Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
What about Sean Taylor? Now don't burn me but think about it he was on his way to be the Best Safety up there with Reed and Polamalu but he was Murderd. What about HIM?
Really? He was in the NFL for just four years. It's absolutely ridiculous to even mention his name in this discussion. It's unfortunate he was killed, but four years doesn't make a Hall of Famer no matter what the circumstances.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he wins a Super Bowl in the next two years (the Bengals window from what I see) then I see no reason why he couldn't squeeze in or simply if he plays four to five more years. He's far and away the best receiver in franchise history.

Current: 684 rec. 9952 yds 14.5 avg 62 Tds....

Let's say his productive career goes two more seasons..

80 rec 1150 yds 8 Td
75 rec 1050 yds 7 Td
155 rec 2200 15 Td
+ 684 - 9952 - 62 Td
839 rec - 12052 yds - 77 Td

And let's assume he kind of wastes away for two seasons after that...

50 rec 650 yds 4 Td
40 rec 550 yds 3 Td
90 rec 1200 yds 7 Td
839 rec 12052 yds 77 Td
929 rec 13252 yds 84 Td let's say that the end of his career

With those numbers, only 4 seasons more (which should be manageable), he would rank 10th* in NFL history for receptions, 14th* in receiving Tds, and 11th* in receiving yards.

I added the * to account for the fact that Randy Moss, Tory Holt, and others are still compiling numbers. Some may see that four year idea as optimistic and surely some could see it as pessimistic, either way it's a bunch of "what if's" which isn't typically the conversation I like to have. Still, Chad's a strong player to this day who may be more productive this year than last with a more complete cast around him. Maybe he was never the best receiver in the league, nor was he ever the most spectacular or physically imposing, but for years Chad's been productive, he's put together a tremendous career resume, and he may very well be a Hall of Fame player. He's not a first ballot HoFer but he's surely left his print on the game (as evidenced by celebration sanctions) while compiling terrific career numbers. He'll likely finish among the top 15 receivers all time in yards and receptions, while shattering franchise records, so.. what the hell... by the end of his career I think we could be looking at a 75% he makes the Hall.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
I have a question.

With the Tight End a bit different than it was a decade ago, how will voters vote on that position? It's no longer just a blocking position with the occasional catch.

How does someone like Dallas Clark (not him exactly, but a player like him) who is more of a slot WR get voted on compared to more complete TEs?
Kellen Winslow Sr., Shannon Sharpe, and Tony Gonzales have pretty much set the benchmark for the "WR who lines up next to the tackle" position.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Marvin Harrison will make it in, especially with the way his career ended. Of the wide receivers I think that will make it in, there should only be two: Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I don't think Marvin Harrison will make it in, especially with the way his career ended. Of the wide receivers I think that will make it in, there should only be two: Randy Moss and Terrell Owens.
I endorse this message 395482038509329085 times.

Manning and Harrison's are the "Mr. Septembers" of football. I don't think there has been a WR as consistently terrible in the playoffs than Marvin Harrison.

People always ***** about rings affecting perception, especially in a sport as team-oriented as football. It's not the rings, necessarily, that are so important as much as your performance in postseason games. It's why Lynn Swann is in the HoF. Great team or not, that man made the Superbowl his *****. He's one of the best "big game" WRs in history.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 07-19-2010 at 06:47 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Kellen Winslow Sr., Shannon Sharpe, and Tony Gonzales have pretty much set the benchmark for the "WR who lines up next to the tackle" position.
I don't know abotu Winslow Sr or Sharpe, some of the older guys can probably tell me on that, but Tony was also a very willing and good blocker. Its good to see nowadays the TE's like Witten and Miller who can do both block and catch and do it well. Does that factor in you think?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think being an all around player at any position helps a great deal see Derrick Thomas, had he been better vs the run he would have been first ballot.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** yes i love what if games

Jared Allen is 27 with 72 career sacks. Lets says he plays 7 more seasons (I am trying to be realistic):
1. 16
2. 14
3. 14
4. 11
5. 10
6. 8
7. 6

that gives him 151 career sacks. he is actually a bit underrated against the run, he is not putrid against the run. He is a fumble forcing machine and gets a few safeties thanks Dan O.

that would get him in in like umm 4-5 tries i think
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Manning and Harrison's are the "Mr. Septembers" of football. I don't think there has been a WR as consistently terrible in the playoffs than Marvin Harrison.
I love you.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
I think Tomlinson was more dominant through his career.

You are a gold mine for stupid quotes.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
**** yes i love what if games

Jared Allen is 27 with 72 career sacks. Lets says he plays 7 more seasons (I am trying to be realistic):
1. 16
2. 14
3. 14
4. 11
5. 10
6. 8
7. 6

that gives him 151 career sacks. he is actually a bit underrated against the run, he is not putrid against the run. He is a fumble forcing machine and gets a few safeties thanks Dan O.

that would get him in in like umm 4-5 tries i think
He also has caught two passes for two TD's... :)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

People always ***** about rings affecting perception, especially in a sport as team-oriented as football. It's not the rings, necessarily, that are so important as much as your performance in postseason games. It's why Lynn Swann is in the HoF. Great team or not, that man made the Superbowl his *****. He's one of the best "big game" WRs in history.
Lynn Swann had 1 big game - Super Bowl X. That hardly makes him one of the best big game wide receivers in history. Otherwise, I guess I can say that Timmie Smith is one of the greatest big game running backs of all time, because he destroyed the Broncos in the Superbowl and did virtually nothing else in his career. Swann's in the Hall of Fame because he was THE media darling and he shouldn't be in Canton.

As for Marvin Harrison... he is a first ballot hall of famer. If not, they should just stop doing the Hall of Fame.

1,102 career receptions for 14,580 yards and 128 TDs from a 6' 185lb wide receiver. It's not like he was a giant or insanely fast like some guys... he was just very, very good at what he did. 8 straight 1,000+ yard seasons and 4 straight with 1,400+ yards and at least 100 catches.

As for his alleged character issues... Lawrence Taylor is one of the all time pieces of **** and he's a Hall of Famer and no one would ever think of not including him in it. Ray Lewis may or may not have been a major player in a double murder. He's a no doubt, 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and Marvin Harrison should all end up in Canton
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T.O. and Randy Moss are heads and shoulders and probably hips and knees above the three others.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
he was just very, very good at what he did.
Ducking out of bounds so no one would even breathe on him? Cry like a little ***** whenever a CB pushed him around? Not produce in the playoffs?

You're right. The man is unparalled in those fields.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Ducking out of bounds so no one would even breathe on him? Cry like a little ***** whenever a CB pushed him around? Not produce in the playoffs?

You're right. The man is unparalled in those fields.
Hall of Fame *****
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
T.O. and Randy Moss are heads and shoulders and probably hips and knees above the three others.
unless of course you factor in statistics and... team success

Harrison, Bruce and Holt have crazy stats and a ring.

Last edited by wonderbredd24 : 07-19-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I really don't have a problem with a WR stepping out of bounds, I would rather have him healthy then take a unnecessary hit.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
unless of course you factor in statistics and... team success

Harrison, Bruce and Holt have crazy stats and a ring.
Wide receivers cannot be judged head-to-head on rings. That's absurd.

Marvin Harrison is a piece of **** and an enormous *****. You'll excuse me if I don't give him all the credit for his stalwart 5-59 performance in the Super Bowl. Owens' 9-122 game in a loss on a broken leg carries more weight.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:

Marvin Harrison is a piece of **** and an enormous *****. You'll excuse me if I don't give him all the credit for his stalwart 5-59 performance in the Super Bowl. Owens' 9-122 game in a loss on a broken leg carries more weight.
But you can judge him off of one game?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:

I don't like Harrison either. I've heard stories that paint him as a giant piece of ****, but his accomplishments in the NFL are undeniable
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Allen will be the first man inducted into every hall of fame...ever

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
But you can judge him off of one game?
No. I'm just saying that the rings argument for a receiver is absurd and that it certainly wasn't Owens' fault that the Eagles lost to the Patriots. Judging a wide receiver, i.e a player who touches the ball 4-8 times per game, on rings is ******* moronic.

Devery Henderson > Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Hey, he won a Super Bowl, right?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
No. I'm just saying that the rings argument for a receiver is absurd and that it certainly wasn't Owens' fault that the Eagles lost to the Patriots. Judging a wide receiver, i.e a player who touches the ball 4-8 times per game, on rings is ******* moronic.

Devery Henderson > Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Hey, he won a Super Bowl, right?
Because that's what I said and Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino too.

Statistically, those guys are competitive with Moss and Owens AND have a ring.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

umm wait a seconddd
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:

But they're still not better players, so...