Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

We have:

Round 1
Round 2
Round 4 (Denver's from New England in the Branch deal)
Round 5
Round 5 (Baltimore's from Josh Wilson)
Round 6 (Detroit's from Lawrence Jackson)
Round 7 (Cleveland's from Seneca Wallace)
Round 7

We traded our 3rd for Whitehurst, our 4th for Lynch, and our 6th for Balmer.

Am I correct?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick first mock...

Round 1: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
Round 2: Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
Round 4: Jerrell Powe, DT, Mississippi
Round 5: Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union
Round 5: Derek Hall, OL, Stanford
Round 6: Ricky Elmore, DE, Arizona
Round 7: Andrew Jackson, OG, Fresno State
Round 7: Michael Morgan, LB, USC
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Locker is not the inferior prospect to Cameron Jordan or Brandon Harris.

In terms of pure potential in this class, it goes 1) Cam Newton 2) Jake Locker and then it doesn't even matter. Locker and Newton are physical freaks. Big, strong, fast. They are light years ahead of anyone else in this class as athletes. If they didn't have huge question marks regarding their accuracy(Locker) and system/father (Newton) they would both be top 5 picks probably going 1 & 3.

And lets be honest, Clausen wasn't anywhere near the prospect that any of the top 5 QBs in this class are. He also had a nasty attitude. The person I see closest to falling like Clausen is Mallet.

I know you don't like the QB's in this class, but we need someone to be learning under Hasselbeck this year. He has 1-2 years left tops, not to mention he's injury prone (hello freak back injury). QBs take 2-4 years to mature. Are you willing to have Clipboard Jesus continue being the QB of the future since we don't have anyone else capable of playing the position?

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6
summond822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Yes I am. And it's not because I love Whitehurst. I don't think Whitehurst is the answer.

I'm just not in favor of investing a high pick on a QB more so because we need one than because we believe he can lead us to the Super Bowl one day and is more worthy of the pick than the other players available.

I would take Newton and MAYBE Gabbert.

We all know how I feel about Locker but if you don't think there's a chance he falls to the 2nd round then I don't know what to tell you. He's gifted physically but you can't just ignore actual quarterbacking...

Jimmy Clausen might be an asshole but he was a far more impressive college quarterback and a superior prospect (considering most of his concerns came from personality issues and not so much actual performance, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I liked him a lot last year).
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, lets put it this way. Is Locker more advanced as a QB than Tebow last year? Yes. Does he have the Tebow intangibles? No, nobody does, but Locker comes pretty close.

Am I saying that we take Locker immediately if he is there? No. I've watched him at Washington these last 4 years and the one thing that was obvious to me even when he was being touted as the #1 pick last year was his accuracy particularly on deep throws where he consistently overthrows his receiver. The one thing that scouts are worried the most about.

However this year, his receivers dropped a lot of balls. I mean everytime Jermaine Kearse actually caught one I considered it a minor miracle. Does that completely excuse his performance? No. But it does put it a little more into perspective.

Now back to the pick, I am not adverse to taking a 2nd round QB if there is a better prospect on the board at 25 than one of the available QB's. I just have trouble seeing it happening if Locker is on the board. The thing I actually see more likely happening is Locker going Top 15 and us taking one of the top CB's.

In fact I'm actually hoping that Locker doesn't make it to us for the simple reason that if he does stay in Seattle the expectations will be unreachable.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seattle Mock Draft (updated)

#25 a. Cameron Jordan, DE Cal
b. Brandon Harris/Jimmy Smith, CBs Miami/Colorado
c. Gabe Carimi, RT Wisconsin

#57 a. Rodney Hudson, OG Florida State
b. Ben Ijalana, OT(I like him better as a guard) Villanova
c. Ahmad Black, DB Florida

#98 a. DeMarco Murray, RB Oklahoma
b. Owen Marecic, FB Stanford
c. Marvin Austin, DT UNC

#153 Mario Addison, DE Troy
(I really like this guy. He's fast, explodes off the edge, gets good leverage under tackles and shows some strength at the POA. I'd be thrilled if the 'Hawks drafted him and let him compete with Chris Clemons for the LEO spot. He's a little bit like a small-schools version of Von Miller, perhaps, but I think he actually looks more physical. Watch him against the big schools at Oklahoma and South Carolina.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7AnorXXJlk

#154 Darvin Adams, WR Auburn

#168 Chykie Brown, CB Texas

#198 Tyrod Taylor, QB Virginia Tech

#217 Andrew Rich, SS BYU

Last edited by Caulibflower : 02-18-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I LOVE Jordan, hate Love and think we should pick at least one corner before pick #168. I like Adams and the Addison kid intrigues me as well...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basically, I'm figuring that I've got cornerback covered with my #25b options, because I really don't think Cam Jordan is going to be on the board when we pick. What's wrong with Love? He's got everything you want physically. I'd be tempted to move Addison up a pick if it wasn't for the fact that in our case this year, that equates to about two rounds. I've watched that Youtube video several times, and I like everything I see there. For only being listed around 250, he's not a bad run-stopper at all, and you can see that he was disrupting those SEC offenses. He definitely wasn't just putting up his stats against Sun Belt teams.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 02-14-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

What do you guys think of bringing in Kevin Kolb? Say we trade our first rounder to the Eagles for Kolb and their third. Or something.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubflower View Post
What do you guys think of bringing in Kevin Kolb? Say we trade our first rounder to the Eagles for Kolb and their third. Or something.
Absolutely not, I would hate that. Lets keep our first and get a good player.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex
HawkEye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Bruce Gradkowski is supposed to be a free agent this year. I've liked him since he first came into the league; wouldn't mind at all if the Seahawks signed him. He's way better than Whitehurst. Dennis Dixon might be worth taking a look at. Honestly, I wouldn't mind bringing in Alex Smith for a look, either.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Love is atrocious at football (based on his bowl game and the Senior Bowl). He got beat like a drum consistently).

And I'm not a big Kolb guy. I wouldn't be furious if we dealt #25 for him but I'm not very high on him (though we haven't seen much out of him obviously and he definitely has upside).
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I didn't see Love in those games. I'll take your word for it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:15 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

That Addison kid intrigues me. I love on one of the first plays (Oklahoma State game) he holds off the LT with one arm and makes the tackle. Just shows incredible strength.

However, I think the reason he isn't regarded as a higher round draft pick is because he seems kind of undersized for anything but a situational pass rusher (can't tell from the highlight video), and in coverage he doesn't have great hips. Great sleeper pick as a 4-3 DE though.

Of course, it's also a highlight video so we can't see if there are any inconsistencies with his effort.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

John Clayton hears that more scouts are saying that Locker likely falls to the second

Thoughts? Trading down from 25 now becomes an extremely popular move in my opinion. Grab some extra picks, maybe a first next year, and then grab our QB of the future in the later first or early second.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I'd just as soon take him at 25 if the team decides he's "the guy." I mean, if you think that there's a guy on the board who's going to be your quarterback for at least the next 4 or 5 years, just as a matter of a development timetable, I don't think you risk another team taking him just to pick up some more picks.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Also, does anyone know how Brandon Harris did at the combine? I didn't get to watch this morning. I haven't seen him anywhere on the "fastest times" postings, so I'm guessing he could fall a little bit, which is fine with me if it means we can get him at a bargain price.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I didn't see it either, but Harris had the 5th best time among DB's in the first group. He ran a 4.43

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/01/chek...-group-of-dbs/

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt put much stock in what John Clayton has to say to be honest. Was that before Locker looked like the best QB at the combine on Sunday? Some mocks i'm seeing he's going as high as #9 to the Titans and #10 to the Redskins. He won't even be there for the Hawks.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubflower View Post
Also, does anyone know how Brandon Harris did at the combine? I didn't get to watch this morning. I haven't seen him anywhere on the "fastest times" postings, so I'm guessing he could fall a little bit, which is fine with me if it means we can get him at a bargain price.
Harris looked very fluid. He's an NFL CB - no doubt.

It just sucks to have a guy at 5'9" covering Fitz. He'll struggle with bigger receivers but he's got the ability to stay with anyone. I like him.

On a related note, the Jimmy Smith hype train is derailing before our eyes. I doubt we consider him at #25, as I previously believed. Aaron Williams reportedly didn't light up the combine either, but I only saw Harris in drills.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I wouldnt put much stock in what John Clayton has to say to be honest. Was that before Locker looked like the best QB at the combine on Sunday? Some mocks i'm seeing he's going as high as #9 to the Titans and #10 to the Redskins. He won't even be there for the Hawks.
By all accounts Ryan Mallett looked like the best QB at the combine.

ALL mocks had Jimmy Clausen going first round at this time last year.

Locker's on-field, in-pads-related issues are not all of the sudden alleviated because he looked better throwing in shorts (how could he NOT look better after his season and Senior Bowl?). His performance Sunday isn't going to move him up to the top ten from the 2nd round range, which is where Clayton (and rational logic) had him prior to throwing well in shorts.

I know it only takes one team but I think there's a GREAT chance he's there at #25 and a real chance he's there for us in the 2nd round.

In terms of insiders, Clayton's not one to spew BS. If he's hearing second round, it's probably accurate. I don't know why you "wouldn't put stock in what he has to say."
Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Wait, what is happening with Jimmy Smith? From everything I've heard he's actually moving up into the first half of the 1st. I didn't watch the combine this year, was there a red flag there?

And also, Mallet was the best QB throwing the ball at the combine from everyone who's reporting. It sounds like Locker came second. However Mallet still has the issues of being a statue in the pocket and making very questionable decisions during the game. Also, his inability to deal with the media at the combine and the character concerns that already exist pretty much cement him as a 2nd rounder in my book. No team is going to want to take the risk of drafting him in the first round with all of these red flags.

But you are right about the Clausen in the first round last year. Hell even I was thinking it. This year a lot of draftniks are looking at a similar scenario with Mallet (more serious off field, but also more potential) and being cautious about placing him too high on draft boards.

The one thing I've noticed about Clayton, at least when it comes to this year's draft, is he has never liked Locker, and he is in love with Christian Ponder.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
By all accounts Ryan Mallett looked like the best QB at the combine.

ALL mocks had Jimmy Clausen going first round at this time last year.

Locker's on-field, in-pads-related issues are not all of the sudden alleviated because he looked better throwing in shorts (how could he NOT look better after his season and Senior Bowl?). His performance Sunday isn't going to move him up to the top ten from the 2nd round range, which is where Clayton (and rational logic) had him prior to throwing well in shorts.

I know it only takes one team but I think there's a GREAT chance he's there at #25 and a real chance he's there for us in the 2nd round.

In terms of insiders, Clayton's not one to spew BS. If he's hearing second round, it's probably accurate. I don't know why you "wouldn't put stock in what he has to say."
You and me are going to have this fight up until draft day i can see. He did have a great weekend at the combine, impressed by all accounts, everyone he talked to and performed above expectations on the field. Athletically he was the best of the top QBs and he threw extremely well. I watched the whole coverage on Sunday and he threw better than Newton by far and i thought as good or better than Mallett. When he does something well give him some credit.

As for the Senior Bowl, you keep wanting to bring up, he was 6-10 and was around 8-11 in catchable balls. We'll keep discussing this i'm sure. No hard feelings.

Clayton doesnt know football from a hole in the wall, he just regurgitates what he hears from others. If he talks to someone that likes Locker tomorrow then his tune will change, nothing more.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
You and me are going to have this fight up until draft day i can see. He did have a great weekend at the combine, impressed by all accounts, everyone he talked to and performed above expectations on the field. Athletically he was the best of the top QBs and he threw extremely well. I watched the whole coverage on Sunday and he threw better than Newton by far and i thought as good or better than Mallett. When he does something well give him some credit.

As for the Senior Bowl, you keep wanting to bring up, he was 6-10 and was around 8-11 in catchable balls. We'll keep discussing this i'm sure. No hard feelings.

Clayton doesnt know football from a hole in the wall, he just regurgitates what he hears from others. If he talks to someone that likes Locker tomorrow then his tune will change, nothing more.
hears from others = hears from informed NFL sources...

If he comes out tomorrow and says he's now viewed as a first rounder than I'd absolutely buy it. But no credible source has placed him in that area to this point. Instead, most are saying he's a 2nd rounder.

I give Locker credit for his performance at the combine. What I won't do is allow one workout in shorts to vault him up an entire round or two in my mind. He still has the game tape of a mid-to-late round QB with all the tools.

In fact, I heard a bit of his interview today on Mike and Mike and the hosts AND Locker himself were adamant that "draft slot doesn't matter as much as what you do when you get the chance" (paraphrasing a lot) pointing to Rodgers and bracing Locker for a selection later than he was hoping previous to this season. Locker seemed ready to take on that challenge which I liked.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune has heard "rumblings" that the Seahawks are "not high" on Washington QB Jake Locker.
"But that could be a smokescreen," concedes Williams. Locker has local ties, so it was presumed that he'd be a sexy pick for the Seahawks at No. 25 overall. Then again, after "leading" the hometown Huskies to just 15 wins on 40 career starts, perhaps Locker isn't all that beloved in Washington, after all.
Related: Seahawks
Source: Tacoma News Tribune
This is the second report I've read that has indicated the Seahawks are not high on him.

I do concede that if they did have the intention of selecting him at #25, a smokescreen like this would be smart.

Still, I'm hoping the rumblings are sincere. I know most other Seahawks fans aren't.