Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-07-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
Who's gonna start at QB for Pitt?
Part of my point that they're not just going to run roughshod over the whole conference.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sunseri will start at QB.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
Who's gonna start at QB for Pitt?
RS Sophomore Tino Sunseri. He, by nearly all reports, outplayed Bill Stull last Spring and Wannstedt only started Stull because of his Sr. experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Do you Pitt fans really feel confident that you're going to roll through the Big East this year? I think you were a unanimous vote by the coaches to win the Big East but while you're good I can see you stumbling. The BE is always up for grabs so I think it'll be interesting this year.
I'll never be the guy that thinks any team can simply roll to a conference title. Pitt did receive all but 2 votes (1 Cincinnati and 1 West Virginia) but pre-season polls mean absolutely NOTHING.

Pitt's success will largely depend on a couple of things.

1. Tino Sunseri's big-play ability.
I'm confident he can "manage the game" but in order to achieve top-notch success he will have to make plays on his own at times. Will he? That will be seen, but he has the talent to do so.

2. Interior O-Line.
Big question mark at Center as Alex Karabin is a 5th year Senior without a career start. Jack Lippert is the heir-apparent at the position but he is only a RS Frosh who is a converted 4-Star DE.

3. Depth in the Secondary.
Pitt lost both starting CB's (Aaron Berry, Jovani Chappell) to graduation and an impressive SS (Elijah Fields) dismissed from the team. Antwaun Reed looks stellar as a CB but question marks surround the youth that will play along with him.

4. Was OC's Frank Cignetti's play-calling a fluke?
Cignetti was masterful last season in his first stint as Pitt's OC. He found gems in previously unknowns Dion Lewis and Dorin Dickerson. Is it a sign of things to come, or will he have a "sophomore slump?"

5. The "Wannstedt Factor"
Coach Dave Wannstedt has a history of getting very conservative at times. In my opinion, it was this conservative nature that cost Pitt in all of its losses last season. If he keeps his meddling in the offense limited, I see more success.

Overall, in my opinion, Pitt is the "paper champion" entering the season. They need to prove it on the field. Their running game (RB's Dion Lewis and Ray Graham, OL Jason Pinkston, Lucas Nix, Chris Jacobson and Greg Gaskins) should accumulate yards easily. The WR's (Baldwin, Mike Shanahan, Devin Street) should be able to make plays. The defensive front-7 may be one of the best in the entire country and I forsee alot of difficulty for opposing offenses.

If they play consistently and limit their mistakes there's little reason they shouldn't be confident entering every game they play this season.

Last edited by phlysac : 08-07-2010 at 03:51 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very good post. I agree that they are definitely favorites right now but as I said I can also see them having some trouble. If you had an experienced QB I probably wouldn't be saying this as it would be very difficult to try and stop Baldwin and Lewis when it came time. You're non-conference games should give us a very good like at what kind of team us fellow Big East fans will be looking at.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Very good post. I agree that they are definitely favorites right now but as I said I can also see them having some trouble. If you had an experienced QB I probably wouldn't be saying this as it would be very difficult to try and stop Baldwin and Lewis when it came time. You're non-conference games should give us a very good like at what kind of team us fellow Big East fans will be looking at.
And I can't boast about what the team looks like on paper until they prove to me they can consistently win the games they are supposed to (Bowling Green 2008, NC State/WVU 2009)
Old 08-07-2010, 05:29 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Pure Sexy...

Jabaal Sheard and Greg Romeus
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ns-usf-career/

USF WR Colby Erskin tore his ACL for the fourth time in his career and will not play again. It's the third time he tore his left ACL.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_footb...-campbell.html

Quote:
University of Connecticut junior defensive end Marcus Campbell (Bloomfield, Conn.) will miss the entire 2010 season after he torn an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in practice on Saturday.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR Tim Wright's out for season with a knee injury, which blows :(

damn injuries
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I think Harrison was better than him anyway. A lot of our true freshman might be getting some big roles on offense this year also like Deering.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-16-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
mario
Rookie

mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mario is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a UConn homer, nothing closer but is a pleasure to watch Jordan Todman, my fav RB...and that's saying something when 'Bama has Ingram and Richardson.

Twitter @mario_clp
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordan Todman is so skinny for a RB. He looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Jordan Todman is so skinny for a RB. He looks like an injury waiting to happen.
Mike Martin is ready to eat him.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I <33333 Jordan Todman.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm really not sure how Sanu didn't make the Biletnekoff watch list this year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5475260

Quote:
Connecticut has indefinitely suspended backup quarterback Cody Endres and guard Erik Kuraczea.

The school would only say that Endres, a junior, and Kuraczea, a sophomore, violated school policies.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Pitt's defense has reportedly destroyed their offense in both full scrimmages held recently.

Perhaps this is indicative of the dominance of the defense or the ineptitude of the offense. Pehaps it's a bit of both.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Pitt's defense has reportedly destroyed their offense in both full scrimmages held recently.

Perhaps this is indicative of the dominance of the defense or the ineptitude of the offense. Pehaps it's a bit of both.
pretty much the same exact thing for Rutgers haha.

but you guys do have Lewis, who's my rival mancrush.

we've got Sanu and Savage though! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
pretty much the same exact thing for Rutgers haha.

but you guys do have Lewis, who's my rival mancrush.

we've got Sanu and Savage though! <3
Supposedly OC Frank Cignetti has been using all 1-back 3-WR sets to see how the team performs from those formations. They are a 2-back team and the performances in scrimmages seem to validate that.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...or-the-season/

Quote:
Cornerback Ri'Shard Anderson suffered an injury to his shoulder during practice Wednesday and will miss the entire 2010 season. Surgery will be performed at an unspecified date to repair the damage.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Did anyone see that poll in ESPN magazine? The players were polled and the they picked Greg Schiano as the coach they'd least like to play for in the conference. I was pretty floored about that considering I've never really heard one player say anything bad about Schiano. I wonder what players they were polling.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Did anyone see that poll in ESPN magazine? The players were polled and the they picked Greg Schiano as the coach they'd least like to play for in the conference. I was pretty floored about that considering I've never really heard one player say anything bad about Schiano. I wonder what players they were polling.
I wish players would sack up and go on record with that stuff. It'd be much cooler. However, it's still cool to read about it.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah I agree. I'm really shocked about it. What's the perspective of Schiano from non Rutgers fans?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can that poll hurt recruiting?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I'm really shocked about it. What's the perspective of Schiano from non Rutgers fans?
My only thought is that he's tough and is building an exceptional program.