Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Great post Seamus. I agree with all of it. I would not mind picking OT at 22 and then trading up into the early 2nd round for a guard like Pouncey or Cannon. I am also intrigued by Ben Ijalana, he may be available mid or late 2nd round. I would like Carimi in the 1st, I've been saying that for months and he's done nothing to change my opinion.

Come to think of it Moffitt, the Wisconsin LG, might not be a bad 3rd rounder.
I have to admit I haven't looked a fierce amount at prospects yet. I'll do that over the next couple of months or so but definately there are options for the team to make in the early rounds. The team could legitametly in my opinion replace 4 of the 5 starters on the Offensive Line. We aren't going to get all of them in the draft so a case could be made for a major Free Agent signing. Looking at the numbers the only way the Colts could do that would be by cutting Diem or Saturday (I personally wouldn't [cheers Max] disagree with cutting both).

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Last edited by Seamus2602 : 01-11-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
I have to admit I haven't looked a fierce amount at prospects yet. I'll do that over the next couple of months or so but definately there are options for the team to make in the early rounds. The team could legitametly in my opinion replace 4 of the 5 starters on the Offensive Line. We aren't going to get all of them in the draft so a case could be made for a major Free Agent signing. Looking at the numbers the only way the Colts could do that would be by cutting Diem or Saturday (I personally would disagree with cutting both).
Why? They are both finished. Is their experience really all THAT valuable if they can't block?

I mean, I understand that we can't just replace 4 starters with rookies, but if we can find an affordable Free Agent or 2.

I wouldn't be against having 2 rookie starters, as long as they are upgrades.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Why? They are both finished. Is their experience really all THAT valuable if they can't block?

I mean, I understand that we can't just replace 4 starters with rookies, but if we can find an affordable Free Agent or 2.

I wouldn't be against having 2 rookie starters, as long as they are upgrades.
Its what I get for typing too fast. I have edited it to clear it up.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The last 2 years (at least) have to have proven that Diem and Saturday are done. They were great at their positions the middle of the last decade but since 2008 their play has slipped. Diem's contract is the biggest of any OLman on the team and he is the worst starter on the whole line. Saturday has just gotten too old and cannot handle strong defensive linemen anymore. Put Pollak at C and a free agent/rookie at RT. Or re-sign C Johnson for a reasonable contract and put him at RT. But both vets need to be let go. There's no room for sentiment on a team that should threaten to win it all every season.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Thats the thing. The year we won the Superbowl we had one of the best lines in football. Glenn - Lilja - Saturday - Scott - Diem. There isn't a single player on the Colts line today who is better than his equivalent in 2006. Saturday is done, Diem is done. I feel that CJ would cost too much to resign. But if we cut Diem and Saturday it would give us the money to sign one of the top Free Agent Linemen like Nicks or Gaither.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Thats the thing. The year we won the Superbowl we had one of the best lines in football. Glenn - Lilja - Saturday - Scott - Diem. There isn't a single player on the Colts line today who is better than his equivalent in 2006. Saturday is done, Diem is done. I feel that CJ would cost too much to resign. But if we cut Diem and Saturday it would give us the money to sign one of the top Free Agent Linemen like Nicks or Gaither.
I think Diem is gone for sure. Saturday I think they might keep around which will be a mistake. I thought Nicks had already been re-signed but that would be an incredible pick up. I would be happy even with a lesser guard signing like Davin Joseph from Tampa Bay or Marshal Yanda from Baltimore. Gaither would of course also be a great pick up as the LT of the future.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a bad feeling that they'll give CJ an extension.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Polian if the Colts take an offensive or defensive lineman, that player will not make impact right away. The players will be like Fili Moala. Woo i just get the feeling we won't address the lines till after the 1st round.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am all on the Ben Ijalana train. He went to my high school, was on my track team and is a great dude. Was very under the radar through much of his career sans his SR year where he got some looks. He really is a hard worker, very smart guy and would be an awesome addition.

Sorry for the fan-boying but it's cool to know someone who'll be in the NFL.......

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
According to Polian if the Colts take an offensive or defensive lineman, that player will not make impact right away. The players will be like Fili Moala. Woo i just get the feeling we won't address the lines till after the 1st round.
I posted that earlier. I don't think I really hate anybody but sometimes I think I might hate him.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like others, I get the sinking feeling that Polian is going to screw this draft up as well. We need new players at LT, RT, C and one guard spot.

Other areas of concern draft wise:

I'd also like to bring up the CB position. For whatever reason, both Powers and Hayden seem more injury prone than other corners. We traded a draft pic for Tyrone from teh Skins and I think he could be an adequate #3 corner with Lacey taking snaps as a #4/dime. That said, more depth at corner wouldn't help. Thomas that we drafted in the 3rd from last year from USC should be in the mix, but a later round pic focusing on CB would be a welcome site. Still need more depth at safety as well. Bobzilla will be 30 years old at the start of the 2011 season and hasn't played in 2+ years effectively. Bullit is a FA and Silvia is a special teamer at best.

We also need another RB -a shifty speedy guy who can turn screens and dump passes into 1st down gains.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Wildwood

My Mock Draft for fun. I like Paea and Ijalana alot.

1 DT Stephen Paea - Oregon State (run stopper - prevent 10min+ drives)
2 OG Ben Ijalana - Villanova (protect QB and good run blocker)
3 OT Marcus Gilbert - Florida (protect the blind side)
4 DT Phil Taylor - Baylor (big heavy run stopper)
5 SS Joe Lefeged - Rutgers (fast safety with good size)
6 WR Ryan Whalen - Stanford (good dependable wideout)
7 CB Cortez Allen - The Citadel (good speed)

Last edited by Wildwood : 01-13-2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Changed my mind.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

If the draft turned out like that I wouldn't mind at all.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Yeah, I like that draft, Wildwood.

I was watching Phil Taylor at Penn State his freshman year and I thought that he would be a 1st round pick eventually. He looked very quick for a 330lbs guy. As a matter of fact, I actually thought that he should use his power more. Despite his size, he actually looked more comfortable going around the blocker rather then through him.

I haven't seen him lately though, so I can't really comment on what kind of a prospect he is now.

With that being said, I'm not sure Colts need to draft two DTs. Moala and Mathews showed a lot of promise this season and I believe both of them still have plenty of upside. We also have Muir and Johnson.

If Colts were to get Paea, I think they would be in good shape at that position.

Maybe another talented LB, OL or RB with that pick.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not even impressed all that much with Bullit. I mean he is solid, but he isn't a star. I think an upgrade at the safety position could really shore up our run defense. I don't get the feeling that Bob Sanders is ever going to be able to stay healthy. I love the guy, but sometimes you got to cut your losses.

What do you guys think?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Safety position is a top 5 need for us. As a matter of fact, it might be a bigger need then DT. Mathews and Moala have shown a lot of promise and if they continue to develop, we could be in good shape here.

As far as safety goes, even if either Sanders or Bullitt come back healthy, we still have little depth.

It would be great if both come back healthy, but we wouldn't be able to afford to keep both once Melvin hits Free Agency.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Renegotiate Sanders contract or cut him. It sucks but he cannot stay healthy. Also, Bullitt is not good enough to be a starter IMO.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
Renegotiate Sanders contract or cut him. It sucks but he cannot stay healthy. Also, Bullitt is not good enough to be a starter IMO.
The last thing you want, though, is Sanders magically healing up after being cut and playing like a Pro Bowler next year for, say, the Texans, or the Patriots.

I say keep him on the roster for as long as possible - he's too valuable (in terms of potential) to let go just yet.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanders hasn't played for a meaningful time period in over 2.5 seasons. Guess he has a bunch of potential then! lol Basically he hasn't contributed a great deal to our defense since the '07 season. Sure, we could ask him to cut his base salary and play for incentives but he'll be 30 years old at the start of the '11 season. Makes little sense to me to keep Sanders at his current salary. He makes way too much $ to keep around around and risk him getting hurt. Bullit is solid as a 2nd string player and might start for a handful of teams with weak players. He'll live on in the hearts of all Colts fans for making the tackle on the 4th and 2 play last year vs. the Pats.

Francisco is a special teamer at best imv. We need to draft a safety somewhere in the draft, perhaps 4th or 5th round.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
colts_fan8818
Rookie

colts_fan8818 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
The last thing you want, though, is Sanders magically healing up after being cut and playing like a Pro Bowler next year for, say, the Texans, or the Patriots.

I say keep him on the roster for as long as possible - he's too valuable (in terms of potential) to let go just yet.
That's a terrible idea. Sanders will never be healthy again, and if he is there is no guarantee that he will be playing at his previous level. If he doesn't take a pay cut, he needs to be cut. I think the risk involved in letting him go is minimal.
colts_fan8818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

The Colts cut ties with RB coach Gene Huey today for some reason. This is the guy that coached Marshall Faulk and Edge. If I hear some nonsense from Polian about this being a move "to improve the run game" I will be pissed. Hopefully there is other reasoning behind it that we just don't/can't know about.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Do we still have the same Special Team's coach?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Of course.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

And I was beginning to worry.

Watch, another 1st round RB this year.

Last edited by MaxV : 01-18-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Mark Whatshisname. I'm blanking. But yeah, it would not surprise me. It is painfully obvious to me that OL is the problem but I guess I just don't have the secret football knowledge Bill Polian has.

i done stole dis sig