Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Worked for Kobe, I dont think its a bad strategy. Kobe and Ray Lewis have already proven that reputations can be rebuilt, mainly by success on the field.
Oh and change your facial hair. Its like theyre breaking out of prison haha

So lets get the list straight

Big ring
Haircut
Change facial hair
Some type of minor personal change to change the way people refer to you (jersey number/no longer 'big ben')
immediate success at sport

Ben hits them all. This is tigers problem, he only changed a little facial hair, thats just not gunna cut it.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I disagree. I think Brady controlled the clock and the ball well. It's easy to sit here and say that they were all short, easy passes but that's all that was needed. If St. L plays a little tighter coverage than Brady would have actually had to throw it down field.

I applaud him for not losing his cool and trying to force a big play just because the clock was ticking. He clearly gave several looks to his wide receivers on every play (except the one where he threw it way) and made the smartest decision for his team.

It wasn't the most "awesome drive ever" that ended with a 60 yard bomb for a touchdown or anything like that, no. But it was a smart drive by a smart QB.
The cool calm of Brady through that drive is what got him the rep as the most clutch QB in the game. And rightfully so - going by later performances.

Dude has ice in his veins during that drive.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
exactly. why the need to make it more than it was? it was *not* one of the greatest drives ever.
Yes, I'll agree. it was not one of the greatest drives ever. but it was a good drive. It is an argument for Brady's talent. I think it's silly to say Stephen McGee could have done the same thing.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Yes, I'll agree. it was not one of the greatest drives ever. but it was a good drive. It is an argument for Brady's talent. I think it's silly to say Stephen McGee could have done the same thing.
I just said that McGee could have made every one of those reads/throws. I don't know if he could have not crapped his pants, but each individual play were ones he could easily have done. For crying out loud, Brady checked down EVERY SINGLE TIME but the one to Brown. We're not talking about bubble screens or even quick slants. We're talking about swing passes. Literally, the least challenging throw in football to make.

All the way down the field.

The only impressive thing Brady did in that drive was keep his composure and manage the clock. Which, for a young guy like that was very, very impressive. But the dude posted that video and then said "/thread". Hah.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This seems as interesting a place as any to drop this for discussion:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=8627

Interesting article about support received by QB and how it correlates to playoff wins. Which basically restates what everyone who knows anything about football already knows: it takes a TEAM to win in the playoffs, so placing blame or credit on individuals is somewhat silly. I am glad, however, to see that people are finally coming around to the ideas of the myth of "clutch", the averageness of playoff Tom Brady, and the simplicity of a 30-40 yard FG drive.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post

/Thread.
intentional grounding.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does this mean everyone will get off Ben's dick as the best QB in the game?

He's 6th.

A) Brady / Manning
B) Rodgers
C) Rivers
D) Brees
E) Big Ben
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post

He's 6th.

A) Brady / Manning
B) Rodgers
C) Rivers
D) Brees
E) Big Ben
I would not put Rivers above Brees but beyond that I agree with that.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post

He's 6th.

A) Brady / Manning
B) Rodgers
C) Rivers
D) Brees
E) Big Ben
I think it's actually a small fraction of the entire football fan base that believe Ben is the best QB in the game. However, if you do believe that he is the best, I highly doubt this game sways your opinion.

But... you're probably just looking for a fight, so I guess I fell for that trap.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I would not put Rivers above Brees but beyond that I agree with that.
Yeah, it's close. Probably could have hyphenated them like I did with Brady and Manning.

As for people saying Ben was the best, in this thread and another there were a bunch of people saying how he's just so "clutch". I'm sick of the clutch label. "Clutch" is whatever happened last. Mental toughness is important, but clutchness is a crap argument. Ben was given a chance to win the game. He didn't. Does this make him the opposite of "clutch"? Of course not. Every QB has times they come up big, and times they don't.

Ben had a bad game, but it doesn't move him down in my rankings. However, had they won on some ridiculous catch and run, people would be all over the place saying how he's the best. Despite a shaky performance.

I did move Rodgers up in my rankings due to a ridiculous playoffs. But he has the total package to back it.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote