Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I couldn't help but point out how bias this post is.

You said "Jordan is strictly a LE in a 40 front". Is this a projection on your part....or did you not watch one single game that Jordan played in?

You might want to backup that statement since that is quite far away from the norm. While I love people bringing up new ideas that haven't been talked about...you didn't back that up with any facts.

If you can bring in some talk about Jordan lacking physicality I'd love that as well...pretty sure I can quote anyone from the senior bowl or coaching staff and not see the word soft.
He's a finesse player and I think he'd be much better off as a LE in a traditional front. He's never struck me as an dominating interior player, I don't think he'll be able to handle Guards as well as Watt will at the NFL level. I've never seen him flash a great bull rush and collapse the pocket and you'd expect that out of a dominating 5 technique. I think he's strong enough to hold up at the POA but he'll never overpower anyone.

I've seen Watt physically manhandle lineman in college, but never have with Jordan.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every year after the combine I try to come up with a declaration for the Dallas Cowboys and the up coming draft.

I'm going to go all over the board here so sorry if it feels like it's all over the place.

The biggest thing to get out of this draft is the question that no one here can answer. How much power does Jason Garrett have.

Anyone that watched the Cowboys last year saw Jason Garrett cut out the PA game and the deep drops. We just didn't have the protection and to protect our QB we implemented a heavy quick passing scheme. But look at the JG offense the 2 years prior and you see that it's a layers passing scheme.

I bring this up for one simple thing that has a chance to be answered on draft day.

3 scenarios can take place. Move up/stay/move down.

Moving up makes sense for 1 person imo. It's been noted by sources that Peterson is #1 on our board. If he were to fall out of the top 5 I'd be hard pressed to see Jerry not on the phone. The cost is going to be the only thing keeping it from happening. However like I said about a 1st and a 2nd round pick seems steep...so it's going to have to be a team not looking for a lot.

Staying put makes some sense....should have our choice at a few need positions. 5-tech/OT/CB should all have value there. So this is where I look to see who is running the show. This OT class has 4 surefire starters in the first round imo and there seems to be a few different flavors. That said the 5-tech's value looks to be better...so this could be a classic BPA vs. BPA for need. The exception here is Prince because he fills a need and is arguably the one guy in this class that could start at Safety for us an be an upgrade over what we had last year. Prince also could be the replacement for Newman if that is the direction the team decides to go....Hard to argue that Prince wouldn't be the perfect fit here regardless of where you play him.

Last thing to look at is a trade down. The QB class this year is all over the board. It's going to come down to team preferences. Julio Jones also working out better than AJ Green adds another blue chip prospect to the top 10 mix. Trading down to me comes as the most likely to be done on draft day for the Cowboys.

While trading down usually comes with decreased talent...we are in an interesting spot. The DL class is probably the most talented/deep in the past 10 years. This corner class is also deep. The exception for me here when looking at our needs is the OT class. While the 2nd and 3rd rounds are full of OG/C tweeners the OT goes from starter to borderline 2nd string at about the end of the 1st round.

My thoughts are this....if Jason Garrett is truly running the show, I think it is highly likely that we move down into that 12-16 range. Garrett is an offensive minded head coach...and while Jerry has a history of going skill position I think that when breaking down the offense last year and the defense...that the secondary and the OL held us back.

My guess is on draft day.

PP probably goes top 5...if he doesn't I still find it unlikely that we move up for him unless it's something little like moving up to pick 8 just because of the asking price.

If we are picking on the clock at #9 and a offer comes that makes sense I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at us moving down. As a matter of fact I think that is what we will do. If a blue chip prospect is available at 9 I think you take him. But I just don't see that happening at this point.

I think when stacking up this draft class you'll see us try to get 2 starters early and a 3rd corner later.

I think we'll go DL first and move back into the first round to take our future OT or OG. The only thing I could see changing this is if we like one of the corners. Then we could take our pick in the 3rd round with the deep DL class.

If we decide to go OL or DB at 9 which would be my 2nd most likely scenario...we'll definitely have a target on Stephen Paea. I have no doubt in my mind that he is our Sean Lee. Injury concerns and a 1st round talent that will probably fall because of the outstanding concerns. On the field he is a 1st round talent....pair the concerns with an amazing DL class and he'll fall further than he should. I think we'll make it an issue to add him to our team if we go OL/DB at 9.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
He's a finesse player and I think he'd be much better off as a LE in a traditional front. He's never struck me as an dominating interior player, I don't think he'll be able to handle Guards as well as Watt will at the NFL level. I've never seen him flash a great bull rush and collapse the pocket and you'd expect that out of a dominating 5 technique. I think he's strong enough to hold up at the POA but he'll never overpower anyone.

I've seen Watt physically manhandle lineman in college, but never have with Jordan.
I'll start by posting a non-bias video. This is not a highlight video...this is a breakdown of him. The pro's and cons. I find it funny that you knock his bull rush when that is arguably his best attribute. His ability to overwhelm the interior OL with his hands is why scouts rave about his ability to be violent on the inside.

Senior Bowl excerpt
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...cameron-jordan
Quote:
"One of his greatest strengths is his hands. He has very active hands, very strong hands, and that makes it really hard for an offensive lineman to stick on the block. One of the things that separates the good defensive linemen from the great ones is the ability to counter when they don't win with their first move, and he does an excellent job countering when he doesn't win with his first move. He's relentless, too. You'll see him chasing running backs 40 yards down the field.
The funny thing is that you call him a "finesse player" yet everything that his 2010 tape and 2011 offseason workouts have proved is how violent and how much of a man he has looked like when playing amongst the best in the senior bowl. Then his knock was his lateral agility....he went to the combine and I thought he outperformed his athletic ability he had shown on tape. That isn't a knock on him...it actually shows some untapped potential which raises his ceiling which was thought to be not as high as some guys in this class.

Bottom line is...while stacking Jordan and Watt up next to each other it's hard to go wrong with either one....but what you said about Jordan has almost little to no merit. Feel free to back up your thoughts and views with sources if you want and we can continue this argument...but I'm going to go with you haven't seen enough of Jordan to even have enough knowledge to form a informative opinion on him.

Watt is teh sex...but don't sell other prospect short over your homerism for Watt.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Every year after the combine I try to come up with a declaration for the Dallas Cowboys and the up coming draft.

I'm going to go all over the board here so sorry if it feels like it's all over the place.

The biggest thing to get out of this draft is the question that no one here can answer. How much power does Jason Garrett have.

Anyone that watched the Cowboys last year saw Jason Garrett cut out the PA game and the deep drops. We just didn't have the protection and to protect our QB we implemented a heavy quick passing scheme. But look at the JG offense the 2 years prior and you see that it's a layers passing scheme.

I bring this up for one simple thing that has a chance to be answered on draft day.

3 scenarios can take place. Move up/stay/move down.

Moving up makes sense for 1 person imo. It's been noted by sources that Peterson is #1 on our board. If he were to fall out of the top 5 I'd be hard pressed to see Jerry not on the phone. The cost is going to be the only thing keeping it from happening. However like I said about a 1st and a 2nd round pick seems steep...so it's going to have to be a team not looking for a lot.

Staying put makes some sense....should have our choice at a few need positions. 5-tech/OT/CB should all have value there. So this is where I look to see who is running the show. This OT class has 4 surefire starters in the first round imo and there seems to be a few different flavors. That said the 5-tech's value looks to be better...so this could be a classic BPA vs. BPA for need. The exception here is Prince because he fills a need and is arguably the one guy in this class that could start at Safety for us an be an upgrade over what we had last year. Prince also could be the replacement for Newman if that is the direction the team decides to go....Hard to argue that Prince wouldn't be the perfect fit here regardless of where you play him.

Last thing to look at is a trade down. The QB class this year is all over the board. It's going to come down to team preferences. Julio Jones also working out better than AJ Green adds another blue chip prospect to the top 10 mix. Trading down to me comes as the most likely to be done on draft day for the Cowboys.

While trading down usually comes with decreased talent...we are in an interesting spot. The DL class is probably the most talented/deep in the past 10 years. This corner class is also deep. The exception for me here when looking at our needs is the OT class. While the 2nd and 3rd rounds are full of OG/C tweeners the OT goes from starter to borderline 2nd string at about the end of the 1st round.

My thoughts are this....if Jason Garrett is truly running the show, I think it is highly likely that we move down into that 12-16 range. Garrett is an offensive minded head coach...and while Jerry has a history of going skill position I think that when breaking down the offense last year and the defense...that the secondary and the OL held us back.

My guess is on draft day.

PP probably goes top 5...if he doesn't I still find it unlikely that we move up for him unless it's something little like moving up to pick 8 just because of the asking price.

If we are picking on the clock at #9 and a offer comes that makes sense I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at us moving down. As a matter of fact I think that is what we will do. If a blue chip prospect is available at 9 I think you take him. But I just don't see that happening at this point.

I think when stacking up this draft class you'll see us try to get 2 starters early and a 3rd corner later.

I think we'll go DL first and move back into the first round to take our future OT or OG. The only thing I could see changing this is if we like one of the corners. Then we could take our pick in the 3rd round with the deep DL class.

If we decide to go OL or DB at 9 which would be my 2nd most likely scenario...we'll definitely have a target on Stephen Paea. I have no doubt in my mind that he is our Sean Lee. Injury concerns and a 1st round talent that will probably fall because of the outstanding concerns. On the field he is a 1st round talent....pair the concerns with an amazing DL class and he'll fall further than he should. I think we'll make it an issue to add him to our team if we go OL/DB at 9.
I like your thoughts man. Sound as always. I'll reply to your post and provide some of my own thoughts in the process. I may be all over the place as well in this post, but here goes.

As for Jason Garrett, much was made about him being the shot caller on player acquisition on his hire announcement, but we're smarter than to take Jerry for his word, right? haha. I can understand the apprehension to disbelieve, and the interest to see how Garrett works his way through this draft. Personally, I don't think that we are more likely to take an offensive player just because Garrett is an offensive guy. I know you didn't infer that, I'm just saying. But I do agree if it is an offensive pick then OT is the only way to go.

As much as I love Tyron Smith, I just don't buy Jerry's Cowboys to draft an OL in Round 1. Things might be different this year without the ability to fill needs via FA prior to the draft. But I think/hope the team will do their homework and realize that once FA does begin that the class of FAs will be one of the best in years at all positions. If they do that, then I think we'll once again attempt to fill immediate OL needs (mainly RT) via FA with proven vets.

So I'm not investing a lot of thought into addressing the OL in the draft to fill immediate needs. Rather, look at us addressing OL in the draft on developmental guys. I've mentioned these names before, but I think the Cowboys look at a C prospect like Brandon Fusco or a John Moffitt (Garrrett has close ties to Wisconsin's OC) at the mid rounds in the draft..

--------------------------------------

I find it interesting that you're holding onto that though that if we would draft Amukamara at #9 that we would plug him in at Safety. Don't get me wrong. I love the thought, but I'm not sure that's how the team would use him. Same with Peterson. I love the thought of him as a Safety, but I'm not sure that's how we'd use him if we got him. I hear the timidness of giving up picks for Peterson, but my take is that...I give up our 1st and 2nd in a heartbeat!!! He's not just a game changer, he's a team changer. Dude can help turn this team around single handedly. He's one of those Polamalu, Reed, Revis, Woodson, Bailey, the old Bob Sanders types. Their impact to the team is identity altering. Either way, Peterson or Prince at CB or S is ok with me. First step is to get one.

I don't see Peterson getting past the Niners at 7, so I think a move up to Cleveland at 6 is our most hopeful scenario (while we squeeze our cheeks that not only he falls there, but no other team tries to trade up for him either). We have a history of trading with the Browns, so that is something to keep in mind... BUT what I think really helps us is the fact that Julio Jones has emerged as the Top WR on many teams' boards post combine. I think Cleveland could be hoping for Jones or Green, so #9 is a great opportunity for them to get one and pick up pick(s).

I want Peterson more than any combination we can get with our first 2 picks. I predict Newman gets cut. There's just no way we can justify his salary for next season. Maybe we see a situation similar to what GB did with AJ Hawk. I dunno. But I See Newman, Roy, Barber, Colombo all getting the boot. That clears up over $22M in just 2011-12 salary. Those monies I predict will be spent on one big FA signing followed by some smaller ones.

The big one could even be Asomugha. With Rob Ryan's close ties, I think we have a leg up on the competition. That might not even be our last steal from the Raiders. I could see us getting Huff too. Maybe a more likely scenario is that we get one or the other. I can live with that. If we get Aso, Peterson goes to S. If we get Huff, Peterson stays at CB opposite Jenkins. We'll need a veteran in the secondary once we let Newman go. I think Newman could get more money on the FA market than we would be willing to offer him. But if he takes less to stay with us, I'm fine with that too. I just know that we can't afford to pay him his $9M dollars next season.

So where are we know??? I told you I'd be all over the place... Umm, DE. I like Watt more than Jordan by a mile. I think Jordan will have a harder time making the adjustment against NFL OL. I think Finisher has a point when he called him finesse. Jordan gets by on technique and speed... which would be great if we were running a 4-3. But I just don't think he has the mass or power for being a 34 DE in Ryan's scheme. I wouldn't question his ability to fight through blocks, but I would question his ability to occupy blockers for our LBs to make play and I think he would be a liability against the run too. Watt is more of a complete package. He's got the long arms, power and instinct I love. I would be totally stoked if we stayed at #9 and took JJ Watt. But that's not my prediction.

If we stay at #9, I would predict us going with Prince Amukamara. I think the need is far too great. Our secondary was torn to shreds last season. His 40 time at the combined eased some of my concerns about his lack of speed to be honest. Plus, the DL class is deep enough that someone will be there in Round 2... a Muhammed Wilkerson, Allen Bailey, Christian Ballard, Corey Liuget type. That said, I wouldn't automatically peg us with one just because we passed on Watt or Cameron in Round 1. Jerry has shown the affinity for drafting OL in Round 2, so I could see us going that route with a Marcus Cannon, Stefan Wisneiwski, Mike Pouncey...

I see that you've locked on to Stephen Paea. Interesting. I know Ryan was impressed with his bench press numbers, but based on his size, I question his fit with our defense. I'm sure Ryan is flexibile enough to scheme around the players, but it still raises a question mark with me. I should know better than to base my opinion on a Polynesian based off his height. Those guys are bred like oxes. Their sisters could probably start for some NFL teams. LOL. If we land Paea, I know where to spread the love. You called it on Jason Williams, maybe you hit again this year.

If we trade down, then all hell breaks loose on the different scenarios.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't get how everyone thinks Newman and Jenkins BOTH took a step backwards. If Newman took a step backwards, I would be willing to say age caught up with him. If Jenkins took a step backwards, I could see the arguement that he was a young, exposed player. But when BOTH of them step backwards at the same time???? It seems to me that means the pass rush was lacking.

I hate drafting a 3-4 DL so high in the first round unless a dominate force falls. So maybe an OL is the way to go (I am not a fan of this, either.)

All I am saying is when ALL of the cornerbacks take a step back we need to look at other positions.

And for the record-I think it would be dumb to take PP or Prince and change their position to Safety. Safety is not as important as Cornerback. If you draft a great prospect at corner and change him to safety, you are making a big mistake.

If anyone can show me ONE example of drafting a great cornerback prospect and moving him to safety and getting great results, I will admit I am wrong. Untill then, stop talking about drafting an awesome cornerback and using him as a safety!

I am fearful of taking a stand against D-Unit for obvious reasons. He has more cred than I do. But drafting a top corner prospect and moving him to safety? Why would you do that??? And more importantly, has it ever been done? And has it ever been done with positive results?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 03-09-2011 at 11:10 PM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One last point. If we had a chance at Prince in the draft, moving TNew to safety makes a lot more sense to me than starting Prince out at Safety-and for one reason. TNew is not slow by anyone's standards. Maybe he has lost a step...but he is still plenty fast to play safety. But he is a REALLY good tackler for a cornerback. His form is really good. He doesnt deliver the knockout blow, that I will admit. But he is able to grab people and slow them down. That, to me, is good enough for a safety. So if we are going to draft a corner, leave them at corner!!! If someone is getting moved to safety, move Newman.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I still don't get how everyone thinks Newman and Jenkins BOTH took a step backwards. If Newman took a step backwards, I would be willing to say age caught up with him. If Jenkins took a step backwards, I could see the arguement that he was a young, exposed player. But when BOTH of them step backwards at the same time???? It seems to me that means the pass rush was lacking.

I hate drafting a 3-4 DL so high in the first round unless a dominate force falls. So maybe an OL is the way to go (I am not a fan of this, either.)

All I am saying is when ALL of the cornerbacks take a step back we need to look at other positions.

And for the record-I think it would be dumb to take PP or Prince and change their position to Safety. Safety is not as important as Cornerback. If you draft a great prospect at corner and change him to safety, you are making a big mistake.

If anyone can show me ONE example of drafting a great cornerback prospect and moving him to safety and getting great results, I will admit I am wrong. Untill then, stop talking about drafting an awesome cornerback and using him as a safety!

I am fearful of taking a stand against D-Unit for obvious reasons. He has more cred than I do. But drafting a top corner prospect and moving him to safety? Why would you do that??? And more importantly, has it ever been done? And has it ever been done with positive results?
I think Newman was his same self. Ups and downs throughout the season but overall fine, not great. Jenkins most definitely took a step down, but that's coming off a Pro Bowl season. That said, I really don't blame them. The play of the safeties behind them were horrid and they weren't getting a lot of help up front either. Corner is the HARDEST position to play on defense, imo. They really get hung out to dry when other people aren't doing their jobs.

I'm with you on drafting a DE that high. It would be pretty damn cool if Nick Fairley fell though. I know teams are wary of his questionable character... but dayum... would love him. With Watt, I'd say "eh ok...let's ROLL!" Dareus scares me. I'm sure he's got a nice floor, but I really think he could end up being a mediocre player NOT worth the draft spot. I feel a lot of greater players are going to be taken after him. I don't want Cameron Jordan unless we trade down. But what do we do if Bowers is there? That would be intriguing to say the least.

You've got a point about corners being drafted as safeties. No argument there. But I will argue that it's not a given that Safety is not as important as Corner. I think it boils down to the player. A great safety is better than an ok corner and a great corner is better than an ok safety. I just can't say corner is more important. Importance falls on how impactful the individual player is. Deion Sanders was more important than Brock Marion. It's easy to say Corner is more important than Safety with that in mind. Darren Woodson was more important than Kevin Smith. It's easy to say Safety is more important in that case too. So yeah, I hope you get where I'm coming from. Polamalu and Reed mean a helluva lot more to their teams than the corners they have and Asomugha and Revis do the same.

So if we get Prince or PP, it really doesn't matter to me where they play as long as they fill the hole we need. Dreaming here, but if we get Aso, hell, I still wanna draft PP. We'll just plug him into Safety and BAM! If not, gimme gimme gimme him at corner!!!

As for me and my "cred"... *smiles" made me laugh man. I'm just a guy, dude. ...an "opinionated" guy with a lot of time to burn at work. :) but yeah, nothing to "fear" for sure. You guys are fam.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Dareus...I'd have a hard time envisioning him be anything less than great in the NFL. What a scary player. He was just so dominant.

As for Bowers...you can make him fit in a 34, but there are much better fits out there. I wouldnt hesitate to pass on him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Bowers would allow us to run lots and lots of the 46.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 03-10-2011 at 08:54 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can play the 46 with damn near any of the 1st round Ends. But Bowers fit in your base isnt the greatest.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I love Dareus...I'd have a hard time envisioning him be anything less than great in the NFL. What a scary player. He was just so dominant.

As for Bowers...you can make him fit in a 34, but there are much better fits out there. I wouldnt hesitate to pass on him.
IMO, you just can't go off that. Soooooo many DTs have been dominant in college only to end up as flops. Just a scary thing. First off, he's kind of a tweener between DE and NT. Honestly, I love him more as a NT prospect...something I've been saying for a long time now. At DE, he just doesn't match the explosiveness of Fairley, Watt and Jordan. Nor is he that strong. The 24 reps at the combine is a bit disappointing for a guy that size. So does he have the work ethic? I don't see the signs... rather, I see potential weight control issues.

Now he could end up being great, and that's what everyone is expecting... I just have a little uneasiness about it.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that he won't be there for us. I only want him as a NT and I doubt the team would use him that way.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Del1sle
Rookie

Del1sle hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Haven't posted in a while. I think Dareus will be good, as a 5-tech or NT, and Cameron Jordon is plenty physical enough. I'm all for Watt at this point however if we are going to take a DE at 9.
Del1sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather not spend the money on Watt @ 9. I really like him and feel he could fit in nicely and start day 1, but I feel he's more worth the money at 15-20. However, he might not go that late. If there is no free agency by the time the draft rolls around, I say we go Prince or trade up to get PP. If there is free agency and we address S or CB, then I feel we have some good bargaining power to trade down in the first and look at DE or T. Preferebly T.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, there are so many talented players in this draft, especially where we will be picking. I will be happy with most everyone we talked about.

The top 50-60 guys are either very talented, polished or could make a huge impact on our team within the next few years. Our biggest need is to make sure we are in a position to get at the very least 2 of these guys, if not 3+ of the top 60 players in this draft.

A 6-10 team has multiple holes to fill and multiple needs, especially with several key players possibly leaving via FA if/when that takes place.

We won't be filling every starting position through the draft but this is a great opportunity to get some guys who can be solid for the next 3-5 years at least!
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

thule made a provocative post here, kudos, prompting lots of speculation & responses from the fanbase while the NFL is tied up in knots over the CBA extended discussions.

I'm thinking you're right about 2-3 starters + depth on both lines with this draft so studded with quality d-linemen.

OL or DB at 9 sounds about right, insufficient ammunition to trade up for Peterson sitting alone on the top of so many boards now as many gurus & pundits are calling him a once in a generation player -- save our disappointment when Dallas doesn't get him, they said the same thing last yr. about Eric Berry.

So it's like the 2nd-best OT or the 2nd or 3rd CB, both best case scenarios. I would like to note that there is also a major controversy over the top-ranked OT this yr. since there is no sure thing D'Brickashaw or Joe Thomas, all a matter of opinion, big palpable drawbacks to both Castonzo & Solder on whom they will pass, Carimi &/or Sherrod might be gone by 9 if that run on OTs happens in the early 1st rd. as it could based on the team needs & recent no. of teams moving up the 1st rd for an OT (Chicago & the Steelers, both playoffs teams drafting late, have obvious OL needs to be addressed). If it's DE it has to be a solo designated Their Guy, either Jordan or Watt.

When it settles down to sticking at #9 & picking a CB or OT, it well be Amukamara or the OT of your choice, I'm sticking to my guns on Tyron Smith after the postseason superlatives draftniks have heaped on him, others like Carimi & Sherrod have their vocal fans out there too. With the Tyron Smith selection some in the gallery at the Draft will gasp, some will scream "Reach!" but I think Dallas wants someone who can be an impact rookie at RT or CB replacing Newman & that's where they will go.

Those 3 new starters could be an ORT, a CB, & a DE. As to who & which ones actually start in September, pick 'em, that's a mystical enigma of the FB universe that no one can answer with assurance when you're 2nd-guessing the Valley Ranch braintrust. And I still think their surprise of this Draft with be a mid-round value at backup QB -- McGee is < inspirational of confidence for the future & Kitna is very near retirement age.

Last edited by LizardState : 03-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Scott Wright: It’s Draft Day. You’re watching TV. You hear your name called and you hear "Dallas Cowboys". What’s your first thought?

Von Miller: I’d probably pass out. My mom would probably throw water on me, but I’d probably pass out again. [Laughter] I’m from Dallas, and you know I don’t want to be biased towards any teams. Whatever team gets me, gets me, and I’d love to play for any team. But if I had to pick…I’m from Dallas.

Makes my man crush on him grow even more!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like he's more interested in the Cowboys than the Cowboys are interested in him....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...th-cowboys.ece
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I think about it the more I'm not seeing Prince being on the Cowboys radar. He's my favorite DB in this draft, but I guess they want to go a different direction. I can't blame them for falling in love with Peterson. I like him too, and it's tough to tell where he's going to go. I can see him going in the top 3, and getting close to number 9 too if some teams go crazy over the quarterbacks.

Part of making peace with Prince not being on the radar and PP maybe being out of reach is me really loving Marcell Dareus. I always liked him, but if he falls he could be just what they need because he's versatile and very dominant. With him you don't have to worry about fitting the scheme. You just put him wherever he's comfortable and he'll be good. It's looking like he won't fall either, so trading down and getting Watt, Jordan, or Carimi looks better and better since you have the possibility of free agency not happening until after the draft.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Jarius Byrd is the first guy that comes to mind. He was a corner at Oregon and made an immediate impact starting at Safety for the Bills. He is a playmaker and was placed in a position where he can make plays all over the field.

I think Prince or PP would be similar in this situation, put them on the field, especially in a position where they can make plays all over the field. Both of them have the ability to tackle in the box, but I salivate thinking how much they could immediately help out our secondary!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
Jarius Byrd is the first guy that comes to mind. He was a corner at Oregon and made an immediate impact starting at Safety for the Bills. He is a playmaker and was placed in a position where he can make plays all over the field.

I think Prince or PP would be similar in this situation, put them on the field, especially in a position where they can make plays all over the field. Both of them have the ability to tackle in the box, but I salivate thinking how much they could immediately help out our secondary!
I think the point he was trying to make is that a top corner back prospect hasn't been drafted that high and changed positions. I agree with the sentiment. In the 2nd round and on you can do that but not in the top 10 of the draft IMO.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Hmmm, so a top corner has less potential to make the adjustment than a guy taken in the second round? I completely disagree. I think either Prince or PP will be great if they were asked to move to safety and they accepted the role and worked their butt off to learn it.

Sure, there would be a learning curve, but both of the guys have plus ball skills and a knack for making plays.

Sure, corner is a bit tougher because of the island they play on, but how can we not be better by taking either of these guys, even if they do move to safety?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Antrel Rolle was draft at 6 and moved to safety.
Malcolm Jenkins was drafted early and moved to safety. Both are important players to their respected teams.

CB to S makes a lot of sense when you get players with ball skills.

The funny thing to mention in here is the talk of Aaron Williams possibly being looked at as a safety prospect. Rumors are starting to come out...he really looks like one of those guys that will make the transition to safety in the pro's.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here but is a much better value at 41 than say a guy like Rahim Moore.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The move from CB to S is one of the most common positional changes in all of football. It happens all the time. Ronnie Lott was drafted 8th overall as a CB, dominated....and then moved to safety, where he also dominated. It happens constantly. But I don't think Amukamara is a safety. I think PP could do whatever he wanted to, and a positional change could work out for him because of his sheer physical ability. But I am not as comfortable with the idea of moving Prince back there.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Woah...ready for a interesting tidbit boys.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/...oard-interview

Quote:
BTB: I know Cowboys fans have been hearing a lot about Smith of late, but some are still hesitant about him—largely, I think, because he came on the scene later than the senior OL candidates. Tell us more about him.

Longball: Before we start the Bruce Campbell comparisons from last year, Smith has good game tape. I have it from 2 different sources (one from USC) that Dallas has requested more film on Smith than any other NFL team. If that were to happen, a mock might look like this:
Woah interesting...that pick screams Jason Garrett...Smith is so agile on his feet and already has experience on the right side....with the way Garrett moves his lineman Columbo is the only one on our line that isn't agile....don't know how much substance this holds...but I'm all for a draft that starts with Smith and maybe a guy like Paea or Aaron Williams in the 2nd.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Woah...ready for a interesting tidbit boys.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/...oard-interview

Woah interesting...that pick screams Jason Garrett...Smith is so agile on his feet and already has experience on the right side....with the way Garrett moves his lineman Columbo is the only one on our line that isn't agile....don't know how much substance this holds...but I'm all for a draft that starts with Smith and maybe a guy like Paea or Aaron Williams in the 2nd.
I love Smith and wouldn't mind seeing whoever our top secondary prospect that's left on the board going in the second. :D
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote