Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Draft Scenario

I think the trade down scenario is being blown out of proportion. Everyone looks to trade down, but the chances of it actually happening are only about 5-10%(give or take a few).

But what if the lions can't trade down? What if Arizona isn't willing to give up like 3 or 4 draft picks in order to get Joe Thomas??? I'd like to hear some of your guys thoughts on who they should take if they can't trade down.

Mine are one of CJ, Russell or Joe Thomas. There is no defensive player worthy of being picked that high, even if there is a need.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Take Calvin Johnson. Someone will trade with us. I'm damn sure of it.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think it's CJ or Thomas if they have to use #2. I am getting the feeling that the Lions really like Stanton better than Russell or Quinn anyway.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can't trade down:

My first round pick depends a lot on our thoughts on our second round pick. That may sound weird, but I wish we could see who fell to us in Round 2 to determine what we take in Round 1. I know its impossible, but if Blalock and Grubbs and Staley are off the board in Round 2 our O-line is still in trouble IMO if we don't sign Mulitalo in FA as well. Then I would take Joe Thomas in Round 1.

I would also like to see what cornerbacks fell into Round 2 because then we might opt not to take Stanton if we were planning on taking Stanton in Round 2. If a good corner fell and no guards/Staley available, then I might consider Brady Quinn in Round 1 and a corner in Round 2 and DE or MLB in Round 3 and DE/MLB in Round 4.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree that we should take CJ21 SOMEONE will trade with us

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootland27 View Post
I think the trade down scenario is being blown out of proportion. Everyone looks to trade down, but the chances of it actually happening are only about 5-10%(give or take a few).

But what if the lions can't trade down? What if Arizona isn't willing to give up like 3 or 4 draft picks in order to get Joe Thomas??? I'd like to hear some of your guys thoughts on who they should take if they can't trade down.

Mine are one of CJ, Russell or Joe Thomas. There is no defensive player worthy of being picked that high, even if there is a need.
The chance of trading down may be "5-10%" overall... but the chance for the Lions to trade down this year... without a true target in the top 5 and the quality of players available at the #2 pick... is a much larger percentage. Millen WANTS to trade down, teams know that, and many great players will be available at that pick. So, I think there's a much greater chance to trade down than you're suggesting.

Regardless, if they decide to stay put, I think they'll target Gaines Adams or Joe Thomas with the #2 pick. If they want a QB, it'll be Stanton in round 2. Each player fills a huge hole on the team: JThomas solidifies the OLine and GAdams adds a huge pass-rush to the defense.

I DON'T think it'll be CJ, Russell, Peterson or Quinn... but I know they'll be a team willing to trade up for most of them.

(CJ will NOT be drafted by the Lions unless Marinelli leaves the team prior to the draft.)
Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It should be Calvin Johnson, to force a trade.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm telling you guys though, the Lions could do worse than to end up with CJ. If there's no possibility of trading with Cleveland, then the Lions need to call Tampa and rake them over the coals. If they call our bluff, draft CJ. Then call them back and say the offer's still on the table. Then if they say OK we'll just take Okoye, we can still possibly shop him lower down, or if not, then we ended up with the best prospect in the draft and a guy with no foreseeable character concerns like with CRog and MW. Oh and then we will never see another double-team on Roy ever ever again.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
It should be Calvin Johnson, to force a trade.
Precisely . . . someone will want him. Some teams must just think we are gnna pass on him. Let's not make it that easy on them.

By taking him, we either get to demand a high price for him, having already secured his rights, or we keep him and enjoy having the best player in this draft.

Win-Win
Old 03-20-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

I would not mind us drafting Cal. If all else fails, we get the best prospect in the draft. Tampa would have to trade with us if we picked him. If not, 30 other teams will be calling and asking about what we plan to do.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSmack View Post
I'm telling you guys though, the Lions could do worse than to end up with CJ. If there's no possibility of trading with Cleveland, then the Lions need to call Tampa and rake them over the coals. If they call our bluff, draft CJ. Then call them back and say the offer's still on the table. Then if they say OK we'll just take Okoye, we can still possibly shop him lower down, or if not, then we ended up with the best prospect in the draft and a guy with no foreseeable character concerns like with CRog and MW. Oh and then we will never see another double-team on Roy ever ever again.
I'm actually starting to accept this suggestion. Take him... worst case scenario? We keep him. Best case scenario? We trade him.

Sounds good.

I want us to trade down... but... hell... if they wanna call our bluff, draft him.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

See I disagree, I don't think teams will pony up multiple picks to get Calvin Johnson, when they are in the same boat as us (multiple needs).

Rarely are teams gonna pay the ransom it costs to get that pick.

And Based on the points value:
2nd to 5th? Arizona has to pony up their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th
2nd to 4th? TB has to give up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Remember the Giants gave up how much to go from 4th to 1st?

Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and next years 1st and 5th.

Those picks turned into Rivers, Keading, and some guy named Shawne Merriman among others.

If you dont get the ransom you are robbing yourselves. With a pre-determined trade value, teams are not going to pay the price when they have several holes to fill, like I said before.

Last edited by Bootland27 : 03-20-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Bootland27 is offline   Reply With Quote