Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Vickissick07

Default Falcons put in a nice draft position

We now have a ton of picks to play with to move either up or down in the draft. I think the only reason we traded spots with Houston was to get more value in a trade down. It only makes sense the way picks are being stock piled. We will end up with the following picks in the draft.

Round 1 #8
Round 2 #8
Round 2 #11-12 (can't remember)
Round 3 #10
Round 3 (Comp pick for Schaffer
Round 4
Round 4 (acquired from Den in the Abe trade)
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7 (possible comp pick for Mccadem)

Say we trade down with NE for the 24th pick. We could then pick up and extra 2nd and possibly 3rd. Imagine having the 24th overall, three 2nd rounders, three 3rd rounders and two 4th rounders. Draft day will be fun for Falcon fans. This is speculation on some of this of course. Feel free to flame away.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wouldn't be too happy with that. I don't want to move that far down.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no reason for the trade up with Houston, it was just done to make the trade even more valuable for the Falcons, and the Texans agreed. It probably will not have any implication as far as additional trades or players (it was only 2 spots).

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Vickissick07

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I wouldn't be too happy with that. I don't want to move that far down.
To me, it would depend on if any of the top DE's or Joe Thomas fell. I think #8 for Landry is a stretch. I would rather trade down to 24, take Chris Houston and draft a safety near as good as Landry (Griffin, Merriweather) in the early 2nd. That would shore up the secondary for a while. Trading down that far would almost definently get us an extra 2nd and 3rd too. Mckay seems to do much more damage in the 2-3rd rounds than he does in the first. It might not be a bad thing.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.

5 day one picks is fabulous.
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Vickissick07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP123 View Post
5 day one picks is fabulous.
In a trade down, that could become 6-7 day 1 picks. How exciting that would be. The Falcons problem is a lack of depth at key positions and poor receiver/secondary play. A trade down just seems to make more sense to me knowing Mckay's recent draft history in the 1st round.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to trade down. At #8, the odds are the team adds an immediate impact player, at a position of need.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Vickissick07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I don't want to trade down. At #8, the odds are the team adds an immediate impact player, at a position of need.
Every pick is a chance you take though. I just think we need to build up depth seeing as how every season we have 3-4 key injuries that just destroy our season. None of the top teams in the NFL have had a top pick in the draft for a while now and they seem to do alright just building on the depth they already have. We don't need to many impact type players. I do agree that we probably need one though. We need a commander of the defense.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how about a trade with bills at 12 i think. The bills would trade up to get AD.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't think there is any reason to trade down, unless there are about 5 players we have targeted that we could use as a day 1 starter. When we pick that high we have to pick a guy who is going to start from day 1 just like Deangelo did.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
JDB7821
Rookie

JDB7821 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I don't think there is any reason to trade down, unless there are about 5 players we have targeted that we could use as a day 1 starter. When we pick that high we have to pick a guy who is going to start from day 1 just like Deangelo did.
There are three players that fit that description: LaRon Landry, Jamaal Anderson, and Levi Brown. All three will be immediate starters at a position of need and all three could possibly be there at 8.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
mahnee

I'm all for trading down. The move up two spots gets us much excellent value for trading down. Safety's a glaring need and I don't think there's a huge trade-off from Landry to Nelson, and Nelson should be available around the 13 or 14th pick. A move down to 24th is a bit of a stretch though. The only problem with a possibility of 4 or 5 day 1 picks is our salary cap figure. I don't think we could sign that many, but I'd love to see where our '07 cap is at. This also leads to our problems with depth. We have $100 mil invested in erratic QB that can't even make the Pro Bowl, so how are we supposed to have depth at other skill positions. I don't think there's a single athlete in any league in any sport that's the highest paid in their respective league (or one of the top 2), and doesn't make their own All-star game. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!! Therefore, our only way to build depth is through the draft but our QB has the golden handcuffs on the organization. I remain hopeful though, and we'll see what pans out, but April 28th will be a much deserved, exciting day for our franchise.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:52 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

If we pick levi brown at #8 im gonna be PISSED, to me the value goes

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Jamal Anderson
3. Trade to #13-15 get Reggie Nelson/Carricker/Brown (only if the value substantiates a move down from #8 not #10 so they give noticably more than if we traded down from #10)

I think brown may suffer like Winston Justice come draft day, either that or wait till the pros and then dissapoint he is not #8 material IMO #15-20 more like

in reply to "mahnee's" comments on vick, i dissagree, everyone knows the probowl is a joke, Vick has made it in the past 2/3 years and this year was his best year statistically since 02, stats dont tell the whole story but they tell alot more than the probowl and vick, to me, while not fitting in the system, had a very stong year this past year, the only reason he wasnt in the probowl was due to ESPN's love affair with Tony Romo

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 03-22-2007 at 02:57 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
There is no reason for the trade up with Houston, it was just done to make the trade even more valuable for the Falcons, and the Texans agreed. It probably will not have any implication as far as additional trades or players (it was only 2 spots).
Nonsense. Fins and Texans are both looking at DB and OT, just like us. As Scott mentions, if we do want Levi Brown, we can get now him. Might also give us Branch if we want him, or Okoye. Fins/Texans/Falcons needs are actually quite similar.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:11 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB7821 View Post
There are three players that fit that description: LaRon Landry, Jamaal Anderson, and Levi Brown. All three will be immediate starters at a position of need and all three could possibly be there at 8.
Indeed. At 8, we can be certain that one will be there - or a better player will fall. At 10, we couldn't.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
how about a trade with bills at 12 i think. The bills would trade up to get AD.
Very possible - but if AD is there, i'd be tempted to take him.

UNLESS the Bills offered us their 2nd to move up. Holy crap. #12 in the 1st, then #8, 10 and 12 in the 2nd. #11 in the 3rd. And three picks in the 4th. That would be AMAZING.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Something I haven't heard much about...I hear a lot of talk of trading for the #2 pick...but what about #4...get to 4 from 8 isn't that big of a step. If Calvin is still on the board and we don't want to see him playing in Tampa...we could make that move. It also wouldn't cost us all of our day 1 picks...

It would actually only cost us one of our 2nd round picks to make that move up, AND then we'd prolly get something else back as well. As far as the value chart indicates...giving up OUR 2nd rounder (the lower of the 2) would still leave us with 80 points of value over...so we'd likely get another pick in round 4 or a couple of later picks like 5 6 ish. So...lets think more about that, because the move to #2 is out of the question
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can see trading down as well to about that 12-15 range and get Reggie Nelson.........I believe he will still be there......I always felt that he was the better pick at Free Safety than Landry, anywho....... That way we can probably add another high second and probably another 4th, which gives us 4 4th rd picks........that will give us ammo to add another 3rd.

Picture this:
1 Reggie Nelson FS
2 Justin Blalock OG
2 Aaron Sears OT
2 Tony Hunt RB
3 Quentin Moses DE
3 Alama-Francis DE/DT
3 Buster Davis ILB

And even 2nd day players with 1st day potential like Rhema Mcknight, Kenny Scott, and Travarius Bain can slip into that last 3rd rd. spot.

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Something I haven't heard much about...I hear a lot of talk of trading for the #2 pick...but what about #4...get to 4 from 8 isn't that big of a step. If Calvin is still on the board and we don't want to see him playing in Tampa...we could make that move. It also wouldn't cost us all of our day 1 picks...

It would actually only cost us one of our 2nd round picks to make that move up, AND then we'd prolly get something else back as well. As far as the value chart indicates...giving up OUR 2nd rounder (the lower of the 2) would still leave us with 80 points of value over...so we'd likely get another pick in round 4 or a couple of later picks like 5 6 ish. So...lets think more about that, because the move to #2 is out of the question
Oxy, you're forgetting that Tampa would have to agree to trade with us! Not a chance. If we want to get ahead of Tampa, we have to trade to #3. That is still possible. I explained one scenario in the CJ thread... #8, #39, and 2nd next year. Not ideal, but still leaves us plenty of picks this year, including 3 in the 1st day.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Vickissick07

Quote:

You don't really think that Tampa would trade with us so we could take CJ do you? I see this one of two ways. Trade up for CJ or trade down (possibly with NE) for depth. Our #8 pick is the exact value of both of NE's 1sts. Think about this draft

R1 #24 Chris Houston
R1 #28 Michael Griffin (Merriweather)
R2 #39 Blaylock
R2 #44 Charles Johnson
R3 Tony Hunt
R3 Manuel Ramirez

Do the rest of the draft yourself. Through the first three rounds we could fill almost every hole we have, then use the rest of the draft for depth.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Mr. Myogi
Rookie

Mr. Myogi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
Oxy, you're forgetting that Tampa would have to agree to trade with us! Not a chance. If we want to get ahead of Tampa, we have to trade to #3. That is still possible. I explained one scenario in the CJ thread... #8, #39, and 2nd next year. Not ideal, but still leaves us plenty of picks this year, including 3 in the 1st day.
How about the #8, #44, and the Falcons 2008 3rd.

*********"Wax on, Wax off Danielson"**********
Mr. Myogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sears is probley going to play OG in the NFL though
Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I don't think Tampa is going to care that much as long as they get a good trade, they like Okoye a lot...
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Vickissick07

Quote:
I don't think Tampa is going to care that much as long as they get a good trade, they like Okoye a lot...
I don't think CJ falls to 4 though. Who's to say that other teams aren't looking to trade up too? I think it will take going higher than 4 if we want him.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I don't know, we'll see, if he's there at 4 I expect him to be playing in Tampa and torching us for a few years.