Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 06-15-2010, 07:26 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default BCS Conferences Aligned Geographically

I was bored today and decided to align the six BCS Conferences and the 3 Independents based on geography. It was trickier said than done given that some states have more than one school and that certain rivalries needed to be preserved. I will try to offer some descriptions on why certain teams ended up where.

ACC
Clemson
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
South Carolina
South Florida
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

NOTE: I tried maintaining the Atlantic Coast Conference name by sticking with teams that are close to or on the Atlantic coast. If I were to include all of the teams along that coast then the Big East would have been left with around six teams. The only teams that were added to the ACC was South Carolina and South Florida and several were taken away due to geography.

Big East
Army
Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Maryland
Navy
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
West Virginia

NOTE: Most of the Big East schools are located in the northeast portion of the US so I tried to get most of the BCS universities located in that region into one conference with the only exception being Cincinnati, which was the toughest college to place into a conference. Notable additions to the Big East include Penn State, Army, Navy, and Maryland.

Big Ten
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Iowa State
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

NOTE: Not much changed about the Big Ten except that Penn State moved to the Big East and recent addition Nebraska was left out. In the place of those two universities comes Notre Dame, which is an obvious choice based on geographic fit for the Big Ten, and Iowa State. The reason for Iowa State is that they are in the same state as Iowa.

Pac10
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Colorado
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State

NOTE: Only addition was Colorado and they are the most recent team that has been added to the Pac10.

SEC
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Kentucky
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

NOTE: This conference lost South Carolina, Arkansas, and LSU and gained Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Florida State. Still a powerhouse in sports but their recruiting base shrunk by losing three states.

Southwest Conference
Arkansas
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
LSU
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

NOTE: This could be the Big XII but it has too much of the old Southwest Conference flavor so hence the name. Made up of mostly schools located in Texas, the SWC seems strong on paper in all sports and all schools fit geographically.

Feedback is welcome. Like I said, it was just something fun to do.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 06-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd switch South Florida with Connecticut or Maryland, since they're actually close to the Atlantic, while USF is closer to the Gulf Coast.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
I'd switch South Florida with Connecticut or Maryland, since they're actually close to the Atlantic, while USF is closer to the Gulf Coast.
I thought about that but didn't do it in the end. South Florida would serve as a travel partner with Miami while Maryland could serve as a travel partner with Navy.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post

ACC
Clemson
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
South Carolina
South Florida
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

NOTE: The only team that has been added to the ACC was South Florida and several were taken away due to geography.
South Carolina is still in the SEC

Otherwise I liked it.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
South Carolina is still in the SEC

Otherwise I liked it.
Yeah, oversight on my part. I corrected it.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it amazes me how the state of florida has 4 big time programs in such a small state.

California as big as it is population wise only has arguably 1 big time school.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
it amazes me how the state of florida has 4 big time programs in such a small state.

California as big as it is population wise only has arguably 1 big time school.
That probably has something to do with the fact that the top 4 California schools (USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford) have academic requirements that are well above the Florida schools.

edit - This is a cool thread, by the way. Nice work.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 06-16-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the mega conferences would've been a huge step forward in the move for a playoff if it happened.

you would've had the pac16, sec, big...12 and ACC?

then you could conceivably do a +1 in addition to the conference championships. That system would be more apt to find the real college football championship.

The only problem with that though is that you're essentially locking out the Big east, MWC, etc. from ever reaching the BCS championship game.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL i love where you have Penn State!!! ahahaha