Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have thermaltake keyboard and mouse! Love em, but I'm going to be picking up a new keyboard in a few months because I want to go mechanical.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a Razor Lycosa keyboard which I hate, if I wasn't going overseas soon I'd have replaced it long ago. It looks cool but it ***** up with iTunes and just starts scrolling it up and skipping backwards every 4 hours or so and nothing I do has fixed it other than either a restart or pulling it out and plugging in again. On top of that I find it to be the worst keyboard I've ever used to type on, takes serious pressure to get anything out of it and makes any long session result in sore fingers. Would never recommend one of their keyboards based on this one.

The Mamba mouse is top notch though and I highly recommend it. Although it does have some issues when used in cordless mode as well.

My Logitech keyboard is still the best I've had, unfortunately the mouse died that went with it so I had to replace it :(

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been using a Logitech mouse for almost a decade. Had to replace my old one after 8 years because the scroll wheel finally gave out. I'm not picky about keyboards but I've been using a Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition for the past few months and I don't think that I'd recommend it. Its not bad, but it just feels a little clunky and I had to get a new cord for it because the one that came with it was either loose or would sometimes just make the keyboard completely unresponsive for a few seconds, but thankfully I got them to replace it for free and no shipping cost. I'm not a big fan of Razer's mouse selection, and I haven't tried any other keyboards besides the one that I have so I couldn't say anything about the rest of them. I've had no problems with their Carcharias headset in the year or so that I've had it though.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As Wogs said on the last page I had the Razer Lycosa and it was just a piece of crap. It is currently sitting in the basement as a backup keyboard in the event my Black Widow dies.

If I had to buy a new keyboard and mouse today I definitely think I would re buy a Black Widow Ultimate although I may consider the stealth version. As for the mouse I love my Deathadder and I will probably use it until it kicks the bucket but I would buy the Mamba as it is essentially a better Deathadder.

I noticed Vox isn't a huge fan of his Black Widow and while I don't think the Keyboard is for everyone I personally love it and I think it was one of the better investments I have made for my computer. I will never go back to a non mechanical keyboard after using that one. Unfortunately the switches aren't the best for gaming as they aren't the best a registering double taps (Hence why I would consider the stealth) but it is the most satisfying keyboard to type on.

Lastly I kinda want to try the Ouroboros because that thing looks incredible. Although I hear it is uncomfortable as all hell.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
it's apparently still/always a massive piece of ****.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...ity_front_for/
You have to kind of remember the community though. Reddit has been ripping the game non-stop because of the online always stuff. Rightfully so, in many cases, but I think the game has progressed quite a bit. They have been updating it like almost no other games have been updated before. Almost MMO like..except quicker.

It is far from perfect, but I think it's a good game.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are they updating, or patching to fix broken and/or ridiculous stuff that should have been changed before launch? Big difference between the two.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Are they updating, or patching to fix broken and/or ridiculous stuff that should have been changed before launch? Big difference between the two.
The biggest issue was traffic. They have devoted several patches to fixing it. They still need to fix some things, for sure, but the game is much, much, much better. The main thing I feel they need to do is give us bigger plots of land for cities. So those with the CPUs to handle it can do it. I think that would be nice.

It's a different style of Sim City, but I enjoy it.

Most of the major issues appear to have been solved from what I've seen.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Best bet is to just keep it simple and time your gravity turn. You can get into orbit pretty easily with a single engine design.

Once I hit 10,000 meters (10km) I start my gravity turn. Just a simple 10 degree turn onto the 90 degree heading. Then every 10km I keep turn 10-15 degrees.
Quote:
i'd also add to watch your throttle. if you're running with it fully open the whole time, you're wasting a ton of dV for nothing (because you're fighting drag). get up to like, 100-120m/s as fast as possible, then drop the throttle and keep it under 150m/s until you're over 10km.
Both of these are good advice. Clearly where I falter is not throttling back.

Now to make a kick as Satellite and get it in orbit.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

DUNA!!! WOOOOHOOO!

Big thanks to njx on this one. Helped a lot with some design stuff I suck at. I would rep you if I hadn't already done so somewhat recently, haha.

Unfortunately, it was only a one way trip. I sort of screwed up approach and was like...20 million km off Duna, despite grabbing its gravity so I had to do a massive burn which killed almost all my fuel.

It's alright though. Now I can plan my rescue of the stranded astronauts!

I may actually plan to figure out on how to get some sort of refueling station around Duna. If I had that I would have had enough fuel in this instance to jump back into orbit, dock, and refuel. Bah!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
read the top two posts though. nothing about the always online idiocy. plenty about how the game is extraordinarily broken in other, important ways.

aerobraking, yo. you have to be pretty good with your maneuver nodes, but it saves SO much fuel on the circularization burns.
Oh no, I understand. The always online stuff is moronic. And they REALLY need to fix the ability to play with others. If the ability to transfer resources, take up certain sectors (i.e. someone provides industry, others provides commercial, etc.) worked better the game would be amazing. As of right now it still has a ways to go but I find it enjoyable nonetheless.

And yeah, haha. I'm still a little off with my nodes. Does the burn with a node factor in the distance you will be traveling during the burn, as well as the time it takes for your engines to go full power? Maybe I need to start it earlier than it says. I'm not sure.

I attempted to do some aerobraking but think it ended up failing. Is there a certain height you need to hit for aerobraking on Duna?

That's why I'm hoping to get some orbital refueling stations going. I feel like it will allow me for a greater margin of error in case I do screw up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, I had to quick load once for my Duna mission because I accidentally warped too quick when approaching the planet and slammed into it, haha. I plan to do a few more missions then I might try to look at some potential mods. I saw one that added some nice bases for the surface of planets. Wouldn't mind making a Mun base.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Forenci... DayZ?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content.php/184

new stuff for .21

sounds like so many awesome things are right around the corner.
Haha, I'm so pumped for this. These are a lot of the big changes I've been hoping for. I feel like after this it's going to be a full push for adding Career mode. I'm just hoping they make Career mode awesome.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finally put something in orbit, I think I did it in a ******** way, I need to get better at this.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there a good site for controls you guys use?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
heh, nice. now get ready to kill at least 50 kerbals trying to do it again.
Haha, that's the funniest part. The first time I got something to orbit I was like, "Woo, I got this!" and then I couldn't do it again for quite some time.

Now it just seems so simple.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Haha yeah. I'm trying to decide what I should do next. I want to rescue my astronauts on Duna, but I'd like to get a nice orbital refueling station up around the planet first. Haven't really decided on how to get that done though.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I should probably just buy the game with the amount I play, just so I can get all the updates.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Wooooo!!!

I just got my first orbit! Honestly it was all thanks to Forenci's video I watched yesterday.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Wooooo!!!

I just got my first orbit! Honestly it was all thanks to Forenci's video I watched yesterday.
BOW TO MY GREATNESS! But not really. It was some old recorded video of my first attempt that I put up on Youtube recently, haha.

Also, I just bought SpyParty. It's in beta now, kind of using the Minecraft style of payment.

I've been following it a while and am super excited to play it.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As I write this, 3 Kerbals are plummeting to their doom on my first launch attempt. I really didn't read anything, just turned on the game and launched a rocket into the air.

I came 15 seconds from reaching orbit. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I didn't get the capsule that comes with a chute, so these guys are going to die. Got up to 122km. Jebediah Kerman smiling the entire time. Poor guy.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I must say... reading the posts I have two thoughts...

a) I have no idea what this game is or how it works and 3 pages of posts have done nothing to clarify this...

b) It sounds like it could be a great fix for my masochistic/sadistic tendencies, sort of like trying to find new ways to kill Sims...

Can anyone tell me what this game actually is?

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I already made fun of this game to Forenci on Steam, so it might look bad with me buying it now, but I'm gunna do it anyway.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

YOU BASTARD. Calling me out and now buying it...

Oh well. I accept it.

It really is an amazing game. If I don't truly like a game I pretty much will stop playing it after a couple weeks. I've been playing this consistently for over two months now I believe. And I'm never ever someone who likes "sandbox" type games where there's no real objective, but in the game it's so easy to create your own meaningful objectives. Get into suborbital flight, get into orbit, orbit the Mun, land on the Mun, put up a space station, land on Duna, land on Eve, etc, etc. It's literally endless.

We may have to check out this plugin/mod njx showed me. I don't think either of us have tried it but it apparently lets you see what your friends are doing in their games so it gives it a slight multiplayer feel. I feel like we could do some fun things with that once we're all half decent (i.e. race to the Mun!). Plus it'd just be fun to watch what others are up to.

I try to play in a "fun realistic" way. By that I mean, my goal is to keep my Kebals alive at all times. I build redundancy into my ships (usually) for the sake of keeping them alive. Even if a mission fails I typically bring my astronauts back to Kebrin alive. I actually think this will benefit me greatly assuming they implement everything in the next patch when you can have recurring astronauts with greater skills and such. I get attached to certain astronauts. Jebediah will never die and has been the first to explore planets and moons!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

It'd be absolutely excellent if I could up a mine craft type server where we all had our own kerbals and had to build programs to visit each other.