Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Gruden was committed to ESPN and the Monday night crew ? I would love him as a HC it would open up our play book . I don't know much about Harbaugh except where he previously coached . I just think that west coast play books are dying right now and we need something with more open WR plays even trick plays sort of coach I think would really open the 49ers talents .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a surprise after the screaming match caught on camera with Troy Smith on the sideline, more importantly the pathetic offensive showing vs St. Louis.

4 HCs fired before end of season, got to be an NFL rcd. this yr.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Singletary turned down by Baylor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.

Also, I didn't say BCS, but he could get a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
The alumni base wanted Singletary, but he was rejected via phone interview for job. They said because he had no HC experience. I say because he was black. Also because he's terrible.
Maybe true, there is no more ultraconservative university than Baylor. And he was the most famous Baylor alum to make it in the NFL too. He was legendary in Texas playing there for breaking helmets b/c he hit ppl so hard in practice.

Somehow that same zeal didnt translate into effective coaching at the NFL level. He was all rah-rah & screaming in the locker rooms, **** for brains at game mgmt. & a liability on game day
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Not everyone. I dont want a college coach with no damn NFL head coaching experience. When was the last college head coach to be successful in the NFL??? I'm pretty sure it was Mariucci but look at the damn team he was walking into. And no way in hell would I give a huge contract to a guy with no experience. Same as Nolan/Singletary but would cost more. No thanks.
When was the last time a college coach had the leverage that Jim Harbaugh did? Harbaugh would bring a lot of excitement to the organization seeing as he's the local guy that helped Stanford and produced Andrew Luck. The only knock on him is that he hasn't been an NFL head coach or even coordinator. The closest he got was quarterback coach for the Raiders. But the experience he had as quarterback himself in the NFL for various different teams is a huge boost. Especially since this franchise needs a quarterback. Harbaugh would probably have the insight for talent. He's been around the NFL long enough that I think his experience as a player would compensate for his limited experience as a coach in the higher ranks. I have a feeling the 49ers are trying to pursue him very hard. Hopefully Jed is offering the bank.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 12-27-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
When was the last time a college coach had the leverage that Jim Harbaugh did? Harbaugh would bring a lot of excitement to the organization seeing as he's the local guy that helped Stanford and produced Andrew Luck. The only knock on him is that he hasn't been an NFL head coach or even coordinator. The closest he got was quarterback coach for the Raiders. But the experience he had as quarterback himself in the NFL for various different teams is a huge boost. Especially since this franchise needs a quarterback. Harbaugh would probably have the insight for talent. He's been around the NFL long enough that I think his experience as a player would compensate for his limited experience as a coach in the higher ranks. I have a feeling the 49ers are trying to pursue him very hard. Hopefully Jed is offering the bank.
Say Harbaugh leaves as does Luck, there's no guarantee that we get Luck and if we trade up, it will cost us 2012's first round as well and I wouldnt do that period. He has a lot of positives but one thing that you think is a positive, I see as a negative - him being a player. Singletary is a HOFer LB and how did he work out for us?

If we cant get Gruden, I wouldnt be pissed be if we get Harbaugh but if we just go straight for him without looking at anyone else, then, I will be pissed off because like Jed said, he's looking or the best fit as GM and he'll hire the HC. While I dont believe that as far as I can throw him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Well according to your logic, Bill Walsh would have never been hired back in the day because he was 'some college coach'. Harbaugh was a asisstant in the NFL for years before he went off to coach in college. He has turned around TWO programs since he left the NFL and was hand-picked by Bill Walsh to turn around the Stanford program and has done so with flying colors. Nolan and Sing had ZERO HC experience, at any level. That had alot to do with their struggles with Niners. Harbaugh is not in that same vein.
Fair enough but you cant compare the 70's to now. 40 years later. Look at Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, etc. They all sucked. Harbaugh was an assistant for two years as the QB coach of the Raiders. Didnt know he was hand picked by Walsh and while you said he turned around Stanford, his 28-21 overall record doesnt look nearly as good as his record at San Diego (29-6). Only positive is that between 2008-2010, he improved by three wins each season. And I know Nolan and Sing had no HC experience whatsoever and I didnt want either one or Erickson for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
These guys did allright:

John Madden
Chuck Fairbanks
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Bobby Ross
Tom Coughlin
Not bad but for every good/great one, there's a Spurrier type mixed in. And when you look at the history of all the NFL's head coaches, six out of like a thousand isnt exactly going to make me change my mind.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Fair enough but you cant compare the 70's to now. 40 years later. Look at Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, etc. They all sucked. Harbaugh was an assistant for two years as the QB coach of the Raiders. Didnt know he was hand picked by Walsh and while you said he turned around Stanford, his 28-21 overall record doesnt look nearly as good as his record at San Diego (29-6). Only positive is that between 2008-2010, he improved by three wins each season. And I know Nolan and Sing had no HC experience whatsoever and I didnt want either one or Erickson for that matter.

Not bad but for every good/great one, there's a Spurrier type mixed in. And when you look at the history of all the NFL's head coaches, six out of like a thousand isnt exactly going to make me change my mind.
There've been others, let's not be that narrow minded here. I think you can simplify it by saying it's just football. These guys need to be organizers and motivators, let the thousand assistant coaches they have do the heavy lifting.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Saban actually didnt do that bad.....but whatever.

I would throw the bank at Harbaugh because even though he hasnt coached in the NFL, he has proven that he can take a team out of the gutter and make them relevant. Hes a great football mind, and I love what he has done with that offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Say Harbaugh leaves as does Luck, there's no guarantee that we get Luck and if we trade up, it will cost us 2012's first round as well and I wouldnt do that period. He has a lot of positives but one thing that you think is a positive, I see as a negative - him being a player. Singletary is a HOFer LB and how did he work out for us?

If we cant get Gruden, I wouldnt be pissed be if we get Harbaugh but if we just go straight for him without looking at anyone else, then, I will be pissed off because like Jed said, he's looking or the best fit as GM and he'll hire the HC. While I dont believe that as far as I can throw him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.
But Harbaugh actually has X's and O's experience. Singletary never had. Especially on offense, which is vital in the NFL today. It's actually better if the man is not a Hall of Fame player...those have never worked out it seems. But all of the no-name flameouts have for some reason had success.

As far as Luck goes, I'm not too concerned. Having one is better than having neither. Gruden wouldn't be bad as a fallback option, but at the same time I'm not too keen on how he's handled the quarterback position of the years. Gannon was pretty much the only guy that was a consistent megastar for him.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

******* lol NFL dot com.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, what is all the love for Jon Gruden? I honestly don't think he is that great of a head coach. He took a team like Tampa in 2002 to the Super Bowl, but it was the team Dungy built and that defense was so dominate. He did a nice job of coaching up Brad Johnson, but it's not like the Bucs offense was dynamite. They were just average the whole season.

What hurts Gruden's resume is that he never recovered after him and Bruce Allen, one by one, depleted this team and never rebuilt through the draft. They missed on so many picks. 2007 was the worst. They had 3 picks in the 1st two rounds and had a chance for Calvin Johnson if they traded their 1st, and 2 2nds. Well, they took Gaines Adams (RIP), Aaron Sears, and Sabby Piscatelli. They missed on all 3 of them. He was the reason Tampa had to start from scratch last season.

He belongs in the MNF booth and I think thats a perfect fit for him. He also said he is not interested in any coaching jobs this season and I believe that. It seems like he is a natural at his job.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote