Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Kevin Kolb

So rumor is he's on the block now. If you were an NFL team would you make a play for him and at what price?

I'm a viking fan so i'm interested in what people think of him. I know he was impressive 2 years ago but not as much this last year. Thoughts?
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:31 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any link to back up the rumour?
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't. I think he is only a back up that could fill in nicely for 2 or 3 starts. He doesn't have that elite potential and I don't think he is a franchise guy.

The Vikings need that QB to take that talented team to a Super Bowl. I honestly think they would be better off with McNabb or Palmer.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
Any link to back up the rumour?
I think I've heard on the NFL Network that the Eagles will listen to offers for Kolb.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you are looking for a game manager who can move the team and make obvious throws most of the time, he is your guy. He can move on the boot pretty well. Still struggles with coverage recognition and holds the ball way too much. Doesn't trust his reads and his arm enough to let things fly and fit the ball into tight spaces. At the same time, he does show good touch on intermediate throws. Unfortunately will panic and check down way too often. If you protect him and add a good running game, he could take a team to a division title and the playoffs with consistency. I don't see him carrying a team for long stretches. Think Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. He could not lose you a Super Bowl if you had a world class D and a running game.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kolb is on the block, as rumored by reliable sources. However, the Eagles have his rights for 2011 at like $1.8mm. For them to lose a really good backup without getting back 2 #2's or a #1 wouldn't really be their style. At the same time, they're not in the business of losing him after 2011 for a compensatory choice.

I foresee him getting moved after the CBA closes for a future pick or 2.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Heisman
Rookie

Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/featu.../20110131#7869

^^thats the link on espn if you have insider, basically it just says they franchised vick so are now entertaining offers for kolb
Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Kolb is on the block, as rumored by reliable sources. However, the Eagles have his rights for 2011 at like $1.8mm. For them to lose a really good backup without getting back 2 #2's or a #1 wouldn't really be their style. At the same time, they're not in the business of losing him after 2011 for a compensatory choice.

The only thing is, you don't give up 2 2's or a 1 for a guy who isn't an elite guy. It's not worth it at all. He wasn't even a 1st round pick, so 2 2nd roud picks or a 1st are not even worth it. At best, I'd give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. He hasn't even proved he can be a successful starter in this league.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't understand this. How can Eagles fans overvalue him so much when they know he isn't that good and don't want him starting for their own team.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I never said that 2 #2's or a #1 is what he is worth. I'm saying that is pretty much what the Eagles would want for him. I don't know if Kolb is an elite guy. He can make the throws and can move enough, but I see some big gaps in his reads and his ability to feel pressure. When he had a full week to prepare, he had some great games, like when he torched Atlanta. Still, he looked lost against GB and had some other average games where he could have done better and didn't.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I don't understand this. How can Eagles fans overvalue him so much when they know he isn't that good and don't want him starting for their own team.
Again, not saying he's worth that much. I'm saying that is what the Eagles will ask for him. The market for QB is really really thin right now. The QB class in the draft is looking terrible, and Kolb might be the best QB available. The Eagles could easily keep him at a $1.8mm cap hit, so they can go out and ask for whatever they think someone will pay.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Again, not saying he's worth that much. I'm saying that is what the Eagles will ask for him. The market for QB is really really thin right now. The QB class in the draft is looking terrible, and Kolb might be the best QB available. The Eagles could easily keep him at a $1.8mm cap hit, so they can go out and ask for whatever they think someone will pay.
If that's the lowest they'll take for him they're dumb. No matter what he's leaving Philadelphia after this season. The $1.8 million is irrelevant. I don't care if he's making league minimum, a third round pick is always more valuable than one year of a backup QB.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Another thing you have to take in account is that if Vick gets in trouble again, I believe it's another automatic year long suspension, so there is a lot of risk. WOuld the Eagles trust Kafka as there backup QB?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can't get traded until there is a new CBA so that might drag into training camp, possibly further, lowering his value.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hes only worth a 3rd pick if that with limited game time it has really shown much .I thought he might be a good pick for SF for a cheap stop gap.But not worth trading picks this year.Not surprised to see another over priced QB on the trade block .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you make him your guy and give him a chance to get comfortable, I think he'll become a damn good QB. He has good mobility, a good enough arm, nice touch on intermediate throws, and has proven he can learn complicated playbooks fairly quickly.

He didn't respond well to the pressure of following up McNabb and having to win over a fan base, but that's the most extreme situation you can put a QB in. Any of those teams looking for a QB would do well to make a play for Kolb. Arizona, Cincy, Tennessee, and Minnesota would be good situations.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't think many teams will offer a single two, let alone one. A 3rd round pick would be a good deal for Philly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think someone gets a quality to potentially damn good starting QB on the super cheap out of this...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I think someone gets a quality to potentially damn good starting QB on the super cheap out of this...
Stop it. Kolb is ******* terrible.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't ask fans the value of a QB. Many fans here were calling Aaron Rodgers a bust because he didn't look all that great his first couple of times on the field filling in for Favre. The same ones will say Kolb is worth nothing because he didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs the first time he played.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
The same ones will say Kolb is worth nothing because he didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs the first time he played.
Or we'll say he's worth nothing because, you know, we've actually watched him play.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Kolb's value will likely never be higher. That being said, he is a competent backup for 2011 at that salary. With the risk of Vick's off the field issues + his style of play, you can almost bank on the fact that he won't play all 16/18 games next year. Even if you lose him for a compensatory pick in the 2011 offseason, the Eagles are likely to get a 3rd rounder then.

Kolb can play, but there are gaps in his game. He couldn't make a ton of explosive plays with the explosive Eagles weapons. There's nothing in my mind to think that he's anything more than 2009 Matt Cassel. Even so, Andy Reid as a coach has produced a pretty good number of quality QB's (Favre, McNabb, Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, and Vick), so his track record is pretty good. And they sold the sinking McNabb for a 2nd and a future 4th. With the QB issues in SF, Seattle, Arizona, Minnesota, Miami, Cincinnati (theoretically), Tennessee, Carolina, and Washington, and pretty much no QB's on the FA wire right now, Kolb becomes a rather attractive option.

Hell, Charlie Whitehurst got traded for a 2nd rounder last offseason, and he had never taken a snap. At least Kolb has some good games under his belt and a pedigree in a successful NFL offensive system.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Umoro
Rookie

Umoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairUmoro is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Stop it. Kolb is ******* terrible.
He was NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice and has thrown for 300+ yards in three of his five starts.

Throw out the Dallas game completely because it meant nothing and Kolb was playing with backups. He looked damn good in the SF and ATL games this year, looked bad in his GB start, looked average in his WAS game, and looked bad mostly due to wind conditions in his TEN game.

I think he still has the potential to be a top-10 QB in this league if he's in the right system (a WCO with the right kind of possession WRs).

The problem with the Eagles trading him now is that there is a significant potential for Kolb to be a quality starter for 6+ years for some team, but we *know* Vick will be effective for maybe 2 more years at most, due to his style of play and his reliance on his athleticism to make plays. So if you trade Kolb, you're basically saying that the future doesn't matter and that you're willing to try to win now with Vick and conceding that you're basically going to have to tank a season at some point in the future to obtain a QB in the draft.

Last edited by Umoro : 02-01-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Umoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Let's not go overboard, Umoro. There's potential for Kolb to be successful as the kind of QB who won't kill you, but he's not going to carry a team. He isn't a consistently explosive weapon as a passer or runner. He still misses reads, doesn't feel pressure, and he reads the field short to deep as opposed to deep to short. He can't or won't fit the ball in tight spots. He takes sacks. He needs a running game to survive. There are plenty of QB's who are the same way.

Does Kolb have value? Sure. Does he have some potential? Sure. His ceiling is maybe a #10 QB in the league in a great year in the right situation. He isn't a franchise QB. Not every team can have a franchise QB. But Kolb could be a quality starter in this league.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoro View Post
He was NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice and has thrown for 300+ yards in three of his five starts.
All against awful secondaries.

Quote:
Throw out the Dallas game completely because it meant nothing and Kolb was playing with backups.
Well, that's probably because, you know, he IS a backup. And backups or not, I still expect more than 4.5 ypa against a team drafting in the top-10.

Quote:
He looked damn good in the SF and ATL games this year, looked bad in his GB start, looked average in his WAS game, and looked bad mostly due to wind conditions in his TEN game.
San Francisco is bad. Atlanta is a bad secondary. Wind conditions? Please.

Quote:
I think he still has the potential to be a top-10 QB in this league if he's in the right system (a WCO with the right kind of possession WRs).
Top-10? Is this a ******* joke?

Quote:
So if you trade Kolb, you're basically saying that the future doesn't matter
You're not saying that because Kolb doesn't have a future.

Isn't it concerning that after four years, he still can't read coverages? Isn't it concerning that he can't consistently throw over 15 yards with any kind of zip? He still gets happy feet in the pocket. He still stares down his targets. Let's recap- no arm strength, average accuracy, no deep ball, stares down his targets. Yes, I can totally see why he's a top-10 QB.