Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Great article about the behind the scenes of an NFL Agent

Some very touchy (and illegal) things here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Great read.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very good read! I could never be agent and do stuff I knew was wrong. Hence I'd probably not make a very good one. I feel bad for the guy, especially what Ryan Leaf did to him.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Almost instantly we got some new clients, including troubled Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett (for whom we did some of our best work; a player no team should have touched got taken in the third round)
My favorite part of the article so far.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was a very good read. I have been looking into the sports industry for quite some time now, and for a time was thinking of agenting, but it isn't happening, especially after reading this.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
That was a very good read. I have been looking into the sports industry for quite some time now, and for a time was thinking of agenting, but it isn't happening, especially after reading this.
Yeah, it's certainly not as glamourous as Jerry McGwire or Drew Rosenhaus lead us to believe.

I think a guy needs a case of Tums or Prevacid if in this business. And no conscience would help too.

Santonio Holmes denies it all, LOL. Dude was probably stoned his whole college career, can't remember anything.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a dirty business.

Interesting to see if Kiper loses any credibility bc of this article.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If you were a good player at UCLA, I made a run at you. I tried to get can't-miss NFL left tackle prospect Jonathan Ogden as a client, but he wouldn't take my money. He did, however, go with me to a Janet Jackson concert. My girlfriend got two tickets, and I told her, "Sorry, I need those tickets for J.O. He's a big Janet Jackson fan." Instead of going to the concert with my girlfriend, I went with a 6'9" guy who weighed more than 300 pounds and who screamed "Janet!" the whole night like a teenage girl.
and this

Quote:
I tried to pay UCLA's J.J. Stokes and USC's Keyshawn Johnson, and they said, "No."
Thought that was funny
Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's a dirty business.

ESPN is already looking into it, I just read on twitter.
McShay may take on a more prominent role sooner than later.....
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's a dirty business.

Did you read the responses at the end? Kiper addresses it directly.

Definitely a good read, very interesting stuff.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Ogden part made me laugh too.

The truth is that being an agent is a tough dirty business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
Did you read the responses at the end? Kiper addresses it directly.
Sure, that's what Kiper says.
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...d/Default.aspx

Quote:
Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports that based upon a Sports Illustrated article which includes details of agent Gary Wichard and Mel Kiper Jr.'s releationship, ESPN is looking into those dealing for a potential conflict of interest.

Their relationship could present an ethical dilemma for the all-sports network.

"We just learned of the story today and are looking into it," ESPN said in a statement.

Agent Josh Luchs references Wichard allegedly having Kiper call during a meeting with Stanford defensive tackle Willie Howard.

"Gary and I were talking to Willie in Gary's office when Gary's phone rang, and he put it on speakerphone," Luchs wrote. "'Viper, how are you?' Gary said. That's what he called Mel, Viper or Vipe. 'Viper, I'm sitting here with the best defensive lineman in college football. Do you know who that is?' You must be with Willie Howard,' Mel said."
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If this article means I have to listen to McShay even more then I'll be very upset.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
If this article means I have to listen to McShay even more then I'll be very upset.
It's leading us to more NFL Network coverage perhaps....
Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I don't get NFL Network so that's a problem for me.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mel Kiper is damn near untouchable. He is the Godfather of the NFL Draft and he's the only reason it is what it is today. His name being brought up was the only real surprise.

Great read though. Nothing too surprising. Santonio Holmes denying some illegal activities?!?!?!?! Shocker!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Key Johnson not accepting the money but when he got to the NFL man was he crazzzy.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nothing's gonna happen with Kiper. Whether you like him or not, he's the face of the NFL Draft. ESPN "looking into it" basically means, "Looking into it and then swiftly sweeping it under the rug." Guy's been there forever and is pretty valuable to them come offseason.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather be an agent than a scout. And a superagent instead of a GM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Nothing's gonna happen with Kiper. Whether you like him or not, he's the face of the NFL Draft. ESPN "looking into it" basically means, "Looking into it and then swiftly sweeping it under the rug." Guy's been there forever and is pretty valuable to them come offseason.
I agree. But you never know with corporate sometimes.

Anyone here ever hear of Fred Edelstein?
Jimmy the Greek?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Really? Being an agent is basically like salesman...something I just can't do. I worked for my school's phonathon for one day, had nightmares, and quit the next day.

The money may not be as good but I'd much rather be a scout.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agreed on the first but not the second. I just couldn't pass up the chance to actually GM a team and try and see what I could build.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Agreed on the first but not the second. I just couldn't pass up the chance to actually GM a team and try and see what I could build.
I think being GM would be a much better and more enjoying job than being a superagent. But I think the path to being a superagent would be much, much more enjoyable than the path to being a GM.

Let's face it, though, Mel Kiper has the best job in the business. He's paid handsomely, he's his own brand, he pretty much works for himself, and nobody really cares about his mistakes because people are more focused on the next year's draft.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think being GM would be a much better and more enjoying job than being a superagent. But I think the path to being a superagent would be much, much more enjoyable than the path to being a GM.

Let's face it, though, Mel Kiper has the best job in the business. He's paid handsomely, he's his own brand, he pretty much works for himself, and nobody really cares about his mistakes because people are more focused on the next year's draft.
I'll agree with that first paragraph, as for Mel's job I wouldn't like it, all he can do is study players, he doesn't actually create anything or get to test his knowledge.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'd rather be a position coach.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not surprised at all by all of this, though i love these kinda stories. Wish there was more of em similar to this one. But yeah, anyone who is shocked at the stuff that's said in the article is really naive. Every single program out there has people funneling money to their players. Agents, alumni, boosters, they're all paying kids. Texas is one of the cleanest programs out there, and a buddy of mine once hooked up with Jermichael Finley's ex girlfriend in Austin. She told him boosters would write checks in her name to cash and give to j-mike.