Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have done a bit of research and here is what I would prefer for our offensive coaching staff.

I would like to see the following changes

Norv Turner as Offensive Coordnator

I think we need a new system and Norv is very experienced. The vertical passing game can leverage the deep passing we did with Gilbride. The addition of an effective TE in the intermediate routes will be a big plus. Plus there is the north-south running game heavily featured which fits well with Coughlin's preferred style of play.

Mike Sullivan as QB Coach

We need a QB to resolve Eli's issues and help him get back to form. In two seasons with Sullivan as his position coach, Manning compiled the top two single-season completion totals and two of the top five passing yards and touchdown pass marks in Giants history.

Sean Ryan as WR Coach

Like Sullivan, Ryan was a key part in developing our young WRs. This will help get our WRs in sync with Manning and help maximise our passing game.

Mike Munchak as Offensive line coach

Flahrety has been ok, but the last couple of years have not been good. With Norv's preferred zone blocking scheme it is a good time to upgrade the coaching staff. Munchak will play a big role in getting our offensive line back to being a quality unit.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-04-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:37 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pete, you want a guy who's full of controversy and then on that list just name high name guys, former head coaches and sully, all taking demotions. Doubt that happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're not changing any position coaches. I highly doubt that happens.

With Wade Phillips and Greg Williams (my ideal DC) available, we have some good options on the defensive side of the ball.

Hopefully Perry gets a HC position somewhere.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Pete, you want a guy who's full of controversy and then on that list just name high name guys, former head coaches and sully, all taking demotions. Doubt that happens
I want experienced guys who have had proven success. We have a definate window with Eli and Coughlin of 3-4 years. I don't know of any up and coming guys who are a better fit, regardless I don't want us to hire the next Hufnagel.

I am looking at our existing schemes and what I think will fit well with the players we have and Coughlin's philosophy.

Coughlin likes to run the ball, well Turner's system features a strong north-south running game and he uses a vertical passing game to stretch the field, which has some similarities to what we had here. So I think it is relatively easy to install.

As far as Munchak, Flahrety is ok, but with Norv's offense we would likely move to a zone blocking scheme (which I think is a better fit for our players) and i think Munchak would overhaul the offensive line extremely well. It is worth noting that many of the better ground games use zone blocking schemes.

On top of that both Turner and Munchak could basically audition for the Giants job after Coughlin leaves in a few years, so plenty of incentive.

I don't think Sullivan will get another OC job next year, there are only 32 jobs in the NFL and many coaches like bringing in college guys or promoting successful guys from other successful teams. But I do think Sullivan can coach and could reinvent himself, particularly if Eli rebounds. Best place for that to happen is here where he knows Coughlin, Eli and the Receivers. Bottom line we need the best guy available to get Eli back on track and that's either Sullivan or Cutliffe (who I don't see leaving Duke)

As far as position coaches go, they move all the time. But Sean Ryan knows both Eli and this group of receivers, and is the best placed to get the most out of them imho.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-04-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We're not changing any position coaches. I highly doubt that happens.

With Wade Phillips and Greg Williams (my ideal DC) available, we have some good options on the defensive side of the ball.

Hopefully Perry gets a HC position somewhere.
I wouldn't say never, it may depend on who we get as OC. We haven't changed position coaches much on the offensive side of the ball, but it has happened in the past on defense a few times most notably with Mike Wauffle and before that Ron Milus

Both Jerry Gray and Gregg Williams are off contract in Tennessee
Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
After reading that Kluwe thing, I wouldn't touch Priefer. Kluwe is a little full of himself but I don't think he would just straight up make that up.
Another fact that many people seem to have either not realised or forgotten.

Mike Priefer was on the Giants staff as Assistant Special Teams Coach from 2003 to 2005 (when he got a Special Teams Coach job in Kansas City).

before that in 2002 he was Special Teams Coach in Jacksonville under Coughlin, his first NFL job.

Coughlin brought him to the NFL, he coached under Coughlin for 3 years and was one of the few assistants to be retained from the Fassel years.

I think Coughlin knows exactly what kind of man Priefer is and if we hired him, I don't see any issues.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-04-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
You think Izzo would be a good coach for the kickers? I feel like he is there only to help out on coverage which we've been bad at over the years. Although this year did get a bit better.

Yeah I think he could be fine. He has been behind Quinn so he had to have learned so much doing so. Also, speaking from experience, we had a coaches fault full of tape and clinic lectures on everything possible from Offense, defense and special teams. Even specific install of various systems and for special teams kicking was there. I took notes of that whole video. I coached at d3 school. I am sure higher programs, including NFL, would have everything in this.

I wouldn't be too worried about drills and even say of approaching teaching anything. I saw nearly every clinic lecture during my free time.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Will Hill might get an 8 game suspension for more weed. DAMNIT WILL!
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Looks like it. You would think he takes a hint.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL you guys listing all the former HC's to be our new Coordinators and position coaches.. Keep dreaming.

Sully at OC and I'm happy. Norvs outdated offense ain't coming and I don't think Chuds offense fits Eli. Sullivan is the quickest and easiest transition for us.

I'm wondering about Defense. Clearly we need a change. Personally I like sticking with the base 43 buuuuuutt with Tuck becoming a FA is it time to consider a switch to a 34? Moore and Kiwi as potential OLB? Could JPP play the 5 tech?
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sullivan as OC is a lateral move at best, that's why it's an easy transition

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baas and Snee both look to be back next season based on their contracts, with the comment of Pugh moving and adding weight I'm guessing they're are talking about LG. I'd sign Veldheer and our OL looks like this.

LT Veldheer
LG Pugh
C Baas
RG Snee
RT Beatty

Resign Boothe to another 1 year deal and we have him, Mosley, and Brewer as backups. I'd also draft a Tackle/Guard in the top 3 rounds.

OL Fixed.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Also, if we let Nicks walk bringing Manningham back on the cheap and finally getting Eli a top notch TE would be huge. He needs a big bodied safety blanket. Jace Amaro and Eric Ebron should have significant value to us.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
Sullivan as OC is a lateral move at best, that's why it's an easy transition
At best? How do you kno... Wait, holdup.. don't answer that. We acquired 2 SB rings with that offense. I'm cool with that being the "at best".

It wouldn't take our 100 million dollar man and Sullivan much time to get on the same page. That carries some weight in a division thats up for the taking right now.

Only other offense I'd like to see and think Eli can fit in is Sean Paytons Offense. Joe Lombardi is on the cusp of becoming an OC. I wouldn't mind that O here at all.

Last edited by Mike Maycock : 01-04-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Baas and Snee both look to be back next season based on their contracts, with the comment of Pugh moving and adding weight I'm guessing they're are talking about LG. I'd sign Veldheer and our OL looks like this.

LT Veldheer
LG Pugh
C Baas
RG Snee
RT Beatty

Resign Boothe to another 1 year deal and we have him, Mosley, and Brewer as backups. I'd also draft a Tackle/Guard in the top 3 rounds.

OL Fixed.
I doubt Baas or Snee are back and their contracts isn't prohibitive

If Snee is cut or retires, we would have in $4,500,000 dead money, but we also free up $7,250,000 in cap room.

If Baas is cut, we would have $6,450,000 in dead money and free up $1,775,000 against the cap.
We also have the option of designating Baas as a post June cut and save an extra $3,225,000 against the 2014 cap after June 1.

I would imagine Snee and Baas would only be back if the front office was pretty sure on their medical status.

I do like the idea of Veldheer though.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

deleted....

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm wondering about Defense. Clearly we need a change. Personally I like sticking with the base 43 buuuuuutt with Tuck becoming a FA is it time to consider a switch to a 34? Moore and Kiwi as potential OLB? Could JPP play the 5 tech?
I am not sure there will be any changes on D unless Perry Fewell departs for greener pastures
Old 01-04-2014, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I doubt Baas or Snee are back and their contracts isn't prohibitive

If Snee is cut or retires, we would have in $4,500,000 dead money, but we also free up $7,250,000 in cap room.

If Baas is cut, we would have $6,450,000 in dead money and free up $1,775,000 against the cap.
We also have the option of designating Baas as a post June cut and save an extra $3,225,000 against the 2014 cap after June 1.

I would imagine Snee and Baas would only be back if the front office was pretty sure on their medical status.

I do like the idea of Veldheer though.

Do you see us sitting on that kind of dead money bc I don't. Not for players who are still capable starters. Only thing I have wrong with them is the fact that they can't stay healthy and aren't dependable. But with boothe, Mosley, and brewer along with a high draft pick I think we'd be covered. Plus adding a starting LT gives us some flexibility with Beatty and Pugh and strengthens the unit.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I am not sure there will be any changes on D unless Perry Fewell departs for greener pastures
Im still under the impression his contract is up with us until I read otherwise.

I have my fingers crossed for Spags returning.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
That is why I have never bought into Will Hill. Doesn't matter how well he plays, he can't be relied upon.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do you see us sitting on that kind of dead money bc I don't. Not for players who are still capable starters. Only thing I have wrong with them is the fact that they can't stay healthy and aren't dependable. But with boothe, Mosley, and brewer along with a high draft pick I think we'd be covered. Plus adding a starting LT gives us some flexibility with Beatty and Pugh and strengthens the unit.
As you say they can't stay healthy

So you suggest we should invest around $20 million in two guys who can't stay healthy

or we could recover around $12 million and reinvest it in players who can stay healthy
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Im still under the impression his contract is up with us until I read otherwise.

I have my fingers crossed for Spags returning.
You could be right.

Quite frankly I would like to see us move on from Fewell and a 3-4 would be interesting. Personally I think we could move in that direction if we wanted

I just am not sure Coughlin would go that way. He has been pretty firm with 4-3 defences.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Also, if we let Nicks walk bringing Manningham back on the cheap and finally getting Eli a top notch TE would be huge. He needs a big bodied safety blanket. Jace Amaro and Eric Ebron should have significant value to us.
I totally agree that a quality TE would be huge, however, neither Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron are adequate blockers. We would be in much the same situation as Travis Beckum (though both are better receivers). Both are more in line with over-sized WRs.

We are better off with a TE who is a good blocker as well as a good receiver, I think Austin Seferian-Jenkins is a better fit for our current offensive scheme.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

No surprise, Mike Sullivan is in the running for the Giants offensive coordinator position.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanRaa...JordanRaananNo surprise, Mike Sullivan is officially in the running for the Giants offensive coordinator I position.

While not necessarily my preferred option, Sullivan is a good solid option.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No he's not.