Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ras-I Dowling is who I want. I also like Randall Cobb a lot but WR is unlikely I think. Marvin Austin or Jurrell Casey wouldn't surprise me. I have faith that we'll put together a good draft which will allow you all to come to terms with the first pick better.

The pick reaction kind of reminds me of the way the Logan Mankins pick was received...
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You mean everyone hating it and thinking it was a reach?

I'm not so sure that he is going to play at LG anymore. It sounds more like they want him to be the RT according to the interviews from Carrol and Schneider last night.

Still, I have heard that a couple of teams (Bears and Packers notably) had Carpenter higher than Carimi and Sherrod on their boards and were going to take him but the Seahawks grabbed him instead.

I only mention that because several people have said he was a reach and that Carimi was a better choice at that spot. I think Carpenter's versatility is really what the Seahawks value about him. If we didn't already have Okung, I would say that he could be the LT of the future for us from watching some tape.

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6
summond822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^Agree with everything you said there. IIRC, you're always pretty optimistic and sometimes we've disagreed. This time, I'm with ya. I'm not blasting this pick because the internet had him ranked in the 50s and he's an OT. It's a week draft and we needed help at RT/OG. I'm fine with it.

And yes, they view him as a RT. I incorrectly thought he'd start at OG initially. Still, he could probably play inside. In any case, he's probably the best run-blocker on our roster right now which is sad but gives us some hope.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When I saw the selection I didn't really know what to make of it. I mean yes it felt like a reach at the time, but then I started thinking about it.

1) They couldn't pull off the trade that they wanted.
2) They didn't reach for a flashy prospect with significant question marks (Jimmy Smith, Da'Quon Bowers)
3) They stuck to their draft board.

That process just shows me they believe in their grades and I'm not going to judge them after only 1 year, where it seems like they got some great value at spots.

I mean everyone who has trashed the pick has had to come back and say, "Well I don't think he will bust, but "blah" was a better option."

Bottom line is, if you draft a player in the first round and they are your starter from day 1 for the next 5-10 years, that is a successful draft pick. If a player is taken in the 1st, they need to be a starter. It is much easier to justify taking risks later in the draft where the rate of success is nowhere near as high.

Carpenter will be a successful draft pick for us at either RT or G if he has to slide inside, barring injuries.

Our running game just got loads better and our passing game should improve also. Now if we go out and trade for Carson Palmer, I love this pick x100. It gets us back in the playoffs this year as a legitimate playoff team.

I am just hoping that Schneider and Carroll keep adding talent through the draft and going about this the right way.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind getting aaron williams, thats who I'm hoping we get.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex
HawkEye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sweeet. No 2nd round pick. And all we did was switch with the lions in the other rounds, right?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I can't be too upset about trading down. Moffitt just goes to show that they are serious about getting a running game going this year. Another player that will likely step in from day 1 and be a starter.

I'd say that this pick pretty much guarantees that they won't be bringing Chris Spencer back. After all Moffitt did some work at center at the Senior Bowl iirc.

I was hoping that they would use some of their picks to move back into the third and grab Brandon Burton, but it is kind of looking like he could be there when they pick 2nd tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moffitt's the nasty mauler we've been lacking in the run game. I like that pick. Hopefully we can pick up some speed tomorrow.

...MARIO ADDISOOOOOOOON!!!

At this point, I wouldn't mind taking Marcus Cannon, either, even though we've already picked two linemen. Our line needs a complete overhaul.

I like Sam Acho a lot, too, and Edmund Gates could give us a spark.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm not mistaken, Christian Ballard is still available, too. I might consider him a bit of a consolation for missing on Cameron Jordan. Base end.

I'm going through the tracker, listing guys still available that I like:

Greg Salas
Jacquizz Rodgers
Wouldn't be horrified if we picked Ricky Stanzi or Tyrod Taylor
Derrick Locke
Robert Sands, but we took Kam Chancellor last year, and they're really similar.
Delone Carter
Charles Clay
Darvin Adams
Greg Jones
Denarious Moore
Old 04-30-2011, 09:19 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up Ballard with one of our first 2 picks today.

Som players I still like:
Ballard
Brandon Burton
Ricky Stanzi
Kendric Burney
Sam Acho
Jalil Brown
Greg Romeus
Cecil Shorts
Tyrod Taylor

Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I think K.J. Wright is insurance in case the Hawks can't resign Raheem Brock. Everyone is saying that he is a OLB, but when I look at his size and then I look at Clemons, they are almost identical. I think he could put on some weight and probably not lose any steps. LEO depth or actual LB depth, unsure as of now.

Durham I feel is a reach. I understand that they like him and that he could come in immediately as a rookie in red zone situations but he just looks too skinny.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really wish we would have taken Gates over Durham. That one kind of hurt me. Sherman was a pretty good pick, but outside of him and Moffit (who was a solid value there) I have a really hard time getting excited about this draft. I was in love with almost everything we did last year while I'm sitting here scratching my head about the moves we made this year.

I also really wished we would have traded down and got a 2012 first and a 2nd for #25. It would have been really nice to have some more ammo to go get a QB next year.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 PM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I really wish we would have taken Gates over Durham. That one kind of hurt me. Sherman was a pretty good pick, but outside of him and Moffit (who was a solid value there) I have a really hard time getting excited about this draft. I was in love with almost everything we did last year while I'm sitting here scratching my head about the moves we made this year.

I also really wished we would have traded down and got a 2012 first and a 2nd for #25. It would have been really nice to have some more ammo to go get a QB next year.
I'd have to agree with you here. I think this draft kinda sucked in general, last years was just so much more exciting.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tough draft where they were picking but i'll give them credit for focusing on an area of need. I thought Carpenter and Moffitt went a round too early but if they can start for 10 years who cares. I'd probably give them a C+.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

As I was watching this draft I couldn't help but feel like the Seahawks were screwed from their very first pick when they couldn't trade down. It just kind of felt like this draft lacked a lot of talent in positions of need for the Hawks once they were actually able to start picking.

Given that, I feel like they did a pretty good job of finding starters (Carpenter, Moffitt).

While I do think that Durham was a reach he's a 6'5 WR that runs a 4.4-4.5 40 and had 18 of his 32 catches when A.J. Green wasn't eligible. That pick screams upside to me.

The rest of this draft was spent on improving the talent/size of our secondary (2 6'+ press CB and 1 ball-hawking S) and our OLB/LEO position depth (K.J. Wright & Malcolm Smith)

I think that the 7th round pick (Levingston?) is depth behind Red Bryant, but I have serious doubts that he develops into anything other than emergency depth.

It also isn't fair to compare this draft to last years. Last year there was a ton of underclassmen who declared that improved the quality of that draft, this year the depth was nowhere near as high.

I understand the frustration about the draft, but I feel like they got two solid starters from this draft. I once heard that if you can get 2 starters from a draft that draft is a success.

So while I can't give them an A for some of their reaches, the work that they did in this draft is at least a solid B

Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summond822 View Post
As I was watching this draft I couldn't help but feel like the Seahawks were screwed from their very first pick when they couldn't trade down. It just kind of felt like this draft lacked a lot of talent in positions of need for the Hawks once they were actually able to start picking.

Given that, I feel like they did a pretty good job of finding starters (Carpenter, Moffitt).

While I do think that Durham was a reach he's a 6'5 WR that runs a 4.4-4.5 40 and had 18 of his 32 catches when A.J. Green wasn't eligible. That pick screams upside to me.

The rest of this draft was spent on improving the talent/size of our secondary (2 6'+ press CB and 1 ball-hawking S) and our OLB/LEO position depth (K.J. Wright & Malcolm Smith)

I think that the 7th round pick (Levingston?) is depth behind Red Bryant, but I have serious doubts that he develops into anything other than emergency depth.

It also isn't fair to compare this draft to last years. Last year there was a ton of underclassmen who declared that improved the quality of that draft, this year the depth was nowhere near as high.

I understand the frustration about the draft, but I feel like they got two solid starters from this draft. I once heard that if you can get 2 starters from a draft that draft is a success.

So while I can't give them an A for some of their reaches, the work that they did in this draft is at least a solid B
They definitely could have traded down. Pete said on Twitter that he had FIVE offers on the table.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

And yet none of them were what they wanted. Part of the problem was that they admitted that they wanted to trade down (twice publicly iirc). It is one thing to "leak" that you are looking to trade down, it is another to publically state it.

It is just like when you are selling something. If there is a perception that you are in a rush to sell something, you are not going to get the best offer available.

I think the Seahawks wanted an early 2nd and a 3rd. That wasn't happening so they decided to take the top guy on their board.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Quote:
And yet none of them were what they wanted. Part of the problem was that they admitted that they wanted to trade down (twice publicly iirc). It is one thing to "leak" that you are looking to trade down, it is another to publically state it.

It is just like when you are selling something. If there is a perception that you are in a rush to sell something, you are not going to get the best offer available.

I think the Seahawks wanted an early 2nd and a 3rd. That wasn't happening so they decided to take the top guy on their board.
The Saints gave up a 2012 first and their second rounder to get Ingram from the Pats. I have to assume that offer was on the table for us as we had a higher pick and I'm sure they were at least slightly concerned about the Patriots taking him. I'm not buying that they didn't have a good offer on the table at all.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

^ I don't get that either. Unless we declined them because we only wanted to get into the 40ish range (so we couldstill get Carpenter).
Old 04-30-2011, 11:54 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Anyway, I do a big write-up every year on the forum and I'll give us a grade then but it's tough to be excited about a class headlined by a RT and OG.

This will not be a well-received draft by the draftniks and "experts" but that doesn't matter. I honestly don't know what the **** we were thinking after the two OL but I'm hoping for the best.

The DBs we added all have size, speed, and potential and Wright could be a good player.

As for Durham, I dislike WR prospects who don't have great production but I do acknowledge his upside. Taking a prospect with about 50 career catches in the 4th round is something I just can't endorse but I hope he proves me wrong.

As a franchise, we are at a crossroads and I'm glad we didn't make a rash decision and invest in a flawed young QB. Hopefully we'll give Whitehurst a chance and if he crashes and burns (which is what EVERYONE is predicting), we'll maybe have a shot at Luck or another QB next year. The other option is Kolb, who we've been linked to recently. I'd rather not, but I wouldn't be furious if we got him. Unfortunately for us, the Rams and 49ers are about to get really good so finding a QB is essential.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I was thinking, watching this draft, that by beating the Saints and thus ensuring that we weren't going to get better through the draft this year, we might very well be in position to take Andrew Luck next April.

Also, I actually like the Durham pick a lot. He gives our offense something it didn't have: a tall target who can get deep fast and make contested catches. He's a pure deep threat.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubflower View Post
I was thinking, watching this draft, that by beating the Saints and thus ensuring that we weren't going to get better through the draft this year, we might very well be in position to take Andrew Luck next April.

Also, I actually like the Durham pick a lot. He gives our offense something it didn't have: a tall target who can get deep fast and make contested catches. He's a pure deep threat.
You arent the only one thinking the Seahawks may be right up there for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes as more than one early 2012 mock i've seen has them picking first.

If they somehow pull that coup off i'm going to consider Pete Carroll a genius, albeit through no fault of his own.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

I'm slowly starting to warm up to these picks, I just really hope that these guys are good or we really ****** ourselves. And we definitely need qb of the future. Whitehurst won't do it and I don't even know who are 3rd qb is. We definitely need to pick one of the top guys next year.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

We only have one QB on the roster at the moment. From the sounds of it, Schneider said that they "have a plan for QB, we just can't execute it right now."

Which means they are either trading or signing a FA QB.

We still need to address the position in the draft next year, preferably early on. I don't think Andrew Luck comes into play though. We won't be able to be that bad in the NFC West unless half the starters just go down with freak injuries.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
We only have one QB on the roster at the moment. From the sounds of it, Schneider said that they "have a plan for QB, we just can't execute it right now."

Which means they are either trading or signing a FA QB.

We still need to address the position in the draft next year, preferably early on. I don't think Andrew Luck comes into play though. We won't be able to be that bad in the NFC West unless half the starters just go down with freak injuries.
If the longterm plan is Kolb i'll be pissed. I think they need to bring in a Palmer and let him play a few years while they groom the heir apparent.