Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Breaking news: Hawaii invited to MWC (football only)

An answer to my prayers!!!! The WAC was falling apart, but thanks to this there is a future!!! WOoo hoooo!!!!

http://www.kitv.com/news/25845791/detail.html

HONOLULU -- The University of Hawaii will join the Mountain West Conference for football, sources confirmed to KITV4.
The move comes on the heels of top Western Athletic Conference teams leaving the conference. Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State bolted for the MWC.
Hawaii will be part of the MWC just for football. It will be part of the Big West Conference for the other sports, sources told KITV4 Sports.

OH HAPPY DAY!!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats to the Hawai'i Fightin' D-Units!!!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no Offense but is UH even that good to switch out ? I mean with the other teams leaving they run the WAC and have an enjoyment season .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People still won't take the MWC seriously

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
no Offense but is UH even that good to switch out ? I mean with the other teams leaving they run the WAC and have an enjoyment season .
There was no enjoyment left for Hawaii in the WAC. Beating up on the leftovers would've been no fun.

Are they good enough to compete with the MWC? That's what I'm hoping they show the doubters.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since 1998, Hawaii 89-67 which is a .570 winning %. I'm very surprised by this move and think it's a tremendous move by both parties.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like this. The already strong MTW (even with losing the Utah schools) brings in what are, in my mind at least, the top 4 schools from the WAC including Boise who has been one of the best in the country the last few years?

Give them an automatic birth already. Take the Big East's. Please.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well there are mountains in Hawaii at least, and it is very far west.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I really like this. The already strong MTW (even with losing the Utah schools) brings in what are, in my mind at least, the top 4 schools from the WAC including Boise who has been one of the best in the country the last few years?

Give them an automatic birth already. Take the Big East's. Please.
Even by adding Hawaii, the Big East has a higher winning percentage since the creation of the BCS.

Big East
West Virginia 98-50, .662
Louisville 97-53, .647
South Florida 75-44, .630
Connecticut 62-58, .567
Cincinnati 83-65, .560
Pittsburgh 81-65, .555
Rutgers 64-79, .447
Syracuse 61-82, .426
Total: 621-496 (.556)

New Mountain West
Boise State (102-15, .872)
TCU (108-38, .740)
Air Force (86-60, .589)
Fresno State (94-60, .584)
Hawaii (89-67, .570)
Colorado State (77-70., .524)
Nevada (59-64, .480, since 2000)*
New Mexico (66-80, .452)
Wyoming (57-83, .407)
San Diego State (50-91, .355)
UNLV (44-96, .314)
Total: 832-724 (.535)

I think the bigger question is this: Hawaii makes the 11th team now in the MWC. Who do they invite as the 12th? Houston? SMU? Tulsa? Southern Miss?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winning percentage? That's you best argument Diab? The MTW has a lot of ****** teams dragging them down at the very bottom...but they are so much more top heavy than the Big East...have been since Rich Rod left WVU. They were really the only elite team within that division.

The Big East is just so mediocre and it's going to be a joke and a travesty when an unranked (or laughably lowly ranked) Big East team gets into a BCS bowl over a very unfortunate TCU or Boise State. They'd rob one of those two's conferences of millions by undeservedly getting in. Such BS.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
well there are mountains in Hawaii at least, and it is very far west.
But it's even further east...think about it.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Those numbers are from 1998, the year the BCS was implemented.

I agree, though, that the MWC is A LOT top heavier than the Big East and would be even moreso if BYU (98-53. .649) would have stayed. If they could kick out Wyoming, UNLV, New Mexico, and San Diego and bring in the likes of Southern Miss, Houston, Tulsa, and say SMU then that would be a BCS conference without a doubt.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Those numbers are from 1998, the year the BCS was implemented.

I agree, though, that the MWC is A LOT top heavier than the Big East and would be even moreso if BYU (98-53. .649) would have stayed. If they could kick out Wyoming, UNLV, New Mexico, and San Diego and bring in the likes of Southern Miss, Houston, Tulsa, and say SMU then that would be a BCS conference without a doubt.
Well, most BCS conferences still have some ****** teams floating around the bottom. Pac-10 has had Washington State recently, SEC has Vandy and the Mississippi schools aren't typically that good, Big-10 has Indiana and Minnesota, Big-12 has Baylor (usually) and the Kansas schools typically aren't that good....

The Big-East is just sooo mediocre it's not funny.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Well, most BCS conferences still have some ****** teams floating around the bottom. Pac-10 has had Washington State recently, SEC has Vandy and the Mississippi schools aren't typically that good, Big-10 has Indiana and Minnesota, Big-12 has Baylor (usually) and the Kansas schools typically aren't that good....

The Big-East is just sooo mediocre it's not funny.
yeah, I plan on comparing the records and winning percentages of each conference since 1998 to see who is strongest. I have already done the SEC, Big East, and Mountain West so I just have the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-10 left to do.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
yeah, I plan on comparing the records and winning percentages of each conference since 1998 to see who is strongest. I have already done the SEC, Big East, and Mountain West so I just have the ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac-10 left to do.
While I'm sure that would show you some things, I don't think it would be the full story. I mean, how often since the start of the BCS have the bigger schools in the BCS conferences scheduled the bottom-feeders of the non-BCS conferences to beat up? It would definitely skew it a bit.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
While I'm sure that would show you some things, I don't think it would be the full story. I mean, how often since the start of the BCS have the bigger schools in the BCS conferences scheduled the bottom-feeders of the non-BCS conferences to beat up? It would definitely skew it a bit.
No doubt about that but it isn't like those teams don't schedule plenty of cupcakes from other places that make their overall wins also misleading.

I think there could be some merit to a comparison between the conferences where both teams were ranked. Realistically the BCS bids should be based on the conferences with the "best" teams rather than on depth. I would think the majority would want to see TCU or Boise play over a mediocre team for instance and seeing how each conference has done with it's top teams against other top teams would be interesting, imo at least.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'm just so overjoyed over this whole thing. I can't explain it!

Better conference, better competition, better exposure, better recuits! The challenge will be tougher, but the glory of winning will mean MORE! Love it!

As for the 12th team... I sure would love SMU... June Jones vs Hawaii every year! ...but I think Utah State unfortunately will get it. No Utah school in the MWC, and I've got a hint that they'll want one.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was really sad when Utah left for the Pac10. I really thought the MWC was going to start to fall apart.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:11 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good
TCU
Boise State

Decent
Nevada
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Air Force

Bad
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Wyoming

overall it's still only a average conference, but do you think it's really worth a AQ? Winner of TCU vs Boise will most likely make a BCS bowl anyways

Montana seems like the best fit for a 12th team and the MWC seems like a more intriguing spot than the WAC at this point

Last edited by fenikz : 11-19-2010 at 03:20 AM.
fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I was really sad when Utah left for the Pac10. I really thought the MWC was going to start to fall apart.
Maybe BYU will pull a U-ee and come back. That would be sweet! ...dreamin'.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Good
TCU
Boise State

Decent
Nevada
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Air Force

Bad
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Wyoming

overall it's still only a average conference, but do you think it's really worth a AQ? Winner of TCU vs Boise will most likely make a BCS bowl anyways

Montana seems like the best fit for a 12th team and the MWC seems like a more intriguing spot than the WAC at this point

Montana has already declined any and all invitations to the FBS.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice addition. Kind of a shame Utah and BYU left. If the MWC had Utah, TCU, Boise, BYU, Nevada, Fresno St. and Hawaii they'd definitely be able to get an autobid.

Losing Utah and BYU makes it very top heavy, and very weak at the bottom. Those 5 or 6 teams at the bottom are going to be too weak of teams for them to get an autobid in my opinion. Remember, getting an automatic bid is part of a formula already set, and the MWC has been close before. People wont be able to say its some bias if they dont get one, its because of how weak the teams at the bottom are. Yes, every conference has them, but its not half of the teams for every conference.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So in 2 years time the auto bids are up for grabs?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5126561

Pretty informative article. The way TCU has played I'd say the MWC could get a spot. It'll hurt losing Utah and who knows what credit they'll get for Boise's success before they were in the MWC.

Utah and BYU leaving could come back to hurt the MWC by keeping them from an autobid.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 11-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

I think they'll get one. God I hope they do. They pick up two consistently great teams in Boise and TCU, and a handful of teams who can be decent any given year....I really don't see how they are any worse than the Big East or ACC.