Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
The Chiefs aren't winning the AFC West and are likely not making the playoffs this year anyway, so I'll take 7-9, which is a 5 game improvement, if it means we get to keep our 2nd round pick.

Anyone who thinks the Chiefs are winning 9+ games is out of their mind.

Watching the douchey 49er fans whine about not getting a 2nd would be very hard to pass up too.
Hey you never know. A lot of people thought that about the 49ers and their new head coach in 2011. It's not like the AFC is stacked either. Tom Brady almost suffered a brutal injury today. You never know.

Well I guess it doesn't matter then. And I'm sure you won't be complaining about the Chiefs if they perform poorly this year since you expect them to already be in the toilet. Are you going to even watch any games with the slightest bit of optimism that the team you're supposed to be a fan of will succeed this year?

You'd rather see your team fail to see 49ers fans whine about not getting a second round pick. Man that's gold. Would Chiefs fans really get the last laugh in that scenario anyways? I mean I think the apex of it all is what the Chiefs pulled the trigger on that ridiculous trade in the first place.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 08-15-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Chiefs aren't winning the AFC West and are likely not making the playoffs this year anyway, so I'll take 7-9, which is a 5 game improvement, if it means we get to keep our 2nd round pick.

Watching the douchey 49er fans whine about not getting a 2nd would be very hard to pass up too.
this is what people thought about the colts last year.

chiefs might as well be a different team than last year
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings4ever View Post
I had to get an appendectomy a few years ago too.
Before I got to ER, it was the worst pain I've ever felt.

He'll be back in a month or so no problem.

Quote:

I definitely respect that.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A few years ago many fans said "you can't pass up Suh even for a franchise QB!". Suh has been very good, but he isn't a franchise changer in the NFL. The same will likely be true of Clowney. It's great to have an elite defensive player, but they don't have the effect of a franchise QB. Also, a QB is more likely to play at a high level for a decade or more than a defensive player.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

Pot ... kettle ... blah blah blah.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pot ... kettle ... blah blah blah.
Damn I was literally about to post the same thing LOL.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Damn I was literally about to post the same thing LOL.
Well, you know, that would be the douchey thing to do.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Well, you know, that would be the douchey thing to do.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings4ever View Post
Michael Roos had to have one in the middle of last season, it's the only game he's missed in his career. He was back the next week though, they'll take precaution with Felton because of it being preseason, but it's nothing serious.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I had to get an appendectomy a few years ago too.
Before I got to ER, it was the worst pain I've ever felt.
Kidney stones here, mostly because It kept causing me to throw up so I couldn't keep even water down so I was extremely dehydrated which then led to extreme back spasms. I probably should have went to the hospital and gotten an IV but didn't.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-tear-an-acl/

Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles’ bad run of serious knee injuries continues.

Phillip Hunt, a third-year backup who is transitioning from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker, has suffered a torn ACL. Hunt had successful ACL surgery today, Adam Caplan of SiriusXM Radio reports.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
A few years ago many fans said "you can't pass up Suh even for a franchise QB!". Suh has been very good, but he isn't a franchise changer in the NFL. The same will likely be true of Clowney. It's great to have an elite defensive player, but they don't have the effect of a franchise QB. Also, a QB is more likely to play at a high level for a decade or more than a defensive player.
Clowney could be a 15 sack per year guy, not sure anyone predicted that for Suh.

I'm all for the franchise QB but you have to take into consideration how the players in question grade out.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Clowney could be a 15 sack per year guy, not sure anyone predicted that for Suh.

I'm all for the franchise QB but you have to take into consideration how the players in question grade out.
Is Clowney really anymore impressive than either Julius Peppers or Mario Williams coming out? And honestly I cannot see Clowney being a more dominant player than Watt was last year.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Is Clowney really anymore impressive than either Julius Peppers or Mario Williams coming out? And honestly I cannot see Clowney being a more dominant player than Watt was last year.
I'm old enough to remember the impact a Lawrence Taylor could have so i guess i'm partial to that type of player. Not totally against wanting a QB but he'd have to be better than Teddy Bridgewater for me.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The QB would have to be a real sure thing for me to want to pass on Clowney. I'm not sure Bridgewater is that good of a prospect yet.

I expect Clowney to be a Watt level impact player. Not matching Watt last year all the time, but Clowney should be a huge factor.

There are a lot of 1 round QBs who don't pan out. In 2011, Locker, Gabbert, & Ponder all were surrounding Watt and I'm sure all of those teams would rather have Watt if they could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Twitter Mingo in the hospital with a bruised lung

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barkevious Mingo suffers bruised lung, Dion Lewis sustains broken fibula in Browns' win ..... Roddy White left with an ankle.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
The QB would have to be a real sure thing for me to want to pass on Clowney. I'm not sure Bridgewater is that good of a prospect yet.

I expect Clowney to be a Watt level impact player. Not matching Watt last year all the time, but Clowney should be a huge factor.

There are a lot of 1 round QBs who don't pan out. In 2011, Locker, Gabbert, & Ponder all were surrounding Watt and I'm sure all of those teams would rather have Watt if they could.
There's no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL Draft. There are a lot of D-lineman who don't pan out. Teams that wait for a sure fire QB to fall in their lap usually end up waiting a long, long time.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There's no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL Draft. There are a lot of D-lineman who don't pan out. Teams that wait for a sure fire QB to fall in their lap usually end up waiting a long, long time.
Agree.
If you don't have a QB, I just don't see how you can pass on one for a DE.
Even if it is Clowney, he is still just a DE.
In a draft like this? Sure. But in this upcoming draft, if you have no QB and Bridgewater continues his rise, how do you pass on him for a DE?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But taking a quarterback just to take a quarterback isn't a much better option.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I've never heard of a team taking a QB just to take a QB.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've never heard of a team taking a QB just to take a QB.
Then you haven't been paying attention. Weeden's probably the most recent example. You see people on this very forum propagating the strategy. A team decides it needs a quarterback, and come draft day ends up reaching to acquire one, just because they're a quarterback. Which often doesn't end well. There's a reason why quarterbacks move up because of "positional value".

Sig by Matthew Jones

Last edited by Cigaro : 08-16-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Quote:
Then you haven't been paying attention. Weeden's probably the most recent example. You see people in this very thread propagating the strategy. A team decides it needs a quarterback, and come draft day ends up reaching to acquire one, just because they're a quarterback. Which often doesn't end well. There's a reason why quarterbacks move up because of "positional value".
The Browns took a QB because they needed a QB. That whole "positional value" thing is kind of backed up by the realities of the NFL. What do you think is the main reason Clowney will be a highly valued prospect? Could it be his ability to rush the QB?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cam Newton was a "reach" for the Panthers. I'm sure you're not dissappointed that they didn't pick AJ Green or Von Miller, who are both Top 3 in the NFL at their respective position.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Cam Newton was a "reach" for the Panthers. I'm sure you're not dissappointed that they didn't pick AJ Green or Von Miller, who are both Top 3 in the NFL at their respective position.
It's never black & white, that easy.
The Raiders could have had Calvin or Adrian, but went with the QB JaMarcus.
Many of us did question it at the time, but others were raving about Russell's "physical wows" at that particular time.