Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-30-2014, 12:05 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Posted this in the wrong thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Ugh. Somebody give me a good resource for phone101. This phone lists 10mb of space used by "downloads" and when I tap it it tells me there are no downloads.

Zero space left and I can't do **** about it.
I could use some basic tips, sites, references, etc. for how to deal with a phone that has limited space & 60% of it is vendor crap that I can't seem to remove.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Root access would let you do that. I'm in bit of a bigger rush than I realized when I started googling for the model number of the Verizon SIII Mini, but that's what you should start looking into.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:47 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tried Clean Master and it seemed solid:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nmaster.mguard
Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I used Clean Master when I had an Android. I didn't think it did much help outside of showing me how much worstless crap is constantly running on the phone that I never used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:28 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Posted this in the wrong thread:

I could use some basic tips, sites, references, etc. for how to deal with a phone that has limited space & 60% of it is vendor crap that I can't seem to remove.
what kind of phone do you have? if you already said it, i missed it, but the easy, cheap way to get more storage is to just grab an extra SD card. i've been reusing a 16gb one i got with my original droid in every phone since.
what do you need the space for? pictures, videos and documents can go to goole drive if you don't need them rightthisveryminute. if it's music, look into play music for mp3s or a service like spotify, so you don't need to store hundreds of songs on the device itself.
does the word "root" scare you? that's really the only way to get rid of the vendor ********. though, recently, i've been able to delete a lot of crap verizon put on my phone. no idea what changed.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
what kind of phone do you have? if you already said it, i missed it, but the easy, cheap way to get more storage is to just grab an extra SD card. i've been reusing a 16gb one i got with my original droid in every phone since.
what do you need the space for? pictures, videos and documents can go to goole drive if you don't need them rightthisveryminute. if it's music, look into play music for mp3s or a service like spotify, so you don't need to store hundreds of songs on the device itself.
does the word "root" scare you? that's really the only way to get rid of the vendor ********. though, recently, i've been able to delete a lot of crap verizon put on my phone. no idea what changed.
Samsung S3 Mini.

I have an SD card in it. The issue is that 6 of the available 8GB was taken by vendor loaded garbage. There are even multiple apps for the same use (ie. two photo editing apps) and then there's the stuff that I've actually chosen to download that won't let me move it to the SD. Essentially, the device is full and I see no way to fix it without deleting some of the redundant and useless crap Verizon & Samsung dropped on it to make a few bucks.

On top of that, it continues to show xxxMB taken up by downloads but when I tap to go clear said downloads there are none. It's doing the same with pics/videos even though those are all on the SD. I even started deleting some since they're on photobucket. (Also posed the question re: best cloud service for pics, since bucket seems to degrade the quality.)

Root does not scare me, but it's a work issued phone. That's a last resort and would require approval first.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You could root then throw Titanium Backup and knock out some of the garbage apps.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Samsung S3 Mini.

I have an SD card in it. The issue is that 6 of the available 8GB was taken by vendor loaded garbage. There are even multiple apps for the same use (ie. two photo editing apps) and then there's the stuff that I've actually chosen to download that won't let me move it to the SD. Essentially, the device is full and I see no way to fix it without deleting some of the redundant and useless crap Verizon & Samsung dropped on it to make a few bucks.

On top of that, it continues to show xxxMB taken up by downloads but when I tap to go clear said downloads there are none. It's doing the same with pics/videos even though those are all on the SD. I even started deleting some since they're on photobucket. (Also posed the question re: best cloud service for pics, since bucket seems to degrade the quality.)

Root does not scare me, but it's a work issued phone. That's a last resort and would require approval first.
Does the S3 come with the My Files app? If you open that and go to settings you can move the basic folders like image, video, music, and documents to SD card. You can also enable showing hidden files.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i'll be honest, you're kind of screwed on the non-personal files.

all of your personal stuff can go onto the external SD card, but some apps just can't. VZW *sucks* for vendor garbage, and the s3 is already a cheap phone. if you need to get rid of all that ****, rooting is the only way to go, that i'm aware of.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Does the S3 come with the My Files app? If you open that and go to settings you can move the basic folders like image, video, music, and documents to SD card. You can also enable showing hidden files.
Awesome. That does exist, and makes a big difference. Probably should have read the manual.

Thanks er'ybody.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'll be honest, you're kind of screwed on the non-personal files.

all of your personal stuff can go onto the external SD card, but some apps just can't. VZW *sucks* for vendor garbage, and the s3 is already a cheap phone. if you need to get rid of all that ****, rooting is the only way to go, that i'm aware of.
Yes, this is true. But it took a solid year of pushing to get the boss to upgrade to smart phones at all. The S3 mini is still leagues better than the slide phone it replaced. It's like leaping out of the dark ages.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Chromecast might be able to do the latter Elvis and for $35 its a great value.

I know I streamed the Packer game from my laptop to my TV with it yesterday.
scored one for 15 bucks wats some of the must have apps with this thing?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

didn't think of that I might need to grab me a chromecast to stream some games onto my tv

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansCJftw View Post
scored one for 15 bucks wats some of the must have apps with this thing?
Pretty standard things.

HBO GO
Netflix
The various Google services.

Then install the extension for Chrome and you can mirror your computer desktop or phone.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

An extension for Chrome? I didn't know about that!
I hate streaming and watching on my desktop. Thanks.

I recently dropped and broke my LG Optimus G (loved that phone)
Upgraded to the LG G3 since I loved the OG so much...
and this phone is the sex... wow... not even rooted either
I've rooted every phone I've had the last couple of years.
I don't see why I would need to do that with this phone though
The UI is clean, very customizable and I just hid all the bloatware.
The battery life is muuccchhhhh better than the OG too.
Almost glad I dropped my phone now lol
The OG (4.7 in) screen was the largest I had ever used and didn't know how I'd like a 5.5" screen
but the G3 hasn't given me any issues once with it's size or weight.

Great phone.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nexus 9 preorder friday woot woot!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

******* finally haha. I love the front facing speakers. I wish more electronics had that feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

How about the Nexus 6? No fanfare there?

http://gizmodo.com/googles-nexus-6-s...ter-1646581919

Last edited by ImBrotherCain : 10-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.
ImBrotherCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish it wasn't so big. It's a beast of a phone, it would be perfect if it was 5 inches instead of 6.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very disappointed that google went with a huge form factor.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Google is trying to have more control over the Android OS. I'm very curious to see how this effects their products. I think it will be better for the end user but I know I'm in the minority in favoring more of a closed source platform.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Google is trying to have more control over the Android OS. I'm very curious to see how this effects their products. I think it will be better for the end user but I know I'm in the minority in favoring more of a closed source platform.
I want Android to be OSS, but I also want the manufacturers to just use pure Android. I'm sick of having to develop for so many ******* corner cases.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:30 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see how that's attractive as a dev, but I'm pretty OK with the way things are now as a consumer. I bought an M8 fully expecting to flash the Google Play RUU(especially coming from a Nexus 5), but Sense has really come a long way from the last time I used it. Plenty of functionality there that I useful.

As much as I dislike Touchwiz, it's probably always going to be a way better solution for someone like my Mom.

The variety things exciting. With Windows Phone looking more and more out to pasture every quarter, it really helps mitigate the fact that you essentially only have two choices.

Anywho, nothing wrong with the Nexus 6...but it's not for me. I would have to hold it before making a definitive judgement about the size, but my gut reaction says that's simply too big. They've done a fairly good job trimming bezel though.

The price is also a huge turnoff. That's the opposite direction I'm looking to go as far as device pricing goes. $650 isn't even truly terrible for a flagship class device, but I'm much more interested in the direction they were going previously, along with companies like OnePlus. The Nexus 5 felt every bit as powerful and premium as it's contemporary flagship(and benched just as well, generally) competitors. Value without compromise has always been the thing that's drawn me to the Nexus devices. The Nexus 6 really doesn't seem to offer that same package.

QHD on a smartphone basically does nothing for me as well. It's a nice feature I guess, but I have 20/10 vision and struggled to tell the difference between full HD and QHD when I briefly owned the LG G3. Granted, that phone has a terrible panel with awful calibration and brightness issues, but you REALLY have to look to see a difference. The only use for those extra pixels seems to be to put a bigger number on a product spec sheet and put more load on batteries.

Lollipop looks pretty sweet though. Very excited about ART being the standard runtime now. I've been using it for as long as it's been out and it's really improved my experience for the better in spite of being in a supposedly experimental state.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
I want Android to be OSS, but I also want the manufacturers to just use pure Android. I'm sick of having to develop for so many ******* corner cases.
Is that why apps generally get deployed on the App store first? Because to deploy for iPhones you just have to develop for one OS?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:44 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im more upset their price went up to 650 i wanted a cheap option if anything ever happened to my phone

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote