Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Staff news

Shurmur in as HC.

A lot of speculation about who the rest of the staff will be...

Grossi has tweeted that Browns are trying to fit Seeley and Ryan on Shurmur's staff if chemistry is right. Also mentioned that Juaron will be a fallback at DC if Ryan doesn't stay. ESPN reporting Browns are interested in Wannstedt as DC.

I was really hoping for Fox as DC but Denver took that option away.

Let's get some activity going in the Cleveland sub-forum!
j05son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Beat me by 2 minutes! Where have you been??

I feel like any of those DC's would be solid if they were to get them. I like Ryan still, especially if he does get the players he needs on defense. I felt like that defense was on its last leg the last quarter of the season. It was horrible watching.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.j05son is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been around =] Posted as some other boards, see Keylime at the OBR a lot but I just can't keep going to that place. It's like a board full of Iamcanadian. So doooooooooown.

Also, Shurmur to call plays on offense. Ryan is set to interview in Dallas so he's probably not being retained. Also, Eagles OLine coach is rumored to be our OC. I can't remember his name. I remember reading an article about it a while ago, and the philly beat writer said it would be a big loss for Andy Reid. Plus Shurmur has Philly roots and we all know Heckert does as well. It makes sense.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:12 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob Ryan is interviewing for the DC job at Dallas, was just wondering what you guys thought of the job he did in Cleveland. How would you see him fitting in with the players we have in Dallas?

Any info would be great, thanks.

p.s.

I voted for Peyton Hillis for the pro bowl, love that guy.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j05son View Post
I've been around =] Posted as some other boards, see Keylime at the OBR a lot but I just can't keep going to that place. It's like a board full of Iamcanadian. So doooooooooown.

Also, Shurmur to call plays on offense. Ryan is set to interview in Dallas so he's probably not being retained. Also, Eagles OLine coach is rumored to be our OC. I can't remember his name. I remember reading an article about it a while ago, and the philly beat writer said it would be a big loss for Andy Reid. Plus Shurmur has Philly roots and we all know Heckert does as well. It makes sense.
lol Iamcanadian. I don't know if that guy was even capable of joy...or optimism.

I'm worried about the Shurmur hiring, as I know almost nothing about the guy. I don't want either Seely or Ryan to leave (especially Ryan), but I don't have a lot of hope for either.

I'm nervous about basically everything at this point. I don't want to see half the team turned over just because it's a new HC that wants his own guys.
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 PM    (permalink
STsACE
Rookie

STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.STsACE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Rob Ryan is interviewing for the DC job at Dallas, was just wondering what you guys thought of the job he did in Cleveland. How would you see him fitting in with the players we have in Dallas?

Any info would be great, thanks.

p.s.

I voted for Peyton Hillis for the pro bowl, love that guy.
Rob is a player's coach. Everyone loved playing for him and he get's the most out of what he's got. Even gets guys off the street playing commendable ball.

My biggest concern (probably more just a personnel thing), he seems to try to get too creative with his blitzing. We just didn't have the guys here in Cleveland for that as mentioned.

He's very passionate. If you guys get him, I think he'll do better than he did here. He's got a great defensive mind and pedigree, just never had an entire D with the talent to get him the respect Rex got from coaching B-More.
STsACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Tom Servo
Rookie

Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jauron in as DC. Not sure how I feel about it. I think I think it sux.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Jauron in as DC. Not sure how I feel about it. I think I think it sux.
I really like the fact that we'll be running a 4-3 now (I wouldn't have had the same feelings a year ago).

Quote:
Jauron was head coach of the Chicago Bears from 1999-2003 and was named the 2001 Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year. That season, the Bears’ defense ranked first in the NFL in points allowed (203) and second in rushing yards allowed (82.1 pg) en route to a 13-3 record and their first NFC Central Division Championship since 1990.

Prior to his stint in Chicago, Jauron served as the defensive coordinator for the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars from 1995-98, helping lead the team to three playoff appearances in four years, including the AFC Championship game in 1996 and the AFC Central Division title in 1998.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
j05son
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Chris Tabor has been hired as ST coordinator. Looks like a very good hire. He was an assistant ST coach for Chicago. He's been groomed in a successful system: John Harbough Philly ST coordinator and Dave Toub spent 3 years as his assistant before becoming Chicago's ST coordinator where Chris Tabor has spent 3 years as Toub's assistant and is now our ST coordinator.

Dave Toub hopes one thing comes out of Chicago's special team success: a coordinator job elsewhere for his capable assistant Chris Tabor.

"He is so ready," Toub said. "I've been in that role, same as him three years as an assistant when I was in Philly. This is his third year and I know how he feels. He's needs to get his own spot. He has the system, he can motivate, he's a great teacher. The guys respect him. It's time."

Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Decided to stir the pot a little regarding HC Pat Shurmur. Obviously it's way too early to tell how good of a HC he'll be, but I have some concerns about whether he's the right man for the job. Just based on a couple of things I've noticed over the past couple of months. And I'll probably get ripped for this, but oh well. Just keep in mind these are just initial impressions I have.

1) He doesn't seem to have much charisma, and comes across almost as a little shy. Just makes me worry whether he'll be able to inspire the players, or lead them as you'd hope your HC would be capable of doing. As he gets more comfortable and players start arriving after a new CBA is reached maybe he'll show a little more charisma and confidence.

2) This is just something a little odd. But when they had the press conference after his hire, a question was asked about his former boss, HC Spagnoulo(?). While answering he said some nice things about him, but almost the whole time was scratching the top of his nose with his middle finger. Had not seen him do that during any other part of the press conference. Seemed too prolonged and intentional to me. If he did do that as some sign of disrespect, then how well is he going to handle relationships while HC in Cleveland? As I said, just something odd I noticed that made me wonder what kind of guy he is.

3) This is this biggest worry I have. I had recorded all of the Browns games on DVR to watch during the off-season. Leading up to the draft I watched most of them before deleting to create some space. While watching the pre-season game against the Rams, Kosar kept saying throughout the game what a terrible job of play calling the Rams were doing. He grew more and more frustrated with them even though they were the opponent. During the later stages of the game they had a 3rd and long (17 I believe), and Kosar was emphatic, "That is a terrible formation for 3rd and 17. Terrible!". Now, the coach on the sideline giving the QB the plays was not Pat Shurmur, and they never showed whether he was in the booth calling plays down, at least not in the edited version of the game that was shown on STO. So I don't even know if Shurmur was involved that game in the very conservative and according to Kosar, terrible playcalling. But it's hard to imagine he wasn't at least in the booth calling plays down. If he was, makes me worry about him calling plays for the Browns. Would have felt more comfortable if they had hired an OC after Shurmur was hired. Not sure us Browns fans can stomach playcalling that could potentially be worse than Daboll's the two last seasons. 2011 will be a disaster if Shurmur calls plays that bad.

And I actually liked the hire initially considering who else was being considered. Not so confident in the selection of Shurmur as HC at this point in time.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First, he is going to have a really tough time as all 1st year HC's will this season. Short training period if the lockout lasts is terrible for a new HC.
It could be a really tough year for first year HC's.
Second, few OC's, even though fans like to think they do, actually draw up a complete offensive scheme on their own. It has to pass through the HC who changes what he wants and can insist on a certain style of play. Ditto for DC's.
Only OC's and DC's who have held down their jobs for years get the privlidge of calling plays on their own without approval of a HC. Even some of them have to get approval before a game plan ios accepted.
I'll give him a shot but considering our talent base is weak, the team will likely remain a stinker.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. I'll give Shurmur a shot, but also realize this could end up being a tough year despite the team having some decent talent on the roster. Guess I'd just like to see an OC hired who is a big enough name that he can basically set up the gameplans. Have a bad feeling about Shurmur in that regard. But we'll see, And if it ends up being a disaster of a season we'll have a shot at Luck in the 2012 draft. I'm also willing to give McCoy a chance at QB, but am worried he might be one of those QB's that is just good enough to get a HC fired. Time will tell.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote