Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, ask any question you want and I'll try to answer!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well you said the Story is amazing which is good... How do the graphics stack up.

Is it going to be worth the $150 i am going to drop on it.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you plan on playing an MMO... you're talking about dropping $200 on the game alone in the first year... So you damn well better be sure you can get the most out of the experience and hope that it keeps you from spending money on other games and other entertainment outlets.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Well you said the Story is amazing which is good... How do the graphics stack up.

Is it going to be worth the $150 i am going to drop on it.
If you were to ask me right now, I'd say absolutely yes it will be worth it. The story is just fantastic and the first night I played it I played until 5 am before realizing what time it was.. it is that immersive. You get lost in it and forget that you're playing a game.

The only time I've really lagged is on Coruscant, and that is only because it's super crowded. I have the best video card on the market and I still lag.. so I'm sure it'll be fixed by launch. A lot of other people have complained about the same thing.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
If you were to ask me right now, I'd say absolutely yes it will be worth it. The story is just fantastic and the first night I played it I played until 5 am before realizing what time it was.. it is that immersive. You get lost in it and forget that you're playing a game.

The only time I've really lagged is on Coruscant, and that is only because it's super crowded. I have the best video card on the market and I still lag.. so I'm sure it'll be fixed by launch. A lot of other people have complained about the same thing.
You have the 6990?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's usually something devs have a lot of trouble fixing, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The real test of an MMO is end-game content. Do you still want to login and play when you're at the max level? What is the point of the game at that point? I think WoW did a decent job with this with the story and raids, but not everyone could experience those things and if you didn't play WC3 & FT, you probably didn't have a good idea of what was going on half the time.

I enjoyed the **** out of Ultimate Online's open-ness and community and Shadowbane's end-game because it was completely player-driven (though flawed - still wish devs would work on fixing what Shadowbane's undoings were rather than try to build WoW/EQ over and over again).
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
That's usually something devs have a lot of trouble fixing, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The real test of an MMO is end-game content. Do you still want to login and play when you're at the max level? What is the point of the game at that point? I think WoW did a decent job with this with the story and raids, but not everyone could experience those things and if you didn't play WC3 & FT, you probably didn't have a good idea of what was going on half the time.

I enjoyed the **** out of Ultimate Online's open-ness and community and Shadowbane's end-game because it was completely player-driven (though flawed - still wish devs would work on fixing what Shadowbane's undoings were rather than try to build WoW/EQ over and over again).
DC UNIVERSE online had horrible endgame...one of the reasons its going to free game.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How buggy is it? My friend got invited for the second time and hasn't been able to play either time. He hasn't even got past the patcher.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Pretty much every MMO ever except UO, DAOC, AC, SB, EVE, and WOW (maybe SWG - didn't play it much, though) has had terrible end-game content. It's, you know, the most important part of the game, but Devs constantly neglect it and just make it take forever to get to the max level, so they can get the box sales and subscription sales...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
How buggy is it? My friend got invited for the second time and hasn't been able to play either time. He hasn't even got past the patcher.
It hasn't been buggy for me at all. I've also had no problems logging in at any time since I got the invite.

Quote:
Pretty much every MMO ever except UO, DAOC, AC, SB, EVE, and WOW (maybe SWG - didn't play it much, though) has had terrible end-game content. It's, you know, the most important part of the game, but Devs constantly neglect it and just make it take forever to get to the max level, so they can get the box sales and subscription sales...
EverQuest had great end game when I played it. UO end game was poopy, AC was terrible all around when it first came out, and most of DAOCs end game was pvp.

Quote:
End game content isn't the goal for a lot of people, which is why WoW was so successful. It had end game raids, but it also catered to a more casual crowd.

As far as WoW with their story, you're absolutely dead wrong. There was lore, but there was no story. Go kill 12 boars for absolutely no reason is not a story. Every quest you take in The Old Republic has a fully voiced story which gives you the why in the equation. Most of them splinter into more quests, which evolve into a multi-chain arc. It's unlike anything that has ever been done on the MMO landscape.

Last edited by vidae : 09-28-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

UO was what you and the people on your Shard (server) made of it. I had a great time playing that game from 1998 until Publish 16 (2003?). DAoC was mostly PvP...yup...what's wrong with that? I didn't play DAOC a whole bunch because it was too EQ-like for me with the level grind and I was really just waiting for Shadowbane to come out.

I didn't play much AC, but they did a really good job with world events and had a solid PVP community.

EQ's "end game" was camping the same mob for hours on end and running for hours to retrieve your corpse if you died.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
UO was what you and the people on your Shard (server) made of it. I had a great time playing that game from 1998 until Publish 16 (2003?). DAoC was mostly PvP...yup...what's wrong with that? I didn't play DAOC a whole bunch because it was too EQ-like for me with the level grind and I was really just waiting for Shadowbane to come out.

I didn't play much AC, but they did a really good job with world events and had a solid PVP community.

EQ's "end game" was camping the same mob for hours on end and running for hours to retrieve your corpse if you died.
You obviously didn't play EverQuest endgame if that's what you think it was.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Quote:
You have the 6990?
...? (10 Char)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I have the GTX 580. The 6990 is 7th according to the benchmark site I use. Also I'd never use an ATI video card.. personal preference thing.

Last edited by vidae : 09-28-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
ignoring any of that, it better be the best damn game of all time if they want me to have to pay a monthly fee to continue to pay a game i already paid for. no mmo has ever come close to that.
Imagine Kotor, but with better graphics, more stories, and a ******** more options.. and then add in that after you hit max level there is still a lot for you to do. They've described it as Kotor 3-10, that's how much work went into it.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
[shame]i still haven't gotten past the first 5 minutes of that game.[/shame]

the control system just annoys the crap out of me and i haven't invested the time in figuring out how to change it.
Haha, I hear you on that.. I remember kotor being annoying the first time I played it, but sw:tor has mmo/fps movement too. And you really should take some time to beat kotor.. for my money there hasn't been a better RPG in the last decade.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha, I hear you on that.. I remember kotor being annoying the first time I played it, but sw:tor has mmo/fps movement too. And you really should take some time to beat kotor.. for my money there hasn't been a better RPG in the last decade.
TOR is the only MMO I have considered paying a monthly fee for just because KOTOR was so good. On an aside, KOTOR 2 was good as well but kind of a letdown after the first. I felt they could have built upon the first game and made a better one, but instead they made pretty much the same the game with slightly different graphics interface and a less compelling story. Still, good game but it could have been more.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

rpg's suck ass just sayin... ;-)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:24 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
TOR is the only MMO I have considered paying a monthly fee for just because KOTOR was so good. On an aside, KOTOR 2 was good as well but kind of a letdown after the first. I felt they could have built upon the first game and made a better one, but instead they made pretty much the same the game with slightly different graphics interface and a less compelling story. Still, good game but it could have been more.
Yeah, and Bioware didn't do KOTOR2 and it showed. This is KOTOR mmo style. It's that good. And I'm only level 14 on a single class.. there are still 7 classes I haven't tried.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:51 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vidae go try the other classes and tell me which one I'd like best.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Okay... I am confused and pissed right now.... I need to know what the **** is going on!!!! NOW!
Spoiler for size...

I'm not in testing that i know of... I got no email or notification! Argghhh!

Last edited by ImBrotherCain : 09-29-2011 at 09:48 PM.
ImBrotherCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I'm in an interesting position with this game as well.

I really loved KOTOR a whole ton, really changed my outlook on RPG's as a whole even. Easily one of the best games I've ever played and a major part of my formative years. I wasn't the biggest fan of KOTOR 2 either....or anything Obsidian has done actually. Just felt a lot less polished and organic...almost like officially sponsored KOTOR fanfiction, even. Would have been a hell of a mod, but as it's own thing it just doesn't pass the quality control precedent the first one set.

I would love to play something else along the same lines and a continuation of that type of game in that setting, but I just have no interest in MMOs. Never enjoyed a single one I've tried and they've never held my attention for my than a few hours. Just not my thing at all. Bioware has stated that they equate this game being a KOTOR sequel, and basically being "KOTOR 3-10" or something along those lines, so it doesn't sound like they plan on doing anything else with it for a good bit(although anything is possible if the game succeeds. Pulling for it to do well because of that)....guess I'll just have to stay happy with Mass Effect.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Okay... I am confused and pissed right now.... I need to know what the **** is going on!!!! NOW!
Spoiler for size...

I'm not in testing that i know of... I got no email or notification! Argghhh!
I got that e-mail too but I'm not in the beta either. Their site is currently unavailable due to high traffic, everyone must be flooding it due to an e-mail error.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
I got that e-mail too but I'm not in the beta either. Their site is currently unavailable due to high traffic, everyone must be flooding it due to an e-mail error.
I got to the forums where they acknowledge the email and say they will get back to us soon with information reguarding the email...

Another big name Hacked?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I got to the forums where they acknowledge the email and say they will get back to us soon with information reguarding the email...

Another big name Hacked?
Yep got the email too...was uber pissed.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote