Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Brian Dawkins place in among safety's?

Just wondering what his place is.. Considering he's made quite a few pro bowl & all pro teams

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:25 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As an Eagles fan, I'm somewhat biased, but his place among safeties is way up on the list. I'm not going to go all out homer and say he is the best Safety to ever play the game, but he is a man who will get into the HOF, and if it were up to me, it'd be first ballot. That said, it may be tough to make first ballot HOF for him, but it is definitely possible. In his prime he was an elite force in every aspect of his game, and even now is still a feared member of the secondary. As far as his "place in history", I'd say he is right in the second tier of greatest Safeties.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dawkins helped redefine the position of FS. He was amazingly effective in coverage and at the line of scrimmage. In his prime, he covered amazing amounts of ground. His numbers stack up well, and he's the only safety with 20+ INT's and 20+ sacks in his career. He was the best or one of the best safeties in football for about 10 years. Might not be a first ballot HOFer, but he will make it to Canton eventually.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:44 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't matter, pure safeties rarely make it into Canton, no matter who they are.

Darren Woodson, Steve Atwater, John Lynch, etc. and endless names I'm certainly forgetting are on par with kickers and special teamers when it comes to HOF voters.

We'll see if safeties start to receive more consideration as times passes, but I doubt it.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woodson will eventually make it as a CB/S. He has the numbers and the titles. Dawkins was a revolutionary type of safety. He will eventually make it. I believe he had a greater impact and for longer than Atwater and Lynch. He is likely the best of his generation.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Dawkins helped redefine the position of FS. He was amazingly effective in coverage and at the line of scrimmage. In his prime, he covered amazing amounts of ground. His numbers stack up well, and he's the only safety with 20+ INT's and 20+ sacks in his career. He was the best or one of the best safeties in football for about 10 years. Might not be a first ballot HOFer, but he will make it to Canton eventually.
Oh, hi... My name is Rodney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there may be 3 or 4 safeties with 20 and 20, but Harrison is the only with 30 and 30, and Dawk is the only with 20 sacks and 35 INTs. At least I think, its been a while since I looked at any of it. Either way, its a great accomplishment, for both of them.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Oh, hi... My name is Rodney.

Show him as a Charger. That is where he did his real damage. Rodney was my all-time favorite prior to his NE days...

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Show him as a Charger. That is where he did his real damage. Rodney was my all-time favorite prior to his NE days...
He was damn good in NE and actually showcased his abilities in the playoffs where he was a ******* beast. Probably one of the most underrated safeties over the last 15 years. I think he's a HOFer.

With Dawkins "generation" of safeties I would rank him 3rd/4th (really a toss up with Harrison imo).

1. Ed Reed
2. Tory Polamalu
3. Rodney Harrison
4. Brian Dawkins
5. Darren Sharper
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
He was damn good in NE and actually showcased his abilities in the playoffs where he was a ******* beast. Probably one of the most underrated safeties over the last 15 years. I think he's a HOFer.

With Dawkins "generation" of safeties I would rank him 3rd/4th (really a toss up with Harrison imo).

1. Ed Reed
2. Tory Polamalu
3. Rodney Harrison
4. Brian Dawkins
5. Darren Sharper
Ed Reed isn't in brian dawkins generation, he's five years younger (as is Troy) and isnt even close to the run supporting safety dawkins is. Reed is a playmaker, a ballhawk, an amazing cover safety, but he isnt near dawkins or harrison in run defense.

Dawkins wasn't used as a rover like Troy and Harrison were as well, he isn't in any way better than either, but he's no joke- he's vicious against run and pass and was the heart of his team for a very long time. I dont like the eagles, but i sure as hell respect Dawkins

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

1. Ed Reed
2. Tory Polamalu
3. Rodney Harrison
4. Brian Dawkins
5. Darren Sharper
who the f*ck is Tory?

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I think there may be 3 or 4 safeties with 20 and 20, but Harrison is the only with 30 and 30, and Dawk is the only with 20 sacks and 35 INTs. At least I think, its been a while since I looked at any of it. Either way, its a great accomplishment, for both of them.
There are 3 currently playing. Dawkins, Adrian Wilson and Lawyer Milloy.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would argue that Dawkins is the "Ray Lewis" of safeties, all heart and soul, clearly from a leadership perspective one of the top safeties of all time (Harrison is in the conversation as well), smart, and he produced. If I had a vote for the Hall his name would be on it all ready...
Better in coverage than Troy, but not as good as Reed or Sharper, good in run support just below Troy and Harrison, but not more than a hair or two behind, over all I would put him behind Troy and Reed at #3 overall, and if Reed didnt control the air like he does, I would put him at #2 overall. In regards to this current generation in general.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think like a lot of Safeties he may struggle when it comes to the Hall. I don't believe he's a first ballot Hall of Famer. He's right in the same group as Rodney Harrison, John Lynch etc IMO(just to clarify I believe Harrison would be most deserving as he has the stats, his play spoke for itself and the rings). However there were great safeties passed over and when it comes down they may have to compete directly with Ed Reed and Polamalu who are almost definite first ballot HoFers

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
Ed Reed isn't in brian dawkins generation, he's five years younger (as is Troy) and isnt even close to the run supporting safety dawkins is. Reed is a playmaker, a ballhawk, an amazing cover safety, but he isnt near dawkins or harrison in run defense.

Dawkins wasn't used as a rover like Troy and Harrison were as well, he isn't in any way better than either, but he's no joke- he's vicious against run and pass and was the heart of his team for a very long time. I dont like the eagles, but i sure as hell respect Dawkins
I think the top 4 players I listed deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I think they're all among the best safeties to ever play. That includes Dawkins. I put Dawkins in with Reed and Troy since Dawkins is still playing, and he was playing at a high level while Reed and Troy were playing at a high level. I used the word generation loosely (see quotation marks). They all played during the same time period. That, simply put, is a generation.

Reed didn't have to be up in the box. That wasn't his job. He could do it, but he was on a defense talented enough to utilize his ball hawking skills and take away the deep ball. Reed wasn't just a ballhawk, he was the best ballhawk to ever play and no one else is even close. Sean Taylor would have probably developed into that kind of rare ballhawk. Dawkins wasn't the best run support safety. He was a complete player, but not necessarily a better player than Reed. With that said, I think Dawkins is one of the best 5 or 10 safeties of all time and a guy who should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is one of my favorite players, but so is Troy Polamalu, Rodney Harrison and Ed Reed.

My list would be:

1. Ronnie Lott
2. Ed Reed
3. Troy Polamalu
4. Rodney Harrison
5. Brian Dawkins
6. Steve Atwater
7. Jack Tatum
8. Larry Wilson
9. John Lynch
10. Darren Sharper

I think the top 8 are all Hall of Fame caliber players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
molenguinurtle
Rookie

molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think the top 4 players I listed deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I think they're all among the best safeties to ever play. That includes Dawkins. I put Dawkins in with Reed and Troy since Dawkins is still playing, and he was playing at a high level while Reed and Troy were playing at a high level. I used the word generation loosely (see quotation marks). They all played during the same time period. That, simply put, is a generation.

Reed didn't have to be up in the box. That wasn't his job. He could do it, but he was on a defense talented enough to utilize his ball hawking skills and take away the deep ball. Reed wasn't just a ballhawk, he was the best ballhawk to ever play and no one else is even close. Sean Taylor would have probably developed into that kind of rare ballhawk. Dawkins wasn't the best run support safety. He was a complete player, but not necessarily a better player than Reed. With that said, I think Dawkins is one of the best 5 or 10 safeties of all time and a guy who should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is one of my favorite players, but so is Troy Polamalu, Rodney Harrison and Ed Reed.

My list would be:

1. Ronnie Lott
2. Ed Reed
3. Troy Polamalu
4. Rodney Harrison
5. Brian Dawkins
6. Steve Atwater
7. Jack Tatum
8. Larry Wilson
9. John Lynch
10. Darren Sharper

I think the top 8 are all Hall of Fame caliber players.
Am I the only one that thinks Troy Polamalu is slightly overrated?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenguinurtle View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Troy Polamalu is slightly overrated?
If you're dominating games as a safety, you cannot be overrated IMO

that list above is slightly out of whack though, where is Ken Houston
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
His numbers stack up well, and he's the only safety with 20+ INT's and 20+ sacks in his career.
Adrian Wilson also has 20/20

Last edited by fenikz : 11-03-2010 at 12:35 AM.
fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why should I care about sacks for a safety? They are nice but I can't see them as being of any importance when debating who is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
molenguinurtle
Rookie

molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.molenguinurtle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
If you're dominating games as a safety, you cannot be overrated IMO

that list above is slightly out of whack though, where is Ken Houston
I agree, it's just that I think Troy should be at least behind other game dominating safeties like Harrison and Dawkins.

Also, where is Emlen Tunnel?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post

4 Safeties 6 LBs and 1 CB in the 20/20 club.

Adrian Wilson joined in 2009 and Lawyer Milloy joined earlier this year.

Wilson was actually the fastest safety to join the club. He joined in his 9th season as a pro, Harrison in his 10th, Dawkins in his 13th and Milloy in his 15th.

Also, Dawkins is the only safety in the 20/20/20 club (the last 20 being fumbles forced.)

Last edited by XxXdragonXxX : 11-03-2010 at 12:27 AM.
XxXdragonXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that the general legacy of Dawkins would be significantly different had the Eagles managed to win a Superbowl. There was a time where Dawkins was the unquestioned leader of one of the best defenses in the NFL, a unit who's versatility was matched perfectly by Dawkins' ability to do just about everything. Behind Raw Lewis, I'd venture that he's the most recognized defender of the last 10 years for his leadership and playoff performances.

Dawkins was a pretty awesome player, but maybe his versatility hurt him. He wasn't like Polamalu, who's just awesome within 10 yards of the LOS, nor was he was he like Reed, who made plays on the ball at a higher rate than basically any defensive back since Rod Woodson. He was somewhere in between, which puts him in a somewhat nebulous area.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would argue he should be a first ballot HOFer. I think the safety position has changed in this last generation and with the evolution of the passing game safety has become even more important.

Just have a look at the top defensive teams of the past decade and you will find Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New England are just about the top 4. Not some shock that the names Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins and Harrison go hand in hand with that.

Cardinals defense has been pretty damn good the last few years, around the same time that Wilson became a star. With Sanders the Colts are a good defense, without they are woeful. Patriots current unit seems to ebb and flow with Merriweather. The Titans seem to ebb and flow with Griffin. With Sharper the Saints are a turnover machine, without him they are a walkover.

Safeties have become pivotal and I think that should be reflected by the HOF. Just as people will list that only x WR have gotten in they do it with safeties, the game has changed though, there are probably only 3 or 4 RBs in the league and the last few years who have put together or look like possibly putting together HOF careers, ditto for LBs. You could argue that right now that Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware are the only two LBs in the entire league under 30 that are likely HOF guys(I'm probably forgetting someone) but the league has changed in the last 10 years and I think the HOF should reflect that.

For mine Dawkins, Reed and Harrison should already be 1st ballot HOF players and Polamalu is 2nd ballot on the doorstep of 1st. I guess the question should extend if guys like Sharper or Lynch also have a case. Sharper was a great ball hawk who has really elevated his career the last two years after being below average in Minnesota, what is going for him is that even when he was playing very poorly in Minnesota he was putting up stats which when looked back on will look good.

Going to be very interesting, the HOF and the NFL in general have shown to be very resistant to change and adapting to it so will be interesting to see how delayed their reaction to the changing game is and I think WR and S will be the two positions that will reflect the change when/if it happens.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM    (permalink
molenguinurtle
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I would argue he should be a first ballot HOFer. I think the safety position has changed in this last generation and with the evolution of the passing game safety has become even more important.

Just have a look at the top defensive teams of the past decade and you will find Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New England are just about the top 4. Not some shock that the names Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins and Harrison go hand in hand with that.

Cardinals defense has been pretty damn good the last few years, around the same time that Wilson became a star. With Sanders the Colts are a good defense, without they are woeful. Patriots current unit seems to ebb and flow with Merriweather. The Titans seem to ebb and flow with Griffin. With Sharper the Saints are a turnover machine, without him they are a walkover.

Safeties have become pivotal and I think that should be reflected by the HOF. Just as people will list that only x WR have gotten in they do it with safeties, the game has changed though, there are probably only 3 or 4 RBs in the league and the last few years who have put together or look like possibly putting together HOF careers, ditto for LBs. You could argue that right now that Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware are the only two LBs in the entire league under 30 that are likely HOF guys(I'm probably forgetting someone) but the league has changed in the last 10 years and I think the HOF should reflect that.

For mine Dawkins, Reed and Harrison should already be 1st ballot HOF players and Polamalu is 2nd ballot on the doorstep of 1st. I guess the question should extend if guys like Sharper or Lynch also have a case. Sharper was a great ball hawk who has really elevated his career the last two years after being below average in Minnesota, what is going for him is that even when he was playing very poorly in Minnesota he was putting up stats which when looked back on will look good.

Going to be very interesting, the HOF and the NFL in general have shown to be very resistant to change and adapting to it so will be interesting to see how delayed their reaction to the changing game is and I think WR and S will be the two positions that will reflect the change when/if it happens.
I pretty much co-sign this whole post.

As an aside, I've always said the biggest difference between the colts and the bears that year was that Bob Sanders played and Mike Brown didn't.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXdragonXxX View Post
4 Safeties 6 LBs and 1 CB in the 20/20 club.

Adrian Wilson joined in 2009 and Lawyer Milloy joined earlier this year.

Wilson was actually the fastest safety to join the club. He joined in his 9th season as a pro, Harrison in his 10th, Dawkins in his 13th and Milloy in his 15th.

Also, Dawkins is the only safety in the 20/20/20 club (the last 20 being fumbles forced.)
That is probably what bsaza was thinking of when he had the 20/20 post. I remember seeing that two years ago too.