Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Yeah I think Jug has that one right. We haven't heard any talk of an extension but the Giants always hold the cards close. Gilbride said he was thinking about retiring for a few years now so I'm curious if that's true or not.
I believe he was thinking about it. However, I got the impression, he didn't want to get fired and end his career like that. He also being friends with TC, didn't want TC to stake his job to retain him. I know if I was the OC, I would retire. If I am fired, no one would probably hire me due to my age. I probably wouldn't get another HCing chance. So then what? Fired or worse is have the HC defend me and possibly, though slim, get fired too, defending me.

So, I think Gilbride saw the writing on the wall, and probably felt this is the time to retire before they fire me. I would done the same especially if I knew that I can't advance any more. Due to age or perception, I am stuck.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Usually you want to get fired bc if you're fired instead of retiring/resigning, they owe you the remaining salary on your contract.

I'm assuming in this scenario, the Giants probably agreed to pay him the remainder of his salary behind closed doors and make this seem like a "retirement" to keep his integrity intact.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very good points both of you. I read a tweet that said his wife has been living in RI for 3 years now and he lives by himself in Jersey or NYC. Said he was lonely and missed his family.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Usually you want to get fired bc if you're fired instead of retiring/resigning, they owe you the remaining salary on your contract.

I'm assuming in this scenario, the Giants probably agreed to pay him the remainder of his salary behind closed doors and make this seem like a "retirement" to keep his integrity intact.
I think the integrity part goes a long way. Plus after 39 years, Gilbride knows how this league works. I would guess he is not stupid. Plus, big picture he had success throughout his career. He also got his son into the industry. He got to be on the same staff as his son and watch him go from quality control to position coach. I guess he accomplished a lot. Only thing he didn't is be a successful HC.
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That shows you how much he loved the game. That's an incredible sacrifice.

I'll always respect Gilbride for what he did for us, but I think this was long overdue.

I just hope we don't replace him with Sullivan. Bc that would be awful.
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Very good points both of you. I read a tweet that said his wife has been living in RI for 3 years now and he lives by himself in Jersey or NYC. Said he was lonely and missed his family.
In a hotel.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I think the integrity part goes a long way. Plus after 39 years, Gilbride knows how this league works. I would guess he is not stupid. Plus, big picture he had success throughout his career. He also got his son into the industry. He got to be on the same staff as his son and watch him go from quality control to position coach. I guess he accomplished a lot. Only thing he didn't is be a successful HC.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Giants assured him they'd keep his son on staff if he "retired" as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Giants assured him they'd keep his son on staff if he "retired" as well.
That could be. His son should be the first to go. Can you name a position coach whose whole unit stunk? Cruz was solid, but everyone else was god awful. His first year as a WR coach and things went poorly. That's has to be a tough thing.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even Cruz sucked this year. He did most of his damage the first few games but was non exsistent for most games. I believe he didnt have a TD after Week 4.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm inclined to think that the WRs sucked bc Eli was running for his life behind the pocket.

Yeah I'm not thrilled with Gilbride Jr but it's hard to judge our offense this year with how awful the OL was.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm inclined to think that the WRs sucked bc Eli was running for his life behind the pocket.

Yeah I'm not thrilled with Gilbride Jr but it's hard to judge our offense this year with how awful the OL was.
You grade position coaches just like position coaches grade their players for their position. Sure Eli and the OL has issues. However, you can look at and see how many mistakes did the WR make? Murphy was targeted at one point 5 times, and had 3 turnovers, 2 ints, and 1 fumble. R.R. was boom or bust and accounted for Ints. Nicks was useless but effort was an issue.

That's all on the players but the position coach has to get his whole unit to play better. That's the stuff you grade on. For example, on my grading sheet, I graded my players on effort, technique, and accuracy I think the last one was. For example, route running.. So you can tell if the player had no production due to the ball not going to hit, or inconsistent production with mental errors. Mental errors is on the player, and if it occurs over and over, that's on the position coach.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like Pugh might get a look at LT.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

They said moved him, but they didn't say where.. That's not good for Beatty then.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Coughlin said they'll look into moving him. Also said they want him to add 10-12 pounds.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll add it. Pugh is determined. Did anyone read that article a few weeks back about his daily regiment. He employs his own nutritionist and masseuse. Acupuncturist is coming next. When he goes out, he texts her a picture of every meal he eats and get an "ok" before he eats it.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I didn't see that one. I do know he had a really good time as soon as he was drafted though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
I didn't see that one. I do know he had a really good time as soon as he was drafted though.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...tion-1.6673943
Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see us try and trade for Cleveland LT Joe Thomas

It would probably cost our first pick in 2014 and a second/third in 2015

Cleveland are rebuilding, plus Joe Thomas has been publicly critical of the Browns front office.

The extra pick could give the Browns a good shot at trading up for QB Teddy Bridgewater (Houstonís Owner Bob McNair has already hinted that they are open to trading down).

This trade also clears $9,900,000 against the 2014 salary cap for Cleveland, allowing more scope for the front office to shape the team for the new coach.

From the Giant's point of view, the offensive line is a priority.

It is likely the Giants would have been looking to draft a tackle at some point or bring in solid free agents. There is a definite window with Eli and Coughlin, so a proven veteran makes more sense.

Effectively the Giants we would get Thomas on a five year $49,600,000 with no guaranteed money. The salary cap numbers would be:

2014: $11,100,000
2015: $9,000,000
2016: $9,500,000
2017: $10,000,000
2018: $10,000,000

Sure this is a high cap number, but Joe Thomasís cap value would be less than Sneeís current $11,750,000 cap number for 2014.

It might mean we have to be a little more aggressive in free agency with an extensions for Eli etc, but is certainly possible.

The trade for Joe Thomas would mean Will Beatty moves to right tackle where he will have to compete with Justin Pugh. If Beatty is healthy and returns to form, then Pugh can slide inside.

Beatty's contract makes it prohibitive to release him with his 2014 salary guaranteed. In 2015, however, the Giant's could designate him as a post June 1 cut and save $5,500,000 by releasing him, so the pressure will be on Beatty to perform in 2014.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

There is absolutely no way the Browns trade Thomas. None.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

honestly, I want a center more than I want a LT. Beatty will suffice but there is no way I am okay with Baas or Cordle

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There is absolutely no way the Browns trade Thomas. None.
I am not so sure, it would depend on whether the price was right. I do think they are rebuilding and from reports the only players that are untouchable are the those drafted by the current regime plus Haden and Jackson.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I am not so sure, it would depend on whether the price was right. I do think they are rebuilding and from reports the only players that are untouchable are the those drafted by the current regime plus Haden and Jackson.
Trades barely happen in the NFL for star players. What would the cap hit be for the Browns? If he has that many years left it would be enormous.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well also who's our OC? what run blocking scheme is he going to use? Its not just plug and play although Thomas is a great LT, it doesn't mean we would need a player of his caliber at LT with that much money stuck with him

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Trades barely happen in the NFL for star players. What would the cap hit be for the Browns? If he has that many years left it would be enormous.

As mentioned in my post earlier, Cleveland actually saves $9,900,000 against the 2014 salary cap with the way his contract is structured.

Sure trades are rare, but it did happen twice this year with Revis (1st and 3rd/4th) and Harvin (1st).

Here is what I find interesting: if the Browns are looking at Josh McDaniel as their head coach and they need the franchise QB. They have tried a few times and blown it.

Cleveland currently has No. 4 and No. 26* picks (from Indy in Richardson trade)

The RG3 trade is probably the best example here. In order to trade up 4 spots from to No. 2, it cost the Redskins their No. 6 overall pick in 2012, their second-round pick in 2012, and their first-round picks in 2013 and 2014.

Teddy Bridgewater is the clear top QB and by some margin. If this is who the Browns want for their franchise QB then perhaps the No. 4, No. 12 and No 26 picks could get it done.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
well also who's our OC? what run blocking scheme is he going to use? Its not just plug and play although Thomas is a great LT, it doesn't mean we would need a player of his caliber at LT with that much money stuck with him
I think Thomas could easily adapt to whatever scheme is required. With a LT of his calibre, he doesn't need the help that Beatty and Diehl have needed.

I think it is quite reasonable cap wise.

Just look at how much we have invested for 2014 in Chris Snee ($11.75m) and David Baas ($8.225m)

The way I see it, pass blocking has been the biggest problem with our team, it has derailed the entire season and gotten Eli out of sync with our WRs. We know that if we can give Eli time our passing game is very dangerous.

I am over players who should be adequate, if we can lets get that stud LT.