Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He would have been very useful this week and we could have kept him as Wright walked next year.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would have been sweet at the time but he is 31 years old. Probably best that this trade didn't happen.
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty sure the Eagles will cut Samuel this offseason due to his salary so the Lions might still get him without having to spend any draft picks.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Pretty sure the Eagles will cut Samuel this offseason due to his salary so the Lions might still get him without having to spend any draft picks.
Except the Lions won't have anywhere near the cap space. They're already in deep **** when it comes to retaining Tulloch and Avril, among others.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to see us let tulloch walk, resign avril draft a LB and sign either Samuel or Finnegan in FA with the money saved form tulloch. And probly letting corey williams go
Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tulloch is great, but he's the replaceable one due to Levy's versatility. Levy is practically two people and he'll be cheaper. Avril gets resigned and I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a DE if one fell to us in the 1st round. I expect Mayhew to be able to keep us in a good position.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let Tulloch go. He didn't impress me at all last night. Bobby Carpenter may well be able to play at a comparable level.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After the past two weeks, I'm fine with Tulloch and Wright walking. I'd like to see Wlliams cut and KVB too for cap space. There are some FA's who can really upgrade us at CB this offseason if everything holds as is. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Finnegan re-unite with Schwartz.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Mayhew doesn't spend big on long-term deals. If he did, we'd have Jonathan Joseph.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
After the past two weeks, I'm fine with Tulloch and Wright walking. I'd like to see Wlliams cut and KVB too for cap space. There are some FA's who can really upgrade us at CB this offseason if everything holds as is. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Finnegan re-unite with Schwartz.
You don't think that might leave the cupboard a little bit too bare? Yes, I understand that you will always have some turnover on the roster but losing 3-4 contributors? That's a lot. I think you have to make a choice between KVB and Williams. I could care less about Wright [get a guy who can tackle]. Tulloch.... we will see. I'm not sure I necessarily agree that Carpenter can come in and just play as well as him.

Either way, what CBs do you see being on our shopping list other than Finnegan?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Last edited by wingboy2999 : 01-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I don't think Wright is a liability as a tackler. Amari Spievey on the other hand ....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
You don't think that might leave the cupboard a little bit too bare? Yes, I understand that you will always have some turnover on the roster but losing 3-4 contributors? That's a lot. I think you have to make a choice between KVB and Williams. I could care less about Wright [get a guy who can tackle]. Tulloch.... we will see. I'm not sure I necessarily agree that Carpenter can come in and just play as well as him.

Either way, what CBs do you see being on our shopping list other than Finnegan?
I think Asante Samuel will be available and I'd like to see him come in. Carlos Rogers possibly if the Niners don't retain him.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I don't think Wright is a liability as a tackler. Amari Spievey on the other hand ....
I have to disagree. Wright is a nightmare when it comes to tackling.

I thought that Spievey was playing good football through most of the season, but either I was completely wrong or he just tanked at the end. Either way, I'm not comfortable with him moving forward.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think these guys are out there

Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Cortland Finnegan
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Marcus Trufant
Rashean Mathis

Michael Griffin
Laron Landry

Let Wright walk. I was done with him after the first game in NO when he gave up on that long TD. Bring Tulloch back if you can't get an upgrade.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I have to disagree. Wright is a nightmare when it comes to tackling.

I thought that Spievey was playing good football through most of the season, but either I was completely wrong or he just tanked at the end. Either way, I'm not comfortable with him moving forward.
Wright has faults and I want him gone, but it's his coverage, not tackling, that's alarming.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I think these guys are out there

Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Cortland Finnegan
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Marcus Trufant
Rashean Mathis

Michael Griffin
Laron Landry

Let Wright walk. I was done with him after the first game in NO when he gave up on that long TD. Bring Tulloch back if you can't get an upgrade.
I actually like all of those potential FA corners. Carr and Finnegan would be nice due to familiarity with Gunther and Schwartz.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everybody seems to be worried about CB's but if you ask me, the DL let us down on Sunday not the CB's. You cannot give Brees all day to throw the ball and expect our CB's can survive. Even our LB's were exposed in pass coverage because the front four didn't get the job done.

Suh had a horrible season/game, teams have learned how to use his strengths against him and unless he learns to adjust, he will never reach the potential we all expected.

Corey Williams and Vanden Bosch look like they had reached the point where their skills have diminished and need to be replaced. Bosch isn't providing any pass rush and teams are running on us like we have no run stoppers on the DL.

IMO, blaming the CB's is absurd, they can get the job done if the defensive line can pressure the QB and not allow him to sit back there all day till a WR comes open.

If we cannot get a pass rush out of our DL, then even LB becomes a higher priority than CB, because when asked to pass cover with no pass rush, our LB's were just too slow to get the job done.

Maybe Gunter Cunningham isn't the man for the DC job, just maybe we need a more aggressive DC who can make better use of the blitz to cover up some of our weaknesses. Cunningham simply doesn't utilize the blitz much and IMO, didn't adjust well to the situation defensively on Sunday.

As for signing a bunch of high priced FA's, I seriously doubt it happens, when a team goes from 0-16 to 10-6 and makes the playoffs, players expect a huge raise and retaining your starters becomes problematical.

We are going to have very few spare dollars to even look at the best FA's unless we are prepared to make deep cuts on our roster. Just don't see it happening.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Everybody seems to be worried about CB's but if you ask me, the DL let us down on Sunday not the CB's. You cannot give Brees all day to throw the ball and expect our CB's can survive. Even our LB's were exposed in pass coverage because the front four didn't get the job done.

Suh had a horrible season/game, teams have learned how to use his strengths against him and unless he learns to adjust, he will never reach the potential we all expected.

Corey Williams and Vanden Bosch look like they had reached the point where their skills have diminished and need to be replaced. Bosch isn't providing any pass rush and teams are running on us like we have no run stoppers on the DL.

IMO, blaming the CB's is absurd, they can get the job done if the defensive line can pressure the QB and not allow him to sit back there all day till a WR comes open.

If we cannot get a pass rush out of our DL, then even LB becomes a higher priority than CB, because when asked to pass cover with no pass rush, our LB's were just too slow to get the job done.

Maybe Gunter Cunningham isn't the man for the DC job, just maybe we need a more aggressive DC who can make better use of the blitz to cover up some of our weaknesses. Cunningham simply doesn't utilize the blitz much and IMO, didn't adjust well to the situation defensively on Sunday.

As for signing a bunch of high priced FA's, I seriously doubt it happens, when a team goes from 0-16 to 10-6 and makes the playoffs, players expect a huge raise and retaining your starters becomes problematical.

We are going to have very few spare dollars to even look at the best FA's unless we are prepared to make deep cuts on our roster. Just don't see it happening.
When a team gives up over 1,000 yards through the air over a two game span and the CB's drop several potentially game-changing INT's in the process, blaming them is the furthest thing from absurd.

I'm not saying that the rest of the defense is without fault, but c'mon man. It's not like they were being asked to cover for 5 seconds per snap.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
When a team gives up over 1,000 yards through the air over a two game span and the CB's drop several potentially game-changing INT's in the process, blaming them is the furthest thing from absurd.

I'm not saying that the rest of the defense is without fault, but c'mon man. It's not like they were being asked to cover for 5 seconds per snap.
First, the DL couldn't stop the run putting a lot of pressure on the back 7, then IMO, Brees had oodles of time to find his receivers, after all, how many reception have been deep patterns, that takes time and our DL gave him plenty of it.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

I do believe that Gunther needs to stop with the single mindedness of "playing the rush on the way to the qb". Yes, get your penetration, but be a little more mindful of the RB on 1st down please.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

While I agree with the fact that the Dline didn't do great. They did make some plays, plays that our secondary failed to take advantage of.

Pressure goes both ways, our dline advantage can also be taken away by quick passes becasue our cbs can't cover. (Raiders game is the perfect example). We should only expect our dline to get better with Fairley healthy next to Suh and Avril.

Secondary on the other hand is not developing. These are veterans and untalented ones. When you play Arod 2xs a year and has to beat him atleast once in order to have decent odds at home field you MUST improve the secondary
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
First, the DL couldn't stop the run putting a lot of pressure on the back 7, then IMO, Brees had oodles of time to find his receivers, after all, how many reception have been deep patterns, that takes time and our DL gave him plenty of it.
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/e...7808214024.jpg

^ Remember this play? Meachem came to a near-complete stop to wait for the ball and still jogged into the endzone because no one was within 20 yards of him. THAT'S on the DL?

And how does that explain the dropped INT's or the nearly 500 yards and 6 TD's Matt ******* Flynn put up on us?

Anyways, I'm on record as disagreeing that blaming the CB's is absurd. We can just agree to disagree.

Last edited by noondog : 01-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
While I agree with the fact that the Dline didn't do great. They did make some plays, plays that our secondary failed to take advantage of.

Quote:
How many rushing yards did we give up??? It looked to me that they could have beat us just running the ball, if you don't think that doesn't put extreme pressure on the back 7???? How many sacks, tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and hurries did they produce, not a whole lot by my reckoning.

Our DB's and LB's were left on an island to make do the best they could and in those types of circumstances, it is never pretty.
Pressure goes both ways, our dline advantage can also be taken away by quick passes becasue our cbs can't cover. (Raiders game is the perfect example). We should only expect our dline to get better with Fairley healthy next to Suh and Avril.

Quote:
I certainly hope for a better season from Suh because he wasn't much this year. As for quick passes, CB's cannot play tight if they know they won't get a strong pass rush, they are forced to play off because they know the QB will have all day to find his receivers.
Secondary on the other hand is not developing. These are veterans and untalented ones. When you play Arod 2xs a year and has to beat him atleast once in order to have decent odds at home field you MUST improve the secondary
I'm not saying our secondary is solid I'm just pointing out that we will never know if they can get the job done as long as the QB has all day to throw the ball. No DB can survive or look good in that circumstance.

Maybe it is Cunningham who needs to go, maybe he is the reason for our problems, maybe we need a far more aggressive DC to offset our lack of a pass rush.
I don't pretend to have all the answers but I know this, if our DL plays like this next year, we won't be taking the next step forward, so some solution needs to be found.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/e...7808214024.jpg

^ Remember this play? Meachem came to a near-complete stop to wait for the ball and still jogged into the endzone because no one was within 20 yards of him. THAT'S on the DL?

And how does that explain the dropped INT's or the nearly 500 yards and 6 TD's Matt ******* Flynn put up on us?

Anyways, I'm on record as disagreeing that blaming the CB's is absurd. We can just agree to disagree.
OK, although I'm not saying we are solid in the DB, just that we will never know as long as the DL cannot apply any pressure.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

Quote:
OK, although I'm not saying we are solid in the DB, just that we will never know as long as the DL cannot apply any pressure.
I hear you bro, I hear you. It would be nice to hear the words "coverage sack" once in a while too though, you know?

Anyways, I think the big stage of the playoffs was pretty overwhelming for the team, never mind having to go up against Brees on the road. I think we'll learn from the game and be better for it in the long run. There are most def holes to fill, specifically on the D, and I'll leave it at that.