Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
We need some guys who can rush the passer. That would help the secondary out a bunch (not to say we don't need help there). We need a serious upgrade in the interior o-line. If we get a Mankins (maybe a dream, but who knows) in FA, a Bowers/Dareus type in the draft, and an NFL-caliber free safety, I think we're a playoff team in 2011 as long as Romo comes back healthy.
First off, I don't care if we had a healthy Richard Seymour in his prime. That would NOT fix the problems we have in the secondary with Scandrick, Ball and Sensabaugh. So, no I am NOT a proponent of drafting DL that high in round 1. I always hear people say... fix the pass rush and that will fix the secondary. Well... that goes both ways, and people don't often see it that way. A lockdown secondary would equally help the pass rush. Don't get stuck thinking that things only happen in the trenches.

If we move to the 4-3, then fine... get me that big time DT. Otherwise, don't. It's just not worth it for the 3-4, because that's not where our main pass rush comes from. ..and part of the beauty of the 3-4 is finding 3-4 DEs are easier to do.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 906
Reputation: 83182
dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
First off, I don't care if we had a healthy Richard Seymour in his prime. That would NOT fix the problems we have in the secondary with Scandrick, Ball and Sensabaugh. So, no I am NOT a proponent of drafting DL that high in round 1. I always hear people say... fix the pass rush and that will fix the secondary. Well... that goes both ways, and people don't often see it that way. A lockdown secondary would equally help the pass rush. Don't get stuck thinking that things only happen in the trenches.

If we move to the 4-3, then fine... get me that big time DT. Otherwise, don't. It's just not worth it for the 3-4, because that's not where our main pass rush comes from. ..and part of the beauty of the 3-4 is finding 3-4 DEs are easier to do.
Agreed we have some below average talent in the secondary, but you can mask that with a consistent pash rush and scheme. We have Scandrick and Sensabaugh playing major roles last year, and the D was great the last 8 weeks. Why? Alot of it had to do with the great pash rush Ware and Spencer were getting off the ends and Ratliff was getting up the middle. We're just not getting that this year, and it's killed us.

I'm not advocating we don't address secondary, because not addressing the FS position has been one of Jerry's absolute failures, but I am not sure all the blame/attention in the draft can go strictly to the secondary.

Last edited by dsc1600 : 11-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Agreed we have some below average talent in the secondary, but you can mask that with a consistent pash rush and scheme. We have Scandrick and Sensabaugh playing major roles last year, and the D was great the last 8 weeks. Why? Alot of it had to do with the great pash rush Ware and Spencer were getting off the ends and Ratliff was getting up the middle. We're just not getting that this year, and it's killed us.

I'm not advocating we don't address secondary, because not addressing the FS position has been one of Jerry's absolute failures, but I am not sure all the blame/attention in the draft can go strictly to the secondary.
But look at the names you just mentioned that generated the pass rush last year... Ware, Spencer, Ratliff. We're not gonna replace them to get more pass rush. Alternatively, look at our secondary.... We clearly have personnel moves to make. You said it yourself... you can mask the secondary's weakness. Key word "mask". Well, you can only "mask" things so long before NFL teams just expose you over and over again.

Here's the real question....

Are you seeing QBs sit there with all the time in the world before throwing the ball with success?

or

Are you seeing QBs get their passes off quickly with success?

If it's the former, then pass rush is an issue. If it's the latter then coverage is an issue. If it's both then... we gotta figure out which case is more common.


Look at the Chicago game.... We were all over Cutler in the beginning. Then Martz figured out that Cutler needed to get the ball out quicker, so he called for shorter passes and screens. He called plays that would reduce the time Cutler had the ball in his hands. The defense no longer had the time it needed to get to Cutler. Boom... Bears win.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Reputation: 4492
baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
But look at the names you just mentioned that generated the pass rush last year... Ware, Spencer, Ratliff. We're not gonna replace them to get more pass rush. Alternatively, look at our secondary.... We clearly have personnel moves to make. You said it yourself... you can mask the secondary's weakness. Key word "mask". Well, you can only "mask" things so long before NFL teams just expose you over and over again.

Here's the real question....

Are you seeing QBs sit there with all the time in the world before throwing the ball with success?

or

Are you seeing QBs get their passes off quickly with success?

If it's the former, then pass rush is an issue. If it's the latter then coverage is an issue. If it's both then... we gotta figure out which case is more common.


Look at the Chicago game.... We were all over Cutler in the beginning. Then Martz figured out that Cutler needed to get the ball out quicker, so he called for shorter passes and screens. He called plays that would reduce the time Cutler had the ball in his hands. The defense no longer had the time it needed to get to Cutler. Boom... Bears win.
Having watched enough of Pittsburgh over the last few years I would summarize the issue as the following

1) We generate good pressure but over rely on the ILB blitz.
2) ILB Blitz exposes the safeties and corners.
3) Our ILB, however, are not the best in space and it is clear to me we miss the Burnett/Carpenter types guys
4) Our Safeties are not play makers to begins with which further compounds the problem
5) Our DE are better suited for two gap given they don't have the speed or quickness to take advantage of one-gap

So, if we keep 3-4 my suggestions are

1) Play more zone and blitz less -- especially less ILB blitzs.
2) Find some ILB and S who have the athletics to play every down and intelligence to play zone.
3) If blitzing do more over loads on the tackles with a OLB, DB combination. Especially when teams go 4-5 WR. Zone reads

I feel one of the reasons Pittsburgh has been successful is not that they bring pressure every down but that they might the uncertainty effects the play calling and makes for shorter drops.

With the Cowboys you could read the blitz and as a result audibles killed us becasue they could isolate our guys easily.

With Pittsburgh calling an audible might kill your QB or put you into a 2 WR route with 7 covering. Neither good situation. In addition, their ILB cover a-lot of ground if teams throws slants or screens and that makes a huge difference.

So while I don't like of ILB and S talent for the 3-4 -- I think this past week you saw Pasqualoni mix it up quite a bit and it helped. Not terribly fantastic but better in spite of the CB issues we had.

I mean, remember when we killed our Coaches when other teams did not have starting CB and we could not pass the ball .... sort of happened this week to some degree to the GMen. yards, not alot of points and turnovers.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Having watched enough of Pittsburgh over the last few years I would summarize the issue as the following

1) We generate good pressure but over rely on the ILB blitz.
2) ILB Blitz exposes the safeties and corners.
3) Our ILB, however, are not the best in space and it is clear to me we miss the Burnett/Carpenter types guys
4) Our Safeties are not play makers to begins with which further compounds the problem
5) Our DE are better suited for two gap given they don't have the speed or quickness to take advantage of one-gap

So, if we keep 3-4 my suggestions are

1) Play more zone and blitz less -- especially less ILB blitzs.
2) Find some ILB and S who have the athletics to play every down and intelligence to play zone.
3) If blitzing do more over loads on the tackles with a OLB, DB combination. Especially when teams go 4-5 WR. Zone reads

I feel one of the reasons Pittsburgh has been successful is not that they bring pressure every down but that they might the uncertainty effects the play calling and makes for shorter drops.

With the Cowboys you could read the blitz and as a result audibles killed us becasue they could isolate our guys easily.

With Pittsburgh calling an audible might kill your QB or put you into a 2 WR route with 7 covering. Neither good situation. In addition, their ILB cover a-lot of ground if teams throws slants or screens and that makes a huge difference.

So while I don't like of ILB and S talent for the 3-4 -- I think this past week you saw Pasqualoni mix it up quite a bit and it helped. Not terribly fantastic but better in spite of the CB issues we had.

I mean, remember when we killed our Coaches when other teams did not have starting CB and we could not pass the ball .... sort of happened this week to some degree to the GMen. yards, not alot of points and turnovers.
I bolded the parts I liked in your post. How it affects the draft will be uncertain until we know who our coaches are and what changes are made. But if we stick with the same staff/scheme, I agree with some of the stuff you said.

...also, your reading is hard to decifer sometimes. I think you're just typing to fast or something, but can you write so we can understand you more clearly?

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-16-2010 at 01:48 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Reputation: 4492
baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I bolded the parts I liked in your post. How it affects the draft will be uncertain until we know who our coaches are and what changes are made. But if we stick with the same staff/scheme, I agree with some of the stuff you said.

...also, your reading is hard to decifer sometimes. I think you're just typing to fast or something, but can you write so we can understand you more clearly?
A good 3-4 uses lots of underneath zone with 3 LB always in coverage. This is something I found lacking in the Wade 3-4. I think also a good Wade 3-4 requires DE that can play one-gap and we don't have that. Spears, Igor, Canty before them..... all 3-4 DE. Hatcher, Bowen, Ratliff I think have more positional flexibiltiy given their quickness. We just have a bit of a miss-mash of talent in the front 7 and I am not sure our D philosophy has ever been set long enough for anything to take root.

But to me, we have personnel to play D closer to what Parcells/Belichek would do. Thump'em, keep'em in front and pray for a few turnovers due to the Offenses mistakes. With Wade, so much is predicated on the blitz creating big plays -- that is to say the D forces the turnovers mores so than the Offense makes mistakes.

Hope that helps, I do type too quick and thoughts get jumbled up. Sorry.

Moving ....

Here is a name I love Vontaze Burfict -- don't know if he comes out given he is a bit crazy and only a sophomore. But that is an ILB. Maybe a better 4-3 Prospect than 3-4 but man that is the mindset I want on D minus the PF.

Runs, hits, plays hard every damn down.

Last edited by baghdadbob : 11-16-2010 at 02:23 PM.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 906
Reputation: 83182
dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
But look at the names you just mentioned that generated the pass rush last year... Ware, Spencer, Ratliff. We're not gonna replace them to get more pass rush. Alternatively, look at our secondary.... We clearly have personnel moves to make. You said it yourself... you can mask the secondary's weakness. Key word "mask". Well, you can only "mask" things so long before NFL teams just expose you over and over again.

Here's the real question....

Are you seeing QBs sit there with all the time in the world before throwing the ball with success?

or

Are you seeing QBs get their passes off quickly with success?

If it's the former, then pass rush is an issue. If it's the latter then coverage is an issue. If it's both then... we gotta figure out which case is more common.


Look at the Chicago game.... We were all over Cutler in the beginning. Then Martz figured out that Cutler needed to get the ball out quicker, so he called for shorter passes and screens. He called plays that would reduce the time Cutler had the ball in his hands. The defense no longer had the time it needed to get to Cutler. Boom... Bears win.
We're 29th in points allowed, 20th in sacks, 24th in INTs. Clearly the D needs some work, haha. My whole point is not to dismiss our secondary needs (we clearly need a FS, and a nickel CB at least), but to point out that we need to generate more consistant pressure as well. We have Ware, who else can do it consistantly? The question/debate is what to do if the 2 CBs are off the board, and you don't see the value in drafting OL (we draft in the 5-10 area). Or what to do if all our options are on the board (we draft in the top 3 area). It's going to be interesting to discuss going forward.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Teaching the Children of American
Posts: 3,702
Reputation: 39820
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I think you make yourself a big board of the top 32 or so guys in the Draft......Regardless of position...Then you knock of, the few positions we truly do not need. (QB, WR, RB, TE, give or take a position here) At this point your list should be around the range of 15-20 maybe even less. You then proceed the player highest rated there with the pick.


Drafting for need can cause many more problems than it solves. Drafting the best player can also but it tends to happen less.
__________________

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
I think you make yourself a big board of the top 32 or so guys in the Draft......Regardless of position...Then you knock of, the few positions we truly do not need. (QB, WR, RB, TE, give or take a position here) At this point your list should be around the range of 15-20 maybe even less. You then proceed the player highest rated there with the pick.


Drafting for need can cause many more problems than it solves. Drafting the best player can also but it tends to happen less.
I've always said BPA according to need. So I agree with your statement there.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
We're 29th in points allowed, 20th in sacks, 24th in INTs. Clearly the D needs some work, haha. My whole point is not to dismiss our secondary needs (we clearly need a FS, and a nickel CB at least), but to point out that we need to generate more consistant pressure as well. We have Ware, who else can do it consistantly? The question/debate is what to do if the 2 CBs are off the board, and you don't see the value in drafting OL (we draft in the 5-10 area). Or what to do if all our options are on the board (we draft in the top 3 area). It's going to be interesting to discuss going forward.
Well, when you're in November and the draft is in April, I know some people like to lock themselves into thinking who the top prospects are... but the fact is that a lot changes between now and then.

So when you say what to do when the top 2 CBs are off the board... and there is no OL worth taking... I think you're trapping yourself a little bit. For me, I like to project more than others. ie. I don't think Marcel Dareus is the top DT. I don't even think Cameron Heyward is a 1st rounder. Amakumara is not locked in as my #2 CB. Wisneiwski is a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder, imo... not a 1st rounder. Yet, people are saying he is right now. I know everyone has their own projections and I can be totally off (like I am frequently). So the debate on who to take will be a fun one all the way to the end. The way I look at it is... don't lock yourself into thinking about prospect values, but rather... draft strategy... what are your needs vs wants, which positions are deeper than others, which positions are typically first round worthy, how to avoid drafting busts, who are the sleepers, who's flying under the radar, who's overrated, how can you maximize each draft pick, what are Jerry's tendencies, fitting personnel to scheme.. etc etc. That's what I think about when I make my mocks and I talk draft.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
A good 3-4 uses lots of underneath zone with 3 LB always in coverage. This is something I found lacking in the Wade 3-4. I think also a good Wade 3-4 requires DE that can play one-gap and we don't have that. Spears, Igor, Canty before them..... all 3-4 DE. Hatcher, Bowen, Ratliff I think have more positional flexibiltiy given their quickness. We just have a bit of a miss-mash of talent in the front 7 and I am not sure our D philosophy has ever been set long enough for anything to take root.

But to me, we have personnel to play D closer to what Parcells/Belichek would do. Thump'em, keep'em in front and pray for a few turnovers due to the Offenses mistakes. With Wade, so much is predicated on the blitz creating big plays -- that is to say the D forces the turnovers mores so than the Offense makes mistakes.

Hope that helps, I do type too quick and thoughts get jumbled up. Sorry.

Moving ....

Here is a name I love Vontaze Burfict -- don't know if he comes out given he is a bit crazy and only a sophomore. But that is an ILB. Maybe a better 4-3 Prospect than 3-4 but man that is the mindset I want on D minus the PF.

Runs, hits, plays hard every damn down.
Very astute observations! I do agree that we have a mis-match of talent where we have Parcells 2 gap types, trying to fit in Wades' 1 gap scheme. There are several faults for that... Parcells jumping ship suddenly like he did... That alone caused a major halt to the long term rebuilding process. Jerry hiring Wade who's scheme required a different type of player, and then not addressing those adequately. I thought they started off right by drafting Spencer, but they never did enough along the DL. They did bring in Wade's guy in Olshansky, but they kept Spears (bad idea), kept Hatcher (don't ask me why), got rid of Carpenter too late, kept Bradie James too long, and while Brooking was a good get as a stop gap, they whiffed on addressing it long term. Jason Williams, waste. Sean Lee... a little too late. The biggest thing though is letting Ratliff off the hook and not moving him to DE. Early in Wade's tenure, they wanted to play him at DE and had him taking snaps in preseason. Wade was soft and backed off because Ratliff complained about having to go against OGs and big OTs and preferred to face OGs and Cs who are typically smaller than tackles. Wade gave in. Ratliff would be one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league in Wade's 1 gap scheme, but he was afraid of the challenge and didn't want to learn a new position. He saw an easier way out and put up a fit. Hence, while we had a pro bowl NT who's claim to fame came from penetrating backfields, there were many times when teams just ran straight up the gut against us and bowled over Rat... and because he never consistently (is the key word) drew a double team, the rest of Wade's scheme was compromised. Wade tried to compliment Ratliff by addressing NT the way he really wanted to... with more heavy set NTs... Siavii, Brent...even the UDFAs we looked at were huge. No one was of the smaller mold of Ratliff. That to me was another reason why we have a mis-placed bodies and the rebuilding process wasn't address properly. It's no coincidence to me that we are looking at this draft for the same positions we've been looking for since we transition to the 3-4 in year 1. NT, DE, ILB. Why has it taken so long? Poor draft decisions, average FA decisions and weak head coaching decisions to do what is right.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,018
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Some tidbits that caught my eye from Bunting today.

Quote:
I got to take my first look at Central Florida right tackle Jah Reid this weekend and I will admit that I still need to go back and watch some real tape on him. However, my initial TV impressions of the kid were very good. He’s a big, 6-7, 325-pound tackle who carries his weight well, looks really long armed and displays natural bend in his lower half. He displayed good initial balance and body control in pass protection, kept his arms up and showcased good pop and balance when asked to extend and punch. He was also very powerful in the run game, gaining leverage on contact, displaying good hand placement and liked to pump his legs and finish blocks. Now, he does lack great range off the edge vs. speed and at times is forced to open up the gate and lunge into defenders, pushing them past the play. Plus, he isn’t a real velcro player once he gets a hold of a defender despite his size. However, Reid gets off the snap count on time, seems to really understand angles and looks like one of the better right tackle prospects I have seen so far this draft season.
Quote:
We know Georgia FB Shaun Chapas is a tough, high-character kid who can get after you as a lead blocker and likely will be able to fight his way onto an NFL roster because of that. However, watching him this week he did two things that will definitely help his draft stock further because it shows he’s more than just a one-trick pony.

1. He looked natural catching the football out of the backfield in the pass game, getting down the seam on one occasion and with ease/confidence plucking the ball away from his frame.

2. He showed well in the pass game picking up the blitz, stonewalling defenders and moving his feet well through contact in order to keep his side of the pocket clean.

He’s still going to make his money in the NFL as a lead guy, but being able to catch the football and block in the pass game gives this guy the opportunity to play on third down as well, which will only further add to his stock in what is a very good fullback class.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Some tidbits that caught my eye from Bunting today.
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I usually like what Bunting has to say, but I never fully sell myself to it either.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If you get a chance tonight, watch ESPN2. Muhammed Wilkerson, a 6-5, 305 DE will be on the field. He's another guy who I like who makes me think drafting a Top 10 DE would be a mistake. He's just a junior though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,018
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I usually like what Bunting has to say, but I never fully sell myself to it either.
I just follow his updates because he scouts some less heralded players. I hate on draft day when we select a player and I look through the archives of our talks and can't find any discussion on them...so I try to post stuff I find relevant in case we need it down the road. He is also not as cookie cutter as some of the other mainstream stuff...it's nice to read stuff that isn't "tight hips...or doesn't get low in his backpedal consistently enough"....he uses a lot more scouting terms.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I just follow his updates because he scouts some less heralded players. I hate on draft day when we select a player and I look through the archives of our talks and can't find any discussion on them...so I try to post stuff I find relevant in case we need it down the road. He is also not as cookie cutter as some of the other mainstream stuff...it's nice to read stuff that isn't "tight hips...or doesn't get low in his backpedal consistently enough"....he uses a lot more scouting terms.
Reminds me of guys like ... what's his first name again... that Guard we drafted... Brewster in the 3rd round.... Victor Butler (3rd round), Brian Williams (4th round)...

With the late round guys I don't hear about... Erik Walden, Patrick Crayton, Pat McQuistan... I don't care about not knowing... but when it happens in the first 4 rounds, yeah... that frustrates me because I think the team doesn't know what it's doing.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, D1 ATHLETE
Posts: 1,343
Reputation: -3869
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Default

Butler is a keeper. Period.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Butler is a keeper. Period.
Yeah but it was a luxury pick. We had so many other better players to pick from that would be helping us today rather than sitting on our bench. I do like the guy. Don't get me wrong. I'd rather him be starting than Spencer. I've said that many times. But right now, that pick is giving us a big ZERO in ROI.

But the reason why I mentioned him in the first place is because he was a name that wasn't mentioned on these boards... not seen in our forum mocks, etc.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,018
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Some interesting food for thought here.

Columbo will have one more year left on his deal. That said only position that makes a ton of sense on the OL to draft with a top 15 pick is a LT or maybe an elite guard...but once a decade type guy.

That said something funny has came over me. Not sure how many people kept up with the Riley Reiff thread on the forums. But basically the kid is a RS Soph and will be 22 in December. On the field he is Iowa's best OL and while he isn't a technician by any means...he does have elite feet and has a strong drop-step...and displays good lower body power. That said he isn't a finished product he is a ball of clay. Needs to work on upper body strength and doing a better job of locking on to defenders and driving them past the QB...his initial punch seems to be ok..(see upper body strength above) but he doesn't always engage..which leaves him susceptible to the outside in move.

I bring this up for a reason. This OT class is terrible...there might not even be a NFL LT drafted. With that said I've had no problem with Free on the left side...while he hasn't been perfect he has been above average for a LT. But to me if you are going to invest a early pick into the OL and you see a top tier LT talent you have to take him.

Ideally he could sit a year and work on becoming a technician ever down...and we can squeeze one last year out of Columbo. Then Free can move to RT and this kid can play LT.

Am I losing my marbles....I love the idea of having OT taken care of for the next 5 years, even more so than drafting a top flight 5-tech. This class has 1 maybe 2 LT's in it if Reiff declares depending on how you view Sherrod...this class has about 10-15 impact DL.

Something interesting to ponder for us I think. It'd help to know what the organization thinks about Sam Young also...he could be potentially our replacement for Columbo...but thats impossible to project right now.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, D1 ATHLETE
Posts: 1,343
Reputation: -3869
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Default

Free is our LT of the future. I don't think Jerry with allow him to be moved. Plus, that is his natural spot. He is an athlete.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut, D1 ATHLETE
Posts: 1,343
Reputation: -3869
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Default

Do you guys think barber could be a piece of a trade on draft day?
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,569
Reputation: -17613
Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Do you guys think barber could be a piece of a trade on draft day?
If Patrick Crayton only fetches a 7th round pick in trade, I doubt Jerry would get much more for Marion Barber.

The only tradeable assets the Cowboys have that would realistically fetch more than a 3rd round pick are: Tony Romo, Demarcus Ware, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, and Jay Ratliff.

If Jerry wanted to pick up some more high draft picks, his best bet would be to make a bold trade involving Tony Romo or Miles Austin.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 29,659
Reputation: 4263430
bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The problem with Dallas's defense is that it seems to be much better than it really is. The truth is, you have 4 great or potentially great players on D, and the other 7 are mediocre at best.

That's a lot of holes to fill. It's kind of like the Jets defense in a sense that the talent on the unit is overrated but its been masked by good coordination.

Ware, Spencer, Ratliff and possibly Jenkins. Those are your 4 aces. The rest are below average players. Both DEs are below average, both ILBs are below average, the safeties are atrocious, and Newman isn't getting any younger and Scandrick has been poor for 2 seasons now.

You can improve that defense in a number of areas as far as Im concerned. I'd focus on 5 technique if you keep Ratliff at NT, or CB in the 1st round.
__________________
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Some interesting food for thought here.

Columbo will have one more year left on his deal. That said only position that makes a ton of sense on the OL to draft with a top 15 pick is a LT or maybe an elite guard...but once a decade type guy.

That said something funny has came over me. Not sure how many people kept up with the Riley Reiff thread on the forums. But basically the kid is a RS Soph and will be 22 in December. On the field he is Iowa's best OL and while he isn't a technician by any means...he does have elite feet and has a strong drop-step...and displays good lower body power. That said he isn't a finished product he is a ball of clay. Needs to work on upper body strength and doing a better job of locking on to defenders and driving them past the QB...his initial punch seems to be ok..(see upper body strength above) but he doesn't always engage..which leaves him susceptible to the outside in move.

I bring this up for a reason. This OT class is terrible...there might not even be a NFL LT drafted. With that said I've had no problem with Free on the left side...while he hasn't been perfect he has been above average for a LT. But to me if you are going to invest a early pick into the OL and you see a top tier LT talent you have to take him.

Ideally he could sit a year and work on becoming a technician ever down...and we can squeeze one last year out of Columbo. Then Free can move to RT and this kid can play LT.

Am I losing my marbles....I love the idea of having OT taken care of for the next 5 years, even more so than drafting a top flight 5-tech. This class has 1 maybe 2 LT's in it if Reiff declares depending on how you view Sherrod...this class has about 10-15 impact DL.

Something interesting to ponder for us I think. It'd help to know what the organization thinks about Sam Young also...he could be potentially our replacement for Columbo...but thats impossible to project right now.
Yeah, I've been following Reiff real hard. The guys talking about him on the forum are high on his jock. ...as if he's the #1 OT in the draft. I'm not buying it, but I'm not ready to totally dismiss it either. I do think he declares. I think with the CBA issues, that we'll see a lot of juniors who normally wouldn't declare... declare this year. In Scott's radio blog, where he interviewed that scout yesterday, that's what the scout had mentioned. Made sense to me when he explained it. But yeah... I see him declaring and I see us having a shot at him at the top of Round 2 right now. But if I have the choice between Reiff and Tyron Smith, I take Smith... easily.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,608
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Do you guys think barber could be a piece of a trade on draft day?
No. Maybe before the draft, but not during.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.