Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

More OT stuff
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-6695.html

Quote:
Scout Talk: Offensive Tackle Class of 2011

If it’s an offensive tackle you need in the April draft, the best advice may be hold your fire. Let the first round pass. And then jump. A number of offensive tackles look like solid second and third rounders. But the only one who looks like a legitimate first rounder at this point is Colorado’s Nate Solder. Other tackles who are chosen in the first may be picked too high because of the vacuum caused by the lack of talent at the position.

Solder has the kind of length and athleticism teams look for in a left tackle. He doesn’t have the kind of power and anchor ability you want in a top 10 pick, however.

The next two tackles in line right now are Boston College’s Anthony Castonzo and Wisconsin’s Gabe Carimi. Castonzo clearly has the athleticism and quickness to play the left side, whereas Carimi might be better suited to be a right tackle in the pros.

Two wildcards who could heat up or cool off in the postseason are Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod and Texas Christian’s Marcus Cannon. Each has first round ability, but neither has shown enough consistency to make a team feel secure using a first round pick on him.

Two players with second round grades who have left tackle feet are DeMarcus Love of Arkansas and James Brewer of Indiana. Love is a little off and on though, and Brewer is considered somewhat of a developmental prospect.

Right tackle prospects who are highly considered include Lee Ziemba of Auburn, Danny Watkins of Baylor and Orlando Franklin of Miami.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking kicker in the draft. I like everything I read about this guy.
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...ll-big-12-team

Quote:
Alex Henery had taken on a bit of a Susan Lucci persona from the media after consistently being one of the nation's top kickers, but never making All-Big 12 first team. That ended today, and it was well-deserved. The Big 12 has some great kickers, but if I'm building a team, I'm taking Henery. All-Big 12 isn't a career award, but the guy's made 66-of-74 career kicks, and missed just one this year -- a blocked kick from beyond 50 yards. Nebraska coach Bo Pelini called Henery not making the coaches' first team "crazy" this week. Barring a Big 12 title-game meltdown, he'll likely end his career as the most accurate kicker in college football history.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Looking for a dark horse in the draft. I think it's interesting to note we still don't have an answer for our nickel backer.

Read this today
Quote:
It's good to see underpublicized guys get recognition as well. Amukamara earns the awards and NFL scouts' love, but word out of Nebraska all season was that Eric Hagg was the defense's most valuable piece. The versatile defensive back plays the hybrid linebacker/defensive back spot in the Huskers' Peso scheme, and players like him aren't too common. He made plenty of plays from that spot, including one of the biggest of Nebraska's season, intercepting the pass on a two-point conversion in overtime against Iowa State that, if completed, would have cost the Huskers the North.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Interesting read. I haven't been to his site lately. Most interesting is Love having LT feet. ...and Solder being a legitimate 1st rounder. I'm not a fan of Solder at all. I think he's gonna get manhandled in the NFL. If I draft an OL in round 1, he better be able to start from Day 1. Otherwise, you wait. Like Parcells said... the difference between 1st and 4th round OL are the amount of developmental years. As for Sherrod, I've always thought of him as a possibility for us in Round 2. I don't have him as a 1st round lock yet. He could get there after the senior bowl though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looking kicker in the draft. I like everything I read about this guy.
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...ll-big-12-team
I'm not too picky about K, so if we can find a good one, I'm all for it. Let's use that pick we got from Patrick Crayton to get him.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Interesting read. I haven't been to his site lately. Most interesting is Love having LT feet. ...and Solder being a legitimate 1st rounder. I'm not a fan of Solder at all. I think he's gonna get manhandled in the NFL. If I draft an OL in round 1, he better be able to start from Day 1. Otherwise, you wait. Like Parcells said... the difference between 1st and 4th round OL are the amount of developmental years. As for Sherrod, I've always thought of him as a possibility for us in Round 2. I don't have him as a 1st round lock yet. He could get there after the senior bowl though.
Thing thats interesting is the Gosselin also named Soldier as being the only OT with a first round grade also. Anything that comes out of his mouth tends to come straight from the people who know what they are talking about. I didn't know he was even a first round prospect at this point.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm willing to wait another year for Blair Walsh. I havent liked a kicker this much since Ryan Succop.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:34 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Looking for a dark horse in the draft. I think it's interesting to note we still don't have an answer for our nickel backer.

Read this today
Hagg to LB transition, huh? Interesting. I've heard of some safeties who may have to make the move to LB, but this is the first mention of Hagg to LB.

The LB who is the apple of my eye right now is Nate Irving.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Thing thats interesting is the Gosselin also named Soldier as being the only OT with a first round grade also. Anything that comes out of his mouth tends to come straight from the people who know what they are talking about. I didn't know he was even a first round prospect at this point.
Yeah... watch these clips of this season's games...

yeeeuck!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Looking at this draft I think our best outcome is if luck into a QB and turn him into a couple of picks late first and early second.

Mallett, Luck, Locker, Newton will draw lot of interest. All have the physical qualities in spades and teams like MN, SF, Clev, Miami, Seattle, ... all could use a QB for the near future.

I expect those teams to be somewhat behind us in the draft barring a miracle so maybe we can capitalize.

There are some combos I would love mid-to-late 1st plus two early seconds that would really help us ... Cannon, Farlety, Costonzo, Carimi, Paea, Bailey, Watt, B Harris, J Jenkins, N Solder, A Williams, Puncey ........

CB, OL, DT/E in the first 50 would be a winner.

Last edited by baghdadbob : 12-04-2010 at 02:03 PM.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Yeah and I wish Santa Claus was real.
Why so sour? There could be a situation where the top 3 is Carolina, Detroit, and us. With Matt Stafford being in Detroit and Carolina just taking Clausen and pike and if Clausen makes strides down the stretch they could go defense and Luck could be on the board at pick 3. Crazier things have happened. Your dislike for thinking QB hilarious. I bet you think Romo is a top 5 QB.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
Why so sour? There could be a situation where the top 3 is Carolina, Detroit, and us. With Matt Stafford being in Detroit and Carolina just taking Clausen and pike and if Clausen makes strides down the stretch they could go defense and Luck could be on the board at pick 3. Crazier things have happened. Your dislike for thinking QB hilarious. I bet you think Romo is a top 5 QB.
We discussed this a while back, and it's just not realistic. I threw the idea out there as a kneejerk reaction after the Packers game, but D and company put me in place lol. Jerry has way too much faith in Romo to give up on him right now, regardless of outside opinions, and we all know who makes the final decisions around here.

Besides we have a lot of other holes we need to fill that are much bigger needs than QB. How would a rookie QB fare behind our OLine? it would be a disaster.

Switching topics, I'm liking more and more the thought of switching to a 4-3. A guy like Dareus could make that transition effortless.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
We discussed this a while back, and it's just not realistic. I threw the idea out there as a kneejerk reaction after the Packers game, but D and company put me in place lol. Jerry has way too much faith in Romo to give up on him right now, regardless of outside opinions, and we all know who makes the final decisions around here.

Besides we have a lot of other holes we need to fill that are much bigger needs than QB. How would a rookie QB fare behind our OLine? it would be a disaster.

Switching topics, I'm liking more and more the thought of switching to a 4-3. A guy like Dareus could make that transition effortless.
I and I prefaced my statement that it probably wont happen just like we probably wont switch the 3-4 even though it'd make the most sense if we could get our hands on a guy like Fairley. I just think its funny that some player can be dismissed but than an undersized middle linebacker like Nate Irving can be talked about when we know Jerry loves Bradie James and we just invested a 2nd round pick in Sean Lee. Realistically I think the pick will be Pat Peterson or Amukamara if either is on the board. Jerry drafts like a fantasy football player.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting Luck isn't impossible.

You just have to keep losing, and trade your 1st + Romo for him. I think that trade would get you the #1 pick in the draft.

You just have to ask yourself, is Luck worth trading Romo for? I don't think many GMs would have the guts to trade away a Tony Romo for an unproven prospect.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:54 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

If Luck is on the board we will take him. As far as moving down...you just don't pass on a blue chip prospect period. I don't care how many later picks...teams that win superbowls have them. We have one and that is Ware...who guess what was picked at 11.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Just to elaborate on my feelings Gosselin is one of the most respected bloggers out there. He has done it all...he has all the connections. So when in doubt I look to the people who know what they are talking about.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...qb-andrew.html

Quote:
On who the Cowboys should select if they have the No. 5 pick:

Gosselin: If I don't draft a quarterback in the Top 5, I go big. I take the best offensive or defensive linemen. You win up front in this league. The Cowboys can use some help on both edges of the line. You can find a quality corner in the second or third round. You don't find that kind of quality in the later rounds up front. I'd probably go with the Alabama DL (Marcellus Dareus) if I had a top 5 pick. Look how Ndamukong Suh has changed the defensive front of the Detroit Lions. That team will be a playoff contender in 2010.

On how the Cowboys should draft in the first round if they have a top 10 pick:

Gosselin: When you're drafting in the Top 10, you can never go wrong taking the best player on your board. In the second, third and fourth rounds I'd try to address needs. But never, ever, ever pass up a blue-chip player at the top of a draft to fill a need with a lesser player at a need position. You win championships with blue-chip players. You get them in the Top 10 of drafts.

On if the Cowboys will draft LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson:

Gosselin: If the Cowboys are drafting in the Top 10, he'd be a possibility. I'm not sure the Cowboys will be drafting that high, though. I also think there are other, possibly more pressing issues. Safety and offensive tackle come to mind.

On who to take in the draft that is almost sure to be a top ten pick:

Gosselin: Stanford QB Andrew Luck. Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan have proven you can play right away at that position. I love the new wave of quarterbacks that have come into the league in recent seasons. If I was running an NFL team, I'd want my own young quarterback. I'd want Luck. But unless you have the first overall pick of this draft, you're not going to get him.

On what Jerry Jones will do if Andrew Luck is available:

Gosselin: Take him. Tony Romo will be 31 next season and has only one playoff victory under his belt. If he was 31 with two Super Bowl rings, I'd say trade the pick. But if you don't already have a Super Bowl quarterback, go find one.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Good stuff from Gosselin. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I and I prefaced my statement that it probably wont happen just like we probably wont switch the 3-4 even though it'd make the most sense if we could get our hands on a guy like Fairley. I just think its funny that some player can be dismissed but than an undersized middle linebacker like Nate Irving can be talked about when we know Jerry loves Bradie James and we just invested a 2nd round pick in Sean Lee. Realistically I think the pick will be Pat Peterson or Amukamara if either is on the board. Jerry drafts like a fantasy football player.
If you already admit that it probably won't happen, why are you trying to make a case for it? We all agree that it probably won't happen. I'm in the boat that it won't happen 100%. Call me crazy. lol.

Sean Lee is the replacement for Bradie. I'm talking about the replacement for Brooking. But I must say... I do like Leon Williams in what little action he sees.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

Quote:
If you already admit that it probably won't happen, why are you trying to make a case for it? We all agree that it probably won't happen. I'm in the boat that it won't happen 100%. Call me crazy. lol.

Sean Lee is the replacement for Bradie. I'm talking about the replacement for Brooking. But I must say... I do like Leon Williams in what little action he sees.
Sean Lee is the replacement for Brookings. Sorry to bust your bubble.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

The Cowboys need to pick Nick Fairley in this draft.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft

I think if u can take Luck..go ahead. I don't have a problem with that.

As far as OT...i think if they get pushed down to 2nd round that will be good....i think we could come trade down and get a DT stud and pick a FS and still get a top 3 OL in Round 1...that's if we trade down with our 1st pick.

Their will be a lot of teams trying to move up to select the QB and the WR Green.

Since we don't need a WR.....I think we cna moved down or get the CB and take top OL in round 2 with the FS in round 3.

I just want us to pick some players who come from tough schools. NO projects or special need players we need to pick 3 solid picks.

Top players who I like....just like...i am not an expert

Peterson
Prince
Wiesneski
the safety from NC

I think we can come up with at least one of these...

But I am starting to think we can go in another direction in round 1 and not get the CB...at leasat for this year. I think CB's are very up and down and if u have a good line u can compassionate for avg CB.

But we do need a FS in round 2 and we also need a OT.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good news is the Cam Newton hype train can only help an elite prospect to fall into our laps. I just hope he lands with an AFC team bc that guy is going to be extremely hard to stop in the NFL.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
The Cowboys need to pick Nick Fairley in this draft.
LOL. What happened to the ole "Cowboys need to draft an OT in the first round" talk? How many pages did you fight with us about that, to now come here and say something that we've been saying since the start.

Nice conversion. Glad you see more clearly now.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Sean Lee is the replacement for Brookings. Sorry to bust your bubble.
I'd like to hear more about this... from everyone. Thoughts???
Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not too picky about K, so if we can find a good one, I'm all for it. Let's use that pick we got from Patrick Crayton to get him.
Herbstreit called him the best kicker he's ever seen in college last night. We certainly need an upgrade. We probably won't draft him, even if available, as Jerrah passed up Crosby for Folk back in the day.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote