Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having that said, he gets a big fat F for this offseason. He needed to cut some veterans, but he wanted to squeeze 1 more year out of them (Diehl and Snee instantly come to mind). Big mistake.

He gambled at LB and failed miserably. Didn't bring in the right vets either. (Daryl Smith would look in Giant blue right now).

He didn't secure us a veteran RB as a backup for Wilson. He didn't get any OLmen for depth.

This offseason was terrible for him. I am ok with his draft, not loving it but not hating it.

I really dislike our 2nd round pick. Big Hank can be a good player, but with our holes at LB and OL, getting Sio Moore, or Arthur Brown, or Warford would look real good right about now. Not getting a Center in the draft at some point was a mistake as well.

Can't hate on our 3rd round pick in Moore, that was great value. But with our holes at Safety not getting one in this studly draft class is going to hurt us. Matheau was there. We just missed Reid. Cyprien was there.

Looking back in hindsight, taking Nassib was a mistake bc of our lack of LB talent. Beau was there for the taking and we didn't get him.

He just had a bad offseason. This offseason we can be critical of him.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It's not that we took Wilson, it's that we took a RB. I just really dislike 1st round RB's who aren't consensus top RB available.

Monroe would have been nice but moving Pugh inside seems like such a waste to me unless it were only for this year.
I agree with you. I hate 1st round RBs as well. Especially when a guy like Lamar Miller goes in round 4 (is there any discernible difference btw him and Wilson?), or my favorite of that class Robert Turbin going in the 3rd. But I can't hate on the player though, bc Wilson does have all world talent and if he just fixes his fumbling and pass pro which you hope he does eventually, then he can be a dangerous player for us. So in that sense, I can't hate it.

Was he #1 on my list? No. But he was on my list of guys I wouldn't mind at that point in the draft, so I can't hate it. The allocation of the resource is bad, as I'm a firm believer in never taking a RB in round 1 unless its an AP talent, but I can see why they did.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me it makes it worse that they fully knew he struggled in pass protection and yet took him 1st round anyway! Oh well I do do like him and hope he figures it out so it makes the pick look better.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Having that said, he gets a big fat F for this offseason. He needed to cut some veterans, but he wanted to squeeze 1 more year out of them (Diehl and Snee instantly come to mind). Big mistake.

He gambled at LB and failed miserably. Didn't bring in the right vets either. (Daryl Smith would look in Giant blue right now).

He didn't secure us a veteran RB as a backup for Wilson. He didn't get any OLmen for depth.

This offseason was terrible for him. I am ok with his draft, not loving it but not hating it.

I really dislike our 2nd round pick. Big Hank can be a good player, but with our holes at LB and OL, getting Sio Moore, or Arthur Brown, or Warford would look real good right about now. Not getting a Center in the draft at some point was a mistake as well.

Can't hate on our 3rd round pick in Moore, that was great value. But with our holes at Safety not getting one in this studly draft class is going to hurt us. Matheau was there. We just missed Reid. Cyprien was there.

Looking back in hindsight, taking Nassib was a mistake bc of our lack of LB talent. Beau was there for the taking and we didn't get him.

He just had a bad offseason. This offseason we can be critical of him.
Cutting Snee would have been a massive cap hit so that was not feasible unfortunately. Diehl should have been gone though.

LB is still not that big of a problem to me. I can't get on him for that.

I still really like the Hankins and Moore picks. Nassib pick I didnt like and I feel worse about it now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I think they ignored the pass pro issues bc of his ceiling. I mean seriously, how ******* hard is it?

He just made the mistake of trying to squeeze out 1 more year with this cast of players when it was too late. This group is toast. Usually Reese is ahead of the curve but he gambled and lost on his veterans.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I think you're overstating him a bit. I think Wilson will be great, but to say he is right now I don't think is accurate.
*shrug* he was the only guy on offense who was actually making plays against the chiefs except Cruz.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Wilson is getting a really bad rap... I mean look how awful Eli looks right now... you think its any easier on Wilson?

When I see Wilson I still see explosion and moves. His vision needs to improve, but right now his O-line is terribad and then he's got the threat of Grandpa Coughlin giving his job to scrubs like Scott (cut) and Jacobs (nobody wanted this guy).

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bbd you're flip flopping so hard haha. The drafts have been meh. Even these solid guys aren't getting the job done. Hank will be a fine pick next year if linval walks. The other trio are stop gaps at DT and linval could walk. Nassib was an awful pick. You guys said a QB would be dumb pre draft and then got all hyped on Nassib. It was a bad pick at every stop along the way. Pugh has proved me wrong thus far. Our first three rounds are good but we've got way too many misses. The best teams have even their mid to late rounders doing something. We haven't had a steal other than Cruz in ages. Moore will probably do that for us. And cutting Diehl would've done nothing if we didn't bring anyone else in.

Simply put, it's time for a change. I thought last year it with TC was getting stale. Not bad, just stale. It's time for a fresh start. Retool the OL, we've got the bookends. Start Moore, draft some young DBS who won't get cut in camp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Bbd you're flip flopping so hard haha. The drafts have been meh. Even these solid guys aren't getting the job done. Hank will be a fine pick next year if linval walks. The other trio are stop gaps at DT and linval could walk. Nassib was an awful pick. You guys said a QB would be dumb pre draft and then got all hyped on Nassib. It was a bad pick at every stop along the way. Pugh has proved me wrong thus far. Our first three rounds are good but we've got way too many misses. The best teams have even their mid to late rounders doing something. We haven't had a steal other than Cruz in ages. Moore will probably do that for us. And cutting Diehl would've done nothing if we didn't bring anyone else in.

Simply put, it's time for a change. I thought last year it with TC was getting stale. Not bad, just stale. It's time for a fresh start. Retool the OL, we've got the bookends. Start Moore, draft some young DBS who won't get cut in camp.
I've always been a Reese fan. I just hate this offseason. When the anger subsides I think reasonably again. Reese deserves to be on the hot seat for his mistakes this offseason. But going back and saying draft A, B and C were poor drafts is not fair to him.

Yes I want to see more results out of the middle rounds but overall I still think he's one of the best GMs in the business.

We have a talented roster. It just underwhelmed this year for a variety of reasons.

I can see a major bounce back next year. Just get a new coaching staff and address the OL, get another pass rusher and we'll be right back in the mix.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I just hope Reese doesn't get fired. If we fire Reese after this season that would be a terrible mistake.

Ideally, I want to keep Reese and Coughlin and just get 2 new coordinators. But realistically one or both are gonna go. Which scares me in a way. I just hope we keep Reese.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reese won't go. Even if this disaster is mostly his fault, the coaches will catch the blame. Reese inherited Coughlin so he'll get a chance to pick his own coach.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

Eh? What team consistently hits on mid-late round draft picks? I would be VERY interested to see what you're basing this off. Sure, a team will get a good player now and then but with regularity? Not really. Your expectations are too high. A good GM needs to hit on the first two rounds. Those are where you will get your success. Those are impact guys for a team. Teams that suck draft busts and waste money on those guys. Teams that are great hit on those picks.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Eh? What team consistently hits on mid-late round draft picks?
The Packers. Their entire team is built through the draft. Stud skill players are high picks but LBers and inside Oline is all built through the middle rounds.

Who do you think has the best LB corps and O-line in the league? Maybe the top 3 at each. Go and look where all those guys are acquired.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 10-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ummm the Clay maker is their only good linebacker and their ol sucks...
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah the Packers defense is awful and so is their OL.

They're similar to us in the sense that they have WRs and a qb on offense and nothing else. And their defense sucks.

Basically we're the Packers. Replace Clay with JPP and you pretty much have the same team. Except our secondary is better.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I'm not saying they have a top 3 OL or LBers. I'm just saying their entire teams in built through the draft and they continue to win. So they must be hitting on guys in the mid rounds.

But who in your opinion has top LBers and Oline. Show me those teams and I think you'll see plenty of mid round picks.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Some of the top OL might be mid rounds picks but I bet there is also a continuity factor. When our OL was beasting wasn't Snee the only high round pick? We started off slow with that line but as they grew and developed with each other we got better and better with the obvious high point in 2008.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Some of the top OL might be mid rounds picks but I bet there is also a continuity factor. When our OL was beasting wasn't Snee the only high round pick? We started off slow with that line but as they grew and developed with each other we got better and better with the obvious high point in 2008.
Snee 2nd round, Diehl was 5th, McKenzie 3rd I believe from the Jets, Richie S was undrafted and I thin O'Hara was as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

So we built the line with 1 high round pick and a bunch of filler. It was the best OL in football for about 3 years. We do need to hit on a few more mid round guys or get back to signing those cheap players from other teams that come here and take off. Are both our College and NFL scouts losing their edge?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
So we built the line with 1 high round pick and a bunch of filler. It was the best OL in football for about 3 years. We do need to hit on a few more mid round guys or get back to signing those cheap players from other teams that come here and take off. Are both our College and NFL scouts losing their edge?
Those were also all Ernie moves.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Honestly, have they been more successful than us? I think it depends on how you look at it.

Rodgers other than his SB run has been 1 and done pretty much his entire career in the playoffs (other than a ridiculously easy win over a Joe Webb led Vikings team). We have 2 great runs and no playoff appearances outside of those 2 runs.

I don't think they've had more success than us. I think our inconsistency has come from complacency more than a lack of talent. The talent is there.

In 2010 we won 10 games and missed the playoffs. Last year was a clear case of complacency. 2009 they quit on Sheridan. 2008 Plax shoots himself and our season.

I know this season is ugly but I think our lack of success in the past 6 years is a little overblown.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I didn't say they've been better. I just say they consistently win. We did too up until this year. Main difference is they build exclusively through the draft. We dabble in FA. I'm just giving them a pat on the back for always being good and never spending a dollar on someone from another team.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I didn't say they've been better. I just say they constantly win. We do too up until this year. Main difference is they build exclusively through the draft. We dabble in FA.
Yeah I hear ya. I prefer the draft route like how they do. Honestly I also think part of the problem is Coughlin just doesn't play young guys. Careers are short as is, and when you're rotting for 3 years behind a vet then leave via FA there's little room for you to even show that you're a JAG.

A lot of teams play their mid round picks and they look like JAGs. The Giants don't even waste their time. Unless you show great potential you just rot on the bench.

Look at Barden. Yeah, I hate him too, but the guy would put up numbers when his number was called. Never sniffed the field. JWill still has to fight for his snaps on defense.

Koets should have replaced OHara well before he did, then tears his ACL so he never got to show what he could do.

Randle is riding the bench so we can put 2 awful TEs on the field and try to run the ball in the 1st half.

So we have players who can produce, but they just don't see the field.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Well it sounds like they are ready to unleash Moore on actual defensive snaps. Might be a good week. Let someone not too removed from college play against this offense.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

We need pass rush in the worst way and with Tuck sucking ass, JPP being fat and injured, and Kiwi being a JAG we need Moore to step up and create some pressure.

Who cares if he misses his gap a couple of times Coughlin. Stop being a goddamn dinosaur and play some young guys. We need pass rush in the worst way.

I don't even trust our blitzes to work. Bc when was the last time that they did? Fewell is a terrible blitzer.