Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
It was a dumb pick either way. Maybe he can be an every down back, maybe he can't. Either way he was profiled as a likely pass receiving/third down back. Those guys are not worth first round picks. If you take one later in the draft and they prove you wrong, great. But if you take a RB in the first round, the easiest position to judge, you better make sure he's an every down RB.
The pick was just fine. Damn near every team was going with two backs...and Felix was outstanding his rookie season, and up to this point in his career. Not to mention, it's what we call a luxury pick. We didnt have many holes to fill and had two 1st round picks that year as well. Felix fit the scheme of things, perfectly. They wanted their own version of some thunder and lightning.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
You really don't remember anything about that draft or the way that teams are drafting running backs right now do you?
The way that teams are drafting RBs right now? Please explain. Very few RBs are worth first rounders. Studs like Peterson obviously. But you better make sure you are getting an every down player when you take one that early. I know everyone drools over Chris Johnson and they should. But he's a special player. Most players that profile in his type aren't worth first rounders.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is an honest question to M.O.T.H...but did you really draft Jones to be a feature back or did you draft him to add another dimension to your offense?

If you drafted him to be your feature back, to me Rashard had a higher grade in that area. If you drafted him as a weapon you could line up all over the field and create mismatches/give him PR duties then he was the correct pick. But right now, he's your future at the RB position with Barber slowing down and I'd rather have Mendenhall if given the choice between who I want to carry the rock from week to week. Regardless of offensive line and whether or not there are holes available, if I'm handing it off 25+ times a week I'm giving it to Mendenhall.

But, I will say this, you can't really judge a player when he hasn't been given ample playing time to prove himself. There's no proof either way on whether or not he's a feature back, so it's probably best to wait and see how he does before I speculate and pigeon hole him into a role.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Steve Smith going to get 13 more yards and win me my fantasy game?

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The way that teams are drafting RBs right now? Please explain. Very few RBs are worth first rounders. Studs like Peterson obviously. But you better make sure you are getting an every down player when you take one that early. I know everyone drools over Chris Johnson and they should. But he's a special player. Most players that profile in his type aren't worth first rounders.
Remind me how many running backs went in the first round that year? Bringing up Chris Johnson in your argument is just ******** as well because he was basically a smaller, slightly faster version of Jones who played against shittier teams in College.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Is Steve Smith going to get 13 more yards and win me my fantasy game?
my money say yes.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kick...it...out...of...bounds.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was down 20 points with Nicks, Manningham and Tynes left to play. I'm now up by 30.
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
This is an honest question to M.O.T.H...but did you really draft Jones to be a feature back or did you draft him to add another dimension to your offense?

If you drafted him to be your feature back, to me Rashard had a higher grade in that area. If you drafted him as a weapon you could line up all over the field and create mismatches/give him PR duties then he was the correct pick. But right now, he's your future at the RB position with Barber slowing down and I'd rather have Mendenhall if given the choice between who I want to carry the rock from week to week. Regardless of offensive line and whether or not there are holes available, if I'm handing it off 25+ times a week I'm giving it to Mendenhall.

But, I will say this, you can't really judge a player when he hasn't been given ample playing time to prove himself. There's no proof either way on whether or not he's a feature back, so it's probably best to wait and see how he does before I speculate and pigeon hole him into a role.
He wasn't drafted to be a feature back. Barber was coming off probably his best season. He was drafted to replace Julia Jones as the 1b to Barber's 1a. Right now, obviously everyone is taking Mendenhall as a feature back, in Dallas' situation I wouldn't trade them though.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I already said that Jones was drafted as a complimentary back to Barber. That was the plan at the beginning. Thunder and Lightning. Most fans werent even considering Mendenhall as a probability. More so guys like Felix, CJ, and Charles....because we knew what our team's plan was. It wasnt really a secret.

But now, Felix should be the featured guy, for sure. He's easily the most talented back on the team. And when he carried the load when Barber went down a year ago, he still was playing fantastic. If it wasnt for Garrett's insane man crush on Barber...Felix would have been starting at the beginning of this year. And Garrett's distribution of carries, has been downright criminal.

Felix may not have been drafted to be a featured back, but he's earned that right now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best scramble ever.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cute sign.

I would have hit that by the way, even with her being a Cowboys fan.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This is pathetic.

This offense is nothing without Romo. How he's survived this long behind that line is a god damn mystery.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Remind me how many running backs went in the first round that year? Bringing up Chris Johnson in your argument is just ******** as well because he was basically a smaller, slightly faster version of Jones who played against shittier teams in College.
Johnson is the exception. Not the rule. He's the once in a decade player like that. Just because a lot of RBs went early , didn't make it smart. I will agree with MOTH though that it was sort of a luxury pick. At the time the Cowboys were good. Bad teams picking RBs early is not a smart decision. No other position on the field's success depends so much on the play of his teammates.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
He wasn't drafted to be a feature back. Barber was coming off probably his best season. He was drafted to replace Julia Jones as the 1b to Barber's 1a. Right now, obviously everyone is taking Mendenhall as a feature back, in Dallas' situation I wouldn't trade them though.
That's part of my argument. You shouldn't be wasting first rounders on a RB to not be your feature back. You can get quality players in that position later in the draft. We see it every year.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gilbride is calling plays like when you know the kid online in Madden keeps running 2-man under every time.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I already said that Jones was drafted as a complimentary back to Barber. That was the plan at the beginning. Thunder and Lightning. Most fans werent even considering Mendenhall as a probability. More so guys like Felix, CJ, and Charles....because we knew what our team's plan was. It wasnt really a secret.

But now, Felix should be the featured guy, for sure. He's easily the most talented back on the team. And when he carried the load when Barber went down a year ago, he still was playing fantastic. If it wasnt for Garrett's insane man crush on Barber...Felix would have been starting at the beginning of this year. And Garrett's distribution of carries, has been downright criminal.

Felix may not have been drafted to be a featured back, but he's earned that right now.
Did Dallas actually expect Mendenhall to fall to them? Or did they just assume he'd be gone by then and focused on Jones-type players?

I understand you had a plan, but there are exceptions when guys fall and re-evaluation needs to take place. If they had a higher grade on Mendenhall that's who they should have selected. Did he compliment Barber as well as Jones? No, but I'm sure he would've been fine and to be honest Rashard is quite explosive for his size. Not Felix Jones explosive, but he outran USC's entire secondary in the Rose Bowl. Rashard was far from a stiff, bruising type back. He certainly had that power potential because he's a ******* man child, but he has quick feet and good top end speed. The only thing against him was that Felix was more versatile out of the backfield and on returns.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2010, 11:23 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You wouldn't make him kick it again?

This coaching staff truly is pathetic.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I don't think RB is even in the top 20 problems this team has...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
The only thing against him was that Felix was more versatile out of the backfield and on returns.
And he went to Arkansas.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:25 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Hey, I think they broke 100 total yards on that play. Or, maybe not.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Oh come on. That's not a personal foul.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Did Dallas actually expect Mendenhall to fall to them? Or did they just assume he'd be gone by then and focused on Jones-type players?

I understand you had a plan, but there are exceptions when guys fall and re-evaluation needs to take place. If they had a higher grade on Mendenhall that's who they should have selected. Did he compliment Barber as well as Jones? No, but I'm sure he would've been fine and to be honest Rashard is quite explosive for his size. Not Felix Jones explosive, but he outran USC's entire secondary in the Rose Bowl. Rashard was far from a stiff, bruising type back. He certainly had that power potential because he's a ******* man child, but he has quick feet and good top end speed. The only thing against him was that Felix was more versatile out of the backfield and on returns.
When Dallas was on Hard Knocks...they showed the war room discussion. They weighed both options...but felt Felix was the better fit for what they were looking for and needed. At the time, Barber was still a hell of a player. They wanted a speed back to compliment him, not a similar, to a point, type of running back. Felix was more of the dynamic playmaker and speed guy, they were seeking.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
And he went to Arkansas.
Garrett actually had the final say on it. He was the one in war room talking up Felix over Mendenhall for his offense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS