Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will be interesting to see how Greg Romeus participates in the full week of practice prior to the Utah game. As of now, Romeus has only practiced in full pads once (a two-a-day) and has been held out of contact because of back stiffness and spasms.

Hopefully it is just precautionary but that is yet to be seen.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's looking like Pitt will Redshirt all but 2 or 3 Freshmen this season.

Quote:
Pitt Football: Only one freshman on 2-deep

Wednesday, August 25, 2010
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Nearly all Pitt freshmen will redshirt this season to save a year's eligibility, but that does not mean there will not be a few who make an impact.

"I would expect we will have two, maybe three freshmen play this year," Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said.

The biggest reason is that 20 of the Panthers' 22 projected starters are in at least their third season at Pitt, and one of the two who is not -- sophomore tailback Dion Lewis -- is a Heisman Trophy candidate who rushed for nearly 1,800 yards last season.

The Panthers also have plenty of depth at many positions, which means there is little opportunity for a true freshman to get playing time.

If the number is two -- and, as of now, only cornerback K'Wuan Williams seems like a definite contributor -- it would be the fewest for a Wannstedt-coached Pitt team. Generally speaking, about four freshmen have played each season for Wannstedt. Williams, who has come out of nowhere to become one of the Panthers' top corners, likely will have freshman company on the two-deep depth chart by the time the season gets rolling because injuries can change team needs.

Williams was not recruited highly -- only Pitt offered him a scholarship -- because of his lack of height, but he has grown two inches since signing day and now stands 5 feet 10, a good height for a corner.

Beyond that, he was one of the most consistent players at preseason camp, regardless of class. He also has earned a spot on all special teams and might, in a pinch, return kicks.

"He'll be like a fourth or fifth corner," said Wannstedt, who also said two other possibilities to play are defensive tackle Aaron Donald and defensive end T.J. Clemmings.

While both seem ready to play, they line up at positions that are deeply stocked by veterans.

That means coaches would have to commit to using them enough to justify burning their redshirts, and that can be tricky.

Of the two, what to do with Donald, a Penn Hills High School graduate, shapes up as a tougher decision.

He has been dominant throughout preseason practices in nearly every situation against nearly anybody who lined up against him.

But Wannstedt is hesitant to commit to Donald because the Panthers have three veteran defensive tackles ready to play and a couple others who have played well enough to show they can be productive.

"Donald is a possibility, Clemmings is a possibility," Wannstedt said. "[Donald] is a playmaker, he is kind of a mini-Mick [Williams, who starred at defensive tackle last season]. We'll see, but [once a freshman plays] there is no turning back. You don't want to waste a year because, once you play a kid, now you are trying to force him into the lineup.

"That decision [on Donald] has not been made yet; he's getting reps, he is getting prepared to play, we'll see how it plays out."

One freshman who seemed to be a candidate to play this year before training camp is receiver Todd Thomas, but he has not progressed as fast as coaches had hoped and also plays a well-manned position.

Wannstedt said Thomas, from Beaver Falls, is not likely to play this year, but, as he has told all freshmen, he needs to be ready because that could change at any time.

"I don't think so because of the depth at receiver, and [he has] a little more learning [to do]," Wannstedt said. "But I've told our players -- so much they are probably sick of hearing me say this -- but I remember the story of Steve Slaton, [during his freshman year at West Virginia].

"He was the fourth-team running back in training camp and, by the end of the season, he was a Heisman Trophy candidate for the next year.

"Things do happen and things change."

One other freshman who seemed likely to play this year is defensive end Bryan Murphy, but he has a broken foot and is expected to be redshirted.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10237/1082404-233.stm
Old 09-01-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
Kwilk did you see IMAC is going to be wearing #5? I kind of wish they retired his number since he was probably the greatest WVU player ever but I think it would be cool if they kinda made that the famous number for special players now. Hopefully he can do the number proud like Pat did.
I'm fine with Ivan wearing #5, though I'm not a huge fan of teams retiring numbers in general so that might be why. I prefer the Ring of Honor idea better, where those numbers are still available but the player is still honored in some way.

It goes without saying, but I'm really looking forward to this season and what this team can accomplish. WVU is returning a lot of quality players, and I think Geno has the make-up of a good quarterback. This is probably the most excited I've been in quite a while about the receivers.

Defensively, I can't wait to see Sands flying around making plays in the secondary and JT causing havoc up front. I feel pretty good about the defensive line, but I feel like every year the pass rush is kind of inconsistent. Hopefully Scooter and Julian Miller are ready for a big year.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rutgers opener tomorrow night!!!!! Can't wait to get home from work and go straight there.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Pitt isn't going anywhere without a QB.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Tino Sunseri doesn't get it together soon, the Big East is wide open.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that's why I was questioning Pitt. Everyone handed them the Big East without a QB.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Sunseri is taking WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much blame. Sure, he was far from incredible but to have a LEGIT chance at victory at Utah on opening night isn't anything to frown at.

My biggest complaint, besides the obvious discipline mistakes, was what I call the "Stache Factor". Pitt didn't throw the ball on 1st down until the final 7+ minutes of the game. The play-calling was PAINFULLY predictable and Utah was able to stack the box against a new interior. The offense really started to move the ball once Frank Cignetti was allowed to open it up.

It's terribly unfortunate that Sunseri's final pass determined the outcome but I was quite satisfied with what I had seen from him (when given the opportunity) up to that point.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overall, I was rather pleased with what West Virginia did today. I'll have to go back and rewatch the game, as I was watching from the end zone and didn't have a great view of things. Defense was pretty good; Hogan and Sands stood out. Would like to see more of a pass rush. Offense was hot and cold. I think the OL has some work to do. Geno looked solid for his first start, Devine was Devine but needs to protect the ball a bit better. Hopefully we see a bit more downfield passing as the season progresses. That strike to Will Johnson was a thing of beauty, but I'm not sure I remember another big throw through the air.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Well the Big East is going to take some hits based on the first week. Very unimpressive all around.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Overall, I was rather pleased with what West Virginia did today. I'll have to go back and rewatch the game, as I was watching from the end zone and didn't have a great view of things. Defense was pretty good; Hogan and Sands stood out. Would like to see more of a pass rush. Offense was hot and cold. I think the OL has some work to do. Geno looked solid for his first start, Devine was Devine but needs to protect the ball a bit better. Hopefully we see a bit more downfield passing as the season progresses. That strike to Will Johnson was a thing of beauty, but I'm not sure I remember another big throw through the air.
i think once mccartney gets playing time geno will go downfield more

he was open once downfield but geno threw it too long; on the next play he was open, but he hit jock for a td

it is nice to have jock, austin, and devine as your checkdowns though

devine is pretty surehanded; not sure what the problem was

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The days pass by and my odds for Rutgers winning the BE grow.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

I do agree Sunseri is taking too much blame but the playcalling does have to do with your personnel. It went to show that the coaching staff wasn't very comfortable with Sunseri going through the air until they desperately needed him to. That's what I got out of it. The pick at the end just solidified that. What an awful throw.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I do agree Sunseri is taking too much blame but the playcalling does have to do with your personnel. It went to show that the coaching staff wasn't very comfortable with Sunseri going through the air until they desperately needed him to. That's what I got out of it. The pick at the end just solidified that. What an awful throw.
Perhaps a bit, but The Stache has historically been ultra conservative. He did it last year even when Stull was having a tremendous season.

And its not just the playcalling but the creativity of it. It's one thing to only call 2 or 3 different run plays but to only throw the ball once on 1st down in the first 50 minutes of the game (the 1st play of the game) doesn't make sense. Feel free to keep the throws manageable but switch it up a bit.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

WVU cornerback Brandon Hogan charged with a DUI...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...e=NCFHeadlines
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
WVU cornerback Brandon Hogan charged with a DUI...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...e=NCFHeadlines
AKA hes outta here. Can't say I'm surprised but this is going to be a big loss as he was our best CB and arguably the best in the conference.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I speak for all of us when I say: our whole conference kinda looks like ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yes Scotty. I'm very upset at some of the things we had to endure on Saturday. Rutgers will be terrible if a lot of stuff doesn't change in the next 2 weeks.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
AKA hes outta here. Can't say I'm surprised but this is going to be a big loss as he was our best CB and arguably the best in the conference.
According to Stewart, Hogan will be suspended indefinitely but will rejoin the team "whem I deem fit."

Brodrick Jenkins, Pat Miller and Brantwon Bowser will compete to replace Hogan in the starting line-up at cornerback. Tavon Austin and J.D. Woods look to be the front-runners to replace BH on return duties.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

$ Scout

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...2f1002503.html

Former Michigan DE/Guido Anthony LaLota is transferring to Rutgers.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

The last 4 star Michigan recruit that transferred from Michigan to Rutgers quit on us. Hopefully Lalota won't do the same. What was the word on him at Michigan Sniper?

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Giantsfan1080 : 09-15-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:25 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
The last 4 star Michigan recruit that transferred from Michigan to Rutgers quit on us. Hopefully Lalota won't do the same. What was the word on him at Michigan Sniper?
Well, he's supposedly very raw. He couldn't crack the two-deep and was behind a true freshman, a walk-on (although the walk-on tore his ACL in spring practice and is out for the year, so LaLota was obviously behind him before the injury), and a slew of other no-namers. He'd be a good fit in a 3-4, though. Don't expect him to contribute for another year after the transfer.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

I don't think Hogan will be kicked off the team but he will miss some time for sure.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I've read OL might be in his future.

sig by BoneKrusher