Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Kyle Shannahan? Is he worth considering as an OC option?
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I don't know his work. I do like how these other teams are turning over every rock. I wish we would do that. Best hire was Spags who I didn't know and thought it was a great find.

But I wish we had better OC options coming in for interviews.
What about Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor? I hadn't heard much about him, but he has an interesting history

1994–2000 Cornell (assistant)
2001–2002 Buffalo (OC/QB)
2003 Atlanta Falcons (assistant) under Dan Reeves
2004–2005 Washington Redskins (assistant) under Joe Gibbs and Joe Bugel
2006–2007 Washington Redskins (QB) under Joe Gibbs, Joe Bugel and Al Saunders
2008–2009 Seattle Seahawks (QB) under Mike Holgrem (2008)/ Jim Mora Jr and Gregg Knapp (2009)
2010–2012 Virginia (OC/QB)
2013– Philadelphia Eagles (QB) under Chip Kelly and Pat Shurnur

Picking up an Eagles assistant worked pretty well last time
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good find. Yeah that's good to bring him in. I like who he was with and that's a good thing.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pugh was named to the all rookie team by the PFWA. Nice honor.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Giants have hired Ben McAdoo as Offensive Coordinator!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-coordinator/
Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup shocked it's not Sullivan. I'm all for this as it finally gives us a new look.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NYG will be erect.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
NYG will be erect.
If I've got a semi right now then NYG will need to call the ****** helpline.

Really V iagra is blocked?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Ben McAdoo's coaching experience

- 2012-2013 Green Bay Packers (quarterbacks coach)

- 2006-2011 Green Bay Packers (tight ends coach)

- 2005 San Francisco 49ers (assistant offensive line/quality control coach)

- 2005 Stanford (tackles/tight ends)

- 2004 New Orleans Saints (offensive assistant/quality control coach)

- 2004 Akron (assistant coach)

- 2003 Pittsburgh (offensive assistant)

- 2002 Fairfield (offensive line/tight ends)

- 2001 Michigan State (special teams/offensive assistant)

I didn't realise that he has been so closely involved with coaching the offensive line, I find that very encouraging.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Seems like we'll see some type of shoot off of the WCO. Lots of short passes and take a few shots deep as the D gives us some room. Get Eli a play book!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Yup shocked it's not Sullivan. I'm all for this as it finally gives us a new look.
As soon as we started looking at other options all of whom were from different systems, it became clear there would be significant changes.

I think Coughlin' preference was Sullivan
Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

With McAdoo being handed the keys to the offense, will there be changes to the coaching staff?

I imagine we will use elements similar to the Packers offense, will be also switch to a zone blocking scheme?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I doubt the Packers let other coaches walk over here. I think we keep most of the same staff. Pope certainly isn't going anywhere. Might be a change or two at most.

A good coach adapts to his players. Not sure if we have the horses for a ZBS even though we will most likely be bringing in a few new OL.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excited for a new voice, lets see what he says in his interviews.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I doubt the Packers let other coaches walk over here. I think we keep most of the same staff. Pope certainly isn't going anywhere. Might be a change or two at most.

A good coach adapts to his players. Not sure if we have the horses for a ZBS even though we will most likely be bringing in a few new OL.

I think we do. I don't think you consider Snee or Baas into the mix, but I think Beatty and Pugh are good options and we are reloading the Oline in some ways.

Quote:
In a power blocking scheme, size and power is everything. You want large athletes with top-end strength. Long arms are ideal in this scheme to reach all blocks and make up for limited athleticism. Power blockers typically identify their block pre-snap and must be able to drive block at every position.

The zone blocking scheme is the exact opposite. You are looking for lighter, more athletic individuals. Strength is not as important, and neither are long arms, as angled blocks help nullify most of the need for both. A zone blocker's most important characteristics are quickness and the ability to work as a unit to identify defenders on the go.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/6/4/43...-do-you-prefer

Here is some info on zone blocking schemes, I found interesting

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/18/...lines-identity

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/11/15...marshawn-lynch

It is also worth mentioning that many of the top NFL ground games use ZBSs
Old 01-14-2014, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm fine with switching up anything on offense. If they want to go to a ZBS then by all means do it. I'm just excited to finally see Eli in a different system.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

a little insight into McAdoo with some key points I found interesting.

I think McAdoo and Coughlin are going to be a good match
Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo, who will interview for the Browns head coaching job on Wednesday according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, received a ringing endorsement Tuesday from quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

“I sent him a text,” Rodgers told ESPN Wisconsin during his radio show Tuesday. “I said, ‘Make sure you put me down as a reference.’ Just a little pro athlete joke there, but I’m happy for Ben. Any opportunities he gets, he deserves. He’s a guy that works extremely hard. We had a long talk yesterday, and I just continued to echo the things that I felt about him and appreciate about him.''

Rodgers, who led the league with a 108.0 rating in 2012 with McAdoo, 36, in his first season as his position coach, raved about McAdoo's tireless approach.

"He’s a guy who really puts the time in. He’s got an incredible work ethic, and I think he’s really worked hard to become a better coach in the time that we’ve spent together and a guy who I really trust and appreciate for his approach and the way that he makes sure that his guys are prepared.”

McAdoo, who spent the previous six seasons coaching Packers tight ends, was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2012 when then-offensive coordinator Joe Philbin left to take the Dolphins head job and then-Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements took over as coordinator. At first, Rodgers was a little leery of a tight ends coach tutoring him. After all, he had been named NFL MVP and won a Super Bowl under Clements.

"(But) you can’t help but respect Ben the more time you spend with him because he really cares about his job,'' Rodgers said. “He listens when you talk. He asks good questions. He understands the nature of certain conversations, which need to stay in the room, which need to be filtered up the chain of command. I just think he’s a guy who wants to learn and really takes to heart the things that I say -- the things that he hears from Tom, and really tried to become a better quarterback coach every day. And he did.''

McAdoo, whose interview was first reported by Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, had the added challenge this season of coaching three different quarterbacks when Rodgers went down with a broken collarbone. With Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn at the helm, the Packers went 2-4-1 en route to an 8-7-1 mark and wildcard berth in the playoffs, where they lost 23-20 to the 49ers.

He’s a guy who really understands scheme and preparation and how to install plays,'' Rodgers said. "He did a great job the last couple years installing the red zone, and you saw him in front of the room every week. Every week he got more comfortable. More of his personality came out. There were jokes. There was an ability to control the room. Obviously the people who are interested in him for a head coaching job haven’t seen that, but to me, that’s an important quality of a head coach -- the ability to control a room with your speech with humor when necessary. I’m happy for him getting opportunities.”

It wouldn't be the first time Browns CEO Joe Banner has hired a Packers quarterbacks coach to be his head coach.

He prides himself on finding Andy Reid to coach the Eagles when he was an unheralded quarterbacks coach for the Packers. In fact, Banner was the only one to interview Reid that year, in 1999. Reid went on to lead the Eagles to five NFC Championship Games and the Super Bowl in 2004, where they lost to the Patriots.

Therefore, if Banner likes McAdoo, he won't let the fact that he's never even been a coordinator scare him off. Like Reid, McAdoo served as Packers tight ends coach before moving on to the quarterbacks (2012-13). He's expected to receive other interviews, but those were most for coordinator positions, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

McAdoo was thought to be a natural fit to become offensive coordinator of the Dolphins, where coach Philbin fired Mike Sherman on Monday. Philbin worked with McAdoo for six seasons and was his immediate boss for five.

McAdoo is represented by agent Bob LaMonte, who also represents another Browns' candidate, Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, 35. Gase was the first name to surface in the Browns' search -- the morning after Rob Chudzinski was fired.

Gase, who has received permission to interview with the Browns and Vikings, has decided to wait to interview until he's out of the playoffs. The Broncos host the Chargers on Sunday in the Divisional Playoffs.

LaMonte also represented former Browns President Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur, who were all let go by the current Browns regime.

The Browns have also interviewed Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and Patriots offensive coordintor Josh McDaniels. They've requested permission to interview Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but multiple reports say he's the frontrunner for the Penn State job.

The Browns are also interested in Auburn's Gus Malzahn, according to Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports, but no news of an interview has surfaced yet.

Despite missing seven games with the broken collarbone, Rodgers still managed to finish No. 5 in the NFL with a 97.8 rating under McAdoo this season.

In 2012, Rodgers not only led the NFL with his 108.0 rating, but also threw for 4,295 yards with 39 TDs against just eight INTs and was also named the starter for the NFC Pro Bowl squad.

As tight ends coach, McAdoo oversaw the growth and development of receiver Jermichael Finley, who in 2011 set or tied then-career highs in catches, yards and touchdowns, and became the first tight end in franchise history to record two seasons with 55-plus receptions.

McAdoo came to Green Bay from the San Francisco 49ers, and also worked for the Saints. In both jobs, he worked directly with Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who has been his mentor.

McAdoo has also worked at the University of Pittsburgh, and had a brief stint with Akron during the 2004 recruiting season. He began his college coaching career at Michigan State (2001) as a special teams/offensive assistant, and also coached offensive line/tight ends coach at Fairfield (Conn.) University in 2002.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...idate_ben.html

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-14-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yay! This is a ballsy move. A new system is what I waited so long for.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete 2m
Giants had 99 yds on HB & WR screens this season, 2nd-fewest in the NFL. Packers were 4th-most in the league with 528.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ve-coordinator

Quote:
Sullivan had been considered the early favorite due to his prior connections and knowledge of the offense, but some in the Giants hierarchy have been pushing Coughlin to consider a more drastic change, and the hiring of McAdoo indicates that is indeed possible.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:10 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

TC: "There will be change ... if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

NEW system

NEW

NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 2m

McAdoo promises up-tempo, attacking style offense. #nyg

So no delay of game? Up tempo.. Looks like TC got forced to do this. I have a hard time believing HE wanted this. But if he did do this, kudos to Old man Coughlin.

Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina 1m

TC noted that McAdoo came into their interview with two notebooks filled with ideas.

Last edited by NY+Giants=NYG : 01-14-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Jordan Raanan ‏@JordanRaanan 2m

Very interesting that Eli Manning played a part in hiring process. Spoke to McAdoo over phone last week. #giants

Probably didn't want to thrown under the bus with ball goes one way, WR goes another.

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 4m

Giants' official release says McAdoo will call offensive plays, something he's never done before.

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 49s

Ben McAdoo said he spent time looking at #NYG personnel last week in advance of his interview, which was Monday.

Quote:
“Here’s what I expect,” Coughlin said. “I think the players will respond to this. We’re going to try to compromise the system with what we have here. However, there will be change. And that change will be very positive and very well-received by our team and our players. And if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

Asked what kind of system he will install, McAdoo said, “We’re going to be an up-tempo, attacking-style offense. We’re going to play with good energy. And we’re going to rely on fundamentals.”
Old 01-14-2014, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm fine with switching up anything on offense. If they want to go to a ZBS then by all means do it. I'm just excited to finally see Eli in a different system.
I totally agree with you.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
TC: "There will be change ... if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

NEW system

NEW

NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW
NEW

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr 2m

McAdoo promises up-tempo, attacking style offense. #nyg

So no delay of game? Up tempo.. Looks like TC got forced to do this. I have a hard time believing HE wanted this. But if he did do this, kudos to Old man Coughlin.

Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina 1m

TC noted that McAdoo came into their interview with two notebooks filled with ideas.
It does look like Coughlin is on board with the need for change.

McAdoo certainly seems to have come prepped with ideas and notes.

I am quite excited about what will happen offensively
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm excited that he is a young guy as well. Perfect world, McAdoo comes in and blows the world away, TC retires next year, Fewell finally gets a HC gig elsewhere. McAdoo head coach, hires Spags as DC, Giants win next 10 super bowls!

Just kidding, I'll take getting back to average on offense and call it a great victory
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I wonder where is the BBD? Oh BBD! Where are thou? Look what gift we got for the new year, 2014. We hired a Whackadoo!