Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
GOTTI
Rookie

GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.GOTTI could make a wolverine purr.
Question Close Games, what is the meaning?

What does winning close games come down to? How can a team that losses a lot of close games win those games? What changes need to be made?

Just looking for some thoughts as this has been the biggest problem with my favourite team (Packers) the past few years and I can't put my finger on why.

They seem to leave a lot of opportunities on the field during the game which would have given them a big lead. Then, when it's close at the end, the opposition capitalizes on an opportunity or they fail at doing the same.
GOTTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a giants fan and we've been pretty good at this since Eli and Coughlin got into town. What it comes down to for us is a) wearing down the other team so that late in the game we are the fresher team, b) building our momentum as the other team start to get exhausted from the beating we try to put on them and c) that indefinable clutchness factor that Eli just happens to have. I don't know why, but when **** gets serious Eli just goes into beast mode and as long as the D doesn't screw it up if Eli does mess up and give the other team a chance, we'll pull it off.

So to summarize, winning close games comes down to:
1. Stamina, if you're fresher you've got a better chance to pull it off
2. Momentum, if you're on the offensive and they're trying keep from screwing up you've got control of the game.
3. Clutchness, **** if I know why this happens, but some guys just perform better under more pressure while some guys perform better when the pressure's off. Eli and Peyton are interesting case study and I suspect there's some significant psychological research that could solve this puzzle but I have neither the knowledge nor the time right now to research this and find the answer.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot Niel Rackers sucking balls, Santino Holmes' "catch" & no consistent running threat

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say that kicking plays a big part of it. Something worth noting with most of the guys on the list is that their kickers are inconsistent.

Luck also plays a role, sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way, a call doesn't go your way and that type of stuff.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Saints kind of went through this dilemma at the end of their 2008 season in which they went 8-8... all but a few of their losses were by a Touchdown or less I believe, and there were a lot of 4th quarter games they let slip away.

That entire off-season starting with the Head Coach Payton, and QB Brees their entire motto going into their training was "Finish Strong" they made it a point of emphasis to give it that extra bit in practices and give the same effort you gave in the beginning at the end until the very last play. Even in the teams weight lifting they made sure their last repetition was as good as the first. The end result was a Super Bowl.

For some inexplicable reason some teams do seem more "clutch" than others, but I truly believe if you have strong leadership and make a committed effort from top down, with the whole team to have better conditioning, and endurance, and to just keep believing that you'll make the plays at the end of the game to win it... you eventually will.