Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
In Civ, much like most other RTS's, you will pretty much ALWAYS fall behind the computer. Just keep plugging away and don't worry about it.
Civ isn't an RTS, btw. Turn-based strategy.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Civ isn't an RTS, btw. Turn-based strategy.
I never said it was an RTS.

I've been playing computer games for a long ass time, I know what genres are.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I never said it was an RTS.

I've been playing computer games for a long ass time, I know what genres are.
Yet you are comparing it to RTS'.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-_- The Civ series is a turn-based 4x game. It's one of the premiere 4x games. .

So technically you both are wrong :D (4x = explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

It is a turn based game. Beyond that, you could sub-classify it's genre as a 4x game.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

\o/ Or it's a 4x that happens to be turn-based O_o

:D I'm just messing with you Forenci.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
-_- The Civ series is a turn-based 4x game. It's one of the premiere 4x games. .

So technically you both are wrong :D (4x = explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate)

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh god, the PC gaming thread has turned into a pissing match...

See y'all in 6 months.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
\o/ Or it's a 4x that happens to be turn-based O_o

:D I'm just messing with you Forenci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'm so glad watching Doctor Who has enabled me to understand this.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
The biggest thing is keeping an army above the average. If you keep an army above the average, the chances that the nearest AI declares on you is so much less. If you have one of the lowest amounts of soldiers, the computer will almost always declare on you no matter how friendly you are. Best way to check this is by going to the Demographics screen and looking at the Soldiers row.

What difficulty are you playing on? Also, try to only build the wonders that apply to the type of victory/playstyle that you need. For instance, there's no need to build Petra if you only have four desert tiles, even though it's available for you to build.
I'm playing on '2', which I guess is below average. I haven't really thought about what victories to go for, but I figure that the boring ones like diplomacy should be easier to attain.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nah, those are the harder ones, actually.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tend to always have a smaller army in favor of building wonders and it does always result in me being attacked. Because I always build lots of settlers early and spread out I then focus all my resources on building an army and just go on a war path, killing everybody. I love crushing people to the point that they offer me **** to stop which I do until the moment I can attack again and the potentially do it all over again, getting money and resources. I suggest you check out the Song of Ice and Fire mod. Really love that setup.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Clearly many of us have Civ 5 and need to play it together.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I tend to always have a smaller army in favor of building wonders and it does always result in me being attacked. Because I always build lots of settlers early and spread out I then focus all my resources on building an army and just go on a war path, killing everybody. I love crushing people to the point that they offer me **** to stop which I do until the moment I can attack again and the potentially do it all over again, getting money and resources. I suggest you check out the Song of Ice and Fire mod. Really love that setup.
This is what I do too. I expand aggressively, building settlers nonstop and workers to a much lesser degree. When I finally get annoyed with one or two other civilizations getting in the way of my expansion, I quickly steamroll them, assimilate their cities and continue to expand aggressively until I get big enough that I can flip the switch to military manufacturing and churn out a dozen high level attack units every 6 turns.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Nah, those are the harder ones, actually.
Yeah. The soft-skill victories take a lot of skill and finesse. The easiest is probably conquering followed hy space race or culture.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boy I'm glad I downloaded everything for Day Z! That whole "we'll probably be on during the day" thing sure worked out you bunch of jerks.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Boy I'm glad I downloaded everything for Day Z! That whole "we'll probably be on during the day" thing sure worked out you bunch of jerks.
I quit PC gaming for 6 months because it turned into a giant pissing match. That's why I'm not posting in this thread any more.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
We did! You had not messaged me all day! Then I fell asleep later.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I quit PC gaming for 6 months because it turned into a giant pissing match. That's why I'm not posting in this thread any more.
Haha, it's really not bad at all. I was just messing with nepg, and Trogdor was messing with me. All in good fun.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
We did! You had not massaged me all day! Then I fell asleep later.
Fixed for you

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

So, gaming headsets? Any ideas on a good one for under or around $100? My Sound Blaster Arena one finally broke. I actually loved the thing. Lasted me a long time too. I'm half tempted to just buy another. $70 for a new one. I lucked out a while back and got a deal on it for $40. My main thing is comfort and directional sound. For under $100, I don't expect it to be amazing or anything.

Also, reliability/strength would be good. This one just snapped. Like I said, lasted a long time but I hate buying these damn things because I use it quite often due to having roommates and such and I always hate when I buy a crappy one.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
So, gaming headsets? Any ideas on a good one for under or around $100? My Sound Blaster Arena one finally broke. I actually loved the thing. Lasted me a long time too. I'm half tempted to just buy another. $70 for a new one. I lucked out a while back and got a deal on it for $40. My main thing is comfort and directional sound. For under $100, I don't expect it to be amazing or anything.

Also, reliability/strength would be good. This one just snapped. Like I said, lasted a long time but I hate buying these damn things because I use it quite often due to having roommates and such and I always hate when I buy a crappy one.

Any suggestions?
I have used crappy $15 RadioShack headsets for the past 6 years. They've been effective but break easily. I am interested in the responses to this as well. Although $30-40 fits my budget more right now.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I have used crappy $15 RadioShack headsets for the past 6 years. They've been effective but break easily. I am interested in the responses to this as well. Although $30-40 fits my budget more right now.
I'd certainly prefer under $65, but considering how much I use it comfort and sound is very important for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I'm strongly considering these after a bit of research: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00365EA1Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creati veASIN=B00365EA1Q

I've had a TON of success with a lot of Steelseries products. Always quality, simple, and reliable. Price is pretty good. They were rated in a few places as one of the best headsets overall despite being relatively cheap compared to $150-200 pairs.

Not thrilled about the $80 price tag but I think it will be worth it since they are supposedly super comfy.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I'm strongly considering these after a bit of research: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00365EA1Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creati veASIN=B00365EA1Q

I've had a TON of success with a lot of Steelseries products. Always quality, simple, and reliable. Price is pretty good. They were rated in a few places as one of the best headsets overall despite being relatively cheap compared to $150-200 pairs.

Not thrilled about the $80 price tag but I think it will be worth it since they are supposedly super comfy.
Those look nice. Looks like the full black is even a smidge cheaper.

Oldie but a goodie.