Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Buffalo Bills Team Forum

Buffalo Bills Team Forum Discuss the Bills

Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'm sorry, but I see no sign that Ralph has a commitment to winning, he may fantasize about it, but he just won't spend the money to make Buffalo a winner again. That is the bottom line.
I can clearly understand any scheptism with Ralph. Im not sure if he is all in with regards to winning. I do think he is making a commitment towards winning in letting Nix (an actual personnel man) run the show. Money is clearly an issue, to what degree I dont know, I dont have access to his books. I would love to see him spend money on players who are worth keeping around (Winfield for example) and fit what they are doing on the field, instead of his "loyal soldiers" (I.E. Kelsey). Winning changes everything, hopefully if Ralph is still around when it happens he opens up the wallet, he has done it in the past, he did spend to keep Bruce, Thurman, Kelly, Reed and Co. around util they were no longer worth what they were asking for in certain situations.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
I can clearly understand any scheptism with Ralph. Im not sure if he is all in with regards to winning. I do think he is making a commitment towards winning in letting Nix (an actual personnel man) run the show. Money is clearly an issue, to what degree I dont know, I dont have access to his books. I would love to see him spend money on players who are worth keeping around (Winfield for example) and fit what they are doing on the field, instead of his "loyal soldiers" (I.E. Kelsey). Winning changes everything, hopefully if Ralph is still around when it happens he opens up the wallet, he has done it in the past, he did spend to keep Bruce, Thurman, Kelly, Reed and Co. around util they were no longer worth what they were asking for in certain situations.
Unfortunately, FA and cap limits didn't exist during the Bills heyday under Kelly, etc. He could keep them on his roster for a pittance of what it would cost today. Thankfully, he is in his 90's and a new owner will be in place not too long in the future.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Unfortunately, FA and cap limits didn't exist during the Bills heyday under Kelly, etc. He could keep them on his roster for a pittance of what it would cost today. Thankfully, he is in his 90's and a new owner will be in place not too long in the future.
While true, the old "10%" system, or what ever it was called, and Plan B free agency cost the Bills in the personnel department when those systems ended and FA started, but remember, Thurman Thomas was the highest paid back in the league until E. Smith was given a better contract by something like $50,000-$100,000, and When Jimbo finally came aboard he was given the richest contract in the league at the time in 1986, although it was only for something like 1.5 million per year, at the time that was serious coin. Ralph spends the money when he believes in doing so, he even gave Rob Johnson a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. Maybe a pittance in comparison to today, but in reality Ralph has spent in the past, and when he did it was not cheaply.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poz51 View Post
While true, the old "10%" system, or what ever it was called, and Plan B free agency cost the Bills in the personnel department when those systems ended and FA started, but remember, Thurman Thomas was the highest paid back in the league until E. Smith was given a better contract by something like $50,000-$100,000, and When Jimbo finally came aboard he was given the richest contract in the league at the time in 1986, although it was only for something like 1.5 million per year, at the time that was serious coin. Ralph spends the money when he believes in doing so, he even gave Rob Johnson a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. Maybe a pittance in comparison to today, but in reality Ralph has spent in the past, and when he did it was not cheaply.
We have to face it, there is a huge difference between what he was forced to pay Kelly and the 14-20 million, a top QB gets today. Ditto, for other positions.
I'd bet you that Ralph was taking home 4 x the profit he currently makes from his team, maybe even more. That is clearly why, we haven't done very well since FA and the cap came into existence.