Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Who was/is YOUR favorite Packers WR in the modern era
James Lofton (almost modern) 1 4.35%
Sterling Sharpe 14 60.87%
Robert Brooks 1 4.35%
Antonio Freeman 1 4.35%
Donald Driver 4 17.39%
Greg Jennings 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best Packer WR ever

(in the modern era, not back in the 30's & 40's with Donald Hutson)

Which was the best individual season for a Packer WR?
Take into account # catches, yards, TDs, avg per catch, and Wins-Losses that year.

(Sterling had so many great years, I am leaving out his 18-TD season because he only had 1100 yards and averaged just 11 a catch, TE numbers)

BEST SEASONS

Sterling Sharpe, 1992
108 catches
1461 yards
13.5 avg
13 TDs

Javon Walker, 2004
89 catches
1382 yards
15.5 avg
12 TDs

Robert Brooks, 1995
102 catches
1497 yards
14.7 avg
13 TDs

Antonio Freeman, 1998
84 catches
1424 yards
17.0 avg
14 TDs

Donald Driver, 2006
92 catches
1295 yards
14.1 avg
8 TDs

My point is, while I love Driver and he's really my favorite player on this team, I still am positive Sterling Sharpe was our best WR ever, and I think Robert Brooks was as good as Driver, better actually, but he just didn't last because he ripped his ACL early in 1996 dammit.

James Lofton has 3 of our best 9 seasons ever- as far as yardage receiving goes. He didn't catch as many balls (different era), but he caught a lot of deep balls, big plays.

Also, Greg Jennings really hasn't blown-up yet like I think he is capable of. But we have so much balance now so it might never happen. Same with Driver. He's had super longevity, and consistent good-greatness, but never any monster individual seasons.

Give it up for Don Hutson in 1942 though. 17 TDs in 11 games and 110 yards per game.
And Billy Howton in 1952, 17 TDs and 102.6 yards per game, in 12 games.

Last thing I see that stands out, Keith Jackson the TE in 1996 with 10 TDs.
Can J-Mike lead us to a Super Bowl with 10 TDs this year like that?

Have a look deeper if you'd like. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...-receiving.htm
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Jim Jim
Veteran

Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.Jim Jim is a cocksman.

I'm a little upset Taco Wallace wasn't on the poll, but meh, I went with Sterling.
Jim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is the Jordy Nelson option?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Despite your preface, Don Hutson fail.

Sterling Sharpe, though. Easily.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Pacific
Rookie

Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.

I think the best receiver we've had in the modern era is definitely Sharpe. The poll says favorite though, and though I hate to admit it, at his peak Javon Walker was my favorite of the WR listed above. I thought he was gonna be huge for us for years to come.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
I think the best receiver we've had in the modern era is definitely Sharpe. The poll says favorite though, and though I hate to admit it, at his peak Javon Walker was my favorite of the WR listed above. I thought he was gonna be huge for us for years to come.
Wow, I have to tip my cap to you for admitting that, it shows a solid pair of ballz right there to say him.

Me personally, John Jefferson would be on the list somewhere. Anyone here remember him?

I know most y'all are way too young.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate for Donald Driver.

True, he never had the monster season(s) that James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe or Javon Walker had. And he never was a TD machine and wasn't a 100+ reception a year guy. But, that wasn't his style. Driver really brought something unique to the team as a fearless speedster that went over the middle and always came through in the clutch. for the better part of a decade, we had a top tier WR that did it all for us. and, never caused problems as most top tier WRs do. And he kinda had reason to...The Packers spent most of Driver's carreer trying to replace him as the #1 WR. Terry Glenn, Javon Walker, Greg Jennings. But DD always came through.

Also, I'm too lazy to look up YAC stats...but, I'd be curious to know how Driver compares to the above mentioned WRs in that category, because the dude is a master. Watching him make that half jump backwards right after catching a pass and watching a defender fly right by him never gets old.

And, longevity has to count for something. Especially since Walker and Lofton left the team under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Also, as I've been alluding too....Sharpe, Lofton and Walker are all douchebags. Driver is as awesome off the field as he is on it. Not that that counts for anything in this topic...but, just saying.

Also, for the record....it's totally Don Hutson. :)
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:05 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
Also, as I've been alluding too....Sharpe, Lofton and Walker are all douchebags. Driver is as awesome off the field as he is on it. Not that that counts for anything in this topic...but, just saying.
Sure it counts for something. It counts for a lot. The question is for your favorite, not the best. That can certainly come into play.

The part of Hutson is interesting for 2 reasons.
Number one, none of us are old enough to have watched him. Just clips.
Number two, as is the case with Jim Brown-detractors, they played in an era before the black man was really into the league, which means it wasn't against the same top-notch competition as the modern era.

And if someone wants to play the PC card and say that doesn't matter, save it until you can explain why Craig James is significant to the NFL.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don Hutson was probably the best WR the Packers had. He really revolutionalized the WR position during his time and just had ridiculous numbers for a WR in that day and age...but since I never saw him, I'll go with the guy I do remember, and thats Sterling Sharpe

What makes me sad is that he'll probably never make the NFL Hall of Fame, and its only because his career was shortened due to injury. Go back and look at the numbers from 88-94, he was right on pare with Jerry Rice back in those days for top WR in the NFL. Guy was the total package. Just had incredible hands and was a bulldozer and damn near impossible to tackle. He was also a prick like most top WR's, but the guy could damn well play. I've read stories and I know about his holdout etc...but it still makes me sad that he wasn't on the 96 roster for the the SB. Packers just haven't had a WR like this since. Jennings, DRiver, Freeman all have been good, and in Jennings case, he is still in his prime and hopefully etches his name into the Packers history books, but for now, Sharpe was the best WR the Packers have had that I've seen

Driver, of course, is the classiest of the bunch, and is easily one of my top 5 Packers of all time. He had an uphill battle to climb the moment he was drafted, and all he's done is work his ass off and become a damn good WR who, even at his current age, is still a physical freak. The guy is easy to look up to and has meant a lot to the team and to the community. Definitely "packer people".

So, uh, in short, Sharpe was the best I've ever seen, Hutson is probably the best in franchise history because of what he meant to the WR position in his day, and Driver is easily my favorite of the bunch because of his road to success and his character off the field.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously Don Hutson, but he's not an option, so I'll go with Sharpe. Lots of solid guys on that list. I wanted to go Driver, just cause the guys one of my all time favourite players, but realistically Sharpe is probably better overall.

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sterling Sharpe; He could have been in the HOF, if he hadn't been injuried
Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The poll said "favorite," not best. Lofton was great, but a lot of his most impactful work was with the Bills. Sterling Sharpe was one of the best I'd ever seen, up until I saw his final game in TB live. If he'd stayed healthy, not only would he have gone head-up with Rice's records, but Favre likely would have been better in the playoffs and would have had the great WR that Manning or Montana had, with similar results.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sharpe by a mile. If he would stayed healthy, I truly believe he could have had 100+ catches every year until the late 90s.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Yeah you guys are right that Sterling was simply sensational, and I remember arguing with Bobby Kemp on the radio back in about 1993 about Sharpe being better than Rice, and he really didn't disagree much.

But 'favorite', meaning the one that I loved the most? That was this guy, who I think was Donald Driver, Version 1. He, like Sharpe, just got hurt. But he was faster than Donald, very gutsy little guy. I love the Lambeau Leap he does here... in the Metrodome!