Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Will Colt McCoy be a franchise QB?
yes 17 36.17%
no 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Colt McCoy...Franchise QB?

*first-I'd consider a franchise QB to be anyone the team has considerable investment in and are counting on to bring them a championship.*

Posted on the team board but I'm looking for a broader opinion.

Some fan banter...

Quote:
My prediction is that in two years time he will have solidified himself as a better than serviceable to very good starting QB, but I'm not banking on elite. He will look just fine with some more weapons on offense and a defense that is at least slightly better than average.
Quote:
Ken Stabler, Joe Montana and most recently Drew Brees had non-rocket arms and they all ended up winning a super bowl. Even if McCoy only ends up being as good as Chad Pennington, I am excited to have him because quality QBs are few and far between in this league.
Quote:
Anyway we have more pressing issues in terms of another playmaker at WR and someone to get to the QB.
Quote:
Colt is the guy. They may draft a back up for Colt and it will likely be in the 6th round I would say that they will keep an eye on tyrod taylor of Va Tech. he would be a very good late round QB to pick up that fits the system flawlessly and fits the type of QB that Holmgren loves a QB that is pass first he can run but he runs with his eyes down field. Also a smart guy who is supposed to have a good work ethic. the first 3 rounds will be dedicated to WR, DL, LB, and DB. All spots they need to find starting quality players.
Quote:
You have to suspect that they won't be drafting a QB at #6 under any cirucmstances. Picking that high, they simply need to select the best player available. McCoy may or may not be "the guy" for the future, but he's shown that he's "a guy" that can hold down the fort while the team is built around him. Right now, the team needs to be built to beat the Ravens and the Steelers, and that means physical players that can play in three yards and a cloud of dust; in other words, keep the offense on the field chewing clock and give us a good look at the other punters in the AFC North.
Quote:
Colt played against the Steelers twice, Baltimore, Jets, Patriots, Saints and Cincinnati
Name for me another Cleveland QB since the comeback that takes the team in a 2-min drill against the Jets to a tying TD. Then leads them to a winning drive in OT and one of his lame-a$$ receivers fumbles the ball.
Going into Camp as the #1 with all those reps will work wonders for him.
Colt showed me a lot. His end-of-season problems had more to do with the opponents and a defense that mailed it in, rather than the weather. He’ll be fine.
Quote:
Funny how Colt is reading the tea leaves about his weak arm,Now professing his innocence or I mean his injury ??? He's a marked man now,they have film on him and he will be what he is another Danny Waurfel.
Quote:
Should the front office accept Colt is the guy or look for someone better? My feeling is all teams should continue to look for better players at all positions all the time. Trouble is Cleveland has too many weak spots.

Regarding his pinched nerve, the National Championship game was the 2nd time. Many Texas insiders felt he hadn't fully recovered from the first one which happened on a QB sneak at the goal line. Does this make him injury prone? The answer either way is just opinion. All 3 QB's went down with an ankle injury, possibly they came from a team weakness instead of being injury prone.
Very interesting DC take...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ght=Colt+McCoy

Two names that keep coming up in regards to McCoy possibly being a franchise QB are Jeff Garcia and Drew Brees. I was a big fan of Garcia and think he will forever be underrated-I liked Brees coming out of Purdue and was surprised at his early struggles in SD but I'm not a fan of either comparison. I don't think McCoy has the velocity or mobility of Garcia or the arm strength of Brees out of Purdue. And Brees' athletic ability is underrated. Colt certainly beats a coming out of Purdue Brees in a race but one of the most memorable plays I remember from Brees in college was him standing flat-footed-eyes downfield and hurdling a would be sacker-completely clearing him-landing, resetting and completing a down field pass.

At times last season Colt reminded me of a minature rookie Roethlisberger with his ability to squirt out of danger and make something happen and take what the defense gave him and I think his ultimate success would come if he could consistently make plays downfield like this. But I'm skeptical he could consistently do this (make plays downfield) and stay healthy with his stature (staying healthy for much of his college career means nothing in pros) or become a franchise caliber guy from the pocket, again because of his stature and arm strength.

As far as a first round QB-It seems to me Shurmur would prefer his own guy to develop but then again Colt was taken by Pat's boss. The real question is whether Holmgren/Heckert are sold on him after figuring him to sit and learn longer. McNabb to Cleveland would be a shock to me because I still think McNabb is a top QB and could really help out a contending team rather than a rebuilding one. I still contend they will draft Cam Newton is he's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 02-09-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I vote to early to tell.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very meh. Didn't see anything from him to make me think he was anything more than a stop gap.
Saints-Tigers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No idea, give me 4 years.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see him a decent spot starter but he is not going to lead any team to the Superbowl.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Along the same lines as Ryan Fitzpatrick I think. Smarts, accuracy and a bit of mobility make him good for an undertalented team who needs him to be scappy, but he doesn't have franchise QB tools to work with.

And I disagree about comparisons to Drew Brees. Brees has at worst, an average arm. He plays the game more like a minature franchise QB than someone like McCoy who gets by more with being scappy and having moderate athleticism.

A few more years and we'll know for sure. He's an excellent stop-gap who'll pull out some wins he shouldn't, but I don't see him as a guy who will lead a perennial playoff squad.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think his physical tools are more reminiscent of Brees out of college then some seem to believe. I think Brees really improved over his first few years in the NFL, especially in regards to arm strength and deep ball accuracy. He had some questions regarding the deep ball when he came into the league.

The question is if he has the work ethic of Brees and if he'll get the same kind of talent around him that Brees was/has been afforded (which was quite a bit.)

His skillset and physique obviously aren't the prototype and more QBs with those limitations fail then succeed but I liked what he did this year and he's got a RB and a LT, which is a good start.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if he were throwing to AJ Green, I would like to see the results.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is worth giving a solid look. Give him an honest shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
if he were throwing to AJ Green, I would like to see the results.
Be the TO to his Jeff Garcia......although Green doesn't seem like he'd be even 1% of the headcase.
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something came out recently about how his shoulder was bugging him the entire year, so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

He was so accurate until the last couple games of the year and made great decisions.

Problem is his deep ball, he misses that on a regular basis which killed us in certain spots.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ehh, he might have somewhat of a Jeff Garcia type career in my opinion. Average QB in the west coast offense. Not highly productive, but won't turn it over. Won't threaten you with his arm and be able to stretch the field.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Something came out recently about how his shoulder was bugging him the entire year, so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year.

He was so accurate until the last couple games of the year and made great decisions.

Problem is his deep ball, he misses that on a regular basis which killed us in certain spots.
As someone who had to watch Kyle Orton's deep passes for about 4 years float down like punts, I know how demoralizing that can be.

And it takes me to my argument that there isn't some magical line out there for "minimum required arm strength." The stronger, the better...you will simply be able to do more. Obviously it isn't the only tool required (see Leaf, Ryan....Russell, Jamarcus...George, Jeff....) but the stronger it is, the more you'll be able to offer your playcaller in the NFL.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"You think you can be meee!!"

But really, this guy is underrated. Someone in the other thread said he was like Romo in his early good years-spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
As someone who had to watch Kyle Orton's deep passes for about 4 years float down like punts, I know how demoralizing that can be.

And it takes me to my argument that there isn't some magical line out there for "minimum required arm strength." The stronger, the better...you will simply be able to do more. Obviously it isn't the only tool required (see Leaf, Ryan....Russell, Jamarcus...George, Jeff....) but the stronger it is, the more you'll be able to offer your playcaller in the NFL.
I think it's also a common misconception that arm strength doesn't improve. It does. You go from college to an NFL level weight-training program, night to day, and it can definitely get better.

You look at a guy like Aaron Rodgers who really was a WC, dink-and-dunk guy in college and had arm strength but it wasn't stellar, and he's now known as having one of the best deep balls in the league. If you go back and watch his tape over the years you can clearly see it progressing. I use him as an example not to suck his **** but because I know him the best from all I've seen of him.

Drew Brees is the same case. He was NOT known as an accurate and great deep ball guy coming out of college but he's certainly known as such today. People thought Philip Rivers wouldn't be able to hit the deep ball in the NFL with his weird throwing motion and he's the best in the league at it.

Colt played well and deserves an entire, unquestioned season to show his stuff. Not like the Browns are going places next year anyway. Franchise or not, how many teams in the league would trade away their entire draft to have a Jeff Garcia in his prime? It's sadly quite a few.

Do I think he'll be a franchise QB? No. Do I think he played well enough to have a shot next year at being their starting QB? Absolutely.

Franchise QBs are rare. There's, what, 6? maybe 7? in the league right now that are legitimately "this is our guy, period. If you offered me Peyton Manning for him straight up, I'd say no."

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 02-09-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say no. His arm is awful. He can't throw to the sideline and loses accuracy on deeper routes because he needs to put more force into the throw. His deep ball is absolutely awful as well.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's definitely not good enough to pass up someone if you feel they can be a franchise QB.
Saints-Tigers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think he has a good shot given some god WR to throw too in Cleveland.I wouldn't give up on him just yet.Hes young so he is going need time to improve just Tebow.He doesn't have the elite arm strength as some of the new rookie QB 's but like some OP said he has great football IQ and read defense well and great mobility.SHould be fun to watch him grow into a good starter franchise I dunno .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I think it's also a common misconception that arm strength doesn't improve. It does. You go from college to an NFL level weight-training program, night to day, and it can definitely get better.

You look at a guy like Aaron Rodgers who really was a WC, dink-and-dunk guy in college and had arm strength but it wasn't stellar, and he's now known as having one of the best deep balls in the league. If you go back and watch his tape over the years you can clearly see it progressing. I use him as an example not to suck his **** but because I know him the best from all I've seen of him.

Drew Brees is the same case. He was NOT known as an accurate and great deep ball guy coming out of college but he's certainly known as such today. People thought Philip Rivers wouldn't be able to hit the deep ball in the NFL with his weird throwing motion and he's the best in the league at it.

Colt played well and deserves an entire, unquestioned season to show his stuff. Not like the Browns are going places next year anyway. Franchise or not, how many teams in the league would trade away their entire draft to have a Jeff Garcia in his prime? It's sadly quite a few.

Do I think he'll be a franchise QB? No. Do I think he played well enough to have a shot next year at being their starting QB? Absolutely.

Franchise QBs are rare. There's, what, 6? maybe 7? in the league right now that are legitimately "this is our guy, period. If you offered me Peyton Manning for him straight up, I'd say no."
No one is saying he shouldn't get that chance. He's earned that much at least. Now, will he take it and run with it and find success in the long run? Not so sure about that...

And on franchise QBs..yes, they're fairly rare, but teams are always looking to create the next one. And they needs to have at least averages with room to improve across the board in the tool department.

Like, for example, guys who I would definitely say are in the franchise QB territory right now are (no particular order) Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, and Eli. So there's 7 in my mind.

And guys in the next group with the tools/ability required, but who just need to find a little more success or put everything together are Matt Ryan, Schaub, Freeman, Cutler, Vick, Flacco, Sanchez, Romo, and Cassel.

Then there are the young guys who seem to be pointed in the right direction but the jury is still out on...namely Stafford and Bradford.

So there, 18 QBs...over half the league...have a QB who has what I'd call "franchise potential."

The potential isn't actually that rare I don't think, but guys who ever realize it are.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Don't get me wrong, he deserves a chance ESPECIALLY if were going to be running a WCO. I think he can be a viable starter in the league that can win with a good defense and run game but I don't expect him to put up Pro-Bowl numbers ever.

The Browns need to put some play makers around him and see what he can do.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously it's too early to tell but it this thread is for pure speculation. It's like the draft...

I think he's a solid starting QB but he's not going to win games by himself. Does that make him a franchise QB? depends on your definition. He certainly will be put in the best system for his style under Shurmur.

Last edited by kalbears13 : 02-09-2011 at 07:21 PM.
kalbears13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

Too early to tell. Everyone thought he wasn't anywhere near ready to start in the NFL, but he didn't look half bad, so it is a good start.
thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Outside of Hillis, the guy had an alright rookie season playing with a pretty terrible team (no offense Brown fans). I would say it's too early to tell, but if he continues to improve and gets some more talent around him than I dont see why not. If there is a NFL next year, we'll have a much better indication on this depending on his progression or lack of. Hopefully he doesn't get thrown around like Brady Quinn did where one week he was the starter and than the next week he third string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Outside of Hillis, the guy had an alright rookie season playing with a pretty terrible team (no offense Brown fans). I would say it's too early to tell, but if he continues to improve and gets some more talent around him than I dont see why not. If there is a NFL next year, we'll have a much better indication on this depending on his progression or lack of. Hopefully he doesn't get thrown around like Brady Quinn did where one week he was the starter and than the next week he third string.
That was an odd situation with Quinn and Anderson, it was pretty much trying to see who was the better one and no one proved everything, so they just kept getting flip flopped.

Also, Quinn was dreadful so I hope he doesn't end up like Quinn.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Franchise QB? I hate when I have to label someone as that.

What I'll say is that you could win with him. I doubt he singlehandedly carries the Browns to any significant number of wins, but I could see success with him at QB.

I got laughed at and I'll continue to get laughed at, but I had him as my #2 QB for the last draft...behind Clausen.

Last edited by Monomach : 02-09-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote