Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 08-02-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Yeah, the Steelers played a lot of Cover 2 Man, with the Safeties droping into a Cover 2 and the underneath guys maning up. The Colts played some of that last year though, with Larry Coyer moving away from the traditional Tampa 2.
Yeah that's why I was asking. Despite evidence to the contrary Polian insisted the CBs would continue to play zone. So this signing seems to be further evidence that the Colts want their corners to play man more under Coyer.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Yeah that's why I was asking. Despite evidence to the contrary Polian insisted the CBs would continue to play zone. So this signing seems to be further evidence that the Colts want their corners to play man more under Coyer.
The Colts primarily manned up last year when they blitzed, which was less than 5% of the plays. This year I expect the Colts to still play the Cover 2 with underneath zones about 90% of the time. They will man up sometimes but not very often.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Colts primarily manned up last year when they blitzed, which was less than 5% of the plays. This year I expect the Colts to still play the Cover 2 with underneath zones about 90% of the time. They will man up sometimes but not very often.
The Colts actually blitzed 23.9% of the time last year. Proof. That article sucks as a whole (run defense was far from the Colts problem in 2009), but it does have some nice raw data in it.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The Colts actually blitzed 23.9% of the time last year. Proof. That article sucks as a whole (run defense was far from the Colts problem in 2009), but it does have some nice raw data in it.
It sure as hell didn't seem that often.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It sure as hell didn't seem that often.
I thought we even talked last year about how weird it was to see Brackett blitzing so much, and how surprising it was that he was fairly effective at it. Not many sacks but he did bring some pressure.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gotta be honest.

I'm very underwhelmed by our O-Line options. I hope players will step up.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I gotta be honest.

I'm very underwhelmed by our O-Line options. I hope players will step up.
So am I. We know what we're going to get with CJ, Saturday, and Diem. And in recent years that hasn't been much. I expect a bit of improvement from Devan since he'll have a full offseason and multiple games under his belt. There is some hope that McClendon is a pleasant surprise. Overall there just isn't much to get excited about.

What do you guys think about Bob Sanders' chances? I am still taking the wait-and-see approach and I expect he'll probably miss some significant time, but he's been a lot more available to the media and a lot more vocal, and of course he is also out there practicing instead of in the training room. This is kind of a contract year for him since his salary goes way up after this year. So it's put up or shut up time. If he can play even at 90% of where he was in 2007 the Colts defense could be pretty exciting this year.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
So am I. We know what we're going to get with CJ, Saturday, and Diem. And in recent years that hasn't been much. I expect a bit of improvement from Devan since he'll have a full offseason and multiple games under his belt. There is some hope that McClendon is a pleasant surprise. Overall there just isn't much to get excited about.
According to a number of pundets DeVan isn't currently penciled in for the starting job. According to some the current starters are Pollak at Right Guard and Ugoh at Left Guard.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
According to a number of pundets DeVan isn't currently penciled in for the starting job. According to some the current starters are Pollak at Right Guard and Ugoh at Left Guard.
I don't buy it. We'll see though.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I renamed this thread.

It might as well be our pre-season thread.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Mediocre article with some interesting quotes from Ugoh: http://tribstar.com/sports/x20647398...er-he-s-needed

He obviously didn't like Mudd and likes Metzelaars more. He is also apparently taking quote lessons from Dwight Freeney. "At the end of the day..."

Caldwell's comments were typical Colts coachspeak. He learned it well from Dungy. He did say he's still waiting for Ugoh to play up to his potential and that if he did that he'd be helping the team.

Caldwell also likes the heat and thinks it will help down the road.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 AM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McClendon has been working as the backup center in training camp, a position he's never played before. Bobzilla has to play the bulk of the year or I think he'll be cut at the end of the year. On D, Bullitt, Bethea, and Bob have all been on the field at the same time, sounds like Bullitt might play more as a nickel back this year if Bob can stay healthy. Sounds like the Colts want the best players on the field.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingColt View Post
McClendon has been working as the backup center in training camp, a position he's never played before. Bobzilla has to play the bulk of the year or I think he'll be cut at the end of the year. On D, Bullitt, Bethea, and Bob have all been on the field at the same time, sounds like Bullitt might play more as a nickel back this year if Bob can stay healthy. Sounds like the Colts want the best players on the field.
Dimeback maybe, and nickel if one of the starting 3 CBs gets hurt. But I doubt he'd play in Lacey's place as the CB3. I like Bullit but he is not a corner.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-07-2010, 01:11 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

CJ is hurt apparently. No word as to how serious. Linkenbach has been 1st team LT in his spot and hasn't look good.

It really sounds like O-Line is BY FAR our biggest weakness.

Everywhere else, various players have apparently been impressive.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:02 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indianapolis police have arrested Colts defensive lineman John Gill after finding him passed out in a ditch on the side of a road about 4 a.m. Sunday.
In the police report, Officer Ricardo Flores Jr. says he called out to Gill, who tried to stand up, but couldn't and kept falling over. Flores says he eventually leaned Gill against his police car to keep him from falling.
Uh oh for Gill...

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

He wasn't going to make the team anyway.

I am much more concerned about CJ.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Ugh! Now Saturday is having cleanup knee surgery. Great timing on that one guys, good job.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Oh man, I REALLY hope our O-Line surprises us and plays well this season.

As of right now, it doesn't look good.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default LT is what I worry more

I am more confident that with the plethora of guys that can play center and guard that we may be able to get by without Saturday for a game or two at the beginning of the season but LT, not so sure. Even paid grownups respond to different coaches differently, let us hope that is the case with Ugoh and he does not play like he played against Kyle Vanden Bosch in the first Titans game last year, which was real bad. CJ, it would have been his second full year at LT and normally LTs improve with time, Tarik Glenn was never that good till he had a few years under his belt even though he was a top 20 pick. Eldridge, I repeat, could not have been drafted in a more appropriate year. At worst, we will be confined, despite our WR depth, to play more 2 TE formations, to enable Eldridge to help Ugoh with both pass and run blocking on Manning's left, and Addai can pick up the extra blitzer, if there is one from the middle or right. I think we can make it work if CJ were to miss some extended time.

If CJ, Saturday and Diem were all healthy, it would have given us a big boost for working on cohesion as the year went on but I guess cohesion will have to wait. I feel Richard will fill in for Saturday just fine or if Pollak goes back to his college position of center, Richard will still do fine at LG. Richard did fine filling in for Saturday as center briefly in 2008 and then was starting to do better replacing an injured Lilja in 2008 as guard and then Lilja got his job back since he did know the offense better. I like Richard's toughness more than Pollak or DeVan, IMO and with another year under his belt, I think he won't disappoint.

Maybe, it will be a year like 2008, where we start slow; maybe not as slow since Manning is healthy and so are his bursa sacs :-), more like 6-2 instead of 4-4 the first 8 games in 2008 before the brutal November stretch.

Besides, this is the best D-line I have seen in the Manning era with Moala having a terrific camp backing up Mookie and Muir. Then Chick and Hughes backing up Freeney and Mathis, our D-line rotation finally has as much quality as quantity and I expect them to win us a few games early in the season till our O and O-line get gelling.

Last edited by chad72 : 08-12-2010 at 09:03 PM.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Here are some impressions from the first preseason game:

Offense

- Manning looked good, as expected.
- The top WRs that played all looked good, including Gonzo. I think he had a dropped pass but overall he ran routes well and looked healthy.
- Tamme and especially the rookie Eldridge looked good. He looked like a guard running routes. Good hands too.
- The OL looked awful. I am very concerned about it this year and disappointed in the lack of improvement.
- Painter... awful again. Brandestater looked a little better but not good.
- Blair White might be the WR5 this year.
- Addai is still the #1 back for sure. Brown got outplayed by Mike Hart.

Defense

- DL looked decent. With Freeney in and when Hughes gets up to speed they should be beastly. QBs will fall early and often.
- Muir and AJ looked like your average NFL DTs which is fine. Moala seemed improved but still has a ways to go.
- LBs should be fine but Wheeler didn't show the improvement that I expected given some of the comments from coaches and players in camp.
- I am kind of excited about the secondary. I feel good about corner depth and we have 3 healthy starter-caliber safeties, two of which are Pro Bowlers. Jerraud Powers had a great pick and return, he was excellent as a rookie and I think he will be the CB1 eventually.

STs

- McAfee is a boomer. He was a good draft pick.
- Too bad about Silva, he played hard on kick and punt coverage.
- Brandon James is fast enough, I'd like to see him more on returns before declaring him anything. And I don't know if he brings enough to the table as a WR to make he team.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

So what did you guys think about 2nd preseason game?

Who impressed? Who disappointed?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Offense

Manning didn't look good. Some throws were way too low, or out of synch with the receiver, or bad target choices. I think the protection had something to do with it but he also just looked cold. I'm sure he'll be fine but his 3 or 4 series were not very good. He looked better last week with crisper passes and better decisions.

Painter was improved but still not great. He finally threw a TD.

The OL was putrid. Ugoh was getting pushed toward Manning it seemed like every play. Richard and Pollack were both still playing like rookies. Supposedly McClendon looked good but I stopped watching close to halftime so I didn't see him. We definitely need Saturday, Devan, and CJ back. My new OL starters prediction is Saturday at C, CJ and Diem at OT, Devan and I guess McClendon at OG. They have almost no time to gel as a line but the guys available right now are just not going to cut it in real games.

Addai is absolutely the best RB on the team, the clear #1. Brown might have more home run speed but Addai is very well rounded and has run hard in the preseason. He looks stronger than previous years. His blocking has to be top 5 for a RB. He caught the ball well too. If he can stay healthy there's no way Brown takes the starting job from him.

Brown did look a little better but still has work to do. Looked good on one reception but then dropped one. Devon Moore didn't look too bad running the ball. More on him later. Javarris James did some running but I didn't see it.

Both TEs looked good tonight. I'll mention Tamme first, great TD reception and a special teams force. He is a great Clark backup and I think he will start for another team eventually. He is a good receiver. Just not a good blocker.

I have been excited about Brody Eldridge since the draft. So far he has not disappointed. He has caught I think every ball thrown to him and looked good doing it. He reminds me of Ken Dilger with the way he gets YAC by just dragging guys. He is not fast but faster than you'd expect. And his blocking is light years ahead of Gijon Robinson. He is what I hoped Tom Santi would be. If the real OL starters can play like they did last year, I think the addition of Eldridge alone will make Addai a thousand yard back. It's like having a guard running routes on the field. I haven't seen him as a lead blocker yet but I am excited about it too.

Gonzales looked quick but had a tough time catching the ball. Honestly though it was hard to get much of a read on any of the WRs, Manning was not playing well and the backups are not very good. Taj Smith did redeem himself some with two long receptions, the 2nd for a TD, from Painter.

Defense

The starting DL looked FANTASTIC. Mathis stood out, usually for positive things like sacking the helmet off of Trent Edwards and causing backfield chaos. He had some good run stops too though his whiff on CJ Spillers TD run was pretty bad. Oh well, it's preseason. Freeney was fighting through double-team holds as usual and still got consistent pressure, though he did miss a sack with bad body positioning. Muir and big Mook clogged the middle well and pushed the pocket regularly. I am happy with their performance so far.

Eric Foster also had some good plays and applied some interior pressure (I think he had a sack too), he is still a keeper. Apparently Baldwin and, to lesser extents, Matthews and Favorite played well. I thought from last year that Baldwin had some talent and would stick, I think he will knock Dawson off the roster. King, Chick, Hughes, and I guess Dawson have not done much to impress. Chick looked like an idiot on some plays, King hasn't stood out, neither has Hughes (but hey he's a rookie), and I haven't even noticed Dawson being in at all.

Brackett was Brackett, playing smart and making an impact where he's needed. I try to not like him but he makes it hard. Angerer had some noticeable plays but didn't set the world on fire. He's a good player. No other LB really stood out to me. Decent group but no real stars. I am not sure Wheeler is going to be the starter this year at SLB though.

Sanders had some good plays, played fast and had a good hit on Spiller. Mookie Johnson fell on him and Sanders was slow to get up, but I think he just got the wind knocked out of him. Hayden had good coverage at times, one play sticks out where he hung on the receivers hip and knocked the ball away. Bethea as well but his missed tackle on Spiller's TD run was ugly. I am happy with our secondary for sure. I want to mention Townshend, he was a great FA pickup and I'm glad he's on the team. He did well blitzing and in run support, weird to say for a corner but you can see the Pittsburgh toughness in his play, he is a great addition to the team and a fantastic CB4. There was a little too much cushioning which lead to some easy completions but I blame coaching for that. I want that crap to stop.

Special Teams

If this game is any indication, and for STs I think preseason is a fine indicator, Devon Moore will be our punt and kick returner. He was decisive, elusive, tough, and fast. He looked very good on punts and kickoffs. I thought it would be Brandon James but Moore just looked better in this game. He also didn't look too bad running the ball.

Punt and kick coverage looked... ok. Not a lot to say here.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like a typical pre season so far for the Colts. They play at GB next Thursday on espn right? Haven't seen any action yet this year.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Well dammit if my blood pressure isn't up. In 2 quarters the Colts have looked white hot one series and like undisplined crap the next. That goes for O and D.

i done stole dis sig
Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

That game was a disaster.

Where are you guys?

i done stole dis sig