Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-11-2006, 11:07 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroney22
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by javon favre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpigskin
NO WAY... nobody in the modern era will hit .400

there should be no votes for yes
If anyone votes yes there dumb
Why? This kid is simply amazing and while I agree that he definitely won't hit 400, there's always a chance. Plus the fact that he can hit lefties and righties almost equally gives him an extra edge.

hes amazing. I thought we were supposed to be so dumb for passing on Prior?
Don't forget trading AJ...alot of people were displeased with that too.

I agree with PL...he'll hit .360 max...but likely lower mid .300's

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:08 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no chance, only chance was back like ten years when Gywnn and walker were goign at it.
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Maroney22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why? This kid is simply amazing and while I agree that he definitely won't hit 400, there's always a chance. Plus the fact that he can hit lefties and righties almost equally gives him an extra edge.

I think he can bat 360-370. It seems like he hits the ball hard every at bat even when he gets out. He can hit it to any field and is good at hitting it the other way
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well the only reason minnesota didnt take mauer was that they couldnt afford him.

Joe mauer never struck out in high school
Maroney22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChess
no chance, only chance was back like ten years when Gywnn and walker were goign at it.

Nomar flirted a couple years back
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sport has gotten to the point where you can't trust any of the players. Because like a couple people have mentioned on here, they can't test for HGH (Jason Grimsley's PHD), so unless you catch them in the act or you have to catch them having some in their homes, etc...

I've just grown sick of that sport and the corruption of the game. That doesn't go to say though that Baseball is the only corrupt sport in America....

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej
He's the only good hitter on the Twins. I wish we could keep him, Liriano, Santana, and Nathan and just trade away everyone else.

Morneau is a beast of a power hitter
If by beast, you mean overrated I agree with you. 1 HR per 17 AB is not beast-like. A .485 SLG is not beast-like. A career 1 HR per 19 AB is not beast-like. A career .466 SLG is not beast-like. Those numbers are not bad but I am sick of hearing from people that Morneau is this insane power hitter.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:15 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
Quote:
Quote:
He's the only good hitter on the Twins. I wish we could keep him, Liriano, Santana, and Nathan and just trade away everyone else.

If by beast, you mean overrated I agree with you. 1 HR per 17 AB is not beast-like. A .485 SLG is not beast-like. A career 1 HR per 19 AB is not beast-like. A career .466 SLG is not beast-like. Those numbers are not bad but I am sick of hearing from people that Morneau is this insane power hitter.
i like a man who supports his arguments with stats and cold hard facts.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Maroney22

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

give me a break we havent had a 30 home run hitter in like 873 years. He is on pace for about 35
Old 06-11-2006, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

He better, he's on my fantasy team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:27 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

give me a break we havent had a 30 home run hitter in like 873 years. He is on pace for about 35
Again, he is a good power hitter, not a great one. 35 is a good season, but not a great season. The 22 he hit last year were rather disappointing.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:28 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree man. The thing about him, is that he has an unbelievable amount of power, which is showcased by his ability to drive the ball over the fence going the other way. The thing about him though, is that he is a consistent underachiever and simply gets on those "cold streaks" far too often. If he is able to acquire the ability to choose his pitches more carefully and gain more consistency with his swing, he will become a big time power hitter and give the twins the power in the middle of their lineup that they've lacked for too long. That's a real big if though. Sadly to tell you the truth, I could see him continue to underachieve with the Twins, then blow up as a superstar once he joins another team ala Big Papi.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 AM    (permalink
Tobzilla
Pro Bowler

Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree man. The thing about him, is that he has an unbelievable amount of power, which is showcased by his ability to drive the ball over the fence going the other way. The thing about him though, is that he is a consistent underachiever and simply gets on those "cold streaks" far too often. If he is able to acquire the ability to choose his pitches more carefully and gain more consistency with his swing, he will become a big time power hitter and give the twins the power in the middle of their lineup that they've lacked for too long. That's a real big if though. Sadly to tell you the truth, I could see him continue to underachieve with the Twins, then blow up as a superstar once he joins another team ala Big Papi.
Yeah, hopefully he will gain consistency as he ages and grows as a hitter.

Now on Mauer. Why exactly cant someone hit 400 nowadays. Im not saying he will but I hate it when people say that its different now when ten years ago Gwynn had a chance to get it.

Mauer is going to be the best average hitter in the majors who will eventually gain power. Right now he has the ability to swing with power but chooses to hit situationally. Watch him hit the ball when he's up with two outs and nobody on base, then you will realize he can hit for power.

What Mauer is doing at such a young age is simply amazing. I cant wait to watch him grow as a hitter while leading Minny to a WS (hopefully).

PM me for sig requests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Connery View Post
Suck it Trebek!
Tobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 AM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he might get there but batting average goes down a lot faster than it goes up.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Where? Over there? Irony...
Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Oh and he's not going to do it. Everyone gets hot over stretches. I swear, I've seen Manny Ramirez go on 3-4 week stretches where he hits like .600, so Mauer having a good month stretch is what it is: a good month stretch. But he's a catcher, and if some of the best pure hitters in the game like Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs or George Brett couldn't do it, I'm not seeing a 23 year old catcher doing it.

He's going to start getting tired over time with all the catching and he's just not going to get there. I mean, he's not even there now. He's going to comete for the batting title at this pace, but .400 ain't happening. Too much of a marathon...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:00 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i can't believe there's a .400 discussion in fricking june.

my dog is on pace for .465, 78 home runs and 237 RBIs right now.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:09 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just think he was supposed to be the starting QB for FSU. I guess he made the right choice.

No way Mauer hits .400. He is great young player, but lets wait for someone to be hitting .400 before we start talking about it.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:33 AM    (permalink
SidneyG
Rookie

SidneyG hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No way does Maur hit .400 . First of all he is a catcher and by mid August when it is hot as fire he will be dead tired. You also have to factor in the speed factor Maur is fast for a catcher but I think you have to be able to get some bunt hits and infield singles to have a good shot at .400. Not to say that Maur is not becoming a good catcher because he is but I think hitting .400 is a bit unrealistic.
SidneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:44 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Just think he was supposed to be the starting QB for FSU. I guess he made the right choice.

No way Mauer hits .400. He is great young player, but lets wait for someone to be hitting .400 before we start talking about it.
He was the number 1 rated QB in the country coming out of high school, but yeah even then, I think he made the right choice.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 AM    (permalink
BIG7BEN
Veteran

BIG7BEN hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Re: Will Joe Mauer hit .400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC 510
Going into today he's batting .388 and it's rising fast. Will he it .400?
yea right!!!

he will hit .340 at the most in my opinin

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobzilla
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, hopefully he will gain consistency as he ages and grows as a hitter.

Now on Mauer. Why exactly cant someone hit 400 nowadays. Im not saying he will but I hate it when people say that its different now when ten years ago Gwynn had a chance to get it.

Mauer is going to be the best average hitter in the majors who will eventually gain power. Right now he has the ability to swing with power but chooses to hit situationally. Watch him hit the ball when he's up with two outs and nobody on base, then you will realize he can hit for power.

What Mauer is doing at such a young age is simply amazing. I cant wait to watch him grow as a hitter while leading Minny to a WS (hopefully).
I don't think it will be unreachable for someone nowadays, except I think we are all sick of talks of .400 through 2 1/2 months of the season. Do you know how many players have flirted with .400 through June or July the past 10 years? Most of them get the pressure on them towards the end of the season and hit in the mid-.300's. Comparing Mauer to Gwynn is a travesty. Tony Gwynn was one of the best hitters of the 90's, Mauer isn't even one of the best hitters in baseball- yet. Bonds flirted with it a few years ago and he's a top 3 hitter of this era. I'm sorry but if guys like Gwynn and Bonds can't get it in their primes I'm not going to believe a young catcher who isn't in his prime is going to have a chance. Also, the fact that he is a catcher works against him. Being a catcher is the most grueling position in baseball, it provides a lot of wear and tear on the body. I know there have been many catchers who still have hit at the end of the season, but the chances are less likely.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Maroney22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneyG
No way does Maur hit .400 . First of all he is a catcher and by mid August when it is hot as fire he will be dead tired. You also have to factor in the speed factor Maur is fast for a catcher but I think you have to be able to get some bunt hits and infield singles to have a good shot at .400. Not to say that Maur is not becoming a good catcher because he is but I think hitting .400 is a bit unrealistic.

The thing about that is he Dh's sometimes because Mike Redmond is hitting even better than him
Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Morneau blows.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Maroney22

Quote:
Morneau blows.

actaully not really? Hes on pace to hit more homers than anyone on the twins since like 1856? Care to back up that weak statement with something?