Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:06 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And even HUNTER CANTWELL???
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me start off this post with saying that I wasn't a huge fan of the clausen pick, to be honest I'd have rathered the Panthers picked tate and pinned their hopes and dreams on Moore, however, let me just point out a few things.

Bradshaw is not now, nor has he ever been known for his abilities as a talent evaluator, not once has he pointed out the good facets of a prospect, until they've become a boom in the NFL in an intelligent and insightful manner. In fact he's never done anything in an intelligent and insightful manner.

The Panthers have a very good offensive coaching staff, Rip Scherer and Davidson may heil from Cleveland initially but they got the best years out of Derek Anderson (before buggering off) and come from the Belichick Tree, they've shown more than once in the past they're capable of coaching young QBs to success.

John Fox never supplants veterans for rookies before the end of training camp. If they don't have a job, generally, they're cut, doesn't matter who's behind them, you can't do the job for Fox it's goodbye - that said he's got a lot of loyalty to his vets, which brings us to cantwell.

In training camp Moore is going to be starting with the first team, that's a no brainer, Cantwell is going to be having to run plays for the second team, this means a lot of rookies and guys with less than 2 years NFL experience in carolina, so the team will want a guy with sound knowledge of the playbook. Clausen doesn't have that yet.

This is a move on the depth chart purely for keeping practices flowing, I'd bet the house that Clausen will be number 2 before long but he doesn't know the plays, doesn't know the audibles, Cantwell does.

Finally:
The Panthers draft on very few things other than game tape. They're not like a lot of teams out there who're going to be wow'd in an interview or by triangle numbers and they never have been. This is why they've been pretty successful over the last three years in the draft, the offensive line was entirely drafted by the Panthers, as were the safeties, the linebackers, the running backs, and the corner backs.

Notice something there, the best assets of the panthers are the linebackers, secondary and the line and runningbacks.

They evaluate well, for the most part.

Sure Clausen could be a huge bust, the point is - none of us know, and Bradshaw knows a damnsight lot less than the Panthers scouting department. I'm willing to give them 3 years benefit of the doubt.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanther22 View Post
you seriously think Tony Pike is better than Jimmy Clausen?
Yes, yes, yes.

Check my posts from before the draft and you'll see I ranked Clausen as my #5 QB. Yeah, FIVE. Why? He wasn't ready for the NFL at all, came from an overrated team, without many assets.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
Yes, yes, yes.

Check my posts from before the draft and you'll see I ranked Clausen as my #5 QB. Yeah, FIVE. Why? He wasn't ready for the NFL at all, came from an overrated team, without many assets.
Without many assets? What does this mean?

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I only have one thing to say...

I actually have two things to say...

This world is full of Clausen haters and he'll prove everyone wrong during the next ten years. He was the best quarterback in this class and will prove that the Rams, Bills, Browns and (unfortunately) the Vikings make the wrong decision on passing on him.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes.

And Pike is ready for the NFL? He came from a spread offense while Clause came from a pro style offense.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is: Pike has an NFL body and a NFL arm. And he has produced as well.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What? Clausen has the size to play in the NFL, easily has the arm to play in the NFL, and produced very well in college.

He may not have an NFL head, but that's not what you're saying.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The thing is: Pike has an NFL body and a NFL arm. And he has produced as well.
A) Pike is tall and thin. He needs to add more weight.
B) His arm is above average, on par with Clausen.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea RC, I have a better NFL body than Tony Pike lol...he's 6'6" and what like 210? I'm 6'3" 210 and most likely in better shape than Tony Pike, I can say that comfortably...

he's probably a better quarterback than me, but to call his physicality good is bad.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes.

Would you please answer my question about what you mean? Clausen didn't have many assets? Golden Tate, Michael Floyd, and Kyle Rudolph?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Would you please answer my question about what you mean? Clausen didn't have many assets? Golden Tate, Michael Floyd, and Kyle Rudolph?
Throw in the worst offensive line in the world.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
So than that should make Clausen look even better, right?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-17-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Which didn't stop him from putting up good numbers. So what is your point?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The QB Class this Year was bad. Tebow getting Picked in the First Round is not even Funny. Clausen will not have the Best Rookie Year. The Panthers have no WR's other than Steve Smith, they have to play the Defending Champs, A Hungry Falcons team and a Rebuliding Tampa Bay, Until they get WR Weapons around him he will not do anyting.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
The QB Class this Year was bad. Tebow getting Picked in the First Round is not even Funny. Clausen will not have the Best Rookie Year. The Panthers have no WR's other than Steve Smith, they have to play the Defending Champs, A Hungry Falcons team and a Rebuliding Tampa Bay, Until they get WR Weapons around him he will not do anyting.
You realise the Panthers went 4-2 in the division and also beat Minnesota who started everyone late in the year once they dropped Delhomme?

They did pretty damn well against NO in the first game and only lost because of a late fumble from DeAngelo Williams, a player who has less turnovers in 2 years than Adrian Peterson had in one game.

The Delhomme incident, is why the Panthers were an 8-8 team last year. They'll be well and truly in the mix this year and I'll be wholly surprised if Clausen starts at all this year.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM    (permalink
scpanther22
Rookie

scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.

the vid of Bradshaw talking about clausen
http://www.wsbt.com/sports/irish/Bra...?video=pop&t=a
scpanther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanther22 View Post
the vid of Bradshaw talking about clausen
http://www.wsbt.com/sports/irish/Bra...?video=pop&t=a
His delivery and mechanics have been instilled in a professional style since he was 13. Bradshaw is ridiculously stupid if he thinks there's anything wrong with the way clausen throws a ball. He had to tweak it a little because of his toe, but other than that "the way he thows da bawl" has never been anything close to an issue.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
You realise the Panthers went 4-2 in the division and also beat Minnesota who started everyone late in the year once they dropped Delhomme?

They did pretty damn well against NO in the first game and only lost because of a late fumble from DeAngelo Williams, a player who has less turnovers in 2 years than Adrian Peterson had in one game.

The Delhomme incident, is why the Panthers were an 8-8 team last year. They'll be well and truly in the mix this year and I'll be wholly surprised if Clausen starts at all this year.
The Loss of Peppers.Harris,Davis will hurt them.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
The Loss of Peppers.Harris,Davis will hurt them.
Peppers yes, Harris hell no considering Martin and Godfrey are both better, Davis, it'll hurt a little but James Anderson was more than adequate in his place last year.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes.

First off, as much as we as fans like to suggest, scouting departments aren't stupid. There is a legitimate reason that Clausen went in the second and Pike went in the sixth. ***** and whine all you want, but regardless, Im going to trust the Panthers scouting department over you every time. You can make the same argument for me, but...

From everything I've seen, and trust I've seen much more then Im comfortable with (stemming from me having no life between March and August), Clausen is far more ready for the NFL then Pike is. Throwing aside the system argument, which I think is highly overrated in the first place, Clausen has a better arm, his mechanics (and by this I mean motion and footwork) are more sound, and he doesn't have the confidence issues that have always haunted Pike. Say what you will about Clausen, and Im certainly not his biggest fan, but confidence isnt an issue. Hes going to go out and hes going to throw the football and he isnt going to regret making a throw.

Saying Pike is more NFL ready then Clausen is just stupid, and you know it. So don't come kicking around here and suggesting that just because he's got a 6'6 frame and a nice arm that he's the next Joe Flacco or Josh Freeman because he isn't. Pike will be lucky if he compares favorable to a guy like Derek Anderson when its all said and done, whereas Clausen has the chance to be a legitimate player in this league. **** Terry Bradshaw, he starred in a movie with Matthew McConaghey. Nuff Said.

Quote:
And I dont know about you, but Ill take a healthy Steve Smith all by his lonesome over a whole hell of a lot of WR cores in the NFL. That man is a warrior and always has been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote