU could keep their deal with ESPN and join the Big 12. It's been said before, but really, the Big 12 is barely a conference anymore.

They'll probably pick up some scraps from Conference USA to give the vague impression of an athletic conference, but it's basically just Texas and Oklahoma Inc., brought to you by The Walt Disney Company

Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BYU could keep their deal with ESPN and join the Big 12. It's been said before, but really, the Big 12 is barely a conference anymore.

They'll probably pick up some scraps from Conference USA to give the vague impression of an athletic conference, but it's basically just Texas and Oklahoma Inc., brought to you by The Walt Disney Company
That's funny considering we have the most top 10 ranked team (sure it's only the preseason polls) out of any conference, and Texas isn't even one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I'll be interested to see if the B1G makes a last ditch effort to invite A&M and Texas.
One reason A&M is wanting to leave is because of Texas and its tv deal. Why would you want to invite both???

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
That's funny considering we have the most top 10 ranked team (sure it's only the preseason polls) out of any conference, and Texas isn't even one of them.
It's ironic, yes; that doesn't make it any less true.

Nobody wants to be a part of the conference anymore. The only teams still around other than Texas and Oklahoma are there out of necessity. It's a step up from the Mountain West and Conference USA

Old 09-01-2011, 01:52 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post

One reason A&M is wanting to leave is because of Texas and its tv deal. Why would you want to invite both???
The LHN is going to be a flop, IMO. A&M and UT in a power conference together would make the state legislators happy. Angry UT, TTU, and Baylor politicians can make this ugly for A&M if they want to.

The perception of the Big12 is that it's being held together with scotch tape and elmer's glue. There is little cohesion and a lot of angst between programs. Two teams have left and a third is likely leaving. It's a young conference with no history. All of that leads to the perception of it being a weak conference. It's not a competitive slam.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
The LHN is going to be a flop, IMO. A&M and UT in a power conference together would make the state legislators happy. Angry UT, TTU, and Baylor politicians can make this ugly for A&M if they want to.

The perception of the Big12 is that it's being held together with scotch tape and elmer's glue. There is little cohesion and a lot of angst between programs. Two teams have left and a third is likely leaving. It's a young conference with no history. All of that leads to the perception of it being a weak conference. It's not a competitive slam.
Well I'm not sure if it will flop, but it wont be decided in a year they are rebounding off their worst seasons in recent years. But from what I have read it's not only A&M angry/tired of Texas and their network, but multiple schools. Assuming the conference can remedy this, they aren't in trouble. If A&M does leave it'll be a huge blow.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I don't understand the subjunctive tense. A&M IS leaving. They've officially said they are.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't understand the subjunctive tense. A&M IS leaving. They've officially said they are.
They said if they get into another conference. They can't just join another conference because they want to.

This leaves time, hopefully, for the conference to get them to stay, or at the very least find a suitable replacement.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

They aren't coming back. Bridges are burned.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They aren't coming back. Bridges are burned.
Oh **** my bad. I didn't know because you said it that it will come to pass.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Sorry, I was being polite, you're a moron if you think they don't already have a deal worked out with the SEC and have any chance of coming back to the Big 12. They only went through these machinations to legally cover their ass. Stop kidding yourself. It's not because I said so, it's because anyone with a clue has said so.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I'm assuming there's no way A&M would make the statements they made unless there was some kind of agreement with the SEC already.

nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sorry, I was being polite, you're a moron if you think they don't already have a deal worked out with the SEC and have any chance of coming back to the Big 12. They only went through these machinations to legally cover their ass. Stop kidding yourself. It's not because I said so, it's because anyone with a clue has said so.
Just like they joined last year. Or just mere months ago. I'll believe it when I finally see confirmation.

They could be in legal trouble regardless as a link earlier posted said in regards to the tv deal.

Hey look at that, a post without insulting someone. Not that hard is it?

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 09-01-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ummm, yeah. A&M is for sure leaving. You don't put on a condom unless you're ready to ****.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote