Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
KennyG
Rookie

KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.

I don't see Bradford as a FB at all, EG was not a good FB why would you put a big RB (who actually has some skill as a RB) at the FB position? I'm fine with Lorig as the FB. I think Bradford is simply the short yardage guy and a back who's going to come in to spell Blount and Caddy. Bradford can very well be the 2nd RB on this team if we don't retain Caddy and he is a good insurance policy considering Blount is a back who likes contact and one who likes to go airborne often...

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

(sleeper pick)

Mike Mayock: "SS Ahmad Black, Bucs, Round 5 (151) — He’s short and slow, but tough and productive. He’ll be a core special teams player and impossible to cut."

I like your guys draft overall. I think the whole NFC south drafted pretty well.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So...

Adrian Clayborn - Solid against the run - can anchor and also shed blocks and make tackles in pursuit. Quick for his size and can run the arc, use his hands or bullrush to get pressure. We haven't had a multi-dimensional pass rusher in years so fans will be relieving when they see him.

DaQuan Bowers - Freak talent with a great attitude. Guys like that are rare, but no one's questioning his talent. If we can get a handful of healthy years out of him it'll be well worth it. He can dominate a game when he's fully healthy, and the only way to stop him as a Jr. was to run away from him.

Mason Foster - Possibly the most instinctive LB in this class. Good size and versatility. He's not the fastest in chase but he can fill his gap quickly and drives through contact. Should improve the run defense greatly, along with the 2 DEs. Hayes can replace him for the athletic, explosive factor.

Luke Stocker - Similar prospect to Jason Witten, but it remains to be seen whether or not he maximizes that potential. Great size, good in-line blocker, but the most surprising/exciting thing about his game is that he's a productive receiver who stretched the seam in college and made plays down the field. Very few TEs at his size can say the same in the history of the draft.

Ahmad Black - One of the most coveted players in the draft for me. He'll never be bigger than 5'10 190 and he'll never run fast in a straight line but he has great short-area quickness, instincts, ball skills and power. He's a leader and a playmaker, he can play safety or cover the slot in nickel paclages, and he's really excited to be a Buc.

Allen Bradford - Basically a Blount clone. Same size as Blount but he's more muscled up. They look similar when they make cuts. Bradford is a great 1-cut back who has surprising burst for his size. He hits the hole hard and runs you over. Blount is more elusive, has better vision and can leap you, but Bradford is stronger and more athletic. Bradford is a better prospect but we all know what Blount can do already so I doubt he will supplant him. Should be our short-yardage back, insurance policy for Blount and core special-teamer. He's excited to be a Buc.

Anthony Gaitor - I wanted Brandon Harris, well we didn't need Harris and instead waited until the 7th to get a similar guy. Great scouting job, once again. Gaitor is instinctive, physical and has short-area burst. He's the perfect #5 corner for us and I think he can replace Ronde and be our nickel corner next year. He's ecstatic that he's a Buc and even said that he doesn't care where he's drafted as long as it's Tampa Bay. WOW!

Daniel Hardy - Worst pick by far. Doesn't make sense from a need perspective since we have Winslow, Stocker, Gilmore and Purvis with Lorig capable of filling in as well. Hardy has great hands and is productive but that's about it. He has an awkward build and looks like he'd get pushed around in the NFL. He has decent athleticism but he's stiff and struggles to get separation. He's definitely a practice squad guy to start off and I don't see him beating out anyone for the 53 man.

Overall:

We covered all our needs with great value, fit and talent, except for the Hardy pick which is an outlier. If we went any other direction there (OL, WR, LB, S) I would've given this draft an A+. I give it an A instead. I see 5 starters and 2 role players in this class. Great haul.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:16 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Best pick: Getting Da'Quan Bowers in the second round will be a huge steal if the medical holds up. I love the risk. Wow.

Questionable move: Taking Bowers. Because, then again, it could blow up in their faces.

Third-day gem: Safety Ahmad Black, the team's fifth-round pick, is small for his position but he's a heck of a football player. He should be able to excel on special teams as a rookie.

Analysis: For the third straight year, the Bucs hit big in the draft. General manager Mark Dominik is building something special down there. The first two picks of ends Adrian Clayborn and Bowers means Tampa Bay has used four premium picks on the line in the past two years.

Grade: A

link

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
bullg8rdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
KennyG
Rookie

KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.KennyG is a cocksman.

Overall don't have any big complaints. But I would have went with Davon House over Stocker in the 4th then grabbed either Markus White or Romeus in the 7th over A. Gaitor. And totally agree with etk on the Hardy pick, Ziemba and J. Beal were still there and would much rather have one of those guys.

**With that said I don't know much about the Stocker kid, if he has Jason Whitten potential then obviously that was a great pick in the 4th**

Josh Freeman by Kenbo Slice
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 PM    (permalink
ratiffshabang
Rookie

ratiffshabang hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

overall i'm pretty happy with this draft but it does bring up some interesting things. we addressed our biggest pressing need in DE, however obviously the question will be what will we get out of Bowers? will he play this season (if there is a season), if he does what kind of production will he have? If his knee is in a lot better shape than we all think than i feel he will be a major contributor to our defense esp with Clayborn coming off the other edge. the other question this draft brought up is how comfortable are the bucs with Biggers and Lewis starting? Is Talib still going to be part of this team? we didn't address the CB position til the 7th, and i can't see this kid being a starting corner for us ( but maybe i'm wrong and he'll be a major gem). I was hoping we'd take a corner in the 3 or 4th round, def was surprised we waited til the 7th. Great draft overall, we addressed our biggest need with two guys that have HUGE upside and got a solid starting LB. I give us an A for our draft. Just curious to see what happens with the secondary
ratiffshabang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

I love House but TE was a much bigger need for us than CB. It's apparent that Dominik/Morris see us as having 3 good young corners and so there's no need to try to get another starting caliber guy. We went with the role player which is smart, and we got the right one imo. Stocker is very athletic for his size and anyone can see the potential in him. His floor is a #2 TE who mostly blocks and his ceiling is Witten. There's one low-quality video of him on youtube and you'll see his upside because most of the plays involve him stretching the seam and making 20+ yard catches. I liked Gilmore but Stocker is bigger and faster so that's a bonus.

Gaitor may never be a starter because he'd be outmatched physically against bigger guys, but he's a role player who can use his short-area quickness to squat on routes or blitz, therefore he should make some big plays like Ronde one day.

I do agree that a guy like White or Beal would've been nice. I still think we need an undersized pass rusher that can come off the bench and threaten the edge on obvious passing downs, but also run down kicks and punts as a core special teamer. We tried that 1 year with Patrick Chukwurah but he wasn't good enough. I hope we get another one of those guys rather than filling the roster with 270+ lb. effort pass rushers that are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none types. The FO has done a good job of adding diversity at every position now except RB and DE which are incomplete still imo.

Also, yes, it's obvious that either Talib is still a major part of this team's plans for the future, or Nnamdi Asomugha is. I'm sure Raheem is very high on Biggers and Lewis, but he's not gonna put all his eggs in that basket without a proven starter.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with etk. Talib has to be part of this teams plans heading forward even if he does get a substantial suspension. I don't think Dominick/Morris would risk heading into the season with only Ronde/Myron/E.J. as guys who are worth seeing on the field.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bullg8rdaddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MAY 01, 2011
A few things the Bucs didn't tell you about the draft

The Bucs' 2011 draft is being heralded as widely successful and general manager Mark Dominik and coach Raheem Morris spoke excitedly about about their class Saturday evening.

But there are a few interesting tidbits about this draft the Bucs haven't publicly addressed. And we thought you'd like to hear them.

Where did Bucs stand on Amukamara?

It's no secret drafting a cornerback in the early rounds was something the Bucs were considering. So, when Nebraska's Prince Amukamara was still on the board moments before the Bucs were scheduled to pick, you couldn't help but think about the possibilities.

Selecting Amukamara would have given the Bucs a solution to the Aqib Talib dilemma, and provided depth at the position for years to come. He ultimately was chosen by the Giants, one spot before the Bucs chose Adrian Clayborn at No. 20.

But what if?

Well, it turns out, the Bucs weren't nearly as high on Amukamara as you might imagine. In fact, it's likely they would have passed on him even if he was available when the Bucs picked at No. 20. What's less clear is what the Bucs disliked about him, but it became obvious over the weekend that Amukamara was not high on the Bucs' draft board.

Mason Foster might replace Barrett Ruud

The selection of Washington linebacker Mason Foster in the third round was billed by the team as a choice that gives the Bucs numerous options. And this seems apparent given the fact Foster literally played all three linebacker positions for the Huskies as well as showing a great deal of edge rush ability.

But here's a window into the Bucs' thinking on Foster: They intend to use him as a middle linebacker. That's the team's intent right now, and it doesn't bode well for Barrett Ruud. We can't say that any decision has been made on Ruud, who will be a free agent whenever the NFL re-opens for business.

But here's the thing: At minimum, even if the Bucs intend to re-sign Ruud, they had to protect themselves against losing him on the open market. By selecting Foster, the Bucs feel they've done that.

The Bucs feel pretty good about their cornerbacks

This is somewhat related to the Amukamara note above.

The fact that the Bucs waited until the seventh round to select a cornerback (Anthony Gaitor of FIU) says something, but what? Does it mean the Bucs feel like Aqib Talib will be a part of their team despite his pending aggravated assault charge? The answer is no. It says nothing about Talib or the team's plans for him.

Instead, what the decision indicates is that the Bucs feel pretty confident in their current lineup of cornerbacks. It's a vote of confidence in Ronde Barber, E.J. Biggers and Myron Lewis more than anything else. Lewis, in particular, is a player the Bucs think has tremendous upside and could develop into a formidable cornerback in the near future. And Mark Dominik warns that Gaitor's selection in the seventh round doesn't mean he can't help the team. Biggers, too, was a seventh-round pick and played a majority of the defensive snaps last season.

Link

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM
Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty sure I read a Dominik quote saying he would play SLB...

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they'll add competition at all LB sports and see who fits best where. Foster is capable of playing all 3 positions, but they are also high on Tyrone McKenzie. Hayes is very inconsistant, so I think they want to push him or replace him.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm ready to give the Bucs an A just after their first two picks. You've got some solid bookends in Clayborn and Bowers, assuming he will be healthy of course. If he is Tampa got 2 first round DEs this year. Foster is underrated because of the team he played on, and I love the frame Stocker brings to the TE position. After that, looks like good depth was acquired, but I don't know if any of them have potential to be more than that. Very solid draft.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
I'm ready to give the Bucs an A just after their first two picks. You've got some solid bookends in Clayborn and Bowers, assuming he will be healthy of course. If he is Tampa got 2 first round DEs this year. Foster is underrated because of the team he played on, and I love the frame Stocker brings to the TE position. After that, looks like good depth was acquired, but I don't know if any of them have potential to be more than that. Very solid draft.
Thanks for your evaluation. But I think the Bucs might have gotten a steal at CB in Anthony Gaitor. Mike Mayock showed some film on this guy against some good teams and notable Texas A&M. He was all over the place and is really good in the slot (hmm...ROnde Barber like?). He could be a very good nickle for us in the future. Also, Ahmad Black is a playmaker in the secondary. He dropped due to his size but don't underestimate him.

Raheem has a tendency into bringing out the best, especially towards players who have that 'chip' on their shoulders. Mike Williams in 2010, where no one really wanted him bc of his so called 'off the field issues'. Yet, no one did their homework on him that his only problem was towards school work, not character.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Thanks for your evaluation. But I think the Bucs might have gotten a steal at CB in Anthony Gaitor. Mike Mayock showed some film on this guy against some good teams and notable Texas A&M. He was all over the place and is really good in the slot (hmm...ROnde Barber like?). He could be a very good nickle for us in the future. Also, Ahmad Black is a playmaker in the secondary. He dropped due to his size but don't underestimate him.

Raheem has a tendency into bringing out the best, especially towards players who have that 'chip' on their shoulders. Mike Williams in 2010, where no one really wanted him bc of his so called 'off the field issues'. Yet, no one did their homework on him that his only problem was towards school work, not character.
Agreed. I think we know what we're getting with Gaitor. He's not gonna factor in as a starter, but he'll have a clearly defined role as the nickel corner. I think he can be a valuable player for us there as he has the right athletic traits with + playmaking ability.

Williams is a great guy by all accounts. When you hear "character concerns" you expect to see a guy who either seems uneducated, mean or a combination of both. Williams is a smiling, fun-loving guy and a hard-worker. I keep finding clues about the laziness of scouts and that just adds to the pile. It's nice to know that we have a front office that puts the right work in, and bullg8rdaddy's sig constantly reminds me of that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

[quote=etk;2596652]Agreed. I think we know what we're getting with Gaitor. He's not gonna factor in as a starter, but he'll have a clearly defined role as the nickel corner. I think he can be a valuable player for us there as he has the right athletic traits with + playmaking ability.

Williams is a great guy by all accounts. When you hear "character concerns" you expect to see a guy who either seems uneducated, mean or a combination of both. Williams is a smiling, fun-loving guy and a hard-worker. I keep finding clues about the laziness of scouts and that just adds to the pile. It's nice to know that we have a front office that puts the right work in, and bullg8rdaddy's sig constantly reminds me of that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear yeah. Scouts are lazy. They hear one thing and take that for granted. Look at Jimmy Smith from Colorado, drafted by the Ravens. All those 'red flags' he has? Well Mike Lombardi said it best. He said that this all happened during his freshman year in college. After that, you didn't see any problems with him. Like really? Ravens just got the best CB in the draft in my opinion.

Dominik does his homeowrk on players and thats what will seperate him from most GMs. Right now, Ozzie Newsome is the best in the business, but I'd put Dom in the top 5, #2 if he hits on this draft, especially Bowers and Clayborn.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

What could've been. lol

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Is that Robert Quinn? I really wanted us to trade up for him at the time but Clayborn looks like he's shot out of a cannon on 3rd downs, plus he has much better run stopping potential. He needs to be more consistent though...he got pushed back about 5 yards on 1 play against KC.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
bullg8rdaddy
NFLDC ROY 2010
Veteran

Aldon Smiff, good sir.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Watch what you wish for. Aldon Smith has great potential, but is very raw.

I'm happy with Clayborn and although his stats didn't show it, he was still a force on that offensive line. Remember, he played through a lingering knee injury throughout the year, so he's 100%.

Plus, even ask Donald Penn. He never went up against good DEs in TC and this year he said it was the most work and toughest competiton he's ever gone up against and prides Clayborn on his strength.

He'll develop pass rush moves under Millard. This has the makings of being a dominate D-Line in a year or 2 and you might see it towards the end of this year.