Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Coaching Carousel is coming up

Its almost that time of year...not Christmas, not New Year's, but almost time to spin the coaching carousel once more. 3 head coaches have already been fired, a few more are expected to be gone at the end of the year (Lewis, Fox), and then combine that with a few more potentially on the hotseat (Singletary, Kubiak, Fisher).

Just to start....numerous reporters, both local and national, have reported that Singletary is basically coaching out the string in San Francisco, even if the 49ers make the playoffs. The validity of the reports is another issue, but when its from so many different sources i wouldn't bet against it. Anyways, 2 candidates for the job are Jon Gruden and Jim Harbaugh as reported by peter King.

Quote:
3. I think, summing up the weekend's coaching news: I see Mike Singletary having a very hard time keeping his job in San Francisco barring a 5-1 or maybe 4-2 finish, and I see Jon Gruden and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh being among the leading candidates for the gig. The Niners are desperate for a quarterback of the future, and the next coach could be the man who finds and trains him ...
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz18mUww9iJ

On other coaching speculation....Bill Cowher is reportedly eyeing 3 teams in a potential comeback. The most obvious of the 3 would be the Texans..

Quote:
Cowher’s wish list, per Mort, consists of the Dolphins, Texans, and Giants.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-three-teams/

For the Panthers, Russ Grimm has been linked to the HC job..

Quote:
And Adam Schefter of ESPN reports, citing two NFL sources, that talk is already centering on Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm as a strong candidate to replace Fox.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...thers-in-2011/

What coaches do you think could get fired this season, and who do you think could replace them, either due to local/national reports, or your own gut feelings? Feel free to use this thread to discuss the comings and goings of the upcoming coaching carousel.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Capers could land somewhere like the 49ers. A young team looking for a leader and coach to play for. He could take Greene with him to become their DC and he has done a fantastic job with the Steelers OLBs and the Packers as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Giants miss the playoffs again does Coughlin get fired?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
If the Giants miss the playoffs again does Coughlin get fired?
Lots of talk going on about this here in New York. If they don't make the playoffs, I think he's gone. The debacle against the Eagles would be the nail in the coffin, imo.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a strong feeling that Frazier will not be the head coach of the vikings next season.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_28 View Post
I have a strong feeling that Frazier will not be the head coach of the vikings next season.
I never understood the love affair with Frazier. Just because he's black and runs a Tampa Two doesn't mean he's Dungy or Tomlin.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Steelers OC is in on this. I hate Bruce Arians.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling that Gruden will be our coach next season in Cleveland, unless he wants to stick around on MNF for another year.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russ Grimm would be a perfect fit in Carolina.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I hope the Steelers OC is in on this. I hate Bruce Arians.
I'm hoping Kubiak gets fired and Tomlin looks at him.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I have a feeling that Gruden will be our coach next season in Cleveland, unless he wants to stick around on MNF for another year.
Stay in the booth. The Browns do not need a mediocre retread.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Lots of talk going on about this here in New York. If they don't make the playoffs, I think he's gone. The debacle against the Eagles would be the nail in the coffin, imo.
If this happens, do we see John Fox return to the Meadowlands? I've heard he's still highly thought of in the organization and that a lot of Giants fans (BBD and my dad) still love him and hated seeing him go.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the 49ers, Panthers, Bills, and Dolphins will go after an offensive guy...probably young. I'd like to see the 49ers go back to their ballsy roots and give McDaniels his 2nd job...I think they can do some sick things with the talent they have on offense outside of QB.

The Texans would be a great spot for one of the "retread" coaches who might be or are available...particularly John Fox. They're right there as a team...they have a QB, they have an offense, and their D is missing only a couple pieces while holding a ton of major pieces (Williams, Cushing, Ryans, I still like Okoye, A. Smith, and Jackson). Fox has won with a QB who isn't your typical storybook QB and they're one of the few teams who are building towards an awesome 4-3 D.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Why would you fire Mangini?
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
A rational thinking person would not.

However, so many people are speculating that Holmgren will replace Mangini with one of his guys that this rumor has legs, based on absolutely nothing but guesses.

Mangini should be the man for any number of reasons including the job he has done and the disadvantage the CBA would put John Gruden in here, which is why I do not think it was a coincidence that Gruden's kid mentioned the year 2012.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
crossroads
Rookie

crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crossroads is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I think Capers could land somewhere like the 49ers. A young team looking for a leader and coach to play for. He could take Greene with him to become their DC and he has done a fantastic job with the Steelers OLBs and the Packers as well.
Capers has already had 2 head coaching gigs and in 8 years he won more then 7 games once. He's also 60 years old. I have a hard time envisioning any team giving him another shot.
crossroads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lewis is going to be gone in Cincy and the 2 names that have came up are Mike Zimmer and Hue Jackson. Zimmer would be a inhouse promotion and Jackson was WR coach for Ciny for a couple years.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coughlin will stay. Come on now. That punter will go.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we don't fire Coughlin. His track record with the Giants has been very good including 1 Super Bowl, 4 playoffs, 2 NFC East champions, and only 1 losing season. There is a very good chance we go 10-6 this year and don't make the playoffs but virtually any other year we would have got in. We had a terrible terrible loss on Sunday part of which was Coughlin's fault but I'd hate to see him go. Whatever replacement we brought in would have around the same success if not worse.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
I want to keep Mangini, but about half of Browns nation at least wants him gone it seems, and there is definite speculation as Wonderbredd said that Holmgren will jump on the opportunity to put his own handpicked guy in at head coach, especially after the team lost back to back games to teams that had only 2 wins when we played them plus narrowly avoiding losing to Miami and Carolina.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Stay in the booth. The Browns do not need a mediocre retread.
I'm kind of meh on Gruden as well. However I think with Holmgren and Heckert running the show that they just need to find a coach who knows what he's doing and not necessarily the next Parcells or Belichick. I think Tomlin in Pittsburgh and Caldwell in Indy prove that anyone can win on a team with great talent and great management and continuity.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Somebody just hire Cowher and Gruden this year - their names pop up every year. Annoying. Plus, no more Gruden in the booth!

If the Chargers don't make the playoffs, could see Norv Turner out the door and Rivera promoted.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am just glad it look's like Frazier won't be the head coach of the Vikings this year. I also never understood the love he got.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Froman
Rookie

Froman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I called it back in the summer since I guess I lacked confidence in Mangini for some reason, but it looks like Gruden is Clevelands choice to replace Mangenius, and the X-Factor to get it done, as I figured, is Gruden's long history with Holmgren. Good hire, he can really turn them around.
Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jed York should just do what it takes to get Andrew Luck so we can have Jim Harbaugh.

If we hire Gruden, I would put cash on him keeping Alex Smith.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote