Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'm not. I'm excited for GW2, but I thought TOR would be so much better than it turned out to be. I followed TOR for years.

I've toyed with going back and playing it when I've been really bored but I haven't taken the plunge again yet. Meh. GW2 is just a better game from start to finish so far.
I felt the same about TOR...man I had been so excited for it for a long time. I hear its going to be FTP soon...or already is, not sure havn't really kept up with it since I stopped playing in March.

Steam summer sale is just around the corner!
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
I felt the same about TOR...man I had been so excited for it for a long time. I hear its going to be FTP soon...or already is, not sure havn't really kept up with it since I stopped playing in March.

Steam summer sale is just around the corner!
The first 10 or 15 levels are going FTP. I doubt the game itself is going that route in the next 3-6 months.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
The first 10 or 15 levels are going FTP. I doubt the game itself is going that route in the next 3-6 months.
I think to be competitive in the MMO world you have to come out with a very polished game. You can't have 1st week problems where users can't log into servers and have to wait 2 hours to get in because the server is over populated. In addition when you have PvP end game content you need more than 3 maps. FPS games have 6+ maps that generally get tiring over a period of time. You need to start with at least 4-5 maps and add a few more each month or so in order to keep end game PvP fresh.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem wasn't launch. The problem was out was wow in space and every patch took sday a reason to play.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:11 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
The problem wasn't launch. The problem was out was wow in space and every patch took sday a reason to play.
Wait, wut?

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:15 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone come play Day Z!

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
I think to be competitive in the MMO world you have to come out with a very polished game. You can't have 1st week problems where users can't log into servers and have to wait 2 hours to get in because the server is over populated. In addition when you have PvP end game content you need more than 3 maps. FPS games have 6+ maps that generally get tiring over a period of time. You need to start with at least 4-5 maps and add a few more each month or so in order to keep end game PvP fresh.
Clearly you haven't played every MMO in the history of MMO's. They all have awful launches. TOR was actually probably one of the best because they did decide to limit the populations early on.

I agree about the PvP though. Needs a lot more work. If they fixed a lot of the PvP I would be willing to come back.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wait, wut?
******* Swype has not been my friend lately. It* instead of out. Away* instead of sday (wtf is that even in the dictionary for?).

SWTOR started of solid. Launch didn't have everything, but there was plenty to do while they pushed out the rest of their content... But they made ****** patches that took away reasons to login and play the game - everything they did dumbed down the game.

They had World Bosses that were way cooler than their raids, but they made killing them meaningless.

Their PvP area was really dumb at launch, but had potential. Then they completely broke it with their patches to the point where no one had any reason to go out there anymore.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Ilum might have been broken at the start (with the trading of bases and what not) but they made it worse with every single patch. No game has been able to do the "world pvp" thing correctly yet (with the exception of early DAOC), though many have tried.

Here is to hoping that GW2 does it correctly. I think they might be on to something.

And about launch: it was a very good launch. I've played MMOs with some god awful launches. WoW had a pretty ****** launch, so did Age of Conan, and Anarchy Online was UNPLAYABLE for weeks. Memory leaks, characters disappearing, no missions working, some classes completely broken etc. TOR had the best launch I've ever been a part of personally.

The rest of the game wasn't on par though, and that is sad. I still like the game, a lot, but there is little reason to go back.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New computer chair today... yes please.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gettin my dayz on today
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Yeah, Ilum might have been broken at the start (with the trading of bases and what not) but they made it worse with every single patch. No game has been able to do the "world pvp" thing correctly yet (with the exception of early DAOC), though many have tried.

Here is to hoping that GW2 does it correctly. I think they might be on to something.

And about launch: it was a very good launch. I've played MMOs with some god awful launches. WoW had a pretty ****** launch, so did Age of Conan, and Anarchy Online was UNPLAYABLE for weeks. Memory leaks, characters disappearing, no missions working, some classes completely broken etc. TOR had the best launch I've ever been a part of personally.

The rest of the game wasn't on par though, and that is sad. I still like the game, a lot, but there is little reason to go back.
UO & Shadowbane were the best. AC was pretty good from what I heard, but I never played it. The problem with modern games and open world PvP is that they have open world AND instanced PvP and the games aren't built around PvP. With UO, balance changes to the game were made based on PvP and pretty much never on PvE. Same with Shadowbane. I didn't play DAoC long enough to get a feel for their patches, but it seemed like they were similar for the most part.

TOR might have been the best launch ever. There have been about 3-4 actual solid launches in MMO history. TOR, DAoC, WAR, and I really can't think of another.

I have a list of reasons I won't play TOR, but I agree that it is a good game. Especially if it's your first MMO.
-The world is supposed to be massive, but it feels really small.
-There isn't much to do, and everything you can do is on rails.
-Totally static world ( -- how have MMOs, which were largely beloved and boasted about in the beginning for their persistence become so widely static??? (maybe a rehash of the second point)
-It's WoW with lightsabers.
-Crafting was weak and they kept making it weaker.
-The game was apparently "too hard" for casual and solo players (it wasn't), so they dumbed everything the **** down. (e.g. no more having to do World Boss to get magenta (which was worthless anyway - wtf?))
-The game's formula was an endless gear chase (WoW). It's amazing how stuck on that formula developers are...there are other ways to do things. UO was addictive as **** for over 10 years and players, for the most part, just did their own thing (and there was a lot more to do!)
Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My biggest problem with TOR and the thing that ended up breaking me so that I stopped playing was the constant walking/running/speeding. I felt like 75% of the game was just traveling from area to area and only 25% was actually playing.

I don't find that fun and the first couple of major patches did nothing to address it so I stopped. There was no excuse for it, any universe like Star Wars has easy game mechanics to stop that from having to exist, from as easy as using the hologram system to complete quests to making speeders fast. Why make me actually ride on the shuttle as well that could just be 2 second load.

For what it's worth, WoW was pretty similar when I played it and that really had no excuse for it either, what with all the magic.

That is one of the things that made Diablo great, you didn't spend all day just running between locations...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I didn't mind the running/speeding as much as the pointless spacedock stops that created multiple loading screens before you got a chance to run/speeder.

And once you got to max level, you never explored the world because they took any reason to away... You did your dailies (maybe) which were relatively lumped together and easy, which took about 45 minutes...and that's it.

I don't mind the travel if it's part of a risk/reward system like in older MMOs, but developers simply don't involve risk anymore. It's pathetic.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see any point to the travel, it felt like their best solution to stop people leveling too fast was to make them spend half the time running around, that isn't game balance that is just stupid and boring.

I quite literally spent half the time just on auto run whilst I browsed on the other monitor. It was an entirely pointless "game element" that did nothing but take away from immersion, fun and reasons to play.

Could just be me though, maybe others enjoy just pushing the auto run button and zoning out.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should just make TOR free to play. I kinda want to actually finish my storyline. I never made it to 50 :(

Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I bet that it will be F2P before too long.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

They kind of have to if nobody is playing. Then I can finally finish my story!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

It would be an impeccable free game because there is a great deal of story to it.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't touched D3 in a few weeks because of my addiction for SC2 has came back. Maybe because I got bored of the demon hunter character I dunno.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Everyone and their mother is a Demon Hunter it seems.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, but I hate to start over when I haven't finished Act III yet I need to go back and finish one of these days.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Everyone and their mother is a Demon Hunter it seems.
Ehh I think Barb would be more popular... Although I was DH.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I got Wizard to 60, hated it, and rerolled Barbarian. It's so much more enjoyable, and I don't die in a single hit from anything in Inferno a3 either, which is a plus.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm playing as a Witch Doctor, enjoying it so far, just don't have much time to play.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote