Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Archuleta Traded to Bears

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10070560

Before Moss is dealt -- and it now looks as if it is only a matter of time before it happens -- one of the next players expected to be traded is Washington's safety Adam Archuleta, who will most likely wind up in Chicago.

Archuleta is expected to be traded for a mid-round conditional pick that could improve for Washington depending on how well the safety performs. The trade would help the Redskins recoup a draft pick in an off season when Washington would like to add as many as possible.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Is he going to play LB?

I don't think he fits very well at S in a cover 2....as he can't cover to save his life.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FYI there is more to it if you click the link.

"Smith likely would plan to play Archuleta closer to the line of scrimmage, as a weapon against the run, rather than ask him to be a center fielder against the pass."
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It makes sense. Lovie tried to get him before Washington threw a ridiculous amount of money at him.

He provides depth at SS, which is an integral piece to the Tampa 2 scheme, and he's thick enough to hold the fort as the run stopper of the scheme over the course of the season.

He also had his best years in the Tampa 2 under Lovie Smith.

He could be a poor man's John Lynch, it could work. He didn't work in Washington because Lewis ran Cover 2 opposed to Tampa 2, and they had no pass rush out of their front 4.

This would be an excellent signing for the Bears. Lovie can make Arch work, I guarantee it. If not, then Arch won't work anywhere. But he has potential in Chicago.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have to give up too much for him, in all it's worth a shot.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was hoping to pick him up if the Redskins were planning on cutting him but Im not so keen about actually giving up a conditional pick for him. I don't know how we would handle his ridiculous contract. I agree that if he is going to work anywhere it is going to be in Chicago under Lovie Smith. But shouldnt that drive his value down to the point where we can get him for pennies and not a midrounder?
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
I don't know how we would handle his ridiculous contract.
"Before Washington trades Archuleta, it is first trying to restructure the safety's contract so as to soften his salary-cap blow once he is dealt."
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
I was hoping to pick him up if the Redskins were planning on cutting him but Im not so keen about actually giving up a conditional pick for him. I don't know how we would handle his ridiculous contract. I agree that if he is going to work anywhere it is going to be in Chicago under Lovie Smith. But shouldnt that drive his value down to the point where we can get him for pennies and not a midrounder?
Thats the thing. With the safety depth in this draft, this move only makes sense if you can sign him after the Redskins cut him. Theres no point in trading for him. Theres plenty of guys in the draft that can be more productive and cheaper than Arch.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it. If it's a conditional pick it'll only be sent if he pans out, which I'd say is about 50-50 right now.

People forget that before he was a one year bust in Washington he was a starting safety in St.Louis in the cover 2 for years. He had his best years under Lovie in St.Louis and should have come to the Bears last year. We need the safety depth if Mike Brown gets hurt so I'm all for it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
"Before Washington trades Archuleta, it is first trying to restructure the safety's contract so as to soften his salary-cap blow once he is dealt."
Thanks. Missed that before. If he is willing to play special teams he could at the very least be an upgrade to Todd Johnson who we let go in FA. Him returning to form under the tutelage of Lovie Smith is a fun thought. We would have more flexibility in the draft and could hold off drafting a future SS if the value isnt there.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Thats the thing. With the safety depth in this draft, this move only makes sense if you can sign him after the Redskins cut him. Theres no point in trading for him. Theres plenty of guys in the draft that can be more productive and cheaper than Arch.
Very true statement. However, you cannot discount the familiarity factor.
Lovie helped develop Arch into the playmaker he is. He knows exactly what he's getting and how it will fit in his system. Arch didn't play a lot in 2006, so he's also moderately fresh as well. I like the fit because of Lovie's familiarity with Arch. If they can get him at a bargain price, it would probably be a good deal. I would imagine the asking price is not high. Well done, Redskins!

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
FYI there is more to it if you click the link.

"Smith likely would plan to play Archuleta closer to the line of scrimmage, as a weapon against the run, rather than ask him to be a center fielder against the pass."
Which is key b/c that's Archuleta's game and Washington tried to turn him into something he's not.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
That would only benefit the Redskins. They would have take a cap hit for all of his remaining signing bonus plus his roster bonus, as it stands now, the Bears would only have to worry about his base salary, which I believe is fairly cheap for the next two season. Then they could cut him with out taking a cap hit.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't Archeleta play for Lovie when he was with the Rams???
Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a thought: read the thread before posting in it.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Here's a thought: read the thread before posting in it.
That's an interesting concept. :)

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Very true statement. However, you cannot discount the familiarity factor.
Lovie helped develop Arch into the playmaker he is. He knows exactly what he's getting and how it will fit in his system. Arch didn't play a lot in 2006, so he's also moderately fresh as well. I like the fit because of Lovie's familiarity with Arch. If they can get him at a bargain price, it would probably be a good deal. I would imagine the asking price is not high. Well done, Redskins!
Not to mention that despite his faults in coverage, Archuleta has been a very productive safety. He's a great tackler at the line and if used properly can be effective in blitz packages as well.

We really don't run a standard cover 2 because Urlacher drops back so far in coverage on passing downs that we essentially have three safties back there.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly. If you deploy him in a way that fits with your team's scheme, Arch will be a very productive player. He will never be an all-pro, but he will be productive and potentially pro-bowl worthy in his very best years. He's a bottom of the second-tier safety in the NFL. Not a bad place to be, and certainly he is good enough to start for the Bears.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Exactly. If you deploy him in a way that fits with your team's scheme, Arch will be a very productive player. He will never be an all-pro, but he will be productive and potentially pro-bowl worthy in his very best years. He's a bottom of the second-tier safety in the NFL. Not a bad place to be, and certainly he is good enough to start for the Bears.
Actually he wouldn't start. We just need someone to replace Todd Johnson as our backup SS and serve as insurance in case Mike Brown gets hurt (again).

Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Not to mention that despite his faults in coverage, Archuleta has been a very productive safety. He's a great tackler at the line and if used properly can be effective in blitz packages as well.

We really don't run a standard cover 2 because Urlacher drops back so far in coverage on passing downs that we essentially have three safties back there.
Technically thats Tampa 2. I use both terms loosely myself and often say Cover 2 in reference to Tampa 2.

The thing with Arch is, if he does go to Chicago, that puts added pressure on Manning to hold the fort at FS, something he had a little trouble with at the end of the season.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

With the pressure the Bears are able to put on the passer, usually rushing only 4, Arch is a good mid-range cover guy and a very good run stuffer. With the upfield pressure from the DLine, some draws and screens can hurt the Cover 2/Tampa 2 D. Power running and good run blocking is also useful agaisnt these schemes. Adding a true run support safety could help the Bears significantly.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

The Bears would probably move Brown back to FS where he will probably have a better chance of staying healthy. Manning then could stay at safty or they might move him to CB to help ease the eventual loss of either Tillman or Vasher.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

That doesn't really make sense to me. They invested a first day pick and handed the safety job over to Manning last year. That got them to the Super Bowl. While he did wear down a little, moving him or platooning him will only stunt his development. I don't like that course of action at all. To me, the injury-prone Brown could be out or relegated to a reserve role. He is getting older and has not been as effective due to injury.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

There was not a lot of competion for him to beat out to get the starting spot. The Bears could still keep him at safty. Brown is often injured, and Archuleta wont last long before he would be a finacial burden for the Bears.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Stunting the growth of a second year player by benching him after an acceptable rookie campaign is really not a good idea. That's something the Redskins would do. The Bears are a better run organization, and I would expect them to keep Manning in the starting lineup. If Arch comes over, I would foresee Brown becoming a reserve or being released or traded.