Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Without Jackson, their core goes from near elite to mediocre, as he was a large reason for Floyd's production last season when he began to command double teams.
That's not entirely true since Floyd didn't get into the starting lineup until Chambers was released. It's actually Gates who benefited from Jackson's double team and vice versa.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
Actually McNeill's replacement, Brandyn Dombrowski, has looked pretty good so far. He's actually a better run blocker than McNeill at this time, and has looked good in pass protection. The latter is the biggest concern, but he's done alright going up against Peppers and Ware. The biggest issue is depth at now at that tackle position with Tra retiring so if we have injuries like we did last year on the oline, then it's going to be bad.
Dombrowski had been injured too for a while I thought. They had 3rd string guards filling in at LT for a bit in camp iirc.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Congrats AJ Smith, you won another pissing contest. Your team is gonna suck. I hate this guy so much.
Dude, VJ and his agent wants 30 million guaranteed. Even Seattle balk at that offer.

Oh and on a sidenote, Jackson's agent is the same as Revis's.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Dombrowski had been injured too for a while I thought. They had 3rd string guards filling in at LT for a bit in camp iirc.
No. Domb has the usual nicks and wear of training camp, but no serious injury. With the way things are, Tyronne Green (the third string guard that you mentioned) is the one who has been filling in at every position on the line. In fact, a lot of the depth players are moving around. Domb's primary position is left tackle, but he has also slided over to RT and allowed Green duties at left tackle as well just to get experience there.

I'm actually high on Green as well. The guy has such long arms that he can play the left tackle position despite his smaller stature. He's actually the reason why Tra Thomas decided to retire.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dude, VJ and his agent wants 30 million guaranteed. Even Seattle balk at that offer.

Oh and on a sidenote, Jackson's agent is the same as Revis's.
Regardless...AJ is a huge douche and extremely difficult to work with.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Honestly, I don't know how we will do this year if both VJ and McNeill are gone. VJ's lost could be offset by having Matthews there and running the ball more effectively unlike last year with LT. Additionally, we'll probably involve more of the other tight ends not named Gates, specifically McMichael. I just feel that if Brees can survive without a true number 1 at wideout, that Rivers will be okay as well since he loves to spread the ball around a lot as well.

Of course, it could turn out to be like the Merriman situation 2008 all over again for us. I just think we're slightly more prepared this time. But who knows.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Regardless...AJ is a huge douche and extremely difficult to work with.
He comes off douchey but it still doesn't change the fact that he's extremely successful at what he does just like the other good GMs in other franchises like the Colts, Patriots, and the Steelers. AJ just has the same problems that every good GM in the league is going to run into with contract negotiations when dealing with certain players. Most of the time, around 95%, I would wager, everything goes smooth, but you're going to run into difficulty now and then.

And I would wager that Rivers and Gates would differ with you on AJ being difficult to work with. Gates, in particular, learned his lesson from 2005 and found the right way to get a contract extension with the team. Unfortunately, VJ and McNeill didn't follow suit.

Last edited by Xenos : 08-22-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't think Jackson is going to be all that missed. You were going to be without him the first 3 games regardless, and I think with an elite QB, you'll be fine with Gates, Floyd and Naane. Plus more effort to run the ball wouldn't hurt.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know how we will do this year if both VJ and McNeill are gone. VJ's lost could be offset by having Matthews there and running the ball more effectively unlike last year with LT. Additionally, we'll probably involve more of the other tight ends not named Gates, specifically McMichael. I just feel that if Brees can survive without a true number 1 at wideout, that Rivers will be okay as well since he loves to spread the ball around a lot as well.

Of course, it could turn out to be like the Merriman situation 2008 all over again for us. I just think we're slightly more prepared this time. But who knows.
The Saints offensive line is much much better than the Chargers, although I do agree that the run game can be more effective without McNeil because he is a lousy run blocker.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh! This is the part of pro sports that makes me wish I liked College better. It's absolute ********, I understand that fact that these players money-making careers are only so long and they are trying to lock up their lives and their families lives with these contracts but in the end they are screwing themselves over. Sitting out half a season of a possibly only 10-year career could be the difference between being set for life and getting screwed over any way and I just don't understand why Jackson (because it seems that McNeil will sign) would put an entire season of his career in jeopardy like this and possibly screw over a team that had Super Bowl aspirations. This kind of ******** is what will **** a teams chemistry and completely screw over any chance the Chargers have because even if McNeil signs and they lose Jackson I can't see them pulling together the same way as say the Giants with Strahan did when they made a run....this kind of super star ******** (and don't get me started on ******* Darrelle Revis) will always piss me off.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
The Saints offensive line is much much better than the Chargers, although I do agree that the run game can be more effective without McNeil because he is a lousy run blocker.
With the exception of one second rounder on the line, I think the Saints lines were all low round pick as well similar to the Chargers. I'm saying they're not talented, but I think you can't knock out down just because of an aging running back last year. Especially when our oline had so many injuries last year. We never had a consistent oline compared to the Saints. Someone would get injured and have to be replaced. And just when the line starts to gel, another injury happens and ruins the chemistry again.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evans and Nicks is probably the best guard tandem in the league, both are top 5 IMO.

How is Colston not a true number 1 receiver BTW? I hear that a lot around here.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post

How is Colston not a true number 1 receiver BTW? I hear that a lot around here.
It's the ears.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I still don't think Jackson is going to be all that missed. You were going to be without him the first 3 games regardless, and I think with an elite QB, you'll be fine with Gates, Floyd and Naane. Plus more effort to run the ball wouldn't hurt.
Agreed.

He will me missed but not greatly that said they need to lock up McNeill ASAP, I agree with Brodeur that his play has dropped off but he is still their best LT and they have no depth.

Last edited by Splat : 08-22-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not too worried about the Charger offense because they've been shuffling players in and out every season since 2004, but have still remained in the top 5 in scoring every year. Rivers' passing numbers may decline a bit, but you take that if the running game is more efficient.

Defense is what I'm worried about. There are holes in the secondary and our pass-rushing OLB's need to pass rush.

Remember A.J. Smith comes from the Bill Polian school of GM's. Indy is very careful with their money, paying only the true franchise cornerstones, and trusting their scouting and player development above anything else. He definitely has the reputation of a hard-ass but he is really no different from Polian.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
He definitely has the reputation of a hard-ass but he is really no different from Polian.
But he is different. I've never heard of Smith shoving staff members from opposing teams up against the wall or pumping in crowd noise or pushing for rule changes to directly benefit his own team ;)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But he is different. I've never heard of Smith shoving staff members from opposing teams up against the wall or pumping in crowd noise or pushing for rule changes to directly benefit his own team ;)
Okay, they're both hard-asses, heh.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all the hooplah of the Chargers this season, I almost entirely forgot about Darren Sproles for some reason.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He comes off douchey but it still doesn't change the fact that he's extremely successful at what he does just like the other good GMs in other franchises like the Colts, Patriots, and the Steelers. AJ just has the same problems that every good GM in the league is going to run into with contract negotiations when dealing with certain players. Most of the time, around 95%, I would wager, everything goes smooth, but you're going to run into difficulty now and then.

And I would wager that Rivers and Gates would differ with you on AJ being difficult to work with. Gates, in particular, learned his lesson from 2005 and found the right way to get a contract extension with the team. Unfortunately, VJ and McNeill didn't follow suit.
How successful has he really been, though? He has yet to get a team to the Super Bowl, much less win it. I'm not saying he isn't a good GM but I think people consider him amongst the elite, which I really don't feel like he is.

They've made fairly deep runs in the playoffs and won the division consistently but in a pretty bad/mediocre division for quite some time now.

I just think he's ass, personally. An ass who's good at his job, but lets his personal feelings and ego get in the way of doing that job. That's just my opinion though, and I could be completely off base.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:40 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
Ugh! This is the part of pro sports that makes me wish I liked College better. It's absolute ********, I understand that fact that these players money-making careers are only so long and they are trying to lock up their lives and their families lives with these contracts but in the end they are screwing themselves over. Sitting out half a season of a possibly only 10-year career could be the difference between being set for life and getting screwed over any way and I just don't understand why Jackson (because it seems that McNeil will sign) would put an entire season of his career in jeopardy like this and possibly screw over a team that had Super Bowl aspirations. This kind of ******** is what will **** a teams chemistry and completely screw over any chance the Chargers have because even if McNeil signs and they lose Jackson I can't see them pulling together the same way as say the Giants with Strahan did when they made a run....this kind of super star ******** (and don't get me started on ******* Darrelle Revis) will always piss me off.
Because if the CBA problem was fixed they would be FA's so it is basically time for them to get the big money, waiting is over.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Buster Davis will get a chance to see the field this year, hopefully he finally has a break out season? lol it'd be nice to see it happen though.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No offense, but McNeill isn't good enough for a long term deal and Jackson is a huge risk (he could be gone for the year easily). The Chargers are screwing this up but they were smart to stay away from giving either a big guaranteed deal.

AJ is still an idiot though, because he's f***ing the Patriots hopes for a top 5 pick from the Raiders :(

edit: In contrast, Mankins is an elite (or at least very good) Guard and isn't a problem off the field. He just wants more than he's worth. All 3 should be FAs though. [I wish the Patriots would just trade Mankins for a 1st or 2nd round pick]

Last edited by descendency : 08-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.
descendency is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In AJ We Trust.

He's a smart man and a draft guru, I'll let him work his magic on this.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
edit: In contrast, Mankins is an elite (or at least very good) Guard and isn't a problem off the field. He just wants more than he's worth. All 3 should be FAs though. [I wish the Patriots would just trade Mankins for a 1st or 2nd round pick]
If I were the GM of the Bears I'd hand over our first for Mankins. Honestly, Mankins at LG and only playing 4 lineman would be better than what we currently have with Garza and Lance Louis starting. I don't even think I'm exaggerating all that much either.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency;2266891[b
]No offense, but McNeill isn't good enough for a long term deal[/b] and Jackson is a huge risk (he could be gone for the year easily). The Chargers are screwing this up but they were smart to stay away from giving either a big guaranteed deal.

AJ is still an idiot though, because he's f***ing the Patriots hopes for a top 5 pick from the Raiders :(

That's the big kicker here. McNeil had a lights out rookie season but has steadily regressed since. Why give a long-term deal (that's probably going to put him in the top 5 highest paid tackles in the league) to a player that has been getting worse every year?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote