Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bradford to get Record Deal?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...with-bradford/

Quote:
"Adam Schefter of ESPN.com reports that negotiations between the franchise that has won six games in three years and the agents for quarterback Sam Bradford began on Friday, and that the two sides are "expected to lay the groundwork for what will be the richest deal in NFL history."
$45-$50 million guaranteed.....honestly, it's absurd.

As far as I'm concerned, a rookie wage scale can't come soon enough. With any luck, this will be the last year for this kind of BS. No rookie in any sport should ever make more than any other player in the league is currently getting.

In fact, I'd say no rookie, even the #1 pick, should make any more than the average of the players at his position gets in a yearly salary, with a reasonable part of it guaranteed for injury.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who has a major problem with this? I mean...I knew Bradford was going to get a lot of money, but form him to be highest paid player in NFL history? Sam ************* Bradford? Seriously?

How did the NFL ever get to this point? I just read yesterday that the most a team is required to offer a draft pick is a 1 year deal at the rookie minimum (~$300,000.) How did that grow to this point? Anyone???
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...with-bradford/

$45-$50 million guaranteed.....honestly, it's absurd.

As far as I'm concerned, a rookie wage scale can't come soon enough. With any luck, this will be the last year for this kind of BS. No rookie in any sport should ever make more than any other player in the league is currently getting.

In fact, I'd say no rookie, even the #1 pick, should make any more than the average of the players at his position gets in a yearly salary, with a reasonable part of it guaranteed for injury.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who has a major problem with this? I mean...I knew Bradford was going to get a lot of money, but form him to be highest paid player in NFL history? Sam ************* Bradford? Seriously?

How did the NFL ever get to this point? I just read yesterday that the most a team is required to offer a draft pick is a 1 year deal at the rookie minimum (~$300,000.) How did that grow to this point? Anyone???
lack of balance in the negotiations. the team has all the importance in the world to not only get a deal done but to get a deal done soon whilst the player has little to no interest in a quick deal. in the long run getting on the field early is not of great interest cuz by the time a new contract comes around the player will have enough years under their belt anyway

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

I completely agree with you, this is destroying the league. I'm a big fan of Bradford, but seriously? Draft picks shouldn't earn this much, it's just ********. This just helps them to lose their mind with all the money they get.
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in favor of a slotted rookie salary. It'll stop this inflation, and prevent holdouts (unless someone wants to pull an Elway or Eli Manning).

But, I still think they should get very good money. Because believe it or not, high price rookie contracts help the veteran players. Since the vets will come with cheaper contracts, teams will be more willing to sign them in FA rather than drafting a rookie to fill the position. If the rookie contracts are cheaper than the vet contracts, then teams will always draft rookies instead of signing vets because they'll not only get a cheaper player but also a younger one.

So should Bradford be the richest player in history? Hell to the no. But he and all the rookies still need big enough contracts to keep the balance fair between young rookies and older vets. Although it needs to be stated that outside the Top 10 1st RD picks, the contracts aren't obscene at all.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm okay with this because the white man stole all of his people's land.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
lack of balance in the negotiations. the team has all the importance in the world to not only get a deal done but to get a deal done soon whilst the player has little to no interest in a quick deal. in the long run getting on the field early is not of great interest cuz by the time a new contract comes around the player will have enough years under their belt anyway
I'll give you that to an extent.....but I just don't get how it was allowed to get this far. There was once a time when many teams didn't even keep their rookies on their team. I remember watching a show on NFLN a few years ago about the Redskins back in the 70s and out of something like 16 rookies drafted over 12 rounds, they didn't keep a single one of them out of camp.

I realize times have changed quite a bit, but how players who have never played a down started getting paid more..and more...and more...until they're now being the highest paid player in the league? It baffles me.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's what the market is creating. Every year a thread on the first overall pick will be created saying zomggzzz biggest contract everzzz
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
It's what the market is creating. Every year a thread on the first overall pick will be created saying zomggzzz biggest contract everzzz
Right but.....this one literally will be the biggestzzzzzz everzzzzzz. Sam Bradford will be making more money than any current player. The multi-time SB winners, the future HoFers....all of em.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that's a lot of money for a guy who was hurt all last year. the rams are basically betting five years of their club's future that they got the pick right.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this is hilarious actually. 50 million dollars, and he could suck everytime he steps on the field, but for 50 million dollars he's set for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

meh it is what it is. the owners pay it the agents want it the player gets it etc
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I think this is hilarious actually. 50 million dollars, and he could suck everytime he steps on the field, but for 50 million dollars he's set for life.
It's so true....once he puts pen to paper, he could throw a pick on every one of his pass attempts and be rich beyond most people's wildest dreams.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also want a rookie scale, and fast. It's downright preposterous that a franchise is financially tied to a player who has not only not participated in any games, but in any significant team activity (be it practice, training camp, etc.) The point of the draft is to help struggling teams improve by allowing them to pick high, but struggling teams need cap room to sign free agents and improve.

The league should simply define how much a player earns depending on where they're drafted. Every single first overall pick gets the same deal, every second overall pick gets the same deal, and so on. That way, there are no stupid rookie holdouts, and there are virtually no obstacles when it comes to signing them.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw this and laughed. Scaling system start then add 3-5% each year to the picks to grow with it.
zachsaints52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

so an inflationaryesque wage scale?
Quote:
Old 07-16-2010, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one who thought Bradford was getting a music contract after reading the title?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
so an inflationaryesque wage scale?
Im pretty sure thats how the NBA does it. they set the scale and every year increase the pick so that way the pick makes a little more then last years, I guess for the economy reason or something.

Per wikipedia, I am wrong. The only thing for rookies is the 1st pick had to make more then the 2nd, and the 2nd more then the 3rd, etc.

Last edited by zachsaints52 : 07-16-2010 at 08:34 PM.
zachsaints52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That is outrageous. No rookie should get that much guaranteed. I don't think the whole contract should be that high, much less just the guaranteed portion.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Am I the only one who thought Bradford was getting a music contract after reading the title?
Haha......I didn't think that one through....oh well, gets the point across.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I was thinking the same thing
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even the guaranteed money figures in a contract like that are misleading. Just like Russell, Ryan, and Stafford, Bradford's guaranteed figure is above and beyond what he'll actually get from that contract.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree it is ridiculous. No rookie should make that much money.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Next Pro Bowl QB to have his contract expire will get a bigger one. Next year's top pick will get a bigger one too if there's no scale. It's how the NFL works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Next Pro Bowl QB to have his contract expire will get a bigger one. Next year's top pick will get a bigger one too if there's no scale. It's how the NFL works.
The pro bowl QB has at least done something to earn it. The rookie scale can't come soon enough imo.....I can't imagine another CBA being reached without one.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For those of you wondering when all this ridiculousness started, it was pretty much with Michael Vick. Peyton Manning and Tim Couch received $8 and $7 million per year, including 11.6 and 12.5 million bonus respectively.

Fast-forward two years, Michael Vick is getting over $10 million per year. Then it got even worse with Eli Manning. He got $9 million per year, but his guaranteed money doubled what Carson Palmer got the season before to 20 million.
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote