Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've noticed something about Patrick Peterson over the past five or so weeks that I've payed attention specifically to him. He really doesn't hustle at all when he doesn't have to cover. He's a good cover guy, and he's physically gifted. His problem is that he lets his teammates handle everything else if he is not directly involved. If the pass is not his way he just lags until the play is over, and if there is a run he won't pursue until it's right in his face. I've seen a lot of runs come to his side and he does absolutely nothing about it. He just watches as the other guys swarm the ball.

I wouldn't put all my stock in him at all. He's really gifted, but I don't think his head is going to be where this team needs it. I definitely won't complain to get a guy with that type of potential, but his dedication is really starting to worry me in addition to him not being as good as people think. Based on potential he's easily an elite pick, but he needs to be molded into that guy with some really good coaching.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Top 5

I just have a feeling that these two CB will not go top 5. Teams are very reluctant to go with DB in the top 5. They have to be special and and no red flags on them. I think QB and DT and WR will go before them. I think as the juniors declare you will see that they will drop. I think teams will move up to select other positions of need.

I like Peterson for the cowboys, but I have come to the conclusing that a CB doesn't get u to the SB. It having a tough Def...starting at the line......Getting one of the top 3 would be fine with me as long as we also get a Ol and a safety.

Let's not fall in love with Peterson or Prince until we see how is coming out.....
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We will have a top 10 pick. At this point it's such a crap shoot for our first round pick. We can look at depth of positions and that can give us a glimpse...but it's really going to come down to the highest player on our board. Position isn't going to matter. So I think when it comes to predicting it at this point we have to size it up.

If I'm a betting man I put a lot of money into us going with a 5-tech. We know it's a strong class. atleast 2 or 3 will go top 10.

Another thing to note. Looking at this safety class I remember reading last year that Dowling's game might translate better to safety especially if his timed speed isn't what people were projecting. I'd be fine with him in the 2nd. He has what I look for in a player.

Quote:
Dowling's reluctance to discuss his injuries and frustrations doesn't represent a substantial departure from his normal taciturn approach to football. While many shut-down corners never shut up, Dowling is a rare breed: the defensive back who doesn't talk trash.

"Ras-I is prayerful and his faith is very meaningful to him," said London, who characterized Dowling's mood a few days after the ankle injury as "upbeat."

"He's looking at this as just a tiny setback as he is moving forward."

With his combination of size and speed, the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Dowling was projected before his senior year as a late first-round or early second-round draft pick.

"The kid had a pretty high grade going in," Mike Mayock, an analyst for NFL Network, said this week. "He's a big, good-looking kid."

But according to Mayock, who's regarded as a draft expert, "Everybody's frustrated that they won't be able to see much senior tape."

It's too early to know how long Dowling's recovery will take. London said he would be ready for April's Pro Day, when NFL scouts come to U.Va. to evaluate talent.

Naturally, the scouts and draft mavens are insatiable; they want fresh video to grade. They won't be thrilled, either, by Dowling's probable absence from all-star games and the NFL's February combine in Indianapolis.

"Best-case scenario," Mayock said, "he plays in the Senior Bowl in late January. If he can play in the Senior Bowl and play well, he'll be fine. He can wash away any doubts about his senior year."
http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/limi...l-uvas-dowling

also some tidbits on a LT to keep our eyes on Sherrod
Quote:
His quiet demeanor has made him a leader by example according to J.C. Brignone, who has played alongside Sherrod for four years and will also be playing in his last home game Saturday.
"He puts his fair share in," Brignone said. "But he's not the type of guy that will just jump on somebody and chew down their throat; he does what he needs to do."
Head coach Dan Mullen, who inherited Sherrod as part of the team Sylvester Croom left behind, has lauded Sherrod's work ethic. With the praise and awards coming in, it would be easy for Sherrod to take a few deep breaths and relax, but that has not been the case as he nears the end of his Mississippi State career.
"Every day you watch him in practice and he's working to get better," Mullen said. "That shows a sign of maturity, a sign of leadership and also a sign of a great player. I would say Derek is probably the best player on our roster."
The work ethic that drives Sherrod on the field also carries over to the classroom, where he holds a 3.53 GPA and is working on a master's degree in business administration. Sherrod is a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy, one of the top honors for student-athletes. Being one of the 16 winners of the NFF National-Scholar Athlete Award means an $18,000 postgraduate scholarship for Sherrod.
When Sherrod was coming out of high school in 2007, he was highly recruited but his family ties (brother Dezmond Sherrod played for the Bulldogs from 2003-2006) and liking of the campus atmosphere brought him to Starkville.
"I could've gone pretty much anywhere in the country, but I knew that this was basically my home," Sherrod said. "I couldn't see myself being anywhere else."
http://www.reflector-online.com/spor...wade-1.2411631

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1 View Post
I think we need 3 top quality players who will come in and start. I don't think we can see who sure who will not be here, but we can speculate on some names. I think we have an explosive team next year and we can complete for a playoff spot. We are not in rebuilding mode...as long as u have a solid QB you have a shot. If this year tells us anything is that we are not ready, but with a couple of players we can be solid again. Here are some thoughts:

Spears is gone............But he will not be missed-----nothing spectacular
Barbar is gone...............Choice moves up and Miller becomes 3rd RB
OL..............We don't resign all, but we don't cut all.
R. Williams (wr) i think we cut..we can't afford his salary for his states...
Oggletree....I think he moves to the slot..or he become 3wr and austin moves to the slot on 3 rd down.
TE---- we still have phhillips
LB...........I don't think brookings will find 2 year contract, but maybe one year.....it might work.
A. Ball is out..i think we have better players..i think Church and the other guy can complete for the job as well as a rookie.

I think an OL in the first two round and than another one 4 or 5. That will rebuild our OL.

I think our DL is good..we need to resign, but with Brent and Lissamore we have backup depth.

I am out..

Can i get some rep points?
Why don't you suggest something in the Fix the Cowboys thread.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I've noticed something about Patrick Peterson over the past five or so weeks that I've payed attention specifically to him. He really doesn't hustle at all when he doesn't have to cover. He's a good cover guy, and he's physically gifted. His problem is that he lets his teammates handle everything else if he is not directly involved. If the pass is not his way he just lags until the play is over, and if there is a run he won't pursue until it's right in his face. I've seen a lot of runs come to his side and he does absolutely nothing about it. He just watches as the other guys swarm the ball.

I wouldn't put all my stock in him at all. He's really gifted, but I don't think his head is going to be where this team needs it. I definitely won't complain to get a guy with that type of potential, but his dedication is really starting to worry me in addition to him not being as good as people think. Based on potential he's easily an elite pick, but he needs to be molded into that guy with some really good coaching.
I didn't see yesterday's game, but that's not what I saw out of him against Ole Miss last week. He played the run VERY well and he definitely was out there hustling. In fact, he had this one play that the RB was coming his way and he spun out of a blocker and right into the RB. It was so sweet.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:14 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I didn't see yesterday's game, but that's not what I saw out of him against Ole Miss last week. He played the run VERY well and he definitely was out there hustling. In fact, he had this one play that the RB was coming his way and he spun out of a blocker and right into the RB. It was so sweet.
I remember that play that you're talking about, and it was pretty nice. The problem was that it was right next to him. When it's not coming his way or in front of him he doesn't attack the plays often. It's what would keep him at corner for me because a safety can't have that attitude. He'd be the reverse Roy Williams. A stud against the pass, but against the run he wouldn't be too good. At this point I'd rather have Amukamara since he seems to be more fierce.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I remember that play that you're talking about, and it was pretty nice. The problem was that it was right next to him. When it's not coming his way or in front of him he doesn't attack the plays often. It's what would keep him at corner for me because a safety can't have that attitude. He'd be the reverse Roy Williams. A stud against the pass, but against the run he wouldn't be too good. At this point I'd rather have Amukamara since he seems to be more fierce.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see a fault in Peterson's game against the run. Not like Janoris Jenkins who I don't see as a physical run stuffer in any sense of the word.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of trading down, especially if we get stuck around 9 or 10. We can pick up some nice compensation there and an extra 2nd would give us the ability to rebuild the OLine in 1 year, while still having the flexibility to address the secondary within the first 2 rounds.

A combination of Reiff/Pouncey/D. Williams would be a nice first 2 rounds
Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of trading down, especially if we get stuck around 9 or 10. We can pick up some nice compensation there and an extra 2nd would give us the ability to rebuild the OLine in 1 year, while still having the flexibility to address the secondary within the first 2 rounds.

A combination of Reiff/Pouncey/D. Williams would be a nice first 2 rounds
D Williams.... I can't think of who you're talking about... remind me.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Ah thanks. But um... I only trade down if we get a future 1st. Nothing else will suffice.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ah thanks. But um... I only trade down if we get a future 1st. Nothing else will suffice.
Yea I think I agree. An extra 2nd would be nice if it's early, but who would we even target in a trade down? No thanks. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from 09 class. I just want to take what elite player is there, which if we are in the top 12 will be.

We could always move back to around 17 and start looking at lineman but there is still no guarantee it works out. I like Rahim Moore and Deunta Williams in the 2nd honestly though either way, or Ras I Dowling who is a tweener.

Right now my big board looks like

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Prince

and I'll re-evaluate if we seem to be out of range for those 2. Not buying DE, need isn't that great. Bowen may not be an ideal starter but it's not a gaping hole that's the point. Safety not worth it that high. ILB not worth it, but damnit I would love to take a good hard look at Hightower with our 2nd rder. No lineman worth the pick that high either.

We have 3 active CB's on the roster most games, 1 of them is trash(or has played like it all year), 1 is old and injury prone, the other had a really down season. If 1 of those 2 CB's are there I don't see how it's a thought to go anywhere else. If we don't go CB it almost forces our hand, if we go DE first then we almost HAVE to go CB in the 2nd round no matter what.

If we sneak out of the first 2 rounds without one CB then next season will be a failure. I can't wait for Newman to get hurt and Scandrick to have to start, and us have a glaring hole at Nickle corner. I like McCann, heard he was moving around in the secondary a bit, but I'm not trying to rely on him to that extent.

Hell even past the top 2 CB's I'm looking at Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Harris, and Aaron Williams very strong in the mix for our 1st rd pick. You can never have enough CB's, well we don't even have an average amount. You should have 4 strong guys, 5 is nice. I knew what type of season our secondary was in for when we only kept 3 CB's back in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

...I'm so back and forth on DE, it's not even funny. On one hand, the need isn't the greatest, but it is a need...combine that with the fact, that I prefer addressing the position later in the draft.

On the other hand, that's where the value seems to be greatest at in the draft where we are picking. Elite players could be had... combine that with the recent thought in my mind in listening to Steelers fans complain about how weak their defense is without Aaron Smith. They value him more than Polamalu! Could that kind of impact really be something that we've been overlooking?

At this time I'm thinking that DE would still be a viable option for us in Round 1.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D, if you can win the battle in the trenches then it can make up for problems elsewhere but it doesn't really work the other way around...i know you know that and i certainly wouldn't undervalue the importance of a potential elite DE

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A 3-4 DE in the top 10 though? That just makes me uneasy. What has Tyson Jackson done for the Chiefs lately? Wasn't he a better prospect then every other 3-4 DE coming out this year? Dorsey has done much better but nobody would still take him over Brandon Flowers on that defense, an elite CB.

Now yea, if were getting Haloti Ngata then sure sign me up, so I guess we should stick to the board, but I'd only opt for that DE if he looked to be dominant in that mold, not very good.

I guess the better question is if both players turn out to their potential which would we rather have. Again, if we get a guy that turns into a Brandon Flowers type of CB we have a very solid starter in Bowen already, nothing special though. If we get a special type of DE, it helps the run D and Bowen or Hatcher gives us great depth, but then what about CB?

If that DE is elite aren't we still in deep trouble returning with our CB's? If our CB is elite our De situation is still in good shape, I guess that's my concern. I would be ok, not happy with us coming back with Igor, Bowen, and 1 more guy as depth. I'd be terrified of returning with the same CB's we have right now and not a new one added before round 3.

That's not even taking into consideration how easy it is to find a very good 3-4 DE late, and how hard it is to find a quality stud CB after the first 2 rounds.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can bring up the Tyson Jackson example, but he wasn't really worthy of a Top 10 pick even if the Chiefs ended up taking him at 3...what you have in Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley, and even Cameron Jordan, who might end up being a Top 10 pick, they have the ability to breakdown the pocket and get after the passer; they can be assets in both run and pass defense...Jackson was pretty much a one-dimensional player, not much of a pass rusher and that's showing itself in the NFL...solid player but not spectacular

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
You can bring up the Tyson Jackson example, but he wasn't really worthy of a Top 10 pick even if the Chiefs ended up taking him at 3...what you have in Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley, and even Cameron Jordan, who might end up being a Top 10 pick, they have the ability to breakdown the pocket and get after the passer; they can be assets in both run and pass defense...Jackson was pretty much a one-dimensional player, not much of a pass rusher and that's showing itself in the NFL...solid player but not spectacular
That's what I felt about Jackson too but I guess alot of other people didn't. I honestly don't think that was the scouting report on him then, or how the Chiefs felt, because you don't take a one dimensional player who was projected to be solid at #3 overall in the draft.

Even when we had Chris Canty he was definately collapsing the pocket and getting sacks but I don't think that position is just gonna be that important in our defense as it is.

All that being said I'd be in favor of DE I just want us to stick to our board If we have Dareus rated higher then Prince, then stick to your guns and go with it. I don't think I would have him higher now but I still do need to do more research.

Rushing the passer isn't really a problem for us, neither is the run, but covering the pass has been a problem for years. Maybe, well probably alot has to do with terrible safety play at both positions, but I could easily still see us being bad on defense with an elite 3-4 DE.

How many elite 3-4 DE's are there even in the league right now? You can probably count on one hand, I don't want one with a top 10 pick unless he's elite, and lately it seems like most drafted that soon never pan out to be more then solid. Including Marcus Spears who we took early and was outplayed by every late rounder we got.

I doubt teams would take those guys that early if they didn't feel like they weren't complete dominate players. I shouldn't let the past judge where we go in this years direction, but I'd have to be sold the guy we took could possibly take over games at some point, the way Suh looked like he could.

Quote:

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 12-01-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
...I'm so back and forth on DE, it's not even funny. On one hand, the need isn't the greatest, but it is a need...combine that with the fact, that I prefer addressing the position later in the draft.

On the other hand, that's where the value seems to be greatest at in the draft where we are picking. Elite players could be had... combine that with the recent thought in my mind in listening to Steelers fans complain about how weak their defense is without Aaron Smith. They value him more than Polamalu! Could that kind of impact really be something that we've been overlooking?

At this time I'm thinking that DE would still be a viable option for us in Round 1.
I wouldnt say he's more valuable than Polamalu but he's definitely more important than people believe 3-4 DE's are in this board. Succesful football teams are built inside out. Steelers and Ravens defense are perfect examples. Heck even the Jets without Revis the defense didnt skip a beat. Defensive backs are only as good as there pass rush. If we pick a corner before a player like Nick Fairley its going to show Jerry still doesnt get it. We must become more dominate in the trenches on both sides of the ball its not sexy but its what wins. If I can get Fairley I go to a 1 gap 4-3 defense similar to Spagnola/Jim Johnson scheme or a cover 2 scheme.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
I wouldnt say he's more valuable than Polamalu but he's definitely more important than people believe 3-4 DE's are in this board. Succesful football teams are built inside out. Steelers and Ravens defense are perfect examples. Heck even the Jets without Revis the defense didnt skip a beat. Defensive backs are only as good as there pass rush. If we pick a corner before a player like Nick Fairley its going to show Jerry still doesnt get it. We must become more dominate in the trenches on both sides of the ball its not sexy but its what wins. If I can get Fairley I go to a 1 gap 4-3 defense similar to Spagnola/Jim Johnson scheme or a cover 2 scheme.
I agree totally. Many years ago, Everson Walls was asked about leading the league in interceptions three different times. He said he would have never been able to accomplish that without Randy White, Too Tall Jones ect.

Better pass rush=better defensive backs. Better defensive backs doesn't mean a good pass rush all the time. Especially nowadays. A good defensive back will evetually get beat if there is no pass rush,but that doesnt make him a bad player.

I am not saying a front seven defender needs to be taken early. But I am saying that our pass rush has not helped our secondary. It is hard for me to believe that Jenkins and Newman and Sensy took huge steps back for no reason-and all at the same time. Newman is a year older-that is true. But Jenkins should be better. Not worse.

I think best player is the way to go. I am not sure there are many cases that can be brought up where a bad team took the best player and regretted it later.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can you imagine the pass rush we would have...

The one thing that makes this hard to project is that we don't know what's going to happen in FA. Obviously, OL and DB are much bigger needs right now and if we go someone like Fairley in the 1st, we won't be able to address those other areas of need with an instant impact player. DE is more of a luxury pick and I'd be all for it as long as we have ourselves covered with 1 or 2 FA pickups at DB and OL, which I think is going to happen.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

I have thought long and hard -- given our talent, our holes, and diff of the safety role in 3/4 v 4/3 .... I think we should go 4-3 and take one of these stud DT/DE.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some tidbits

from bunting
Quote:
The cream of the crop…
After breaking down some early season tape of underclassmen offensive tackles this weekend, there aren’t any draft eligible guys out there in the country with the type of athletic skill set possessed by USC’s Tyron Smith. Smith is a former five-start recruit who came to USC as a 6-5, 265-pound blocker. And over the past three seasons he has continued to add more bulk to his frame while maintaining his athleticism and developing at the position. He’s a gifted athlete who does a great job staying compact on his kick-slide toward the edge, keeps his base down and has the range to reach any kind of speed toward the corner. He displays impressive lateral quickness as well when asked to redirect and does as good a job as any mirroring in space. Smith needs to continue to work on the coordination of his punch, is a bit inconsistent at times and will allow his arms to drop after his initial jolt and I would like to see him recoil at times quickly. However, he does have the ability to do so at times, it’s just being able to do it at a more consistent rate.

Smith is very impressive on the move, quickly getting out to the second level, breaking down on contact and sealing in the run game. He also possesses some natural pop to his game when asked to run block as an in-line guy. He still needs to do a better job keeping his pad level down more consistently off the snap, but he does well to drop his pad level into contact, pumps his legs and gets his hands under defenders. His hand placement and arm extension is a bit suspect at times, but he definitely has the athleticism to stick to defenders through the play and seal.

Two other concerns to his game at this stage are…

1. His overall size, listed at 6-5, 285 pounds.
2. The majority of his playing time at USC has been at right tackle.

My take on the two concerns:

He’s going to gain weight. Smith has already put on about 25 pounds over the past three years and as he continues to mature the weight will naturally go up and he will continue to get stronger as well.

As for his position. I know the left tackle spot has more value, but personally I would let him play wherever he feels most comfortable. He does have some experience at left tackle, serving as a reserve there as a freshman. So the guy does have experience kick sliding from both sides and is a highly gifted athlete. Therefore in all likelihood he should easily be able to make the move to the blindside, it’s just something that needs to be looked into.

Either way after breaking down a couple of his games so far this year, he looks far and away like the most talented offensive tackle in the class if he were to come out.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I know we probably dont have a shot at him because I see us beating Arizona and Washington but boy I want Andrew Luck. Read an interesting tidbit on him. And I share the same sentiments.

Quote:
Luck is more than just the best quarterback -- or best player -- potentially available for the 2011 draft, however.
He's the best quarterback AND elite prospect -- including LaDainian Tomlinson, Steve Hutchinson, Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh -- I've scouted, including every Senior Bowl since 2001.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...r-ingrams-sags
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Some tidbits

from bunting
YES! TYRON LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's ma boy!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
I know we probably dont have a shot at him because I see us beating Arizona and Washington but boy I want Andrew Luck. Read an interesting tidbit on him. And I share the same sentiments.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...r-ingrams-sags
Yeah and I wish Santa Claus was real.