Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
I don't deny that to be true Xiomera & Prowler, but let's face it ... KVB is not "cut" material to Schwartz (yet).

Peterman, yup I could see that ... KVB no way.
I don't think he'll be cut. I said I'd PREFER that he be cut instead of not having the funds to sign Avril.

But that's personal preference.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I don't think he'll be cut. I said I'd PREFER that he be cut instead of not having the funds to sign Avril.

But that's personal preference.
Got it!

Like Scotty D said, his positioning seemed ill-placed this year. That "wide 9" scheme really is sort of the "wildcat" formation circa 2008 :o) I mean once a team finds a way to beat you, or play effectively against it, it's met it's maker. Gimmicky schematics means to me they are lacking talent & trying to cover it up. (like a 1-3-1 zone in hoops) Maybe it's not on the DE (KVB) maybe it's on Levy & Durant? I am a fan of OLB pressure in the NFL, which Gunn's schemes do very little of.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
He's my choice, yes, but not if it prevents them from adding a starting-caliber defender or if it's the difference between affording Tulloch or a lesser MLB.
No doubt Mayhew is sitting down and working on our cap problems to see who he can keep and who must be let go, that's his job and it isn't an easy one.
He probably needs to know exactly who is on the FA market before he makes his decisions and get a feel for their asking prices including our FA's.
I don't think anything is fixed in stone at this point and we are just going to have to wait to see which direction he takes.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
No doubt Mayhew is sitting down and working on our cap problems to see who he can keep and who must be let go, that's his job and it isn't an easy one.
He probably needs to know exactly who is on the FA market before he makes his decisions and get a feel for their asking prices including our FA's.
I don't think anything is fixed in stone at this point and we are just going to have to wait to see which direction he takes.
I disagree. I think Mayhew already has a very good idea as to what he plans on doing with some current roster players, which FA's are likely to hit the market and their probable market value. He can't just wait until FA starts to make his decisions, he has to have a gameplan which I'm sure will be implemented in short order.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
BillySims
Rookie

Location: Look on a world globe. You can see where GOD set his left hand when he set this world to spinning.
BillySims is a cocksman.BillySims is a cocksman.BillySims is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'm not worried about Calvin's contract numbers. The lowered rookie salaries will lead to a decrease in veteran pay plus the salary cap will continue to rise. There should be plenty of money in the future.
You are correct. All we have to do is sign Calvin to an extension making him the top paid WR, while being cap friendly for 2 years. In 2014, the cap is going to skyrocket upwards. At which time, so can CJ's, Stafford's, and Suh's pay.

Leading the way back to respect !
BillySims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soooo. Not a big deal. But Jonny Culbreath got caught with weed. 7th round tackle, we'll see what the Lions do. He was probably practice squad at best anyway.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We talkin to everybody

View full sizeAP File PhotoRe-signing Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson is still a high priority, according to team president Tom Lewand.
INDIANAPOLIS -- Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand has a good problem heading into this offseason.

The Lions have 25 players entering free agency and Lewand must decide who he will re-sign. Considering many of those players were key contributors on Detroit's recent playoff team, Lewand finally has good players to retain, not release.

"I'll take the problems of trying to keep a lot of good players instead of finding good players," Lewand said. "It's a definite better problem to have. You see teams around the league that face it all the time. You see teams that can reload on the run. You see teams that can make tough decisions and let good players go. We've been in a situation where players we've let go end their careers and don't play again. That's not what we're looking for.

"We're looking forward to the tough decisions we have to make. Hopefully, we can keep as many of those guys together and that nucleus together for as long as possible, but we know they're going to be some tough decisions we have to make along the way."

Lewand would not say how negotiations are going to give receiver Calvin Johnson an extension. Johnson is entering the final season of his contract. He made $8.875 million in 2011 and is slated to make $14 million next season.

However, Johnson could receive a more lucrative contract than Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald (eight years for $120 million).

In addition, the team is interested in re-signing defensive end Cliff Avril and Stephen Tulloch.

"We don't comment on negotiations," Lewand said. "It doesn't do any good to negotiate publicly. Having said that, I would say we're in active discussions with a lot of our players, certainly those that will be free agents. We've been in touch with all of their agents. We've had ongoing discussions with key guys, Cliff Avril, Stephen Tulloch, Eric Wright. The starters who are up (for contract renewal), Jeff Backus, Shaun Hill.

"We've been in touch with all of those guys and been in discussions with all of them and met with all of them. They're all at different stages. They always are. Different negotiations move at a different pace. We have had some discussions with Calvin. Obviously, the challenges for us going forward are different than the ones we faced in the recent past and that is keeping this nucleus of players we have together for as long as we can."
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I think Backus will be around 3 million.
He won't come that cheap. I'd guess he'll get 2 years $9 million, be it from Detroit or elsewhere.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
He won't come that cheap. I'd guess he'll get 2 years $9 million, be it from Detroit or elsewhere.
I don't see it with the torn biceps.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't see it with the torn biceps.
He'll be healed by training camp. He'll get paid good money. Other teams will absolutely pursue him.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM    (permalink
detroitsports
Rookie

detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Looks like we're gonna have to bring in Randy for the most prolific passing offense to ever happen.

Seriously though, I'd love to see Stanford Routt in Detroit.
detroitsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm trying to gauge what our priorities should be this offseason and setting value to our needs. I think the Lions should be built around:

1. Stafford
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Suh
4. Weapons on Offense
5. Oline
6. Dline
7. Secondary
8. Linebackers

1. Stafford is set with $15m/yr for the next 3 years.
2. CJ needs a long term deal without being too much of a dick about it. 8 years $130 million dollars should be about right for CJ. $16.25/yr with nice signing bonus up front to make him forget about losing out on 21 or so million this year.
3. Suh is our defensive icon and isn't going anywhere.
4. Titus, Burleson, Pettigrew, and Scheffler are nice pieces.
5. Backus is FA, Sims is here until 2015, Raiola can be upgraded with 2 years left, Peterman has 2 years left and I hate, Gosder is a FA after next season. After 2 seasons we will only have a left guard. We need some kind of plan for the future here. We can't rely on Corey Hilliard and Jason Fox as being the only stop gaps.
6. Avril may be too expensive, KVB is getting old and expensive, Suh, Fairley, and SLH should be the focus. Its time to lose Corey Williams' $6m. We should ideally focus on Avril/Suh/Fairley/High Draft Pick.
7. We need a top cover guy and an impact guy back here. I can't fully count on Delmas staying healthy either. Corner or safety, we could use a starter.
8. I personally love linebackers, but they aren't as important when we're blowing teams out with a healthy Stafford. We could definitely use a Zach Brown type to cover TEs, but we have other needs. I like Tulloch, Levy, and Durant but they may be casualties of the salary cap squeeze.

Charting my thinking to our starters
(how much I like the player)Player(importance to our future)

10Stafford10
-We live and die by his arm
7Best3
-too easy to replace with speed RBs
10Calvin10 7Burleson6 8Titus6 9Pettigrew7
-Calvin plus diversions
6Backus2 8Sims7 5Raiola3 4Peterman4 5Cherilus4
-Backus age 34, Raiola age 33, Gosder FA will need insurance

9Avril9 10Suh10 7Williams2 6KVB1
-You don't draft 2 DTs in 1st round and think Williams is the future. KVB also only has another couple seasons left in his tank
7Levy5 7Tulloch4 7Durant5
-Position is influenced by potential nickel and dime looks negating importance
6Wright4 7Delmas7 5Spievey3 6Houston4
-Corners should be more important than just 4s, but its reflective that they are just number 2 types. Needs an upgrade plus I think Spievey was alright at times but isn't anything special.

So needs....
1. Resign Calvin
2. Lay groundwork for future of our oline. Need to add 1-3 players either through draft or with Fox stepping up.
3. Move Corey Williams if possible to free up Fairley and resign SLH.
4. Bring back Avril provided the money is right. I think 6 years $50 million is fair...the Panthers thought 6 years $76m was...I'm not going above $50-55m.
5. Pass rush must be addressed with a high pick this year in the draft. KVB's age and decline can be negated with a deep dline rotation, but the staple of our defense is the dline. We need another beast at DE, especially if Avril turns out to be too expensive.
6. Look for a Janoris Jenkins/Dre Kirkpatrick/Mark Barron in the draft.
7. Make the best starting combination of linebackers out of Levy, Tulloch, Durant, Carpenter, and Palmer as possible with whatever scraps of money are left over. Hogue is not starting.

That priority sheet would leave us with a hopeful offseason of:
Avril resigning for $50m over 6 years.
Drafting priorities of: Oline, DE, CB, S, LB

I expect they should draft something like this:

Mike Adams-I don't trust him at all and still view him as a 2nd rounder but we need to do something. Risk is lessened by Gosder being a FA after his rookie year. I personally prefer going with Jenkins or Mercilus but Adams is the pick due to organizational priorities.
Cam Johnson-quality every down DE and should thrive in d rotation
Ben Jones-I think he dropped a bit after Senior Bowl, but I still like him enough.
Sean Spence-Coverage skills trump lack of size.

Final thoughts:

I don't know how the salary cap fits in exactly, but those are the priorities. I'm assuming that if Calvin gets restructured and Avril signs for a reasonable amount then Tulloch will be gone along with Wright. I'm hoping that Backus can be brought back, but if we draft Adams then it won't be as important.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

He was one of the best defenders we had last season, but at his age, I can't help but wonder if cutting Corey Williams is the way to go. I mean, come on. You'd rather have Avril back than Williams if it comes down to it (and fitting Avril in while attempting to make ANY new additions will be unlikely). Besides, DT is still our position with the best depth. Makes sense to jettison a DT before a DE here.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Routt signed 3 yrs 20 mil with the Chiefs. Carr is almost certainly going to hit the market now. Not sure if is the type of CB we are looking for but the more CBs available the better.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love him. If nothing else, he should drive down the price of our guys.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone seen any updates on how the Megatron contract extension talks are coming along?

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ressing-along/

Quote:
Both sides are open to getting a new deal done that will keep Johnson in Detroit for years to come while also giving the Lions flexibility to address other needs this offseason. General manager Martin Mayhew is slated to have a face-to-face meeting with Johnson’s agent Bus Cook on Saturday, but the G.M. says that things are already “progressing along” toward a resolution.

Cook shared Mayhew’s belief that a deal can get done and spoke to the Detroit Free-Press about the time frame for a new contract. If the Lions can’t get it done by the start of free agency on March 13th, there could be a negative impact on their ability to sign players from other teams and/or retain their own free agents.

“I don’t know,” Cook said about the time frame. “That depends on the team, where they stand with their cap in two weeks and what they want to do and how they want to structure things. We’ll just see what happens.”

Mayhew said that the team has formulated a plan to move forward without paring down Johnson’s cap number before the start of free agency, but given the desire on both sides to get something done it seems like there’s a pretty good chance they won’t have to put it into action.
Looks like it just depends on final strategy and cap allocation throughout the years. I have confidence that it will be done in another week or two.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Getting Calvin signed long term would be huge for the franchise.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Getting Calvin signed long term would be huge for the franchise.
It's always been just a matter of when. There's no way they'd let him leave.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So it's not looking like Tulloch is going to be resigned. I thought he was very disappointing so I'm not upset by this. What about moving Durant to MLB? He has the frame for it at 6-1 240. He is much more athletic than Tulloch IMO. I thought Durant was our best LB by far last season (when healthy). Odds are they will probably move Levy back to MLB but I'd love to see Durant get a shot.
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotts1 View Post
So it's not looking like Tulloch is going to be resigned. I thought he was very disappointing so I'm not upset by this. What about moving Durant to MLB? He has the frame for it at 6-1 240. He is much more athletic than Tulloch IMO. I thought Durant was our best LB by far last season (when healthy). Odds are they will probably move Levy back to MLB but I'd love to see Durant get a shot.
Heard from an incredibly good source that the Lions goal is to keep Levy on the outside. If they dont sign Tulloch, they are gonna look for another veteran free agent at MLB for a reasonable price. They are really looking for a MLB, so if Kuelchy (sp) is available at 23 (I assume he is a pure MLB, not sure) we could take him. Also, do not be shocked if we pass on Oline to address other needs like we have done for years. Oline is not a priority to upper management in so far as we have all the other tools to minimize the Oline weakness, think Peyton Mannings Colts.
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

A huge IF here but if the Lions could get CJ and Avril signed they could throw the tag on Tulloch.

I can't remember if Iamcanadian said this but I think they are going to end up with basically the same team next year with the added draft class. Is that enough to win the super bowl? Probably not. Having a healthy Leshoure and Best for a whole season could be a wild card in the situation. I'm secretly hoping Mayhew can pull something out of his ass and make a splash in free agency.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

After we turnover our oline with draft picks and resign CJ and Suh then we'll finally be in decent cap shape. Probably 2 seasons from now. I almost don't want Avril. I would rather have control over Nick Perry or Mercilus for 4 years $7.5-8m total. Take that saved money and resign some linebackers or corners.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
After we turnover our oline with draft picks and resign CJ and Suh then we'll finally be in decent cap shape. Probably 2 seasons from now. I almost don't want Avril. I would rather have control over Nick Perry or Mercilus for 4 years $7.5-8m total. Take that saved money and resign some linebackers or corners.
That's kinda been my thinking. Let Avril walk and take BPA DE in the first (assuming there is value there). From what I have heard we will probably sign Avril to a long contract.
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, we are on the verge of winning a Super Bowl or at least putting up the good fight. We aren't in a position where we want to shake up anything unless the cap forces us to. I doubt Schwartz want much change and would prefer to stay status quo with just added draft picks.

Of course there are going to be changes whether we like it or not since the cap will force issues on us. Tullock and Avril will have to be worked out and I'd like another pass rusher to replace KVB but I'm not holding my breath.