Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Troy Polamalu > Darrelle Revis

I cant' believe I agree with Whitlock again!
But he's right. I have said before that I think Polamalu is the best player in the NFL, QB's included. I think them losing him last year kind of showed that. That defense was not even a shell of it's normal self without his glue back there.

And for the record, Charles Woodson was the best CB in the NFL last year, not Revis.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/B...-Truths-092310
Quote:
6. I'd rather have Troy Polamalu than Darrelle Revis.

I know. That's easy to say right now with the Steelers at 2-0 and Revis on the sideline with a hamstring injury.

But my point is the best safety in football is more valuable than the best corner. I really believe this. The pass interference and illegal contact rules are so restrictive in this era that a big-play safety can have more of an impact than a shutdown corner.

Polamalu, if he remains healthy, is definitely going to create more turnovers than the league's best corner. Polamalu is going to get five to eight interceptions and cause two to four fumbles. Plus, he's going to be an additional linebacker in run support.

Keep an eye on Polamalu for player of the year.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This part might be wrong because Woodson created about 15-20 turnovers last year including a few for TDs the other way.
Quote:
Polamalu, if he remains healthy, is definitely going to create more turnovers than the league's best corner.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posted this in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Ill take Ed Reed over Troy Polamalu 10 times out of 10, and that has nothing to do with being a Ravens fan. Polamalu's most effective years came when he was in that Dick LeBeau 3-4 and he played that "X" role, where has had absolutely 0 responsibility on a huge number of plays. We've seen in recent years when he's asked to play a more traditional cover 2 style, he isn't as effective. I'm not saying he's bad now by any means, but he doesnt really fly all over the field and make crazy tackles like he used to. Thats because before, the scheme allowed him to do whatever the hell he wanted and look good doing it. If you put Reed in that system, its game over for QBs.
Polamalu has nothing on Revis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Saying that he's the best player in the NFL, QBs included, is completely ridiculous.

Best defensive player in the NFL? Maybe. Then again, I'd like to see what he does in a defense without a completely dominating, All-Pro linebacker corps.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
This part might be wrong because Woodson created about 15-20 turnovers last year including a few for TDs the other way.
And the quote here is just stupid. The biggest benefit of having a shutdown CB is no one throwing the god damned ball on his side of the field. How is he supposed to get interceptions if no one throws his way? Obviously Polamalu, who gets to center field half the time, is going to have more turnovers then someone who only makes plays on his half of the field a few times a game.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Too bad Ed Reed has the back of a 100 year old.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I the idea that a anyone would favor Reed in an argument pertaining to a safety freelancing is hilarious.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. Polamalu makes the Steelers one of the or the best best D in the league. Without him they are still good but not great. The guy is a flat out baller. Revis is a great player but he really is getting too much hype IMO

My Raiders Mock

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I agree. Polamalu makes the Steelers one of the or the best best D in the league. Without him they are still good but not great. The guy is a flat out baller. Revis is a great player but he really is getting too much hype IMO
Look at the Steelers front 7, and then look at the Jets front 7. If you take Polamalu away from that Steelers D, I guarantee they still produce at a very high level. You take Revis away from the Jets, and all that fancy stuff Rex Ryan does with his pressure schemes goes to ****. The only reason that defense is so successful is because Revis can shut down his side of the field and it leaves Rex free to be creative.
Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

The wrong word is being used to describe Polamalu. The correct word is "valuable."
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.

Oh no doubt, the difference between a Steelers defense that has Troy and a Steelers defense without him is staggering. Troy Polamalu means more to the Steelers than Revis means to the Jets, Polamalu makes the entire Steelers defense better and the Jets played just fine without Revis in the second half of the Patriots game. In the five games in which Polamalu played, Pittsburgh was 4-1 and allowed an average of 13.8 points per game. In the 11 he missed, they were 5-6 and allowed an average of 23.2. And the yardage numbers mirror the trends of those stats I just posted, the Steelers defense without Troy P is not the superbowl winning defense we fear.
Werowance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.Werowance is a cocksman.

Quote:
Look at the Steelers front 7, and then look at the Jets front 7. If you take Polamalu away from that Steelers D, I guarantee they still produce at a very high level. You take Revis away from the Jets, and all that fancy stuff Rex Ryan does with his pressure schemes goes to ****. The only reason that defense is so successful is because Revis can shut down his side of the field and it leaves Rex free to be creative.
I repeat:
In the five games in which Polamalu played, Pittsburgh was 4-1 and allowed an average of 13.8 points per game. In the 11 he missed, they were 5-6 and allowed an average of 23.2. And the yardage numbers mirror the trends of those stats I just posted, the Steelers defense without Troy P is not the superbowl winning defense we fear.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying who's better but wasn't Pitt's D noticeably worse last year after Troy P was out for the year?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I'm not saying who's better but wasn't Pitt's D noticeably worse last year after Troy P was out for the year?
Yes, it performed considerably worse as I've already pointed out twice in this thread.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry I don't read your posts Thumper.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Again, you guys are forgetting that their front seven is an All-Pro unit. Their entire LB corps is comprised of Pro Bowler types: Harrison, Timmons, Farrior, and Woodley.

Without Polamalu they are still a good defense based on their front seven's ability to stuff the run and rush the passer. With Polamalu, they become elite, as in, one of the top three, if not the best, in the NFL.

Polamalu is the straw that stirs an already very potent drink.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vick > Kolb
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Corner > Safety

Darrelle Revis essentially gives the Jets a 12 man defense, since they don't have to double his guy to shut them down allowing them to have an extra guy against the run or attacking the QB or, although the Jets never do it, an extra guy in coverage somewhere else.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Werowance
Rookie

Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still maintain that a healthy Aaron Smith is more important to the Pitt D than Troy. The two years he's gone down, their defense has turned into an absolute sieve. Troy P was playing when Smith went down in 2007 and their defense was abysmal going down the stretch. Same goes for last year, where he only played in two games.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 09-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Look at the Steelers front 7, and then look at the Jets front 7. If you take Polamalu away from that Steelers D, I guarantee they still produce at a very high level. You take Revis away from the Jets, and all that .....
Wrong.
First, look back to the 2nd half of the Patriots-Jets game last week. Revis was OUT that half, and the Jets bottled up the Patriots, steamrolled them. Also, NT Kris Jenkins is out as well.

Second, they did take Polamalu away from that Steelers D, and they did not produce at a very high level last year.
Rodgers carved them up like a Lions or Browns defense, in Pittsburgh. They had Woodley and Harrison, Big Ben and Hines Ward and Mendenhall... but missing Troy, that defense went from the best, to carvable and out of the playoffs.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werowance View Post
I repeat:
In the five games in which Polamalu played, Pittsburgh was 4-1 and allowed an average of 13.8 points per game. In the 11 he missed, they were 5-6 and allowed an average of 23.2. And the yardage numbers mirror the trends of those stats I just posted, the Steelers defense without Troy P is not the superbowl winning defense we fear.
That would make a great sig for any Steeler fan right there.
Aaron Smith is a fine, hold-the-point-of-attack guy on the Steelers DL.

But Polamalu is the glue, the playmaker. He's without question the most valuable player on the Steelers defense and I believe any team's defense.
The Colts still are great when they miss Sanders at safety. Ed Reed's absence hurts but not as much as TP.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Polamalu is indeed really good and really valuable. Maybe the front runner for DPOY. However, you're cuckoo for cocoa puffs if you think he's more valuable than any QB. Is he better? Well, I don't really know how you compare a QB to a safety. If by "better" you mean he does more than any QB to help his team win, again, cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
hahaha i love it

on a side note, troy polamalu is a ******* beast

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Wrong.
First, look back to the 2nd half of the Patriots-Jets game last week. Revis was OUT that half, and the Jets bottled up the Patriots, steamrolled them. Also, NT Kris Jenkins is out as well.
Not to take away from the Jets, but this was the Patriots second half:

1st down - throw deep to Moss
2nd down - throw deep to Moss
3rd down - check down to Faulk for 3 yards.

or

1st down - rush for 1 yard
2nd down - throw deep to Moss.
3rd down - check down to Faulk for 5 yards.

I think Tom Brady was the Jets best defensive player. At least Sanchez threw at a weaker corner.